d20 Warhammer 40,000 Website

1192 posts / 0 new
Last post
Too many people would associate it with the advertisment The High Lords of Terra made for the Inquisitor Inferno Pistol. Their slogan was:

"No one can withstand the irresistable allure of an Inferno Pistol!"

Crazy stuff... :P
I've got one tiny question. I just need it explained, then I'll probably be like: "Ooooh! He's right!", but now I'm more like: "In the name of the Emperor, why is that?"

Why is a energy cell for a lasgun the same price as the lasgun itself? Why is it so expensive?
A cell can be recharged by plugging it into a wall socket and comes with enough charges typically for 20 shots.

I guess I bumped up the price for an energy cell because it has unlimited shots (if you plug it into a wall regularly). This make the cell a one-time purchase, instead of bolt and auto ammo which you have to keep a large supply of.

A lasgun becomes a very low maintenance weapon. You never need to buy new ammo, the ammo has negligable weight so it doesn't encumber your character and with various mods it can be even more effective. (I'm partial to the solar charger mod myself.)

That said DC 16 seems unnecessarily steep now that I think of it, but I've never had any complaints about it before. It should probably be DC 14 so wealthy people can buy it without taking the 1 point hit to their wealth.

I'll see about changing that. I should also lower the DC for a Small Atomic Powerpacks since for some inexplicable reason its the same as for a Large Atomic Powerpack.

I'll edit this post when I've updated the figures appropriately.

EDIT: Okay. I officially updated the purchase DCs to 14 and 18 respectively. That should make the energy cell more affordable and the atomic powerpack too, but still keep the deadly meltagun out of reach for most low-level characters.
Type: Construct (living construct): As living constructs, Necrontyr have the following traits and immunities.
-Necrontyr have a Constitution score.
-Necrontyr with Intelligence scores are not immune to mind-affecting abilities.
-Necrontyr are immune to Poison, Sleep effects, Paralysis, Disease, Nausea, Fatigue, Exhaustion, effects that cause the Sickened condition, and Energy drain.
-Necrontyr are vulnerable to critical hits, nonlethal damage, stunning, ability damage, ability drain, and death effects or necromancy effects.
-Necrontyr can be affected by abilities that target living creature and by abilities that target consturcts.
-Necrontyr act differently when reduced to 0 or fewer hp. At 0 they are disabled like any character. Between 0 and -10 they are inert (unconcious and helpless). They are stable and do not lose additional hp unless more damage is dealt.
-Necrontyr do not need to eat, drink, sleep, or breathe.
Special Qualities:
Not Dead Yet (Ex) Most Necrontyr are covered in nanites that repair most damage. This has the following game effects. All damge is nonlethal damage, and follows all rules for nonlethal damage, except for weapons with DRP of 4 or higher. Such weapons deal lethal damage and follow all the rules for Massive damage.
Fearless (Ex) - "And the dead have nothing to fear." Necrontyr are immune to fear effects.
Level Adjustment: Not Applicable. Many Necrontyr lack Intelligence scores, making them unplayable. The rest are not suited to PC use due to Necron culture.

Originally I posted the Not Dead Yet as the regeneration of D20 Modern, as shown by the MSRD Troll. I editted it to allow Necrontyr to be knocked unconcious, only to rise and kill all since that better fits their natures. If you want to rename it to it's traditional table top version, that's fine.
Medium Construct (living consturct)
Hit Points: 25 (3d10 + 9)
MDT: 16
Init: +3
Defense: 13 (13 Touch, 10 Flat-footed)
DR: 18 / +4
BAB / Grap: +2 / +6
Attack: ranged +7 GAUSS rifle (2d10, x2, DRP 2, ignores 5 points of hardness) or melee +7 Claws (2d6, x2, DRP 2)
FS / Reach: 5 ft. by 5 ft. / 5 ft.
SQ: Necron traits, Not Dead Yet, Fearless, Natural Armor
Allegiance: Death of all life, C'tan
Saves: Fort +4, Reflex +4, Will +1
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 17, Con 16, Int -, Wis 10, Cha 1
Feats: Advanced Firearms Proficiency, Personal Firearms Proficiency, Simple Weapons Proficiency, Special Weapons Proficiency (High Energy)
Just reporting on the Squat question.
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php/topic,70533.0.html
http://www.criticalhit.co.uk/w40krp/WD111_Squats.shtml
The first URL is for a thread with a chat transcript with Jervis Johnson which should clear up any problems about the nature of Squats relative to Demiurg.
The second is a ton of background info on Squats, from WD111.

