Oriental Adeventures and Rokugan FAQ

77 posts / 0 new
Last post

Oriental Adventures and Rokugan FAQ

Thanks to the other FAQ maintainers.

---------
IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/global/images/products_dndacc_882440000_lgpic.jpg)IMAGE(http://www.alderac.com/d20/images/cover_rokugan.jpg)

Q: What is the purpose of this FAQ?
A: The purpose of this FAQ is to answer the more commonly asked questions on this forum, relating to Oriental Adventures or Rokugan.

Q: What is Rokugan?
Rokugan is an Asian campaign setting based on the Legend of the Five Rings trading card game. It is published by Alderac Entertainment Group. The Legend of the Five Rings website can be found > here <.

Q: Are there FAQs more appropriate to my other questions?
A: Yes. The majority of the current FAQs can be found in the Boards FAQ & Archives Forum.

Q: How can I submit new Q&A or corrections to this FAQ?
A: Just reply to this thread with your Q&A or correction, and every so often I will incorporate it into this FAQ.

Q: Where can I get online Errata for these books?
A: The Oriental Adventures Errata is available at the Official D&D Website. As of this moment Rokugan has no online update available.

Q: How is this FAQ organized?
A:This FAQ is organized into 2 sections, one for Oriental Adventures, and one for Rokugan. These sections will progress similarly to the chapters of their books, eg Q&A on Oriental Adventures monsters will be near the end, while Q&A on classes will be near the front.

Q: Why aren’t you doing anything on Kara-Tur?
A: This FAQ does not include a section on Kara-Tur as Rokugan has ‘overtaken’ it as being the ‘standard’ Oriental Adventures campaign setting.

[u]Note:[/u] This FAQ is written for 3.0, as both books are currently printed with that editions rules. However, there is a 3.5 rules update to Oriental Adventures, found in Dragon Magazine #318.

Oriental Adventures

Q: Can Hengeyokai use feats, such as Flying Kick while in animal form?
A: In accordance with other rules, the Hengeyokai may use these feats if the animal would be able to use them. This means that the animal must have appropriate ability scores (such as Strength), and meet any other requirements.

Q: How does Level Adjustment for Hengeyokai work?
A: Basically you are 1 level higher, but instead of having an extra level in a class, you have a bunch of funky racial abilities. If you’re just starting a new campaign, this means that you will either be more powerful (and get less experience) than the other party members, or they will be 2nd level, while you will be 1st. For a more detailed answer please visit the Races Forum. Note: Dragon has released an update containing a hengiyoki without Level Adjustment.

Q: I think there should be a Ninja core class. Why isn’t there?
A: On his website, James Wyatt answers that question [link currently unavaliable]. Basically they wanted any character to be able to be a ninja, so made it a Prestige Class. In Rokugan there is a Ninja core class, and heretic8888 has created a very good Ninja core class, the The Shinobi No Mono.

Q: I want to play a Geisha, how can I do this?
A: There is no official Geidha core class, but there are a number of ways you could use to play one. You could use the Bard in the Players Handbook for this, but that is up to you and your DM.. Sleight modification of the abilities and skills will give you a decent Geisha character. Alternatively, in Rokugan there is a Courtier core class, which works very well for a Geisha.

Q: There is now a Samurai class in Complete Warrior, should I use this or the one printed in Oriental Adventures or Rokugan?
A: You may use either, as both are considered official. However, on a personal note, I prefer the Oriental Adventures version, as it is more flavourful.

Q: Can Wu-Jen and Wizard swap spell lists, and vis versa?
A: The official answer is no, but I like to allow them to do it. It just gives them more options, and why not do it?

Q: Where is the great throw feat?
A: It was accidentally not printed, but it can be found in the Oriental Adventures Errata.

Q: How do I make, say, a Japanese campaign setting?
A: It’s really pretty simple, just chose the core classes, prestige classes, etc that you feel you want in your campaign. After that you can add more if needed. Please refer to the Dungeon Masters Guide for more information, or page 201 of Oriental Adventures.

Q: How does the Shadowlands Taint work?
A: There are two types of Taint, one described in Oriental Adventures, and the other in Rokugan. The Oriental Adventure version has the effects of Taint listed on pages 234-235. The Taint Effects table on page 235 shows some physical effects of the Taint, but there is no mechanic governing this, and you (or your DM) will have to decide what happens and when. The physical effects shown on the table should have no in-game effects. The Rokugan Taint Effects are found on page 137 and have mechanics to govern the physical and mental effects.

Rokugan

Q: In the Families section, each family has a favoured class. What does this mean?
A: Because Rokugan is mostly human dominated, the designers decided to introduce a bit of variety, and so gave each family a different Favoured Class. This class overrules your race’s Favourite Class, and this may affect experience, and multi-classing abilities.

Q: What stats for Nezumi do I use? There are stats in oriental Adventures and Rokugan.
A: This is entirely dependant on your DM. However, if you are using the Rokugan version, remember that each of the tribes have different stats and abilities.

