raistlin stats-at the top of power.

368 posts / 0 new
Last post
in any dl d&d book-did they have raistlin majere stats at the height of his power-when he was ready to battle the dark queen?
if they dont.-I plan on making my own D&D stats
from dl3e.com-is this close-dont i dont own the epic handbook or dlcs but want to use him in my campaign!
Male Civilized Human Wiz 5 / Wizard of High Sorcery 4 / Loremaster 6 / Archmage 5
Strength 9 (-1) Fortitude +25* Armor Class 37*
Dexterity 16 (+3) Reflex +18* Flat-footed AC 37*
Constitution 8 (-1) Will +23* Touch AC 6*
Intelligence 28 (+9) Alignment NE Base Attack +9
Wisdom 14 (+2) Speed 30 ft. Melee Attack +8
Charisma 16 (+3) Initiative +3 Ranged Attack +12
Hit Points 31 Size Medium

Special:
Archmage Abilities: Mastery of counterspelling, mastery of elements, spell power +3.

Enhanced Ability Scores: The Master of Past and Present template gives Raistlin a +2 bonus to his Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores. He has also used wish spells to add a +3 inherent bonus to his Intelligence score.

Loremaster Abilities: Bonus language (Istarian), greater lore, lore +15 (+17 synergy bonus), secrets (applicable knowledge, instant mastery, more newfound arcana).

Master of Past and Present: Raistlin is immune to mind-affecting effects, as well as effects that manipulate metabolism or time (such as slow, temporal stasis, or time stop).

Wizard of High Sorcery Abilities: Arcane research +2, item of power, moon magic, order secret (Magic of Hunger), tower resources.

Skills:
Appraise +8 (+10 alchemical items), Bluff +12, Concentration +15, Craft (alchemy) +32, Decipher Script +19 (+21 scrolls), Diplomacy +7, Disguise +3 (+5 in character), Gather Information +7, Intimidate +14, Knowledge (arcana) +37, Knowledge (geography) +18, Knowledge (history) +25, Knowledge (Palanthas) +11, Knowledge (planes) +18, Knowledge (religion) +13, Open Lock +4, Profession (herbalist) +7, Sense Motive +10, Sleight of Hand +10, Speak Language (Draconic, Dwarven, Ergothian, Nestari), Spellcraft +39 (+41 scrolls), Use Magic Device +7 (+11 scrolls).

Feats:
Brew Potion, Eschew Materials, Empower Spell, Heighten Spell, Maximize Spell, Scribe Scroll, Skill Focus (Knowledge - arcana), Skill Focus (Spellcraft), Spell Focus (evocation), Spell Focus (illusion), Spellcasting Prodigy.

Languages
Abanasinian, Camptalk, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Ergothian, Istarian, Magius, Nestari, Solamnic.

Spells
Wizard Spells per Day: 4/7/8/6/6/5/4/4/4/5; save DC 20 + spell level, 21 + spell level for evocation and illusion spells. Caster level 23rd.

Spellbook: Raistlin has access to all arcane spells listed in the Player's Handbook, Dragonlance Campaign Setting, and Age of Mortals supplement, with the exception of Magius's Light of Truth. Raistlin has access to many unique spells as well (most of which were created by Fistandantilus or himself).

Weapons:
Dagger of Magius (+11/+6 melee or +15 ranged, 1d4+2/19-20), staff of Magius (+10/+5 melee, 1d6+1).

Possessions (as NPC):
Dagger of Magius, orb of dragonkind (green), robe of the archmagi (black), staff of Magius, spell component pouch, tindertwigs (3).

Description:
5'9", 135 lbs., silver hair, golden eyes, 29 years old. Raistlin was born on Corij 17th of 326 AC by the Ergothian calendar (6/17/326).

Background:
Raistlin Majere is close to achieving that which he (and Fistandantilus) has sought for years: true power. He retains absolute control of the Tower of High Sorcery in Palanthas, and is the Master of Past and Present. His unceasing quest for power has thoroughly consumed him at this point, and Raistlin's current plot will chill the Wizards of High Sorcery to the bone.