Please don't kill off the Squat! They may have been just SLIGHTLY stupid in 40k, but they had potential-after all, when the Squats were around, EVERYTHING was atleast SLIGHTLY stupid.
Not Dead Yet (Ex) Most Necrontyr are covered in nanites that repair most damage. This functions as the ability Regneration. All damge is nonlethal damage, and follows all rules for nonlethal damage, except for weapons with DRP of 4 or higher. A Necrontyr regenerates 8 points of nonlethal damage each round.

You may want to check out the way nonlethal damage works in modern. This ability doesn't quite make sense as you've posted it.

Also 40k doesn't use an Armour Piercing mechanic to ignore Regeneration so I'll probably avoid that as well. Necrons don't regenerate against high damage weapons and power weapons. I was thinking of making them vulnerable to "Disruption" attacks and "Atomic" attacks.

Ryltar: Thanks for the linkies! Everything is still slightly tongue in cheek every now and then: "I'll be back!"
You may want to check out the way nonlethal damage works in modern. This ability doesn't quite make sense as you've posted it.

Ture but I don't like how insanely powerful Modern's regeneration is. Nor does it fit the "I get knocked down, but I get up again, you're never goin to keep me down" quality that Necrontyr have. What I need to do is remove the healing rate. Then, if you do Massive damage with a non-DRP 4+ weapon you knock it out or daze it. 1 to 4 rounds later it tries to kill you some more. So, editting I go.
Also 40k doesn't use an Armour Piercing mechanic to ignore Regeneration so I'll probably avoid that as well. Necrons don't regenerate against high damage weapons and power weapons. I was thinking of making them vulnerable to "Disruption" attacks and "Atomic" attacks.

But this is much, much easier. Think about it and how easy it is before you just say, "No, it's stupid."
Reasons for simplicity:
1) Of the weapons already statted up, the ones that are supposed to kill Necrons are all DRP 4 or 5. However, not all of them (ex: Missile Launcher with Krak grenades) deal Disruption or Atomic damage.
2) If GW creates a new weapon that ignores the "We'll be Back" rules that you would want to classify as something other than Atomic or Disruption you can do so and still blast Necrons into tiny pieces.
3) Since I'm already looking at DRP to kill stuff, this makes life so much easier as a player and as a GM. I only have to look at the one piece of information that I use to determine if I hurt them or not, since they have Natural Armor I'm looking at it anyway.

Please don't say "Nope, bad idea" just because I'm the one saying it. I know you're better than that, but sometimes these irrational dislikes sneak up on us human beings. Right, done ranting now.
Hmmm.... how about DRP 5 then instead of DRP 4? Most weapons that can insta-kill have a DRP 5 anyway (except - again - for the krak missile, but this will never be perfect).

Plus Necrons should be a pretty high CR (they're more powerful than Space Marines and I would stick the average Brother Marine a Level 3 + stat mods). Consider beefing up the stats a bit. Here's the original Necron from Edition 1 of d20-40k. As with most stuff from Edition 1 the rules are too complicated and they need streamlining. If you're looking to do the Necrons this may help.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Necron Warrior: CR 6; Medium Construct; HD 6d10+10; hp 43; Mas –; Init +2; Spd 30ft; Defense 15, touch 12, flat-footed 13 (+2 dex, +3 disruption field); BAB +4; Grap +6; Full Atk +6 melee (1d6+2 [drp 0], slam) or +10 ranged (2d10 [drp 2], gauss rifle); Reach 5ft AL: Necron; SQ: self-repair, teleport, disrupt, DR/DRT: 20/+4 (natural); Fort –, Ref +4, Will –; Ld +0; Str 15, Dex 14, Con –, Int 6, Wis 14, Cha 8.
- Skills: Listen +13, Spot +13
- Feats: Altertness, Point Blank Shot, Double Tap, Necron Wps Proficiency.