Q: Some of the combinations of Void feats make very dangerous abilities. Is this legal?
A: Yes, it is. Void feats (and points) are very powerful, as I once encountered with a certain PC of mine.
I've stickied this thread for these boards. Thanks for putting up the FAQ.
Which should be used now as the core class in oriental adventures, specifically Rokugan. Should the one in the Oriental Adventures be used, or should the one from the Complete Warrior be used?
In Rokugan there is a Ninja core class, and heretic8888 has created a very good Ninja core class, the The Shinobi No Mono.

W00t!! Mad props f'me!!

Which should be used now as the core class in oriental adventures, specifically Rokugan. Should the one in the Oriental Adventures be used, or should the one from the Complete Warrior be used?

Whichever your DM okays. Personally, and in terms of flavor, I'd use the one in OA/Rokugan.

Laterz.
Bait the Bard - your link to James Wyatt's "Why there isn’t a Ninja Core Class", points to the races forum instead of his site.

I also think that personal opinions should be clearly stated as such; like using a bard for a Geisha is purely just an opinion.

Fallentopaz - The OA and Rokugan Samurai are still the official Samurai for the Rokugan setting and OA rules. Rokugan has not been updated to 3.5, but James Wyatt has published a 3.5 update for OA including updating the OA Samurai in #318 of Dragon Magazine. If the DM want to use the CW Samurai instead that is there call to make. CW is a collection of options for using in your campaigns if you want.
Note: many people (myself included) don't like the CW Samurai as it is restricted to one fighting style and would only suit one type of Rokugan Samurai - those of the Dragon Clan.
can you tell me what 3.5 updates to the OA there was? Is Iajitsu focus still there, what changes to the samurai is there?
Thanks for pinting those things out. I'd knew there would be something :embarrass

- the annoying bard
There seem to be quite a few threads popping up lately about Wu Jen--Wizard, Shugenja--Wizard, etc. classes swapping spells. You might want to add in a section about that with your next revision.
Yes, I'll do it whn these boards speed up, and I have more time.
can you tell me what 3.5 updates to the OA there was?

The only "3.5 update" (a la Dragon #318) to the Samurai class is that the Samurai can now receive an Honorable enhancement to his ancestral daisho around level 3 or 4. Everything else in the class is unchanged.

Is Iajitsu focus still there, what changes to the samurai is there?

Yes, Iaijutsu Focus is still there --- although, now a few of the OA skills are obsolete. I suggest picking up Dragon 318 if you want all the details (as well as a horribly written Cheesy Ninjer class).

Laterz.
Why are then Vanara not mentioned in the Monsters chapter, or indeed at any point after the class descriptions? What Type are they?
Yeah, that is odd.. I don't know, it must have just been ommited. I assume they would be Monstrous Humanoids, but that's all I can tell.

- Bait
The "monster" writeup for Vanara was put in the Mahasarpa Campaign setting web enhancement since it was accidentally left out of the book. I'd have to check, but I'm pretty sure they're simply Humanoid type. If they were Monstrous Humanoids, it would have been noted in the Player Race section.

I beleive stats for the goad were also put in the web enhancement, since the weapon was pictured, but no stats were given in the book.
IMAGE(http://fp.buy.com/db_assets/prod_images/185/30806185.jpg)

What is this book?
Changes should be made to the question about Hengeyokai. The update from dargon has deleted the level adjustment. Also the taint rules for Rokugan are on page 137.
In this FAQ I am not inculding any material from Dragon, unless it is avaliable online, as some people may not have acces to it, and it may be confusing. Thanks for the page.

And Drizzit, no clue as to what that book is..

- Bait
Yeah, it's wierd. I saw that book in waldenbooks once, but postponed buying it, and next time I came back, only the normal copies were there. Now it's like it's been covered up by some government agency...
Begins humming X-Files theme...
Originally posted by Drizzt Clone
IMAGE(http://fp.buy.com/db_assets/prod_images/185/30806185.jpg)

What is this book?

The runner-up cover art for OA?

You know, in case the current cover art cannot fulfill its duties, the runner-up becomes the new cover art.
Perhaps an addition should be made to the FAQ in regards to which AEG books are actual supplements for the d20 Oriental Adventures Rokugan game, and which are for AEG's own propietary game.

I'm a d20 player (obviously, hence why I'm on this board), but can't figure out which supplement books on AEG's page are for use with d20. I'm assuming the "secrets of..." books, are d20, while the "way of..." books are non-d20, but I'm probably incorrect.

Any help with this?
I'll look into it. However, I have a pretty busy scedule this week, so it will probably be up sometime next week.

- the annoying bard
I'm assuming the "secrets of..." books, are d20, while the "way of..." books are non-d20, but I'm probably incorrect.

