Crazy IronStar's Used Car Lot

561 posts / 0 new
Last post
Driving the attack zamboni gives +3 to the Ottawa Sens winning the cup

Nah, it's gotta be at least a +5.. Go Sens.

EDIT: As long as you're driving it on a hockey rink anyway...
Love the Attack Zamboni idea. Sens rock.

Side note - I noticed, Iron Star, that you missed a little fun fact when it comes to skid-steer loaders such as the Bobcat 763. I've actually operated one, and I dare say, it's something quite worthy of mention. Due to the rather unique control style of a Skid-Steer loader, it can actually turn on the spot, due to the fact all four of its wheels are drive wheels, and slaved to two control sticks, one for the left side, one for the right side. Bucket control in a Bobcat, and others, is handled through two foot pedals. Unlike some vehicles, you can actually turn the Bobcat with no forward motion, akin to things like Excavators and Tanks.

Side note, I could see some crazy man bolting a pair of Heavy MG's onto the bucket arms and slaving the trigger mechanisms to the bucket tilt motions. Random thought of the moment.
Have any RV's been statted yet?
Heavy Assault Garbage Truck
This heavy-duty garbage truck has been fiddled with. Armor and weapons have been added. Handrails and running boards have been extended around the entire truck. The crusher has been removed to make way for a really big gun. The storage compartment has been shortened to put guns between the cab and back. Hatches have been put in the back to allow access to the guns on top(along with a ladder) and between the cab and the back. The truck contains safety belts to hook to the rail so that passengers may walk outside and shoot while the truck is moving. Bullet proof glass has replaced all windows.Bench seats have been added to the back to allow more passengers, and lockers and cases have been added around the back to aid with storage. The truck is two squares wide and five squares long.

Crew: 5, Passenger(s): 8, Cargo Capacity: 2,500, Initiative: -4, Maneuver: -4, Top Speed: 180 (18), Defense: 6, Hardness: 15, Hit Points: 54, Size: Gargantuan, Purchase DC: 53, Restriction: Illegal (+4)

4 M2HBs have been added in various places along the truck. They are welded on turnable stands along with chairs attached to the same stand to allow easy 360 degree motion. These guns are posted in the following places. 1 on top of the truck. 2 back to back between cab and storage area. and the final one in the back door of the truck.
Stats:2d12 damage, 110 foot range, linked automatic ballistic obviously.

If anyone knows any better guns for this please post them so I can edit the post. I don't have Weapons Locker.

it's a a.z.a.v(anti zombie apocolypse vehicle) :P

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? - D&D Compendium

I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.
Bump
not sure if it's been posted already, but could you do a Saab 9-3 Viggen? nothing quite like a killer "b".
I have downloaded this thread. Over the holiday break I intend to compile the vehicles into a searchable web document and/or PDF.
I turned myself into a monster to fight against the monsters of the world. Check out Nadaka's DiceBox, an online dice rolling application with a persistent search-able database, web service access and more. http://nadaka.us/DiceBox/Info.aspx
I have downloaded this thread. Over the holiday break I intend to compile the vehicles into a searchable web document and/or PDF.

and if oyu post it on the wbe..i'll add the link to the useful links list

ThorvaldHafgrimsson wrote:
Life is full of choices. Sometimes you make the good ones, and sometimes you have to kill all the witnesses.
NastasiaLorn; wrote:
But then you have to pay the liability insurance.
A note about character and world creation
Show
Character and world creation are a form of expression. The point is that some people don't have much to say...
57949688 wrote:
Why doesnt anyone ever sig my qoutes!?
On the subject of who post in the Off-Topic Tavern:
57131438 wrote:
most of them are bored, immature adults.
Offical troller of the House of Trolls
how about
1. Zamboni (ice cleaner for hockey)
2. Attack Zamboni
3. go-kart
4. personal attack go-kart
5. golf ball retrevial vech/attack mod

If it will help, I did stat up Bubbles's go-kart from Trailer Park Boys over in the TV and Movie character thread.

Bubbles's Go-Kart (used from Season 3 Onwards)
Crew: 1 pass: 0 Cargo Capacity: 0 Init: 0 man: +3 Top Speed: 44 (4) Defense: 10 Hard: 5 HP: 10 Size Medium (One Square by one Square)

Notes: The go-kart can attach a trailer that has a cargo capacity of 400 pounds or can hold one passenger in a prone position or two passengers in a seated position. The trailer is a Large vehicle has a Defense of 9, 15 HP, and is a large vehicle that measures one square by two. When attached to the go-kart, it takes the following penalties: Init is reduced to -1, Its man is reduced to +1, and its top speed is reduced to 35 (3). Due to the fact the vehicle uses a lawnmower engine with a pull-start, the Go-Kart requires a move equivalent Action to start with a 25% chance of failure.