Special
Construct Traits: Necrons pass all Will saves they are required to make and are immune to poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, disease and necromancy effects. Any effect that requires a fort save is harmless to a Necron. They are not subject to critical hits, energy drain, nonlethal damage, ability damage, ability drain or the effects of massive damage. Unlike other constructs, Necrons are skilled constructs and gain 4 skill points per level.
Self-Repair (Ex): The necron repairs hit points at an exceptionally fast rate. They heal a number of hit points a round equal to their hit dice. (So the necron above heals 6 hit points per round). This ability also makes necrons impervious to most types of damage. Necrons can reconstruct or reattach severed body parts. Severed parts that aren’t re-attached phase-out and return to the necron homing pylon to be re-used. Self-repair continues to work no matter how low the necron’s hit points drop restoring lost hit points from any damage. The only exception is that weapons which ignore or affect hardness apply those harness modifiers to the self-repair rate. A necron cannot repair damage from a melta-gun for instance. The Necron Lord (see below) has a fast healing rate of 28, but if he is hit by a dark lance or a blaster, he can only heal that damage at a rate of 10 per round (both dark lances and blasters reduce hardness to 10). If a weapon ignores 5 points of hardness, it reduces the necron’s capacity to repair damage from that weapon by 5 points per round. The only way to really kill Necrons therefore is to use highly specialized weaponry. Necron that have taken permanent damage can be repaired by a skilled expert. A DC 15 repair check repairs 1d4 hit points.
Teleport (Ex): The necron body is covered with tiny mites that allow teleportation. Any time a Necron is at serious risk he will phase-out and teleport to the nearest necron homing pylon. This could be in the Necron ship, in the Necron tomb or elsewhere. This teleporting can also be used in conjunction with other units such as the Monolith which has an internal pylon to rapidly teleport necrons across the battlefield. Necron lords carry special gear (called a veil of darkness) that is used to teleport to empty areas without homing pylons. All the parts of the necron can teleport in this way. Any severed limbs, dropped gauss rifles or fallen circuitry that was once part of the Necron will phase-out and return to the home pylon if it is not collected and reattached in 10 minutes. These nanites are also in constant communication; all necrons are simultaneously aware of each other within a given detachment of necrons. If one Necron is aware of a particular enemy they all are. They follow the same rules as a Hive Mind (see the Tyranid section) for the purpose of flanking and being caught flat-footed. Futhermore there is a default emergency teleportation algorithm the Necrons use to ensure they can always safely make it home. Whenever a detachment drops to 25% of its original volume the entire army (including all the injured), teleport back to home base.
Disrupt (Ex): All Necrons create a minor disruption field. This causes electronics to malfunction when they are close. Boltgun bolts are less likely to detonate, flash-lights flicker on and off, power weapons power-down unexpectedly and monitors show static. This disruption field around them provides a bonus forcefield defense equal to half their hit dice.

Warrior Gear
Gauss Rifle: This is a rapid fire longarm with a range increment of 60ft that deals 2d10 damage and has a damage reduction penetration of 2. The attack deals energy damage and has an exceptionally large critical range of 18-20. It has a ‘flaying’ special rule aswell. Anytime a gauss rifle scores a critical hit it ignores all hardness.
Targeting System: The necron has a complex targeting system. It confers a +1 bonus to attack rolls made with a gauss rifle, and a +3 mastercraft bonus for necron design. This lends a total bonus of +4 on all ranged attack rolls made with the gauss rifle. This is included in the statistics above.
I can actually email you the complete Necron section as it was on the original website including statistics for:

Immortals, Lords, Wraiths and Pariahs.

However they need redoing before I put them up and work is soaking up all my time.

If you want to do something completely fresh that I had my mind on adding to the site I can email you stuff that was never completed (even in Edition 1) and just sort of got stuck aside.

