d20 Warhammer 40,000 Website

1192 posts / 0 new
Last post
There is speculation amoungst Imperial Xenobiologists, that Tyrant Guard are indeed based on marines (kinda confirmed in the ChAp talk w/the designers after the 3rd Ed 'Nid 'dex). However, such speculation is suppressed, as...if the 'Nids can and do use Marine genetic stock, they are in effect using the Emperor's genetic stock...
You're correct. I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm uh, challenging the system, like I encouraged earlier. I just like to think that the Tyranids are emulating human tactics by biological means.

But yeah, you're right, the fluff supports the fact that Tyrant Guards have Marine genetic material.
nothing wrong with nids+marines, they are the same universe. It's the concept of a WOOKIE space marine, and the lame-arse justification used that got up my goat. Heresy, I says....
well, you could just say it was a space wolf with a bit too much wulfen in it :p
Sorry to get off the topic of wookies (btw, I skimmed the thread and couldn't see where this came from?)

I was just curios as to how old the pdf version is now? I'd like to start printing some of it off so it's easier to prepare a game, but I'd be good if it wasn't too old by the time I get around to it.

Also, I've noticed a few things while making some npc's. There is a lot of mention of an aircraft operation feat, yet there is none listed in the feat section.. the same thing with some of the skills.. Actually I think the answer may have just occured to me; do we look in the modern book for that feat and the missing skills?

If we're trying to make a gun pilot, it seems a bit..repetitive to have to get the aircraft operation feat, and then the starship operation feat for the same class (ultralight, etc). Would it make sense that there be one feat, that would allow you to use aircraft/spacecraft of the same class; for example if you have ultralight and light aircraft operation feats, the feat I propose would allow you to operate ultralight and light spacecraft...
Personally, I would have the Spacecraft Op feat superced the Aircraft Op feat. A space pilot has to worry about the Geller fields, spatial stuff, and everything a normal pilot has to do.
It's really hard to simplify things like this, I'm actually from a flying background and given its a fictional setting, I don't know how well simply having the feat totally superceeded would balance out since IMO there are a number of things that may not be taught for spacecraft operation that otherwise would be in atmospheric flight; but then again with a decent enough pilot skill one should be able to be cope.. (Which I guess kinda hints at having some kind of feat or else facing a skill penalty)
Flying Starships means flying a starship in all conditions. A Pilot with the Starship Operation Feat knows how to fly a starship in athmospheric conditions (the Aircraft Operation Feat can not be applied here as it isn´t an Airplane). Someone with the Starship Operation Feat does not know how to fly an Airplane since he lacks the Knowledge of how to safely fly something that is not using brute force of thrusters to propel it forward and he is not proficient with the more direct controls of a cessna or ultralight.

Characters with the Aircraft Operation feat cannot fly a starship, not even in athmospheric conditions. Twice as many controls and no idea what to do.
So what then constitutes an aircraft in the 40k world? All the flyers from the game have been listed as spacecraft...
Through the Praxeum sub-forums, there was a chick who was delighted that her GM allowed her Wookie Space Marine (complete with Bolter) in a game. I'm all for freedom of choice, but seriously...
So what then constitutes an aircraft in the 40k world? All the flyers from the game have been listed as spacecraft...

That's because most thing in wh40k can work in space. However, a good example is the Thunderhawk Gunship (or the Imperial Guard Bomber).
Tau and Eldar have a lot of aerial crafts too - and lets not forget my favourite Ork Fighta-bommaz.

I actually plan one day to run a game called Deff Skwadron on the d20 Modern Games forums in which every character has to make an ork fighta-bommer pilot and the team has to go on daring (read 'suicidal') raids.
Gah! Almost all of them are aircraft!
The only ones I can think of off hand htat aren't are the Vulture Lightning, and Valkyrie...and I'm not sure about htose either! Manta...check; Fighta-Bomba...check; Thunderhawk...check; Marauder...check; Thunderbolt...check.
As a continuation of my thoughts in my previous post:

A lot of ships are able to achieve escape velocity! Does anyone know what types of engines they use? Fusion/Fisson?
Gah! Almost all of them are aircraft!
The only ones I can think of off hand htat aren't are the Vulture Lightning, and Valkyrie...and I'm not sure about htose either! Manta...check; Fighta-Bomba...check; Thunderhawk...check; Marauder...check; Thunderbolt...check.

Spacemarine Thunderhawk drop ships are designed to be launched from battle barges and can be used to either ferry marines and heavy equipment to the ground, or can be used as boarding ships when assaulting enemy vessels. Outside of the fighters and ships detailed in Battlefleet Gothic GW has made no effort to detail these vessels.
You're correct. I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm uh, challenging the system, like I encouraged earlier. I just like to think that the Tyranids are emulating human tactics by biological means.