Alright then. Less work for me to do. :D
I am queen of no lands, yet I am richer than any country due to the wealth of joy my friends grant upon me.
I looked through here and didn't find any, but I was wondering if anyone had any WWI stuff. Right now I'm looking for biplanes, tri-planes, attack and carrier zeppelins, bombers, tanks, APCs, what ever you got. I know the carrier zeppelin isn't actually from WWI but I'm using them in my game, so I thought I might ask. I know it's kind of an odd era but I'm looking for some stuff to go with on a new game. Thanks
I looked through here and didn't find any, but I was wondering if anyone had any WWI stuff. Right now I'm looking for biplanes, tri-planes, attack and carrier zeppelins, bombers, tanks, APCs, what ever you got. I know the carrier zeppelin isn't actually from WWI but I'm using them in my game, so I thought I might ask. I know it's kind of an odd era but I'm looking for some stuff to go with on a new game. Thanks

IIRC the free adventure No Man's Land in the downloads section has an FT-17 statted out.
Holy Sh!t, Batman! You rock. How 'bout a couple of wheeled or tracked modern tank / APC / riot-control vehicles that we see in the news on CNN.
Here is the long lost PDF finally:

Supa's Used Car Lot

I'm in the progress of updating the PDF, but you will have to do with this here old one for now.. :D

Supa's Used Car Lot

I'm in the progress of updating the PDF, but you will have to do with this here old one for now.. :D

Was my Ford Trimotor (page 15) missed when the first PDF was compiled, or was it simply posted after the PDF was finished?

Thanks for posting the PDF as compiled...it just got added to my D20 Modern collection. MUCH appreciated!
That's pretty nice..it even has the modern-style table colors! Some of the newer vehicles like my airboat aren't there, and you forgot the OGL (which, if I recall, is a mandatory item), but otherwise it is great. If you want, I can make an artsy cover for you to have in it.
I am queen of no lands, yet I am richer than any country due to the wealth of joy my friends grant upon me.
IrishRover:
The Ford Trimotor was added after the PDF was compiled.. I will add it in the new version(s) I'll be posting in the near future..

Raptorial:
I'll add the OGL in the next version, thanks.. ;)
And an artsy cover would be sweet.. I was thinking it was lagging a front page when I uploaded it yesterday.. :D

Thanks for the input guys..

Edit:
There ya go Supa's Used Car Lot has been updated. But I've noticed all the cool PDF links are gone.. I'll correct that in a later update..

I've added your Ford Trimotor, IrishRover.. also the mandatory OGL..
I bump it in the name of the Killdozer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killdozer_(bulldozer)
My requests:

--Chrysler 300 C (the one with the big V8)
--the new Dodge Charger
--Cadillac Escalade
--the big Lexus sedan
--the big BMW sedan
--an 18-wheeler (Mac, Peterbilt, etc.)
--quad personal ATV
--Civil War ironclad ship
--Civil War submarine (Hunley)

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
This thread is made of pure awesome.
Say, has anyone thought about the MRAP ( Mine Resistant Ambush Protected )?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MRAP_(armored_vehicle)

G.
Wow, this thread is awesome. I just signed up to say that.
And, to post a few things I'd made for my d20 Akira project. These were made using the d20 Mecha Compendium (a truly astounding book), for an upcoming Modern game set in a rough equivalent of the film's environment, for my IRL gaming group. None of them have ever seen or read Akira, so it's gonna be really fun. ;)

Honda SK, 2019 Model
The Honda SK, 2019 model, is a racing bike of exceptional design. With a top speed of 200 miles per hour, it out-races most competition, and its superior handling allows it to speed through gaps other drivers can only imagine.
The Honda SK is 2 squares long, one wide. It has room for a driver and one passenger.

Crew: 1, Passenger(s): 1, Cargo Capacity: --, Initiative: +2, Maneuver: +4, Top Speed: 325, Defense: 11, Hardness: 4, Hit Points: 20, Size: Medium, Purchase DC: 28, Restriction: Lic (+1)

Satellite Orbital Laser
This weapon orbits the earth silently, and when ordered fires a laser blast capable of destroying most in its path. The computer controlling SOL is based out of Neo Tokyo. Not designed for re-entry. If SOL is destroyed, the firing mechanism becomes locked and begins to bombard whatever region it's aiming at in a half-mile radius randomly.

Crew: --, Passengers: --, Cargo Capacity: --, Initiative: --, Maneuver: --, Top Speed: Geosynchronous Orbit (I don't even wanna think about that in character scale), Defense: 6, Hardness: 5, Hit Points: 40, Size: Gargantuan, Purhcase DC: 60, Restriction: Military (+3)

Weapons and Systems:
Secure Microwave Com (+6 to resist jamming and interception)
100 mile High-Res Radar
Basic Remote Control
+5 Targeting Bonus to all slaved weapons (only one)
1 10d20 Laser, 20/x2 (Ignores armor, creates a 30' blast radius, has a range increment of "Orbital", takes 4 rounds to recharge after each firing, is static)

Akira-Class Jumbo Heli-Transport
Sadly, I can't find a wiki link or a pretty name for this vehicle, so let's go with this. This behemoth vehicle sports several defenses and a roomy interior. It was used by the Japanese military after, or possibly during, World War 3.
The Akira-Class Jumbo has a flight ceiling of 8500'. It is 30 squares long and 24 wide, with a "wingspan" (length from top of one blade to the other) of 32 squares.