In any case you look really eager to help so mail me (daniel.saier(a)gmail.com) and we'll see if we can't polish off the Necron (or some other section) and get it up in the next couple of weeks.
Hmmm.... how about DRP 5 then instead of DRP 4? Most weapons that can insta-kill have a DRP 5 anyway (except - again - for the krak missile, but this will never be perfect).

Well, you've got 3 to 5 weapons statted that are DRP 4, and as far as I can tell they all kill Necrons dead.
Plus Necrons should be a pretty high CR (they're more powerful than Space Marines and I would stick the average Brother Marine a Level 3 + stat mods).

Ah! I was assuming level 1 for the average Battle-Brother, making Necron Warriors equal in almost every regard (except longevity :evillaugh).

As for the rest of this, you have my e-mail.

P.S. That is one ing long Sig you have.
3 or 4? What examples other than the rocket launcher are there? Aren't most S8 weapons AP 2 = DRP 5? Hmmm... maybe I missed some.

As for the sig - well it was more of a process in self-discovery. I might take it down. I added it because I wanted to do a statistical breakdown. Seems I'm a bit of min-maxer. You'll notice Fast is the most common class even though I hate it.

I've also got Dex as top stat and Cha as least used. Thats interesting too. I suspect it says something about the balance of the game; or perhaps just about me as a player.
I'd say it means you play too many combat-heavy games, not enough interaction heavy games. :D For those, Cha is the min/max stat.
UPDATE!

I've gone ahead and uploaded ALL the source material I had on my comp. A lot of it hasn't been converted to the new edition.

But fortunately its 95% usable and I get a lot of demands for NPC stats. So there you have it!

If you need Ork stats, Eldar stats, Tau stats --- all there!

Hope you like it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ + Source Files Added + +

Imperial Source Files
Eldar Source Files
Genestealer Cult Files
Kroot Source Files
Liber Daemonica Files
Necron Source Files
Ork Source Files
Tau Source Files
Tyranid Source Files
:D
COMMENCE CELEBRATION!
Now I have to read through all this for comments
I was thinking about the Alien Weapons proficency...a human would have to get the proficiency to use eldar weapons. An Eldar character could only use shuriken guns i presume ? Every other weapon would be a alien weapon to him, confining him to a incredibly small selection of usable weaponry...is that right ?
Eldar also have lasblasters, laspistols, and long rifles as personal firearms (aside from shuriken pistols and shuriken catapults).

An eldar-specific campaign should probably include a list of common eldar sidearms. Since the Imperium is better defined (because of things like Necromunda) weapons like the Autopistol and the Stubgun which are out of use in the Imperial military are still known to 'exist' in the universe.

All we have about the eldar from Games Workshop is what's in the Codex which = eldar military grade weapons.

The eldar equivalent of a stubgun could be a simple 'spark-pistol'. Fortunately since you'll probably have few eldar characters this is only a bridge to cross (with regards to weapon design) if you're running a 100% eldar campaign.

In any case a -4 non proficiency penalty on eldar using Imperial weapons seems generally correct.

When you're using to firing laspistols and gyroscopically stabilized shuriken weapons suddenly firing a weapon with the kick-back of a crude imperial autopistol is bound to throw your shot off.

EDIT: If I haven't helped remember its your game. You can easily rule that eldar (being the more sophisticated race) are automatically proficient with Imperial firearms but not visa-versa.
Okay, the question was aimed to point out an unclear rule (at least for me), but you as the rules wizard took all the fun - exhaustive answer i would say Thanks !
I've found something amazingly useful. One and a half megs, pretty old document, but contains exactly the sort of detailed information on the WH40k setting that we need.
You have an E-mail.
Great job on the website, but I have a question. Were you planning on adding information on the Tryanids.

In addition, do you plan on making stats for the Emperor. Maybe at different times in history. I know it would be like making a god, but damm it would be awesome.
"What is loved...endures. What is built...endures. And Babylon 5...Babylon 5 endures." -Babylon 5 "As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. It is in such twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we becomes victims of the darkness." -Justice William O. Douglas
For Tyranid stuff: click on Source Files -> Tyranid Source Files

I don't know why I called the bad guys section like that.

I think its more likely that I write up stats to other critters (more Tyranid ones, general aliens, etc...) than stats for individuals like the Emperor.