Notes:
As the Master of the Tower of Palanthas, Raistlin has access to a vast amount of magical items and wealth if necessary.

Raistlin's AC and Saves have been modified by the orb of dragonkind (see the Dungeon Master's Guide for more information). Without the orb of dragonkind, he has the following statistics in place of those above: AC 21, touch 16, flat-footed 19; SV Fort +8, Ref +12, Will +23.
Why would Raistlin be a loremaster?
Too low. 1.5 is what I say. Fisty was Level 22 not-at the hight of his power. Raist needs about level 30.
We only have a few more months to wait for Raistlin's stats to come out, hopefully by New Years?
I would have thought that his concentration would be higher due to the various experiments and bindings that he did just in his tower...much less what he goes through when actually opening the portal to the abyss.

Wisdom should also be higher...this is a person who later on (after said height of power) helped the gods to find their wayward planet. The wisdom and intelligence to do that when they couldn't tells me that the score should be a bit more than "14". Just a thought anyway.

I might be wrong (which wouldn't be the first time) because I don't have the information right here in front of me...but isn't Sleight of Hand a rogue only skill?

I also agree with Treymordin, why would the Loremaster levels be there?
Why STR and CON of 9? It's well known that Raistlin is physically very weak. STR 6 and CON 5 would be more along the lines of the Raistlin from the novels, particularly after he took the Test.
actually the strength and constitution could be left alone or increased depending on whether or not you are counting his uses of the bloodstone pendant. After he went back and fought with Fisty he gained possession of the bloodstone and got the non-gold skinned body with the brown hair. That's how caramon found him when he went to assassinate Fisty.

At this point he was physically stronger (not anything more than average I would think) and he didn't seem to cough as much but it still happened after he left that time.
I am just glad to see someone who does not think that Raistlin was this all-powerfully evil deity, putting him somewhere at 30th or 40th level.

I do agree with thrune that raistlin was probably a little higher than 20th due to Fistandantilus, but I would probaly put him between 21st - 23rd. When he beat Fisty it was just barely. I mean raistlin did not wipe the floor with Fisty so he could not have been that much higher, in fact he might have been lower and fisty just underestimated how sly raistlin could be.

We all also know of fisty's disdain for magical items (crutches) where as Raistlin was willing to use just about anything he could to gain power. All players know that magic items can give a character a supreme advantage if used properly.

I mean hell if Raistlin had Tol's Null-stone he would have just walked up to fisty and stabbed his happy butt. :D :D :D
in fact he might have been lower and fisty just underestimated how sly raistlin could be.

I would agree with this. It was stated in the books also that Fisty had a bit of a superiority complex anyway. I think that there would have been a sever underestimation in the start of the fight that would have given Raist at least one or two really good hits in before the fight evened out into the major magic duel that it was said to be.

My only question is why do people see raistlin as using all these magical items. In the books I remember him using the Staff of Magius (never to it's full potential I believe) and the dagger's little wrist mount. I don't recall him being that big into using items as freely as other posts make it look. Wasn't it dalamaar that pointed out to Palin (I think or Tanis - darn this feeble memory) that raistlin considered such free use of magical items to be beneath him...that true power should come from within? I don't know I might be wrong.
Ok, so a question might be...

At what point is Raistlin at the height of his power? Just after defeating Fisty? Blowing up Zhaman Keep? Entering the Portal? After fighting all the baddies in the Portal?

Because I agree that he would be just above Fisty if it was at the point after defeating him, but if his skills increased even more so after that, like after fighting in the Abyss, you could probably argue 27th-28th level. It could look like this:

Wizard 8/WoHS 10/War Mage 2/ Archmage 7

Now that's just off the top of my head, without the books in front of me so be kind.
Could someone please tell me which novels best chronicle Raistlin's exploits? I'm participating in a campaign during the War of The Lance, but aside from that I don't know much of the world of Dragonlance............ at least not from a "timeline of events" standpoint.

