Athasian Emporium Released

79 posts / 0 new
Last post
At long last, and after much teasing, a beta release of the Athasian Emporium is available at Athas.org. This is a playtest release of more than a hundred magic and psionic items, both new and old. The Athasian Emporium also provides informations on vehicles, equipments, poisons and poison-related feats, drugs, foods, and currency, as well as introducing many new weapons and armor. All that and more for help running a Dark Sun campaign.

I’d like to personally thanks everyone you worked on the project, as your help, however great or small, was much appreciated.

Please submit playtesting feedback to templarate at lists.athas.org
yay!
Merry Christmas, everyone!
You guys sure took your time on this one...still, it looks half-readable. I'll give it a try...

:P

Heheh, I suggest printing the monster and reading through it in front of your fireplace on a long, cold winter night. Cup of steaming hot coco to boot. Worked for me! Enjoy, everyone! :D
Now that's a nice one! I am going to have a lot of reading for the next 3 weeks!

Aaah. That's nice. Well done peoples!
The Siltskimmer Page - www.siltskimmer.org
Just downloaded it. Awesome work guys! A real tour de force. Congratulations!
Just downloaded Meth looking pretty good gonna read it in this days lol in the ofic spare time lol
So do errors and typo's go here or under playtest feedback?
So do errors and typo's go here or under playtest feedback?

Put them here. For now, anyway. I'm working on a site redesign, one of the goals is to have entry forms for errata ... but it's not ready for primetime just yet.
flip Athas.org overcouncil
Congratulations on the release, fellows. Some times I have been worried that you took on too much work and that the slow, yet steady pace could dwindle to a complete stop. I am glad my concerns were not warranted. Thumbs up.
The accessory is fantastic. The new weapons, armors and piecemeal rules are my favorite parts. The vehicles and cool new feats too... it´s hard to say.

Thanks athas.org!

Long life to Dark Sun!
wow... I can't stop drooling!!!
I hope we'll see people using the items on the boards, and that their home game reports from having used the items will be positive. I know that the LSH, which is currently being further developped, is now including AE items.
WELL DONE.
Thanks for the good words!

Me and the team are looking forward for playtesting results and comments by the community.

Merry Christmas to all and good reading!
I should also say you guys ROCK, this is a much needed and waited for resource. Thank You!

Anyway, typo: Page 6 Weapon List - you have 'Forearm Razor' in the list twice and your missing the 'Forearm Spear'.
Thanks guys for the good work! It's awesome!
Good work. I love the special materials. They give a great feel to material components.

I will post later with spelling and gramatical corrections. I must say that I am impressed at how well it was written, especially since English is not the native language of many contributors.
Put them here. For now, anyway. I'm working on a site redesign, one of the goals is to have entry forms for errata ... but it's not ready for primetime just yet.

Page 58, in the Weomre Bush/Jeipug Mite Sample Encounter section:

Characters are more likely to run into a dhev-sahr as a
solitary threat in the Crescent Forest.

I've checked the document, and I can't see another reference to a dhev-sahr anywhere else.
I've checked the document, and I can't see another reference to a dhev-sahr anywhere else.

It is from LSH, this is what you get when you reuse writing...
Pg 68:
Cleansing Flame Weapon Special Ability, last paragraph

Moderate evocation; CL 17th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, cleansing flame; Price +5 bonus.

Where is the spell, cleansing flame, required to craft it to be found?

I checked the SRD and the DS rules from athas.org and was unable to locate it.

Jack
Pg 68:
Cleansing Flame Weapon Special Ability, last paragraph

Moderate evocation; CL 17th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, cleansing flame; Price +5 bonus.

Where is the spell, cleansing flame, required to craft it to be found?

I checked the SRD and the DS rules from athas.org and was unable to locate it.

Jack

Mmm, we should add an hyperlink to the document's location on athas.org's website. It contains a bunch of spells from old 2E material converted by Bruno and Fabricio, entertainers and general good fellows from the far south. Cleansing flame is a spell from Defilers and Preservers: The Wizards of Athas, if you recall.