I just think they'd be more usable in a game; and less people would be inclined to argue with me about the stats. :D
at last a wh40k RPG, been looking for one of these for a long time.

sorry for being a perfectionist in the rest of the post though, but this work deserves the best :P.

1. warp jumps in wh40k the way i see it, isnt instantly. your rules atm spend alot of time on preparations before the journey, but in many books(gaunts ghosts, eisenhorn etc.) warp travel can be looked upon as a travel below the sea more or less. you jump from one dimension, and you float around as a boat in a great sea in the other dimension, until you are in a point in the warp which has the same geographical coordinates as you wanted to go to in the material universe.

in eisenhorn, they are practically in warp space for several years when they have to travel big distances, while in the 1st book of gaunts ghost, the are regrouping to another sector with a navy ship, which takes proximately 14 days. at the time you read about Gaunt looking at the shields, protecting them from the energies and fouler things outside the ship, and crewmembers being nervous about the entities in the warp.

it would also allow people who messed up while out in the warp to fight some nasty daemons if they somehow manages to screw up the shields. :D

psycic powers: this one im a bit more for giving a completely rehash. lets start with the fluff reason:

psykers in 40k = people which can cast magic with their minds= sorcerers in d&d and most likely modern(i dont have the d20 modern rules, but im thinking of getting my hands on it :P )

sorcerers in 40k = people who have found books with ancient spells and information about how to use the warp without really being a psyker, the books usually invite chaos to wreak havoc upon its users = wizards in d&d(just more evil)

your "arcane" psykers uses psychic tomes, which basically for me isnt very correct compared to the fluff. books with spells in are considered sorcery in the 40k-universe, and the emperor himself have said that this is not something to trifle with, as it gives people who are not meant to have psychic powers access to it, in which case they can easily be ensnared by chaos(read about the thousand sons space marines, thats more or less where this all started)

what would be cool would be some stats for such books though, so those who want to "take a shortcut" to greater powers could go for these books, but make the side-effects scary :D.

also another thing that might have been cool, im not sure where i found this info, but it might have been inquisitor. basically its another way of doing "THE PSYCHIC CHECK".

basically, the more spells you were casting, the more of the warp starts to break into reality because of the spells. the warp is, among other things, a sort of radiation which affects the material realm where it is. if there is alot of warp energies floating into the material realm, the more likely is it that people will get affected/mutated by it, and daemons will notice that something is going on.

im not sure how this game works yet, so i wont try to make any rules for you on that. but basically any spell which affects the material realm(those who affect the warp would most likely not cause too much warp to flow into reality, i.e. mental ones or something like that)

basically though, it would have an effect on the area around people. a warp storm would also probably cause an increase in the amount of warp seeping into reality, but not so much that people are starting to bleed from the nose and eyes and convulst into big unspeakable things. but a proper spell would most likely have this indirect effect on people nearby, and it would certainly cause people who might be possible hosts for daemons to become a threat.

anyway, i could keep on spamming here, but that would only be myself venting air, and it wouldnt be very constructive... so i will now say that you have done a great job on this, and i hope that you will continue updating and adding more 40kish stuff to it :D
1. warp jumps in wh40k the way i see it, isnt instantly.

It's not just the way you see it. It's the way 40k presents it. Warp travel is not instantaneous. The subjective time of the jump (the time passage witnessed by those on the ship) and the objective time of the jump (the time passage in the rest of the universe) can vary widely, and they can vary from each other. I seem to recall one example where they talk about how a ship that makes a bad jump can end up missing from the real world for 1000's of years, appear from having been lost and the inhabitants of the ship have only lived a few months of time. Or visa versa.

I think the rules being presented here are great, but I have a few small issues with them. I wish that they were doing things the d20Modern way, instead of making lots of small changes. For example, it's one thing to do Armor as DR -- that's actually a "standard d20 variation" (see Unearthed Arcana) ... but they way it is done here is _completely_ out of left field, adding in armor penetration rules, etc.