Crew: 6, Passengers: 30, Cargo Capacity: (Unspecified, but the Sick Bay and Science Bay can be removed for... I dunno, I can eyeball it later), Initiative: -8, Maneuver: -8, Top Speed: 264 (26), Defense: +10, Hardness: 10, Hit Points: 150, Size: Colossal, Purhcase DC: 41, Restriction: Military (+3)

Weapons and Systems:
Secure Tactical Radio (+3 to resist jamming and interception)
Countermeasures (Laser Warning Receiver, Radar Warning Receiver, Electronic Emission Sensor)
4 Search Lights
Science Lab and Sick Bay
2 Mile optics, 1 Mile Infrared sensors
+2 Targeting Bonus to all onboard weapons systems
4 Day Endurance
4 Person Service Crew
4 7.62mm machine guns (2d10 Ballistic, 20/x2, automatic 100 foot range inc) Multiple Gunners

-That's all I've got so far. I had to eyeball the Defense for the bike (medium, made of light steel) and the orbital laser (-4 size).
I need stats for the Eurocopter Tiger. Anybody here has any?
Isn't it pretty close to the Apache?
This thread is also the reason why I registered also. I acouple questions fro you. Are you going to put these on a PDF file for everyone? Also have you done any sport quads ( honda 400ex's ,450r, or others) and Dirt bikes too.
Ahh, lovely to see this thread still hasn't been forgotten. I guess I'll add a bit more into the pot.

IMAGE(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/86/MerkurXr4ti.JPG/800px-MerkurXr4ti.JPG)
Wilhelm Karmann GmbH Merkur XR4Ti
Crew: 1; Pass.: 3; Cargo: 120 lb.; Init.: -2; Man.: +1; Top Speed: 216 (21); Def.: 8; Hard.: 5; Hit Points: 30; Size: H; Purchase DC: 27; Rest.: Lic (+1).

IMAGE(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/19/VAB_armoured_personnel_carrier_DSC00846.jpg/800px-VAB_armoured_personnel_carrier_DSC00846.jpg)
GIAT Industries Véhicule de l'Avant Blindé
Crew: 2; Pass.: 10; Cargo: 3,000 lb.; Init.: -4; Man.: -4; Top Speed: 105 (10), 18 (1) in water; Def.: 6; Hard.: 12; Hit Points: 48; Size: G; Purchase DC: 45; Rest.: Mil (+3).
Now I've gone and done it.. Again.. I've updated my PDF, and I thought I'd share it with you lot..

Supa's Used Car Lot
It looks excellent! Not completely up to date, but excellent. My only suggestion would to add the copyright for Open Gaming Content so that others copying material from the book can place it as a reference in their OGL section, like so:
IronStar's Used Car Lot, Copyright 2008, Crazy IronStar; Author: Crazy IronStar (and others)

On the other hand, you could just note it here in this thread. It would make it a lot easier on yourself and mean a fast start of use.
I know it's been a while since anyone's posted on this thread, but I was wondering if someone could get me some stats on; a generic Ambulance, generic Police Cruiser, generic Fire Truck, an M1 Bradley and an M1A1 Abrahms. And for my other campaign, any cars or trucks from the late 1930's to the early 1940's.
Thanks!
Pick up a copy of this book http://www.amazon.com/Military-Vehicles-around-World-Supplement/dp/1894525663/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244854926&sr=1-4 which has the bradley, abrams, russian vehicles, helicopters, a couple of ships, fighter planes/bombers/transport planes, satellites, UAV's, and the weapon hardware for each vehicles... want a humvee with a Mk 19 Grenade Laucher or maybe the TOW Missile.... it has it in the back

I tried to get the link for the full .pdf... the website is down, does anyone have a copy of this anymore? (sorry for the necro post btw).

http://d20moderngm.blogspot.com/ A blog about D20 modern. If anyone has topics that they think should be discussed, send me a message and i'll get on it! UPDATES DAILY DURING THE WEEK!
LIVE I SAY LIVE! (i'm going thru and bumping those that I can find)

ThorvaldHafgrimsson wrote:
Life is full of choices. Sometimes you make the good ones, and sometimes you have to kill all the witnesses.
NastasiaLorn; wrote:
But then you have to pay the liability insurance.
A note about character and world creation
Show
Character and world creation are a form of expression. The point is that some people don't have much to say...
57949688 wrote:
Why doesnt anyone ever sig my qoutes!?
On the subject of who post in the Off-Topic Tavern:
57131438 wrote:
most of them are bored, immature adults.
Offical troller of the House of Trolls

Does anyone already have stats for the Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300R   Cool

Thanks

@ Malbur RPGNOW.com has the PDF version of the aforementioned D20 Military Vehicles

Link: www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products...
Finally got some free time to begin compiling this forum to word doc... so far its just started and in other news NECRO-Thread Revival
Good luck in compiling the forum. I wish some of the old posts before the move to gleemax had survived, as there was some really good work that's gone.