I am, however, fascinated with Raistlin Majere and his rise to power.

Any help would be appreciated.
Could someone please tell me which novels best chronicle Raistlin's exploits?

Your best bets are going to the Chronicles Trilogy and the Legends Trilogy. The legends Trilogy is where the more powerful Raistlin would (the one that we are discussing in this post)
Main books that detail the lifestory of Raistlin majere.

Meetings sextet (mainly Dark Heart - Describes the birth of the twins and their early childhood, and The Companions - Raistlin shortly after the Test)

The Soulforge - Raistlin's years in the Magic academy and the test at the tower.

Brothers in Arms - The time Raistlin & Caramon signed up with mercenaries shortly after the test. (Also details Kit a little).

Brothers Majere - The tale of Raistlin & Caramon in the city of Mereklar

Chronicles Series - Raistlin & Caramon during the war of the lance.

Legends Series - Raistlin & Caramon after the War of the Lance (Kit comes into play here near the end)

The Second Generation - During Palin's (Raistlin's nephew) test at the tower of Palanthas, Palin encounters his famous uncle (whether it is really him or not nobody knows)

Dragons of Summer Flame - Raistlin's Infamous return from the Abyss (completely powerless though)

The War of Souls Series - Raistlin plays a small but pivotal part and even shows how he is respected by the gods of magic.

There are a couple short stories with Raisltin involved but I cannot recall them all, that are in the Tales series. The most famous of course being "Raistlin's Daughter" in which Raisltin gets down & dirty with an irda.
Thanks to both PolarBlizzard and darthsylver.
The Dragonorbs in Krynn are much different from the Orbs of Dragonkind in other worlds. You might want to look at the Tower of High Sorcery book to see what those differences are.
As the creator of said Raistlin, I might as well chime in here. This was a half-(something) experiment to see what Raistlin could potentially look like. These stats represent Raistlin right before the Legends trilogy. I might as well insert the disclaimer that neither ToHS nor WotL were out at this time (no Fisty stats to compare, no Dragonorb, etc).

While I'm at it, I'll briefly tackle some of the questions:

Loremaster: Raistlin acquired and hoarded knowledge. The loremaster doesn't have to be a seeker of knowledge "for its own sake", so I thought it was appropriate. More appropriate than giving him 10 levels of WoHS, at any rate.

Level: See above, this was before "Raistlindantilus".

Concentration: This was partly a skill-point thing - too many skills, too few skill points - but there were quite a few times where he barely summoned the willpower needed for a given situation, or to cast that important spell. That didn't scream "maxed ranks" to me.

Str/Con/Wis: Mostly based off earlier stats. As far as "godly Wisdom", he certainly didn't realize that his efforts at godhood would upset a primal force of creation (the Balance). He had enough Wisdom to realize his mistake when it was waved in front of him. And if you knew Tas and your world vanished, would it take you 38 years to wonder where the little guy went?
Levelwise, Raistlin shouldn't be past 18. Second Edition players can back me up on this. The gods of Krynn are much more meddlesome than those of other worlds. Heroes that reach a certain level of power are removed to keep the balance. Now, there are many ways to increase Raistlin's powers without just giving him levels. A template for Master of Past and Present is one idea, although I don't agree on how it is displayed here. The source of Raistlin's greatness was never blatant power, it was always in applying the minimal force in the right place to achieve desirable results. This is shown in his mentality, he never displayed his true power, always keeping something back. Quite simply, stop trying to pour levels on the guy, he doesn't need them. Even Palin only had 19 levels, and in terms of raw magical talent, he held the better hand.
Levelwise, Raistlin shouldn't be past 18. Second Edition players can back me up on this. The gods of Krynn are much more meddlesome than those of other worlds. Heroes that reach a certain level of power are removed to keep the balance. Now, there are many ways to increase Raistlin's powers without just giving him levels. A template for Master of Past and Present is one idea, although I don't agree on how it is displayed here. The source of Raistlin's greatness was never blatant power, it was always in applying the minimal force in the right place to achieve desirable results. This is shown in his mentality, he never displayed his true power, always keeping something back. Quite simply, stop trying to pour levels on the guy, he doesn't need them. Even Palin only had 19 levels, and in terms of raw magical talent, he held the better hand.