Hrmmm.... well, I can't speak for the "way of..." books as a whole, but the Way of the Ninja suplement that I have mostly contains material about D20 Oriental Adventures. L5R is only sparesely mentioned here and there.
Way of the Clans is d10 L5R. Way of the Samurai/Shugenja/etc. is more or less dual-system.
I still like Kara-Tur more for a d20 setting. Are there any plans on a d20 version of it. I could also hardly say its over taken Kara-Tur. No one really plays it and if they do they seem to perfer the original version of Rokugan as opposed to the d20 rules, I know I perfer them.
What's implied in that sentance is the currently (as far as I know) Wizards have no plans for making any further publications featuring Kara-Tur. So it has been 'overtaken' by Rokugan ;)

-the annoying bard
I havent seen that many plans for furthering Rokugan's line ethier though. ;)
- shifty eyes -

Damn.. ;)
Are there plans to further the line? I've seen nothing mentioned whenever I look on the upcoming products list.
Wizards (as far as I know) has no further plans to extend the Rokugan line, by AEG is always putting out various Way of the .., and ll sort of other books involving Rokugan. Some of them are pure d20, while others are half d20 / half d10 (AEG's Rokugan Roleplaying Game)
What's implied in that sentance is the currently (as far as I know) Wizards have no plans for making any further publications featuring Kara-Tur. So it has been 'overtaken' by Rokugan ;)

-the annoying bard

Kara-Tur is mentioned in a few FR books, as it is a geographical region in that campaign setting (well outside the borders of most published maps, but it is there).
Kara-Tur is mentioned in a few FR books, as it is a geographical region in that campaign setting (well outside the borders of most published maps, but it is there).

Yes, tha is true, but Wizards arn't about to publish Kara-Tur; the campaign setting. I know its in some books, and is a location, but no books are going to be released specifically around it.

- the annoying bard
It appears that Hidden Emperor will be the last [dual-stat] product for Rokugan d20 to be released by AEG (IP owner of L5R).

A new edition (3rd) of L5R RPG will be released in the summer, using the d10-based Roll-&-Keep System.

No words on reprinting or revising OA.
Just cause it bears saying whenever there is a stickied thread ;) (really, any thread that mentions it at all) - bring back Kara-Tur! I like my old idea of "Beyond Faerun" and putting Maztica, Al-Qadim (never spell that one right) and Kara-Tur in one nice hardback.

:D Zeb
or would that be "the annoying Zeb"? :P

:nono:

Very smoothe there, though I don't think Wizards will take much notice of you

- the annoying zeb?
It appears that Hidden Emperor will be the last [dual-stat] product for Rokugan d20 to be released by AEG (IP owner of L5R).

A new edition (3rd) of L5R RPG will be released in the summer, using the d10-based Roll-&-Keep System.

No words on reprinting or revising OA.

So...I...see
Just cause it bears saying whenever there is a stickied thread ;) (really, any thread that mentions it at all) - bring back Kara-Tur! I like my old idea of "Beyond Faerun" and putting Maztica, Al-Qadim (never spell that one right) and Kara-Tur in one nice hardback.

Oh yeah. That would be sweet!
Three times in Rokugan it mentions a berserker class, and is kind enough to put it in the index. I cannot find such a class and wonder where is it described?
AFAIK, it's just another word for barbarian, with less of a pejorative connotation.
Three times in Rokugan it mentions a berserker class, and is kind enough to put it in the index. I cannot find such a class and wonder where is it described?

Yes, it is just their word for the Barbarian, if you look near the front of Oriental Advemntures (page 17), it has a little note on Barbarians in Rokuag/OA. Also, on page 29 of Rokugan, thee is a paragraph on Barbarians in Rokugan, and why they're called Berserkers.
The naga in the Rokugan book are listed as Large creatures, yet the Constrictor is clearly (according to the MM3.5 chart on sizes) a Huge creature. My only problem is having a 2000+ pound snake-man in a tea house? ;)

Seriously though, as naga are large do they get the +4 to grapple and -4 to Hide that's listed in the MM3.5 size chart?

Also, if a naga constricts an opponent, do they start causing damage right away or the next round?
My only problem is having a 2000+ pound snake-man in a tea house? ;)

If the naga even gets out of the Shinomen forrest without being attacked, he would need to get into town, that right there will be a whole new set of problems. Unlike standard DnD races, the non-human races of Rokugan are met with a great deal of prejudice. If your not openly attacked you will be shunned, though there are certain exceptions with great heros and alliances and Nezumi courtiers in the Emperor's court, the common villager, ashigaru, or outpost samurai aren't going to give a d*mn. Your not human, so you must be an oni.

Seriously though, as naga are large do they get the +4 to grapple and -4 to Hide that's listed in the MM3.5 size chart?

Also, if a naga constricts an opponent, do they start causing damage right away or the next round?

Yes, and yes.
This new forum is terrible. Try again Wizards.
My impression was that the naga weren't despised. Maybe I'll change that. I'm allowing all of the races and classes in OA and Rokugan d20. For the kokoburoru (sp?) they're the servants of the Lions and are generally high-ranking ashigaru at best. The spirit folk are on equal footing with humans and in some cases are either elevated or discriminated against, depending on typical human whim. The vanarans live in the Shinomen Forest with the naga and are generally the only race to ever be shaman, although there are the rare exceptions. I'm still working on hengeyokai and any suggestion would be great.

BTW, which part of my constriction question was your "yes" for?