The Boeing 787 Dreamliner has been in the news lately, so I'd thought I'd write it up. It's not perfect, but it's as best I can do.

Boeing 787 Dreamliner

The Boeing 787 Dreamliner is a long-range, mid-size wide-body, twin-engine jet airliner developed by Boeing Commercial Airplanes. Its variants seat 210 to 290 passengers. Boeing states that it is the company's most fuel-efficient airliner and the world's first major airliner to use composite materials for most of its construction. According to Boeing, the 787 consumes 20% less fuel than the similarly sized 767. Its distinguishing features include a four-panel windshield, noise-reducing chevrons on its engine nacelles, and a smoother nose contour. It's notable for being the first plane since 1979 to be grounded.

The aircraft has suffered from early in-service problems, and is being reviewed by both the FAA and the Japanese aviation agency. On January 16, 2013, the FAA issued an emergency airworthiness directive that grounds all 787s in the U.S. The EASA, Japanese Transport Ministry, India's Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA), and Chile's DGAC followed suit and grounded the Dreamliners in their respective jurisdictions.

On January 16, 2013 both Japanese major airlines ANA and JAL announced that they were voluntarily grounding or suspending flights for their fleets of 787s after multiple incidents involving different 787s, including emergency landings. These two carriers operate 24 of the 50 Dreamliners delivered to date.

Later the same day, the FAA issued an emergency airworthiness directive ordering all U.S.-based airlines to ground their Boeing 787s until yet to be determined modifications are made to the electrical system to reduce the risk of the battery overheating or catching fire. The FAA also announced plans to conduct an extensive review of the 787's critical systems. This was the first time that the FAA had issued a general grounding of an aircraft model since 1979. Industry experts disagree on consequences: Airbus is confident that Boeing will resolve the issue and that no airlines will switch plane type, while other experts see the problem as "costly" and "could take upwards of a year".

The only US based airline in possession of the Dreamliner is United Airlines, which operates 6. Chile's DGAC forced LAN airlines to ground its fleet of 3 Dreamliners. The Indian DGCA directed Air India to ground its 6 Dreamliners. The Japanese Transport Ministry made the ANA and JAL groundings official and indefinite following the FAA announcement. The European Aviation Safety Agency has also followed the FAAs advice and grounded the only 2 European Dreamliners operated by LOT Polish Airlines. Qatar Airways has announced that they are grounding their 5 Dreamliners. Ethiopian Air was the final operator to announce temporary groundings of its 4 Dreamliners. Thus all 50 of the aircraft produced to date have been grounded.

Whatever the reason for its recent spate of problems, Boeing's 787 Dreamliner won't fly again until regulators are satisfied the plane is airworthy.

Reports of fire and smoke have put the focus on the plane's cutting-edge lithium ion battery systems and grounded the fleet worldwide.

Only 50 Dreamliners are in service so far, but the airlines that bought these multimillion dollar aircraft are losing money while they sit on the ground. Big questions remain: How long will it take to get the Dreamliner back in the air? Will travelers feel safe enough to board them?

+++ 787-8

Crew: 2 pilots
Cost: US$206.8 million
Length: 186 ft (56.7 m) (37 squares)
Width: 197 ft 0 in (60.0 m) (39 squares)
Cargo: 4,822 cu ft
Weight: 355,000 lb (161,000 kg) (70 hitpoints)
Seating: 264
Range, fully loaded: 7,650–8,200 nmi (14,200–15,200 km; 8,800–9,440 mi)
Cruising speed:    Mach 0.85 (567 mph, 490 knots, 913 km/h at 35,000 ft/10,700 m)
Maximum speed: Mach 0.89 (593 mph, 515 knots, 954 km/h at 35,000 ft/10,700 m)

+++ 787-9

Cost: US$243.6 million
Length: 206 ft (62.8 m) (41 squares)
Width: 197 ft 0 in (60.0 m) (39 squares)
Cargo: 6,086 cu ft (172 m3)
Weight: 400,000 lb (181,000 kg) (70 hitpoints)
Seating: 290
Range, fully loaded: 8,000–8,500 nmi (14,800–15,700 km; 9,210–9,780 mi)
Cruising speed:    Mach 0.85 (567 mph, 490 knots, 913 km/h at 35,000 ft/10,700 m)
Maximum speed: Mach 0.89 (593 mph, 515 knots, 954 km/h at 35,000 ft/10,700 m)

www.cnn.com/2013/01/17/travel/dreamliner...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_787_Dreamli...

Plot Hooks:

The PCs are pilots and are grounded in a foreign country. The country might be hostile to the PCs native country.

