d20 Mass Effect - Campaign and Rules

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
I take issue with the question mark in the other one or two threads, and they're more hypothetical than anything. A friend and I have started drafting actual gameplay rules and hopefully, eventually, adventures too.

At this point we're going for "faithful adaptation" as much as the d20 rules will allow. Unfortunately d20 doesn't quite tote the physics engine BioWare uses. On the other hand, most BioWare games are rooted in a d20 system, so many things are translating nicely.

A lot of d20 Future rules, but playing a Mass Effect game means you have to toss the majority of the book out the window. New races, classes, gear, and gadgets.

Here's a better outline of what we're working on:

1. Kinetic Barriers

2. Medi-gel

3. Biotics - Uses Power Point system like Psionics, powers accessed via appropriate classes using "Talent" trees.

4. Tech abilities - Same as biotics

5. Advanced Classes - Adept, Engineer, Infiltrator, Sentinel, Soldier, Vanguard, Asari Scientist, Krogan Battlemaster, Quarian Machinist, and Turian Agent.

6. Prestige Classes - Bastion, Commando, Medic, Nemesis, Operative, Shock Trooper.

7. Stat weapons - Mostly complete

8. Stat armors - In progress

9. Stat weapon/armor upgrades - Brand new gadgets

10. Stat races - Mostly complete. Playable races Human, Turian, Quarian, Salarian, Asari, Krogan, Elcor, Batarian, Volus.

11. Organize locations

12. Stat starships - Starship construction system will work fine as is, but new defense systems and weapons need to be designed to reflect the power level of weapons in Mass Effect.

13. Write adventures
I guess I'm gonna have to D/L the demo before I can offer any help on your project. In these cases, without a feeling on how that 'verse flows, I dont want to corrupt the project.

I'll get to it Sun or Monday & see whats up
"Ok Jimmy, I'll hold the grenade pin while you put the mayonaise on the weasle"
What about the Hanar or Geth?

we would be willing to try to help with this. Biotics seems like you can use psionics for them.
The hanar I imagine will get statted down the road, but right now we're not considering them a playable race.

The geth are simply robots, which we already have rules for and plan on building because they're one of the main antagonist races. Maybe some special rules for their subconscious hive mind down the road, but otherwise regular d20 Future robots, which are quite functional as is.

I designed biotics personally and argued their power level back and forth with another designer for tweaking. I used psionics as a model for biotics, but they had to be different to reflect how biotics improve during the game. There are plenty of psionic abilities, but only six biotic abilities total in all of Mass Effect, and only one advanced class gets all six, the rest get bits and pieces. I had to mock up a sort of diversity by creating "power levels" for each biotic ability. Since different classes get different powers, I decided to exploit one of d20 Modern's unused benefits: talent trees.

Every advanced class that gets a biotic or tech ability has unique talent trees to build up their abilities, and they get talents to choose from usually every level. We modelled the Adept to see how the talent trees would work and worked it out that an Adept who put all his character and bonus feats into biotics could almost max out the entire talent tree. Biotics and tech need serious playtesting though. They're incredibly powerful in Mass Effect and we just don't know how well they'll fare in d20, especially given the gameplay changes (new weapon damages, kinetic barriers, medi-gel, etc).

At the very least this setting is going to be a lot more intense, and lethal, than regular d20 Future. What I really need is a web host to post a PDF or something. The tables I have in Word won't copy over to the boards, but I'd like to start showing you guys some stuff.

EDIT:

Now I've been wondering, work with Wealth or use the Credit system in Mass Effect? Thoughts?
The hanar I imagine will get statted down the road, but right now we're not considering them a playable race.

The geth are simply robots, which we already have rules for and plan on building because they're one of the main antagonist races. Maybe some special rules for their subconscious hive mind down the road, but otherwise regular d20 Future robots, which are quite functional as is.

Actually I really don't like the d20 Rules for Robots. At least not Robot PCs. Playing a Synthetic character basically means Dedicated is a top class choice because the 1d6 HD immediately becomes 1d10. I also don't like the 'no Con' score rule.