That was only ever applied in 1ed. It was retconned for 2ed and has remained gone for 3.0/3.5. And even in 1ed Raistlin went beyond the 18th level restriction, check Dragonlance Adventures.

And no, I am not a power gamer nut. I don't like Raistlin at all, but I he does deserve correct stats. Comparing with Fisty's current stats well before PC0, when Raistlin enters the Abyss, he should probably at 25th/26th levels.
Fantasy is my passion, insanity is my lifesblood. "I am a Knight of Solamnia. I am the hand of Paladine, of Kiri-Jolith, and of Habbakuk on this world. You are on Krynn. You are mine, Queen of Darkness." —Huma Dragonbane, The Legend of Huma For he today who sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother - William Shakespeare
I think he reached about 22 level in 1e. He got beyond the 18th level limit as part of the deal I think he made with Takhisis (prior to him stabbing her in the back I believe).
No problem Zaleus, that what we here for.
I would hope Raistlin would be at least 29th-level.
Maybe (CE male human wizard 10/black robe 10/war wizard 4/archmage 5).
Remember, he has to be high enough to pierce Takhisis's spell resistance at least on a roll of 20 (assuming Takhisis has a Divine Rank of 16 and hasn't taken the Increased Spell Resistance Salient Divine Ability).
(assuming Takhisis has a Divine Rank of 16 and hasn't taken the Increased Spell Resistance Salient Divine Ability).

Assuming Takhisis has stats, which she doesn't.

Cheers,
Cam
Personally, I don't think statting out the Krynnish deities is such a bad idea. More than in many other campaign settings, the gods of Krynn are like very powerful mortals. They have emotions, thoughts, ideas, allegiances, plots, and favourites. It is shown that the gods can be decieved, bargained with, exploited, duped, et c. Really, there is little difference between them and mortals except power level.

The fact that Raistlin expoited and then challenged Takhisis tells me that she is a creature worthy of game statistics. I mean, certainly, most Dragonlance games never will, and shouldn't, go so far as to be a deicidal power-fest-- but, it was appropriate to Legends and could prove appropriate again to Dragonlance DMs interested in running a similarly epic and fantastical campaign.
Actually Takky does has stats.

HP = -10. :D :D :D

And there were stats for the gods in DLA, they just need to be converted, should the DM wish to use those of course. Or the DM could simply make up their own stats. With either fair stats or with insanely powerful stats. Just because there is a deities book out, does not mean that the DM must use those rules.
Actually Takky does has stats.

HP = -10. :D :D :D

For a moment, I thought you were scribbling an algebraic formula that would instantly prove both what Takhisis' stats were and the number of coffee grounds in a filter when x is the size of the filter. I thought you were gonna bust some quadratic expressions all over my a55.

All better now.
The only items that it was ever really stated that Raistlin used in the novels were his staff and dagger, the dragon orb, and the scroll that charmed Bupu.
You give me too much credit Rooks. To think that I, the mighty darthsylver, could actually make sense out of algebra. I am ppowerful, but not that powerful. :D :D
You give me too much credit Rooks. To think that I, the mighty darthsylver, could actually make sense out of algebra. I am ppowerful, but not that powerful. :D :D

Only the wicked are, my friend. Only the wicked.
Plus don't forget we don't know exactly what the Bloodstone will do in 3.5. So we may be wayyyyy off on the levels. I hope they don't go crazy with it, but I would say close to 30th. After he beat Fisty, he still did many things to gain more power. But he also used XP going through time, creating the time-orb-thingy for Astinus.
The other thing is, that I do not count after he defeated the first god. When he beat the first god, whatever god that was, he became a god himself. I do not believe that gods should have so that PCs can fight them. It is good to have stats so that you know how they stack up against other gods but that is it.
Even against other gods, they shouldn't have stats. Just make a judgement call in accordance to how you want your story to go if you have gods actually throwing down. As long as they're not throwing down mountains...
I wonder if you could reverse engineer some diety stats using the epic magic rules. For example, the DC for the cataclysm causing mountain epic spell would have been X, meaning that the main caster (paladine perhaps, although it wouldn't matter if they're supposed to be approximately equal) would have needed a spellcraft score of Y, with each of his two peers contributing Z.