On the one hand, there is the fact that WH does things differently (as the case is made in the rules on this web page), where some weapons ignore some of the "armor save". But the point is that WH handles armor in one way and d20 handles armor in a different way. Rather than try to make d20 to armor the WH way, why not just use d20's armor rules as they are? It's not like d20's handling of Plate armor doesn't work. You don't need to add new rules to d20 in order to have Plate armor that does what it needs to.

I would, instead, have given some weapons a special property that allows them to ignore 1 to 4 points of armor based DR, or something like that. It doesn't require an entirely new set of armor mechanics, with every weapon having a new property, and then having to evaluate a new _forumula_ for every damage roll (which I expect will HUGELY slow down game play).

(and, besides, the new damage formula appears to be incomplete -- it doesn't match the examples, it looks like there are one or two terms missing from the formula)

Don't get me wrong, I think the penetration rules are interesting. I just don't think they're necessary to a WH40K conversion, they look cumbersome to actually use during combat, and I think the formula (at least) needs to be proof read and/or clarified. I would have done the WH40K conversion without them, and then given them as a separate, optional, set of rules for use, if you wanted to.

(oh, and, on the "at last", there have been earlier d20 WH40K conversions, I just think this was the first to use d20Modern instead of the non-Modern version of d20)
I agree with duke Qa and kzin.
Just letting everyone know...
BWC-archives has a ton of card templates for 40k vehicles-it makes encounters so much easier when you don't have to just rely on your miniatures collection!
BWC Archives ? Link ?

Well, i also agree on the point on calculating using that formula for armor penetration. I haven´t tested it till now (i plan on having my players make characters monday and play the game the following week the first time), but i guess it will slow down the game...even i managed to mix up the abbreviations Now back to Photoshop, i´m preparing some fancier character sheets (yes, you get to use them when i´m done...)
Here it is. You could have googled it, but I sympathize with laziness (I am, certainly). http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/BWC-Archive/
Very useful! Admittedly you need cardboard to fit in your printer...but it is exceptionally worth it-especially if you need =][= scale vehicles (just x2 size...or so). Thnx for the Character sheets (when they're done!).
1. warp jumps in wh40k the way i see it, isnt instantly. your rules atm spend alot of time on preparations before the journey, but in many books(gaunts ghosts, eisenhorn etc.) warp travel can be looked upon as a travel below the sea more or less. you jump from one dimension, and you float around as a boat in a great sea in the other dimension, until you are in a point in the warp which has the same geographical coordinates as you wanted to go to in the material universe.

in eisenhorn, they are practically in warp space for several years when they have to travel big distances, while in the 1st book of gaunts ghost, the are regrouping to another sector with a navy ship, which takes proximately 14 days. at the time you read about Gaunt looking at the shields, protecting them from the energies and fouler things outside the ship, and crewmembers being nervous about the entities in the warp.

You are correct. Warp travel is not instantaneous. Recently read over the fluff bible. 100 lightyears of distance takes about 3 weeks in warp space. This is a mechanic I will probably change. Ultimately however you'll find your players probably don't want to roleplay the weeks (months?) of travel times to get from one distant part of the universe to another so implementing an 'instantaneous' mechanic might be useful for gameplay purposes. Then again it might not. I promise to incorporate realistic warp-space travel times into the Navigation mechanic in any case.

psycic powers: this one im a bit more for giving a completely rehash...

your "arcane" psykers uses psychic tomes, which basically for me isnt very correct compared to the fluff. books with spells in are considered sorcery in the 40k-universe, and the emperor himself have said that this is not something to trifle with, as it gives people who are not meant to have psychic powers access to it, in which case they can easily be ensnared by chaos(read about the thousand sons space marines, thats more or less where this all started)

what would be cool would be some stats for such books though, so those who want to "take a shortcut" to greater powers could go for these books, but make the side-effects scary.

My objective in most of these cases was to keep the existing rules the same. Psychic powers = magic essentially. I felt most players familiar to d20 would be familiar with the D&D magic system and I tried to 'port' it over in its entirety. Creating an entirely new psychic system would be cumbersome and require player's to learn new stuff. As kzin points out I've already complicated the rules with the Damage Reduction mechanic. (Which I'll get to later.)