The PCs are adventurers, and have become stranded in a foreign country by the teething issues that plague the Boeing 787 Dreamliner. The country might be hostile to the PCs native country.

The PC are technicians and are must fix a grounded Boeing 787 Dreamliner. It's a race against time to make the Boeing 787 Dreamliner air-worthy again. The grounding of the 787 Dreamliner will cost Boeing at least $125 million a month -- and that's before the price of repairs.

The PCs are diplomats and are sent by Boeing to Chile/India to smooth things over with the recent spate of problems with the Boeing 787 Dreamliner.

Someone sabotages a Boeing 787 Dreamliner, and makes it look like a problem with the electrical batteries. With the Boeing 787 Dreamliner's recent sparte of technical problems, no-one would suspect anything out of the ordinary, but it is really foul play.

The Boeing 787 Dreamliner is the newest plane in the skies and a foreign dictator wants one. Despite its recent technical problems, he will stop at nothing to make one his.

A Boeing 787 Dreamliner is hijacked in mid-air by terrorists. To complicate matters, the plane starts developing technical glitches while in mid-air.

The new G650 got a write-up in Time magazine this week. Details are still sketchy, but this is my best attempt at stats:

Gulfstream G650

The Gulfstream G650 is an ultra-large-cabin, ultra-high speed business jet. It  is, quite simply, the gold standard in business aviation. This flagship aircraft of the Gulfstream fleet flies faster, farther, and more comfortably than any other business aircraft in its class.

Introduced in 2008, the G650 will carry eight passengers and a crew of four on nonstop legs of 7,000 nautical miles (12,964 km). The G650 is the company's largest and fastest business jet with a top speed of Mach 0.925.

It is equipped with a full kitchen and bar and may be equipped with a variety of entertainment features including satellite phones and wireless Internet. The new jet uses the new Rolls-Royce BR725 engine producing a maximum thrust of 17,000 pounds-force (75.6 kN). Gulfstream states that with a weight of less than 100,000 pounds (45,360 kg), it will be able to land at small airports avoiding the busy airports around the world.

Cost: $58,000,000
Capacity: 11–18 passengers
Length: 99 ft 9 in (30.41 m) (10 squares)
Width (wings): 99 ft 7 in (30.36 m) (10 squares)
Weight: 54,000 lbs (58 hitpoints)
Cruise speed: Long range cruise: Mach 0.85 (488 kn, 562 mph, 904 km/h) Fast cruise: Mach 0.90 (516 kn, 595 mph, 956 km/h)
Range: Long range cruise: 7,000 nautical miles (8,050 mi, 12,960 km) Fast cruise: 6,000 nmi (6,906 mi, 11,112 km)

Plot Hooks:

The PCs are pilots/adventurers, or they are accompying business men or other important persons. Due to a scheduling error, a technical mishap, or refueling issue, they wind up grounded in a foreign country. The country might be a land ruled over by a tinpot dictator, and is just hostile to the PCs native country.

As above, but the coutry is *definitely* hostile and the PC are technicians and are must fix a damaged Gulfstream G650. It's a race against time to make the Gulfstream G650 air-worthy again.

Someone sabotages a Gulfstream G650, so that it malfunctions in mid-flight with an important person on board,, possibly to make them late to an important summit, or auction for a priceless item, or perhaps just to embarras them.

The Gulfstream G650 is the newest plane in the skies and a sign of high status. As such. a foreign dictator wants one, and will stop at nothing to make one his, including sending his military and covert ops team to steal one, or hijack one.

A Gulfstream G650 is hijacked in mid-air by terrorists, a la Dark Knight Rises. The plane has an important dignitary/diplomat/politician/world leader in board, his rescue is vital. Perhaps the kidnap was successful and the Gulfstream G650 is the only clue to his or her disappearance.

The PCs live in the future (d20 Future) and our shiny new Gulfstream G650 is little more than a technological relic and an archaic curiosity, rather like how a Model T appears to us in the present day. It's only value is as a historical collectible, and someone has used a matter transporter to steal one right out of an aviation museum, or out of a wealthy private collector's hangar. The PCs must find out who is responsible for the theft, and it's a race against time to crack the case.

Qaher-313 / Dominant-313 "stealth" fighter jet.

Real-life Background

In early Jebruary 2013, Iran's state media announced the development of the Qaher F-313 "stealth" fighter,  a new "super advanced" stealth fighter jet capable of "evading radars."

To that end, the jet, known as the "Qaher 313," was unveiled at a ceremony involving Iran's President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and other high-level officials. Iran hailed it as one of the most advanced fighter jets in the world, capable of evading radar, landing on short airstrips and controlling the skies with its deadly arsenal.

"Qaher is a fully indigenous aircraft designed and built by our aerospace experts. This is a radar-evading plane that can fly at low altitude, carry weapons, engage enemy aircrafts and land at short airstrips," Defense Minister Ahmad Vahidi said on state TV.