This would give a rough estimate of how high of a caster level Takhisis would have had, giving a guess at how powerful raistlin would have needed to be to challenge her.
I wonder if you could reverse engineer some diety stats using the epic magic rules.

You could, potentially, but at that point it's an exercise in futility. One of the design intents behind 3.5 Dragonlance at the moment is that certain things just do not scale into game rules and remain story elements - there are many things the gods do which are essentially the Dungeon Master saying "this happens". Plot devices and DM fiat are actually the basis for many of the things that have happened and while it's possible you could reverse engineer some things ("Raistlin must have been X level to do Y!") you're relying then on getting some kind of near-accurate ballpark for something no player characters can actually hope of repeating.

Cheers,
Cam
Plot devices and DM fiat are actually the basis for many of the things that have happened and while it's possible you could reverse engineer some things ("Raistlin must have been X level to do Y!") you're relying then on getting some kind of near-accurate ballpark for something no player characters can actually hope of repeating.

While I enjoy, even relish, that a great deal of the Dragonlance campaign setting is based around the 'distant castle on a hill' philosophy it is a pity that sometimes this Romantic mood comes at the cost of well-balanced story-oriented gameplay. It seems that too many times DL DMs put storytelling ahead of storyplaying. Plot devices are wondeful, but when it limits the possibilities of a good game/story then I think it might have gone a bit too far.

I mean, I don't think any player wants to hear their DM say that what the Heroes of the Lance or Raistlin in Legends did is 'something no player characters can actually hope of repeating.' I would rather engineer deity or epic level spell statistics than make an arbitrary judgement that something only works as a plot device, but not if a player wants to repeat the action or aspires to similarly legendary ones. That's a real pity.

As we have seen evidence of novel characters challenging gods or performing similarly epic feats, I think it is only reasonable that responsible DMs take the time to make that possible for the player characters of their group. Not for the sake of powergaming, but for the sake of good story-oriented gaming.
I think he would have been a Rogue 1/ Sorcerer 5/ Wizard 5/ Wizard of High Sorcery 10/ Archmage 5.
He definately had sleight of hand. In 3.5, I don't think it's exclusive.
well after making this thread and the tips on here im going to make him and post him monday on here. i will make him l20 (dont own epic, will never buy it) with tome & blood + core rules
well after making this thread and the tips on here im going to make him and post him monday on here. i will make him l20 (dont own epic, will never buy it) with tome & blood + core rules

You'll see his stats in the Legends of the Twins sourcebook, due out later this year. You won't see any rules from books like Tome & Blood (which is a 3.0 sourcebook) or indeed any of the Complete series, but I'm fairly sure they'll work.

Cheers,
Cam
You cant mix sorcerer and wizard levels in Dragonlance.
for the gods couldnt you just find a god with stats in Deities & demigods close to takisis/paladine/whatever
i wont end up buying dlcs-i will continue reading it-great world
but the world is just to detailed and fleshed out for my tastes
for example
when you play a dlcs/fr campaign you have to play in the history of dl/fr- you cant make up your own wars and things
in a homemade you choose what happens!
i guess im just anti-campaign setting
when you play a dlcs/fr campaign you have to play in the history of dl/fr- you cant make up your own wars and things

My understanding is that Legend of the Twins (once it's released) will have ideas for alternate histories on Krynn - guidelines for playing all sorts of "What If" games. Make up your own wars to your heart's content!

(Not that you need that sourcebook to do that sort of thing, but it will be specifically addressed therein, if my understanding is correct.)