I think the rules being presented here are great, but I have a few small issues with them. I wish that they were doing things the d20Modern way, instead of making lots of small changes. For example, it's one thing to do Armor as DR -- that's actually a "standard d20 variation" (see Unearthed Arcana) ... but they way it is done here is _completely_ out of left field, adding in armor penetration rules, etc....

Don't get me wrong, I think the penetration rules are interesting. I just don't think they're necessary to a WH40K conversion, they look cumbersome to actually use during combat, and I think the formula (at least) needs to be proof read and/or clarified. I would have done the WH40K conversion without them, and then given them as a separate, optional, set of rules for use, if you wanted to.

Ok you've caught me out. In 90% of the games I've played with the rule system I designed DR/DRT and DRP cause the most confusion. Once people are familiar with the rules the difficulty is reduced but ultimately gameplay is slowed down a bit.

I will be simplifying the rules eventually. Work concerns have basically required me to put a stand-still on all non-work stuff including the development of this RPG but put simply the easiest thing to do is to simply assign a Damage Reduction value for all armour (rather than two values).

Each weapon will also be given a Damage Reduction Piercing (as now) but instead it will be a simple subtraction.

For instance:

Power Armour might have a DR of 20. A boltgun might have a DRP of 10. Powered armour would have a DR 10 (20 - 10) versus a Boltgun.

The subtraction mechanic is far simpler than the fractional one and will be very easy to come to grips with. I'll see about getting a temporary table up on this thread. I'm also toying with the idea of variable DRPs (eg 1d8+5 DRP) but that might just result in too many dice being rolled.

The reason I want to include a DRP value is that I feel the Armour Piercing mechanic is a very integral part of the 40k tabletop battlegame and my early efforts to use the classic d20 (armour as defense bonus) failed to succesfully do this. In fact I found the armour as defense very un-40k with space marines avoiding hits like assassins.

Dodging and Armour need to be differentiated in 40k. Plus the availability of forcefields (conversion, refractor, displacer etc...) means there are other ways of boosting Defense through equipment.

I should also point out that I don't yet have a functioning forcefield mechanic so they're not currently in the equipment list.
For those of you looking to simplify the Damage Reduction mechanic here's a quick and rough alternative:

Leather Jacket-------------- 1<br /> Leather Trenchcoat---------- 2<br /> Bulletproof Vest------------ 3<br /> Bulletproof Trenchcoat------ 4<br /> Studded Armour-------------- 5<br /> Metal Armour---------------- 6<br /> Flak Shirt------------------ 7<br /> Full Flak Armour----------- 8<br /> Imperial Mesh--------------- 9<br /> Eldar Mesh------------------ 10<br /> Advanced Mesh--------------- 11<br /> Light Carapace-------------- 12<br /> Heavy Carapace-------------- 13<br /> Advanced Carapace----------- 14<br /> Scout Power Armour---------- 15<br /> Sister Power Armour--------- 16<br /> Tactial Power Armour-------- 17<br /> Combat Power Armour--------- 18<br /> Adv. Power Armour----------- 20<br /> Ablative Armour------------- 20<br /> Artificier Armour----------- 24<br /> Terminator Armour----------- 28 + Hardness 5<br /> Tactical Dreadnought Armour- 30 + Hardness 10<br /> <br /> -------------------------------------------------<br /> <br /> DRP 1 = -5 DR<br /> DRP 2 = -10 DR<br /> DRP 3 = -15 DR<br /> DRP 4 = -20 DR<br /> DRP 5 = -100% DR

IMPORTANT UPDATE!!!!!

Manhattan of the WotC boards has put together a nifty PDF which I'll be hosting here.

Uh. HERE.

Note that it's about 10Mb and 900 pages. If you're on dial-up, it may take a while.

It hasn't been proof-read in full yet, so if you come across any problems with the document, please PM me.
We may be overloading the system with downloads because of bandwidth limits on the free sites I'm using...

EDIT: Try here as well. MIRROR. Problem is, its a very big file.