Any recommendations or thoughts about AE, Jack?
Would you consider adding human/demihuman flesh in your meat section:D

Halflings, Kreen, Gith etc may put value on it for trade espicially if its live slaves.

Fear is the Mind Killer

:D
Come on, we need to give GMs room to do *some* game aspects themselves. :P
Mmm, we should add an hyperlink to the document's location on athas.org's website. It contains a bunch of spells from old 2E material converted by Bruno and Fabricio, entertainers and general good fellows from the far south. Cleansing flame is a spell from Defilers and Preservers: The Wizards of Athas, if you recall.

Any recommendations or thoughts about AE, Jack?

Well obviously if other spells from non-standard sources are used, its important to call out their location.

My only other thought is that the Palm Braclet (and the psionic mask) are both very expensive, the players in my group were interested in them till they saw the cost and the time required to swap stones in them, both seem high to us, I would think both should likely be reduced (make the crystals the same sort of action as the swapping weapon/armour crystals from MiC perhaps?)

I'm sure some other thoughts occur to me, but I've really only skimmed over the document so far.

Jack
Snif.
My first gaming feedback! /in tears :D

Bruno and Fabricio's spells were supposed, IIRC, to be integrated in DS3 r7. Jon?

The swap time for gems was based off of the same mechanic found in Magic of Faerun, a 3.0 release. You say MiC updates similar swap times for other magic items? Can you provide a reference, please? Since we did all our items in the old style, I never bought MiC.

Palm bracelets costing too much? Could be, you also need to consider they take a glove slot and provide the equivalent of a feat, sometimes two feats (for gems with +2 to DC), and the "feat" is not set but can be swapped for another one affecting some other school, descriptor, etc. Pretty flexible. Maybe not in combat situations, but between encounters for sure.
Snif.
My first gaming feedback! /in tears :D

Bruno and Fabricio's spells were supposed, IIRC, to be integrated in DS3 r7. Jon?

Heh, have no fear, I have plenty of opinions (of varying value I'm sure).

The swap time for gems was based off of the same mechanic found in Magic of Faerun, a 3.0 release. You say MiC updates similar swap times for other magic items? Can you provide a reference, please? Since we did all our items in the old style, I never bought MiC.

Not familiar with whatever item you're referencing there, but the augment crystals in the MiC (pg 221 for general rules on them) take a move action to attach or remove (so two Move actions to replace one)

Here is the preview that describes them.

Palm bracelets costing too much? Could be, you also need to consider they take a glove slot and provide the equivalent of a feat, sometimes two feats (for gems with +2 to DC), and the "feat" is not set but can be swapped for another one affecting some other school, descriptor, etc. Pretty flexible. Maybe not in combat situations, but between encounters for sure.

My gut impression of them (with no playtesting at all) is that they should be more in the niehborhood of 10k-15k, as they take a slot, and grant a limited benefit, compare to the Orange Ioun stone, which is a generic +1 CL (not as good as the +1 (or higher) DC some of stones give you) but it is only 30k and slotless. I have trouble imagining a slotted item which provides am more limited (but ocassionally better) bonus being more costly.

I like the low cost of the stones, before I saw the cost of the braclet I thought they would be nice lower level items but the price puts them more along the lines of something an 18+ level character can afford, which is less good. So I would likely drop the bracelet/mask way down and potentially bump the better stones to about double (i.e. the ones which grant +2 bonuses).

Another option, is to make them slotless (particularly the mask which fights for space with a +int items and psicrowns) and put them in that a same 25k-30k range as the Ioun stone.

At the price as listed I figure they need to be slotless and hold more then one stone, but your mileage may vary. The wizards, psion, and cleric [yes the whole party are casters of one sort or another, grotesque no?] in my group (level 15-16) were unanimous in their opinion that they were too expensive, and fighting for useful slots (we use normal magic item 3.5 rules so at this level we have lots of them).

Just my rambling thoughts on the items in question

Jack

Edited to add: There are also some magic items (special holy symbols) in Complete Champion that give a +1 Cl to a specific school when used and they are 350gp each IIRC correctly, so there's a benchmark of sorts (for divine casters at least).
Thanks a lot for the feedback and references Jackmojo. Please keep them coming, they are very useful.

