Athasian Heraldry

133 posts / 0 new
Last post
Here is my first banner; an idea for the heraldry of House Ardian. There was no information on the banner of House Ardian in Dune Trader. Tell me what you think, there'll be more to come soon.

IMAGE(http://images.ruhlthansage.multiply.com/image/3/photos/1/600x600/1.jpg?enctoken=UmFuZG9tSVbjGXo2RQ0nXOGr7.CPewdmTQo0OGrP7AHXsS3Dt7uLGXjNOvl2yS3j)
Might be my computer but could see nothing when i opened your link????
I encounter the same problem as Thom probably does - a blank page with indefinite loading time. I'm using IE 6.0.2900
I encounter the same problem as Thom probably does - a blank page with indefinite loading time. I'm using IE 6.0.2900

Same here, even tried firefox at home to no avail.

Try this link instead.

http://ruhlthansage.multiply.com/photos/photo/1/1.jpg?

Not sure where the link you have came from, doesn't even look like a properly formatted multiply link, heh.

Ah well, the one I posted should work.
Yup, same here.
Tssskkk, ohhhhhhhh, isn't Sage a cuty in that photo?!
Tssskkk, ohhhhhhhh, isn't Sage a cuty in that photo?!

Made me do a double take...

:bounce:
Made me do a double take...

:bounce:

ROCK'N ROLL BABY!!
ROCK'N ROLL BABY!!

Tíhíhíhíhíhí
Are you guys hiting on me? Cause if you are thats just weird

I think our coffees were just spiked this morning.

At least that's what I'm using as an excuse.

I blame Penn, it's all his fault.

I was wondering that myself when I was reading the last several posts!!

Anyway- Sage, great job. Would you be willing to do something like that for the merchant house Vordon from the Tryian Conspiracy adventure- I will begin running it next week and would love to have additional material to show the players.
I was wondering that myself when I was reading the last several posts!!

Anyway- Sage, great job. Would you be willing to do something like that for the merchant house Vordon from the Tryian Conspiracy adventure- I will begin running it next week and would love to have additional material to show the players.

Sure, I'll do that one next.
Sure, I'll do that one next.

You totally rock dude :D !!!!
You totally rock dude :D !!!!

He does, doesn't he?!

How dare you call yourself rhul-thaun with all that beard?!
How dare you call yourself rhul-thaun with all that beard?!

Yeah, he's got the wild hair thing down pat. But the beard has got to go!

Noooo... I love my beard! Besides, I think it perfectly exceptable for halflings to have beards.

NO WAY, the german Schnurbart RULES! I say it stays! Deutschland, Deutschland über alles!!!
NO WAY, the german Schnurbart RULES! I say it stays! Deutschland, Deutschland über alles!!!

The WHAT!! Exactly what is it you are talking about for all of us non-german speaking (and reading), uhhh, readers?

Sage- you should go Amish and shave the top lip- all the ladies like that
The WHAT!! Exactly what is it you are talking about for all of us non-german speaking (and reading), uhhh, readers?

Schnurbart = mustache

IRRC, he was just singing the 1st vers of the 1st strophe of the (old) german national hymn.

The lyric is translated like this:
Germany, Germany atop everything.

In germany it isn't welcome to sing it, as it has been the hymn of the nazi-dictated germany. I don't know if Master Ivan knew that, or was making a joke with it, but IMHO I don't think it's a very good idea to use this song.
o!!
Poor Sage... he's getting hit on by most of the men here... but non of the women... hmm.. Interesting, very interesting.

I'm not going to say anything else....

"As Wolfheart walks out of the room he swears he can hear the song YMCA faintly in the background"

Sorry guys I couldn't help it!
Funny image.. a Mul, halfling, human and dwarf singing and dancing to the YMCA song.

But that actually makes me wonder what kind of music and instruments as well as dances that Athas might have. It would most certainly be as varied as the city states themselves, but what styles and would their be a interest in cross culture music. What Cities would place more importance on the voice or the look of the singer and would bards be the sole "voice" of music or would there be professional musicians as in a SK's court or maybe making a living entertaining at a local tavern.