But yeah, you're right, the fluff supports the fact that Tyrant Guards have Marine genetic material.

Keep in mind that marine genetic material provides more than a heavy shell, it provides increased strength, toughness, and a general level of killiness in the subject. Marines are only barely human, so it follows that tyrant guards are only barely tyranids in terms of genetic make up.
So I recently designed a new Warhammer 40k Nurgle Chaos Army - not that I have a chance to play really any more except summer vacations.

But it struck me that the Liche Lord Terminus from the Privateer Press "Iron Kingdoms" game makes an amazing Nurgle Demon Prince. I was thinking of statting him out for d20 as well to be a BBEG in a possible upcoming campaign...
More...more...keep it coming.... :D

I worked on the 40k-starmap, you can reach it via the Link in my signature (inset for the eye of terror, shortinfo on mouse-rollover for obscurus systems, cooridnate-counter for clearing up positions)
WOW! This is the kind of jiucy forcefield ruling we needed.

I know, I know, there are a lot of complicated rules already - but if simplicity means poor balance, by all means make things complex!

I'll have a look at designing some good forcefield rules using your outline strategy.

I'm particularly pleased at how you've justified having varying feat levels. Somehow the idea that forcefields need activating, know-how and that they make noise(!) really never crossed my mind.

This is really original; and the dodgy mechanics makes for some quality 40k ambient stuff.

Thanks, duke.

Just a thought but you may want to split force fields into three categories:

Defense Bonus (most force fields)
Concealment (for those granting cover saves)
Fortification (for invulnerable saves, though I'd change the progession to light 25%, medium 50% and heavy 75%)

Just my 2 cents
And now something completely different. I've always like the 40k setting, but never cared for the war game rules. I picked up Dawn of War a month ago and have been spending a good chucnk of my time playing it. It inspired to look at 40k again and I've developed a soft spot for the Tau. The copy of the d20-40k rules that I have only includes the the Tetra. Having picked up Imperial Armour III the other day I've been inspired to convert some vehicles. Note that I've used the D20 Mecha rules when creating the designs. Also it doesn't follow the d20-40k rules for DRP (mostly becuase I'm not done reading through the file yet)

Name: Hammerhead
Type: Vehicle
MP Cost: 710 MP
Size: Huge (Long 8.2m)
Hit Points: 47 (54 MP)
Occupancy: 3 operators, no cargo (30 MP)
Hardness: 25 (125 MP)
Defense: 8 (0 MP)
Strength: n/a
Speed: Air 70 kph, ceiling 100 feet (119 MP)
Tactical Speed: Air 116m (77 pc scale squares, 8 chase squares)
Initiative: -2 (0 MP)
Manuever: -2 (0 MP)
Special Abilities: Tactical Radio (Secure 1), ECM (Defensive +3), GPS, NBC Filter, Sensor - Low-light Optics, Optics (2 miles), Stabilisation Gear, Targeting System (+1 Railgun and Burst Cannons) (55 MP)
Exotic Abilities: None
Mecha Defects: Hover Vehicle, Noisy, Reduced Endurance (a few hours) Start-up Time (1 minute) (-22)
Weapons
Quantity Name Dam ROF RI Ammo Qualities Restrictions MP Cost
1 Railgun* 8d10 SS 300 ft. 30 Armor-Piercing x2 None 176
- Sub-munition 4d12 SS 300 ft. 15 Blast x4 Alternate Ammo, Less Ammo 13
2 Burst Cannon* 4d10 A 75 ft. 1000 Automatic, Extra Ammo x3 Short Range 160

Thoughts?
Those are certainly some good stats...detailed!

The thread is in excess of 500! Something good must have happened!
Those are certainly some good stats... detailed!

Part of that is due to the ruleset I used and the rest is courtesy of Imperial Armor Volume 3. As I look at it the stats, it's no better than a T-72 so expect a revision soon.

Also my copy of Cyberspace came in. Anyone interested in seeing a Skitaari?
VERY!

I still haven't acquired a copy of cyberscape. I suspect it will revolutionize the adeptus mechanicus.
I had some time to make an inset for the tau empire on the 40k-spacemap (visually unimpressive). I have some problems making a 2D-Display of the 3D-Sphere in the tau codex, maybe someone can pinpoint the errors i made (via pm). I also started to make tooltips for shortinfo in the obscurus-sector, so it is far from complete.
VERY!