I'm no expert on the Mass Effect setting, but my 2 cents are to do all the races properly in the context of the setting. Think about what makes the Geth unique and emphasize that in a newly designed player character race.

That's my advice anyway, from an external viewer who is just a fan of seeing compaign settings evolve on these boards.
Thanks Skritti, nice to get suggestions from a veteran setting builder. I've not been ignoring the setting, oh no, more just reluctant to post because of formatting concerns. I'll probably be taking another look at the geth by your suggestion, I have some ideas, but as a race they aren't really playable as PCs. Maybe some kind of Liberated Geth or something, we'll see.

Since my last post, I've been working on the Advanced Classes and my friend has been patiently statting armor. Weapons are statted, and quite lethal. This is definitely a high powered setting, with very lethal weapons (especially shotguns), powerful shields, and unprecedented healing abilities.

Here's some text that doesn't require much formatting:

Kinetic Barriers

Kinetic barriers, more commonly called shields, are repulsive mass effect fields projected from tiny emitters, providing protection against most mass accelerator weapons. They safely deflect small objects traveling at rapid velocities. This affords protection from bullets and other dangerous projectiles, but still allows the user to sit down without knocking away their chair. The shielding afforded by kinetic barriers does not protect against extremes of temperature, toxins or radiation.

There are two characteristics of kinetic barriers that concern users: strength and recharge rate.

Kinetic Barrier Strength

Barrier strength simply refers to the energetic pounding a barrier can take before fading and leaving the user vulnerable. Barrier strength is represented by shield points (SP) which vary based on the armor, vehicle, or ship the barrier is installed on. In addition to baseline performance, biotic abilities such as Barrier and technical upgrades with the Electronics class feature increases the damage threshold of kinetic barriers.

Kinetic Barrier Recharge Rate

All barrier emitters have an inherent recharge rate as emitters right themselves from the pounding they’ve taken and re-establish a functional barrier. Kinetic barriers are recharged once every turn (10 rounds), which restores an amount of shield points equal to the recharge rate. In addition to baseline performance, certain class abilities increase the recharge rate of a kinetic barrier.

Medi-gel

Medi-gel (medical gel) is an all-purpose medicinal salve combining an anesthetic and clotting agent used by paramedics, EMTs, and military personnel, produced by the Sirta Foundation. It heals various wounds and ailments, instantly sealing injuries against infection and allowing for rapid healing by having the gel grip tight to flesh until subjected to a frequency of ultrasound. It is sealable against liquids - most notably blood - as well as contaminants and gases. Technically its properties make it illegal under genetic modification laws, but the restriction goes unnoticed because medi-gel is so useful.

All personal armors come ready-equipped with medi-gel dispensers for quick use in combat situations. Overall this reduces the need for combat medics (though a user skilled with medi-gel does a much better job than one unskilled) on the battlefield, since every soldier’s armor has the ability to apply treatments.

Activating the medi-gel system requires a move action. Medi-gel can be applied for self-aid, but it can also be applied to allies as long as they are in an adjacent square (and applying still only requires a move action).

The downside of the quick delivery system for medi-gel is a slow recharge time while the system prepares another batch for ready-use. Medi-gel dispensers equipped into armors require one turn (10 rounds) to recharge. Only a certain quantity of medi-gel can be stored on a particular suit of armor and refilling is required from time to time. Medi-gel comes in convenient dispensers that are easily inserted into armor, a process which takes only a move action for refilling any amount of medi-gel (up to the maximum amount). Generally a suit of armor can hold enough medi-gel for five applications, but armor specifications can vary. In addition, a number of upgrades and class features can improve medi-gel in one form or another.

There are two types of medi-gel, standard grade and military grade.

Standard grade: Target regains 1d4 hit points for every character level the target has.
Military grade: Target regains 1d6 hit points for every character level the target has.