To many holes were left in the world then DS got cut..

I think i'll start a thread for music...
I've finished the second banner; house Vordon as requested :D . It was much easier than the first. There isn't much you can do with a description like "Black Diamond on a Red-Brown Field", but I tried to make the textures interesting. You can only really see them in full size so check it out ;) .

Hope this link works for yah: House Vordon Banner
Thnaks again Sage- I will print it and use it next weekend!
Maybe it's me, but wasnt it suppose to be a black "diamond" ? Vordon heraldry look much more to a black square than diamond? (although it's clean, but IMO)
The Siltskimmer Page - www.siltskimmer.org
I'm working on Gulg's heraldry and will try to post shortly.
Maybe it's me, but wasnt it suppose to be a black "diamond" ? Vordon heraldry look much more to a black square than diamond? (although it's clean, but IMO)

You'd be surprised as to how medieval and renaissance people described heraldry.
Our way of thinking, in this modern era, is wayyy too photorealistic: a diamond can be a depiction of an actual diamond (facets, light catching in the matrix, etc) or it can be a lozange.

Technically squares are diamonds when turned so that one of their corners points straight down. From my knowlege of heraldry (and english terminology), I believe that was what was meant. I could have made it a Non-Square Rhombiod Diamond (not sure if that's actually a word, but the root is: Rhombus), like the diamond from the typical suit of diamonds in a deck of cards, but I thought that a square one looked better and reminded me more of the strength of iron. A Non-Square Rhombus ( ;) or Equilateral Parallelogram if you prefer) looks squished and weakened in comparision to a square one.
Thats right Sage- BIG WORDS RULE!!

Technically squares are diamonds when turned so that one of their corners points straight down. From my knowlege of heraldry (and english terminology), I believe that was what was meant. I could have made it a Non-Square Rhombiod Diamond (not sure if that's actually a word, but the root is: Rhombus), like the diamond from the typical suit of diamonds in a deck of cards, but I thought that a square one looked better and reminded me more of the strength of iron. A Non-Square Rhombus ( ;) or Equilateral Parallelogram if you prefer) looks squished and weakened in comparision to a square one.

Aaah, yes like Pen and you just told, you probably are right about the ancient heraldry. I will have to add that to my long list of thing to read Oh! Btw, in french, in a deck of cards, the diamonds 13 cards set is called "Carré" which is "square", not diamond.

If you want to use these nice words like Rhombus and such, I got no trouble, I am a sciences teacher (no need to translate) ;)

I didnt imply that your heraldry wasnt cute (which is cool in fact). I just wondered about the pictogram over it.
Hey there, I made the INIKA banner to see if I still knew how to get photoshop working.

Inika Heraldry
IMAGE(http://www.siltskimmer.org/_arts/_heraldry/inika.jpg)

Next one
House Inika Banner

A plain gold circle on a black field, not much to work with here, :D so I used a minor lighting effect to make it look more interesting.
Hey there, I made the INIKA banner to see if I still knew how to get photoshop working.

Inika Heraldry
IMAGE(http://www.siltskimmer.net/_arts/_heraldry/inika.jpg)

OK. OK. you win. you posted first!
I like both of the Inika signs- but I gotta say that Grummore's is a bit snappier- nothing againts your skilz Sage, but you gotta agmit that he did a great job.

Here is a fresh for each of you :D Keep up all the great work.
Next one:
House Shom Banner

This one turned out well. Luckly my wife had recently added a dragonfly brush to the brush set making things a lot easier than they would otherwise have been.
Next one:
House Shom Banner

This one is your best yet- love the dragonflys BTW.
This one is your best yet- love the dragonflys BTW.

Yah, I think it looks the most like real heraldry.
ARGL ! :D

You beated me on this one though!

Shom Heraldry
IMAGE(http://www.siltskimmer.org/_arts/_heraldry/shom.jpg)

Sign In to post comments