OR this.
My objective in most of these cases was to keep the existing rules the same. Psychic powers = magic essentially. I felt most players familiar to d20 would be familiar with the D&D magic system and I tried to 'port' it over in its entirety. Creating an entirely new psychic system would be cumbersome and require player's to learn new stuff. As kzin points out I've already complicated the rules with the Damage Reduction mechanic. (Which I'll get to later.)

yeah i agree that it will demand alot more of the players, but i personally think that it would be a great next step to make things closer to the 40k universe as possible, and not use the typical d&d spells and abilities(well perhaps the metamagic feats could be re-used, hard to make up a pair of new ones there really). the threat that it might become too advanced for someone might be a correct statement, but the fruits it would bear probably would outweight the negative parts.

let me try to make an example of a new "perils of the warp" rule:

the DM rolls for how much rogue warp energy is released into reality, each time a spell is cast;
[correct this if it doesnt bring an proper average, i not too good at calculating chance]
lvl0 spells: 2d6 (average 7)
lvl1 spells: 4d6
lvl2 spells: 6d6
lvl3 spells: 8d6
lvl4 spells: 10d6
lvl5 spells: 12d6
lvl6 spells: 14d6
lvl7 spells: 16d6
lvl8 spells: 18d6
lvl9 spells: 20d6
lvl10 spells: 22d6 (average 77 [i think])

this score is cumulative, so the more spells cast, the bigger the number gets.

the amount of points deside how high the threat level is for psykers and blunts alike(although blunts are at a smaller risk being affected by the daemonic forces in the warp, they will be damaged by huge amounts of rogue warp energy).
level 0: 0-34(normal)
level 1: 35-69(mild warp radiation)
level 2: 70-139(moderate warp energies loose)
level 3: 140-279(high levels of the warp besieging reality)
level 4: 280-540(dangerous amounts of warp, visual rogue energy floating around)
level 5: 540-1079(laws of physics does not apply anymore)
[one could add more levels if one wants more interactivity, but the max should be around 1080 points]

each of these levels would affect people in different ways, psykers will be more vulnerable to be attacked by daemons while the rogue warp energy levels are high. normal non-psykers/blunts also have a tendency to be indirectly affected by the warp, all from feeling nauseated, headaches, and other mental illnesses, to more disturbing effects as blood coming out from the nose, eyes and ears(telltale sign of someone killed with psychic powers is blood coming out of the head).

also, after a little while the warp energies will start to fade out. thus when there hasnt been psychic activities which doesnt create rogue warp energy for prox 5 rounds, 10% of the warp energy dissipates for each round.

there should be spells which can affect the amount of rogue warp energy, and perhaps even leech it to other spells. there are imperial psykers who specialize in psychic dampening, which would with no doubt have a good ability to soak up psychic energy, either direct spells or rogue warp energy. also technological parts should be able to do something about these things, as we have those shields on spaceships which protects them through the warp...

hmm, while i remember, when someone dies, their soul would most likely have some sort of effect on this aswell, as the energies of the soul is released into the warp. there is a reason that all the chaos gods enjoy death :D.

this is basically a crude translation from something i wrote back a few months, and it lacks what kind of effect it would have on the psykers and non-psykers, but its at least how it more or less the mathematical part would work. i hope that it might inspire you to have a look at the "magic" system one day when theres time, because i know this will require ALOT of time to make properly
An unclarity i encountered yesterday: In the weapons section, column "Rate of Fire" is an entry named "R.F." - is that rapid fire, is it different from the "Auto"-Rate or is it something completely different ?

PS: Over all the rules discussions and changes i nearly forgot *how* bad i wanted to gm a group with this background...so i should not forget to slime a little bit as we germans say...thanks skritti for your astounding work (while having a real job which can also be stressful)
Hi there. The explanations for the different rates of fire can be found here, at the end of the page. I hope this helps
Essentially, if you don't move it's fully automatic, if you do it's semiautomatic.
None of the DL sources for the PDF work, and your site doesn't even have the bandwidth to get all the text files at once...
*bing*
Why don't we BitTorrent it?
I plan on torrenting it in the near future. However, right now it needs a little bit of proof-reading.

People with large-capacity email addresses like (gmail or yahoo) could PM me or Skrittiblak and we can send them copies that way.
Sign In to post comments