Iranian State TV showed an unveiling ceremony for what the Iran Defense Ministry claims is a new Iranian designed and built combat aircraft. Defense Minister Ahmad Vahidi said the single-seat Qaher F-313 (Dominant F-313) can operate at low altitudes and was constructed from “advanced materials” that contribute to the aircraft’s “very low radar cross section.”

Iran state media added the aircraft, now Iran's stealthiest, employs advanced materials. However, that those claims are unverified because Tehran does not release any technical details about its arsenals.

The rest of the world was skeptical.

Despite the country's elaborate press campaign, experts have more than a few doubts as to the jet's airworthiness. First and foremost, Foreign Policy notes, the cockpit seems to be lacking legitimate wiring or instrumentation.

"It looks like the Iranians dumped some rudimentary flight controls and an ejection seat into a shell molded in what they thought were stealthy angles," wrote national security reporter John Reed.

"Overall, the plane seems to lack the characteristic rivets, bolts all aircraft, including stealthy ones, feature. Images released so far show it as a plastic-made aircraft," David Cenciotti, a military aviation expert, wrote on The Aviationist.

He wrote that the wiring of the cockpit's front panel appears too simple and it seems too small for a pilot to fit inside.

"It looks like this pilot is in a miniature plane."

He also notes the plane's air intakes are also quite small and the back engine contains no nozzle for afterburners, which would probably cause the minor setback of melting the entire jet.

It is widely believed the jet is almost certainly a mock-up.

National security reporter John Reed of Foreign Policy said the cockpit seems to be lacking legitimate wiring or instrumentation.

He added: "It looks like the Iranians dumped some rudimentary flight controls and an ejection seat into a shell molded in what they thought were stealthy angles."

Bloggers, aviation experts, and internet media had a field day with the photos released. One noted the "canopy has ludicrously bad optical qualities—note the scratches and distortion.” one blogger wrote. “[…] there’s a difference between “small” and “comical,” and the -313 is definitely erring on the wrong side of that line.“ said Ars Technica,

"I would go so far as to say that it looks more like a new ride at Europa Park than the future of any country’s air force. I think Iran is taking the piss." said an earthli.com staff writer.

Other critics have questioned pointed to why the launch did not involve an actual flight. Iran released images of the plane in flight, but both Mr Cenciotti and experts on Flight International believe that the film was actually of a remote-controlled aircraft modelled to resemble the Qaher 313.

The extremely poor quality of the video and the fact it did not include footage of the Qaher 313 taking off or landing were behind their scepticism. Some pointed out the pilot did not fit properly in the ejection seat, and his legs were visible above the side borders of the canopy, and that his head went well above the ejection seat's head pad. Others pointed out the plane is lacking the rivets and bolts all real aircraft, including stealth aircraft, have. Most believed the plane was made of plastic.

"One reason I'm personally skeptical about the Qaher-313 is that it looks just a little bit too much like Iranian designers went back through the catalog of cool combat aircraft, picked out some of the coolest bits, and just stuck them all together to make a new airplane with a badass look about it. Like, "hey, downswept wings are pretty nifty! And canards! And an angular fuselage and outswept tail fins! Yeah, just stick it all on there, why not!" wrote Evan Ackerman of DVICE.com.

Some pointed out there doesn't seeem to be room for a radar system in the nose, much less anywhere to store the fuel or weapons that a combat aircraft would presumably require.

The engine is equally tiny. Coupled with the small exhaust and even smaller air inlets on the sides of the cockpit, an afterburner seems unlikely, and supersonic performance seems even less likely.

The cockpit lacks a heads-up display, and the instrumentation doesn't seem to be connected to anything. If one were to look very closely the airspeed indicator redlines at 250 knots, which is less than 300 mph.

Bloggers noted the interior resembled moulded fiberglass with no actual structural components.

Many pointed out the jet's resemblence to “GI Joe” fighter jets.

But what if the plane was real? I assume it is, and provides background and stats below

Fictional Background

The Qaher-313 / Dominant-313 is a small single-seat, twin-engine supermaneuverable test fighter aircraft that uses stealth technology. It was designed primarily as an air superiority fighter, but has additional capabilities that include ground attack, electronic warfare, and signals intelligence roles. It is capable of evading radar, and landing on short airstrips

Developed by Iran's military, Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad hopes to put the Qaher-313 into production shortly to patrol Iran's airspace and make it a major player in the region.

The Qaher-313 promises to be a geopolitical game-changer. Thoughs small and cramped, this new fighter jet is Iran's first foray into devloping stealth fighter jet capabilities.

Iranian military are the prime contractor and is responsible for the majority of the airframe, weapon systems and final assembly of the Qaher-313.

The plane has not been licensed or sold to other countries, but this may change in the near future.

Vehicle Statistics

Qaher-313
Air Superiority Fighter

The Quaher-313 is 12 squares long and 8 squares wide (at its wingtips).