I still haven't acquired a copy of cyberscape. I suspect it will revolutionize the adeptus mechanicus.

Between Cyberscape and Blood & Circuits - Cybernetics there is everything you'll ever need. Cyberscape for a bunch of very cool gadgets and cyberware. B&C - Cybernetics for some well thought out and balanced design rules. I'll try and post the Skitaari tomorrow or Sarurday.

Ikaan

What software are you using for your starmap?
I really gotta get my hands on Taros!

For the Skitarri (SP?), htey would appear to be normal IG in terms of stats, with the exception of cybernetic enhancement (6+ inv. sv.), and would be better equipped. For those of us in the Asia-Pacific region, we've seen skitarii done in this month's WD. Otherwise, http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/AdeptusMechanicus/ and http://adeptus-mechanicus.monsite.wanadoo.fr have some good pictures if necessary.

I can't wait for the release of the Adeptus Mechanicus into D20!
Thanks for the links Ryltar. Speaking of units to stat out, apparently the Tau are getting some new units.

IMAGE(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/Vegemighty/Vespid.jpg)

Anyone know anything about these guys?
I really gotta get my hands on Taros!

For the Skitarri (SP?), htey would appear to be normal IG in terms of stats, with the exception of cybernetic enhancement (6+ inv. sv.), and would be better equipped. For those of us in the Asia-Pacific region, we've seen skitarii done in this month's WD. Otherwise, http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/AdeptusMechanicus/ and http://adeptus-mechanicus.monsite.wanadoo.fr have some good pictures if necessary.

I can't wait for the release of the Adeptus Mechanicus into D20!

I've been doing a lot of research and I found several excellent resources, including an unofficial COdex from one of the guys at GW. Unfortunately that means I won't post anything yet. I'm busily assimilating the knowledge I've gained into the Altar of Knowledge. Once that's done I'll post some stats
Looks...like Tyranids managed to 'assimilate' Tau.
It's possible or they could be another alien that the Tua have assimiltated, like the Kroot. If they are Tyrannic Tau I'd guess that the absolute obedience inspired by the Ethereal caste must over-ride the control of the Hive Mind
Hehe. I think they just look tyranidy because of the bug-like carapaces and their stingers.

In fact Vespid clearly comes from the Italian (maybe Latin as well) Vespa for wasp. The stingers, feet and wings suggest these aliens are basically big bipedal wasps.

I suspect they'll have some kinky story to them but basically I suspect as Kestrel points out they are a race like the Kroot or the enigmatic Nicassar (and their pesky Dhows) that have become part of the Tau empire. With all these new races the Tau are rapidly becoming a "Dogs of War" army, which is cool because I always wanted to see something like that in 40k.
I saw some pictures/explanation of them a while back.

Apparently they're supposed to be "marine-killers" in function...I suppose that means they're tough w/ good weapons.

Ah well, I suppose we'll just have to wait for the Tau Empire codex later this year (I think...) .
I was actually hoping for a revised Eldar codex before a redux on the more recent Tau codex. Ah well...
Hopefully the new Tau Codex will help fix thier appalling weakness in melee. The Kroot are nice, but even Imperial Gaurdsmen carry close-combat weapons. You'd think with all the material that says the Tau are learning from from thier engagements with the Imperium that they would be inteligent enough to add bayonets to thier pulse rifles/carbines.
i personally think that giving tau more close combat weapons would make them unbalanced compared to other races, because the already got some of the nastiest ranged weapons in the game. if they are to become too good at close combat, the other races are in for some trouble.

curses, i who was hoping for an ork codex. hell, even an eldar codex would have been more interesting than a tau codex. *mumbles curses about capitalistic anti-creativity oriented businessplans etc etc.*
i personally think that giving tau more close combat weapons would make them unbalanced compared to other races, because the already got some of the nastiest ranged weapons in the game. if they are to become too good at close combat, the other races are in for some trouble.

I agree with you. I just don't want them to completely suck at it. I'm going to stop posting on the subject as it is getting close to hijacking the thread.
Don't visit the D20 modern boards very much.....but i will be now.

Awesome work to all who have contributed so far to this most awesome project...we have always used a altered version of the WHFRP rules, for 40k rp....
But this is just awesome.

/bowhead
Yippie...completed the tooltip-info for the 40k-map (see my site). Let me know if i should add some info or correct something.
Yippie...completed the tooltip-info for the 40k-map (see my site). Let me know if i should add some info or correct something.

I've added a link from the d20 Wh40k Website to the starmap.

Unfortunately your site appears down right now so I can't see it.
Sign In to post comments