Treat Injury and Medi-gel

Treat Injury improves the effectiveness of medi-gel. When attempting to Restore Hit Points (DC 15), the effectiveness of medi-gel increases by one die if the check is successful. For every 10 over the DC, another die is added.

When performing surgery to restore hit points, the check goes as normal. A surgeon can add one canister of medi-gel, increase the DC to 25 and, if successful, add the medi-gel check onto the surgery check.

Omni-gel

Omni-gel is a semi-liquid solution of programmed nanites that repair certain types of alloys. Generalized omni-gel will, if given a specific command by the user, repair the alloys used in weapons, armor, and vehicles by the Systems Alliance. Weapons and armor in the setting can also be degraded into omni-gel with a unique authorization code.

One canister of omni-gel is about the size of a writing pen and weights 0.25lbs. All weapons and armors in the setting degrade into four canisters of omni-gel.

Omni-gel can be used while making a Repair check to improve the amount of hit points restored to a synthetic target. When repairing vehicles or starships, a maximum of ten canisters of omni-gel can be used per application. Each canister of omni-gel adds one bonus hit point repaired, to a maximum of +10. When repairing robots, cybernetics, or other synthetics, a maximum of four canisters of omni-gel can be used per application.

Speedy Repairs

Normally a Repair check requires one hour of work, however, omni-gel can be used to speed up the process for even quicker combat repairs. A character can choose to use omni-gel to make an automatically successful Repair check in only one turn, though doing so reduces the effectiveness of the repair. To use speedy repairs on vehicles or starships, ten canisters must be used, and it will repair 1d6+2 hit points. To use speedy repairs on robots, cybernetics, or other synthetics, four canisters must be used, and it will repair 1d4+2 hit points.
I take issue with the question mark in the other one or two threads, and they're more hypothetical than anything. A friend and I have started drafting actual gameplay rules and hopefully, eventually, adventures too. At this point we're going for "faithful adaptation" as much as the d20 rules will allow. Unfortunately d20 doesn't quite tote the physics engine BioWare uses. On the other hand, most BioWare games are rooted in a d20 system, so many things are translating nicely. A lot of d20 Future rules, but playing a Mass Effect game means you have to toss the majority of the book out the window. New races, classes, gear, and gadgets. Here's a better outline of what we're working on: 1. Kinetic Barriers 2. Medi-gel 3. Biotics - Uses Power Point system like Psionics, powers accessed via appropriate classes using "Talent" trees. 4. Tech abilities - Same as biotics 5. Advanced Classes - Adept, Engineer, Infiltrator, Sentinel, Soldier, Vanguard, Asari Scientist, Krogan Battlemaster, Quarian Machinist, and Turian Agent. 6. Prestige Classes - Bastion, Commando, Medic, Nemesis, Operative, Shock Trooper. 7. Stat weapons - Mostly complete 8. Stat armors - In progress 9. Stat weapon/armor upgrades - Brand new gadgets 10. Stat races - Mostly complete. Playable races Human, Turian, Quarian, Salarian, Asari, Krogan, Elcor, Batarian, Volus. 11. Organize locations 12. Stat starships - Starship construction system will work fine as is, but new defense systems and weapons need to be designed to reflect the power level of weapons in Mass Effect. 13. Write adventures

Hey there!

Great idea =)

I've also been working on a Mass Effect adaptation based on D20 and 4.0 rules. I have quite a bit finished, yet not up on the wiki yet. There is a forums as well, which requires registration, however it has numerous PDFs on the work I've completed.

Forums: woodardsrevenge.com <-click on the Mass Effect Forums

Feel free to check it out: woodardsrevenge.com/wiki/index.php?title...