The pricing philosophy of wotC regarding items has changed with the advent of the MiC - they are now often priced more in regards to their relative usefullness than on straight formulas, like in 3.0, or even in most of 3.5 products.
The last items that were introduced to the AE, while done in the old writing style for the items, were priced accordingly to the new philosophy. But unfortunatly, this represent perhaps only 2-3% of all the items. (the MiC came out only a little ago while most of the items were done before that).

All playtesting regarding the actula use of the item, and their pricing regarding their usefullness is therefore very appreciated. You can be sure they'll be kept in mind when the items value is analyzed further. I'm sure other items will turn out so they can be priced less.
I'll consider all of this, the price drop and move actions to swap. Maybe also about raising the DCs.

Jack, your group uses ioun stones on Athas? Is it only in the wilderness, with no humanoids present? Ioun stones on Athas, to me, scream of "Oh, this object orbiting around me attracted your attention, did it? Why, yes, I'm a wizard, but I fail to /death" :D
I'll consider all of this, the price drop and move actions to swap. Maybe also about raising the DCs.

I actually think the items power level, in and of itself, is good for what they do. I'd personally prefer a price drop/usage alteration rather then a straight power increase.

Jack, your group uses ioun stones on Athas? Is it only in the wilderness, with no humanoids present? Ioun stones on Athas, to me, scream of "Oh, this object orbiting around me attracted your attention, did it? Why, yes, I'm a wizard, but I fail to /death" :D

Nah, none of us have those, I was just benchmarking from the SRD. Personally I doubt Ioun Stones exist on Athas, or if the do they're just earings or hairties or somesuch.

Jack

P.S. personally I tihnk the description of Ioun Stones is freaking stupid anyway
Great work guys! I've only skimmed through most of it while at work and probably won't get to look at it again in very great detail since school is starting up again soon, but this is pretty outstanding work. Good job and congratulations to everyone involved.

I'm looking forward to continually seeing new releases and hopefully 4th ed. won't tear too much of the older work apart (one of these days I will hunt down a good article on all the nuts and bolts of the new edition).
One of our DMs just started a new DS campaign and he is praising the Emporium.

PS: Having avoided encounters with multiple giants, poison attempts, a raiding party which ended with two unconscious characters and a blind wizard, the group was finally brought down by four feylaars and a renegade ranger. The few survivors are left behind in the jungle with no gear. Great first session in other words!
Wow, nice job people ... great thing to find after a year of abscence from the forums (& RP in general).

I guess you'll start seeing more of me again in here.
Congratulations guys on another great release. I have only had a chance to look at it briefly so far, but look forward to reading the entire thing soon.
Congratulations guys on another great release. I have only had a chance to look at it briefly so far, but look forward to reading the entire thing soon.

I'm looking forward to seeing more comments from you Band2, and everyone else by the way.
4E will bring new design guidelines, less reliance on items, and a slew of new things like tactics, implements, weird stuff never seen before. Items will take advantage of those, working hand in hand with them. Thus we'll come up with new, never before seen items, and manage to convert some of the current AE items to 4E format, but probably lots of stuff will be unconvertable and end up looking a lot different. Hopefully all for the better

:fight!: Bring on the feedback and playtesting on the current AE, though, as the 4E version - or whatever will be done with items for DS4 - will be a year or so away! If there's anything wrong or overlooked with the current items, we need to know it soon!
I'm looking forward to seeing more comments from you Band2, and everyone else by the way.

Ok, once I get through more of it, I will have some feedback. And I am going to try giving "playtesting" a whole new meaning.
Meth, stop stealing my playtesters! :fight!:
Penn - don´t make promises you don´t know if you can keep. No deadlines! :P
Penn - don´t make promises you don´t know if you can keep. No deadlines! :P

And what promise did I make, Jon?
I mentionned when 4E will come out, and that I'll be working on it with Meth.
Will some of the items be converted to 4E? Of course they will be. That's not a promess, it's just logical.
Am I missing something, here?