Crew: 1, Passenger(s): 0, Cargo Capacity: 40 lb., Initiative: -4, Maneuver: -1, Top Speed: 2349 (235), Defense: 6, Hardness:

5, Hit Points: 53, Size: Gargantuan, Purchase DC: 59, Restriction: Mil (+3)

Plot Hooks
Tensions between Iran and the United States are strained at the best of times, and the development of this new stealth aircraft promises to be a game-changer for the region. The PCs are American or British adventurers, military specialists, or independant security contractors and must learn more about this new aircraft - before it becomes airworthy and can threaten the region.

The PCs are test pilots, hired by Iran to test their new Qaher-313 stealth fighter.

A new type of stealth aircraft is making its presence known in a no-fly zone in the Middle East and the PCs are hired to investiate.

The PCs are military pilots and are engaged in combat by an as-yet unknown new type of stealthy aircraft. What is it, and who is developing it?

The PCs are spies (Spycraft?) posing as journalists and must snap photos of the new Qaher-313 aircraft. They might even be called upon to steal one, or steal blueprints relating to its construction.

The PCs are engineers or techies and are called upon to build or provide information crucial to the building of a new stealth aircraft. It's only later that they learn the information is being handed off to a country that is hostile to the US.

The PCs are adventurers, and have become stranded in an Iranian airport where the new Quaher-313 is being tested. Iran may or may not might be hostile to the PCs native country.

The PC are aircraft technicians and are must fix a damaged Qaher-313. Iran state TV is launching a press conference rgarding the new stealth aircraft and time is of the essence -- President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad does not like to be kept waiting. It's a race against time to make the Qaher-313 air-worthy again.

The PCs are diplomats, and the developemmt of the new Qaher-313 stealth aircraft will cause tensions in the Middle East. The PCs must smooth things over with the leader of foreign countries in the Middle East.

The Qaher-313 stealth fighter is the newest plane in the skies, and a foreign dictator wants one. What foreign dictator *wouldn't* want a new stealth aircraft? It would easily rule the skies and position him as a major power in the area. The dictator will stop at nothing to make one his. The PCs are either morally grey and must procure one, or, more likely, are trying to stop him from getting his hands on one.

The PCs are pilots/adventurers, or they are accompying business men or other important persons. Due to a scheduling error, a technical mishap, or refueling issue, they wind up grounded in a foreign country. The country might be a land ruled over by a tinpot dictator, and is just hostile to the PCs native country.

As above, but the coutry is *definitely* hostile and the PC are technicians and are must fix a damaged Qaher-313. It's a race against time to make the Gulfstream G650 air-worthy again.

Someone sabotages a Qaher-313, so that it malfunctions in mid-flight during a live state TV broadcast, possibly to embarrass Iran as they unveil their new fighter jet. The PCs must find out who is responsible.

The PCs live in the future (d20 Future) and the shiny new Qaher-313 is little more than a technological relic and an archaic curiosity, rather like how a Model T appears to us in the present day. It's only value is as a historical collectible, and someone has used a matter transporter to steal one right out of an aviation museum, or out of a wealthy private collector's hangar. The PCs must find out who is responsible for the theft, and it's a race against time to crack the case.

www.mehrnews.com/mehr_media/image/2013/0...

Lockheed-Martin/F-35 Lightning II
Air Superiority Fighter

The Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II is a family of new, cutting edge single-seat, single-engine, fifth generation multirole fighters under development to perform ground attack, reconnaissance, and air defense missions with stealth capability. The F-35 has three main models; the F-35A is a conventional takeoff and landing variant, the F-35B is a short take off and vertical-landing variant, and the F-35C is a carrier-based variant.

The F-35 incorporates a wide range of new technologies for stealth, multi-mission capabilities, and sustainability. The F-35 was designed with the entire battle space in mind. This aircraft will serve the Air Force, Navy and Marine Corps, and its data-sharing capabilities will also be of great use to troops on the ground. The F-35 is considered the most flexible, technologically sophisticated multirole fighter ever, a multirole fighter that replaced critical features of seven legacy aircraft.

But the F-35 has been in production for over fifteen years and the current total US investment in the F-35 lightning program since 2006 is $282 Billion. The total lifecycle cost for the entire American fleet is estimated to be US$1.51 trillion over its 50-year life, or $618 million per plane.

This has critics concerned.

The estimated program cost of the F-35 program is $1,510,000,000,000. To put that in prospective, the International space station cost $150 billion, meaning the US could have built TEN International Space Stations for the cost of the F-35 program. The Space Review estimated in 2010 the cost of Apollo from 1959 to 1973 as $20.4 billion, or $109 billion in 2010 dollars ie the cost of the Moon landings and numerous Apollo missions were less than 1/15 the cost of the F-35 program. The program has now cost more than Australia - the entire continent of Australia. The entirety of World War I only cost about 6 trillion, adjusted for inflation.

Critics contend that 15 years ago, $10 million per plane was considered an impressive sum. They point out that our military programs has somehow grown to 60 times that when the price of groceries has merely tripled and salaries have hardly budged in that time. The point out that people in the third world beat AK-47s out of scrap metal in garbage dumps and kill efficiently with them.

Some worry about the privatization of America's military. Some people point out that just before the Soviet Union collapsed, it experimented with 'privatization' which took things the nation rightfully owned and handed them off to 'private' owners with no expectation of any public benefit in return. Those critics say the f-35 program is the same, only with larger sums of money involved.

Critics of the F-35 program say it is overpriced, overengineered, overambitious and underperforming. They say the F-35 is inferior to the F-15SE and arguably inferior to the F-18 Super Hornet, both of which are orders of magnitude cheaper. They point out that one could purchase five F-18SEs for the price of one F-35 which carry a larger payload, use a trusted airframe with widely avaliable spare parts. They point out the planes currently available actually fly and are already combat capable. The F-35 has been in development for over 15 years.

Critics also say the US was dunder-headed to think that one airframe could fill all the roles that were placed on the F-35 program. They say that is the reason the F-35 why the plane has taken so long to develop - too much money for too many compromises.

They point out the F-22 was indeed expensive, but it was focused on one goal: air superiority, a goal that it does indeed succeed at.

Critics darkly whisper the F-35 was doomed to fail as soon as the military believed they could pull off a replacement for a dozen specialized airframes with one universal airframe. They say even the Russian military recognized you can only do so much with a Flanker, and kept more specialized airplanes like the SU-25 and MIG-31 for their designated roles.

Time will tell as to whether the F-35 is a cutting edge wonder-weapon, or an expensive boondoggle that wastes tax-payer money.

The F-22 is powered by a Pratt & Whitney F135 afterburning turbofan engine. It is 13 squares long and 9 squares wide (at its wingtips).

Crew: 1
Passenger(s): 0,
Cargo Capacity: 50 lbs
Initiative: -4
Maneuver: -1,
Top Speed: 2249 (235) (estimated)
Defense: 6
Hardness: 5
Hit Points: 58
Size: Gargantuan
Purchase DC: ?? (59?)
Restriction: Mil (+3)

Special Qualities: Hard to aquire by radar (DC 45 Computer Use)

Plot Hooks
The development of this new stealth aircraft promises to be a game-changer for the region. The PCs are American or British adventurers, military specialists, or independant security contractors and must learn more about this new aircraft

The PCs are responsible for securing the new F-35 Lightning II as it makes its way to airshows around the country. The public is prohibited of taking pictures of the new stealth fighter, but foreign spies are intent on snapping photos, even sneaking past barriers to snap a few shots.

As above, but the spies have pilot skills and are actually trying to steal the thing. (Spycraft?)

The PCs are test pilots, hired by Lockheed-Martin to test their new F-35 Lightning II stealth fighter.

A new type of stealth aircraft is making its presence known in a no-fly zone. Could someone have stolen a F-35 Lightning II? Or is someone else developing a similar aircraft. The PCs must find out,

The PCs are military pilots and while test flying the new F-35 Lightning II are engaged in combat by an as-yet unknown new type of stealthy aircraft. What is it, and who is developing it?

The PCs are foreign spies (Spycraft?) posing as journalists and must snap photos of the new F-35 Lightning II aircraft. They might even be called upon to steal one, or steal blueprints relating to its construction.

The PCs are engineers or techies and are called upon to build or provide information crucial to the building of a new stealth fight airplane. It's only later that they learn the information is being handed off to a country that is hostile to the US.

The PCs are adventurers, and have become stranded in an airport where the new F-35 Lightning II is being tested.

The PC are aircraft technicians and are must fix a damaged F-35 Lightning II. State TV and the press at large is launching a press conference rgarding this new stealth fighter and time is of the essence -- President Obama does not like to be kept waiting. It's a race against time to make the F-35 Lightning II air-worthy again.

The PCs are diplomats, and the developemmt of the new F-35 stealth aircraft will cause tensions arouind the world, especially in countries hostile to the US. The PCs must smooth things over with the leader of foreign countries.

The F-35 stealth fighter is the newest plane in the skies, and a foreign dictator wants one. What foreign dictator *wouldn't* want a new stealth fighter airplane? It would easily rule the skies and position him as a major power in the area. The dictator will stop at nothing to make one his. The PCs are either morally grey and must procure one, or, more likely, are trying to stop him from getting his hands on one.

Someone sabotages a F-35, so that it malfunctions in mid-flight during a live state TV broadcast, possibly to embarrass the US as they unveil their new stealth fighter jet. The PCs must find out who is responsible.

The PCs live in the future (d20 Future) and the shiny new F-35 Lightning II is little more than a technological relic and an archaic curiosity, rather like how a Model T appears to us in the present day. It's only value is as a historical collectible, and someone has used a matter transporter to steal one right out of an aviation museum, or out of a wealthy private collector's hangar. The PCs must find out who is responsible for the theft, and it's a race against time to crack the case.
Sign In to post comments