Thanks Skritti, nice to get suggestions from a veteran setting builder. I've not been ignoring the setting, oh no, more just reluctant to post because of formatting concerns. I'll probably be taking another look at the geth by your suggestion, I have some ideas, but as a race they aren't really playable as PCs. Maybe some kind of Liberated Geth or something, we'll see. Since my last post, I've been working on the Advanced Classes and my friend has been patiently statting armor. Weapons are statted, and quite lethal. This is definitely a high powered setting, with very lethal weapons (especially shotguns), powerful shields, and unprecedented healing abilities. Here's some text that doesn't require much formatting: ****************** Kinetic Barriers Kinetic barriers, more commonly called shields, are repulsive mass effect fields projected from tiny emitters, providing protection against most mass accelerator weapons. They safely deflect small objects traveling at rapid velocities. This affords protection from bullets and other dangerous projectiles, but still allows the user to sit down without knocking away their chair. The shielding afforded by kinetic barriers does not protect against extremes of temperature, toxins or radiation. There are two characteristics of kinetic barriers that concern users: strength and recharge rate. Kinetic Barrier Strength Barrier strength simply refers to the energetic pounding a barrier can take before fading and leaving the user vulnerable. Barrier strength is represented by shield points (SP) which vary based on the armor, vehicle, or ship the barrier is installed on. In addition to baseline performance, biotic abilities such as Barrier and technical upgrades with the Electronics class feature increases the damage threshold of kinetic barriers. Kinetic Barrier Recharge Rate All barrier emitters have an inherent recharge rate as emitters right themselves from the pounding they’ve taken and re-establish a functional barrier. Kinetic barriers are recharged once every turn (10 rounds), which restores an amount of shield points equal to the recharge rate. In addition to baseline performance, certain class abilities increase the recharge rate of a kinetic barrier. Medi-gel Medi-gel (medical gel) is an all-purpose medicinal salve combining an anesthetic and clotting agent used by paramedics, EMTs, and military personnel, produced by the Sirta Foundation. It heals various wounds and ailments, instantly sealing injuries against infection and allowing for rapid healing by having the gel grip tight to flesh until subjected to a frequency of ultrasound. It is sealable against liquids - most notably blood - as well as contaminants and gases. Technically its properties make it illegal under genetic modification laws, but the restriction goes unnoticed because medi-gel is so useful. All personal armors come ready-equipped with medi-gel dispensers for quick use in combat situations. Overall this reduces the need for combat medics (though a user skilled with medi-gel does a much better job than one unskilled) on the battlefield, since every soldier’s armor has the ability to apply treatments. Activating the medi-gel system requires a move action. Medi-gel can be applied for self-aid, but it can also be applied to allies as long as they are in an adjacent square (and applying still only requires a move action). The downside of the quick delivery system for medi-gel is a slow recharge time while the system prepares another batch for ready-use. Medi-gel dispensers equipped into armors require one turn (10 rounds) to recharge. Only a certain quantity of medi-gel can be stored on a particular suit of armor and refilling is required from time to time. Medi-gel comes in convenient dispensers that are easily inserted into armor, a process which takes only a move action for refilling any amount of medi-gel (up to the maximum amount). Generally a suit of armor can hold enough medi-gel for five applications, but armor specifications can vary. In addition, a number of upgrades and class features can improve medi-gel in one form or another. There are two types of medi-gel, standard grade and military grade. Standard grade: Target regains 1d4 hit points for every character level the target has. Military grade: Target regains 1d6 hit points for every character level the target has. Treat Injury and Medi-gel Treat Injury improves the effectiveness of medi-gel. When attempting to Restore Hit Points (DC 15), the effectiveness of medi-gel increases by one die if the check is successful. For every 10 over the DC, another die is added. When performing surgery to restore hit points, the check goes as normal. A surgeon can add one canister of medi-gel, increase the DC to 25 and, if successful, add the medi-gel check onto the surgery check. Omni-gel Omni-gel is a semi-liquid solution of programmed nanites that repair certain types of alloys. Generalized omni-gel will, if given a specific command by the user, repair the alloys used in weapons, armor, and vehicles by the Systems Alliance. Weapons and armor in the setting can also be degraded into omni-gel with a unique authorization code. One canister of omni-gel is about the size of a writing pen and weights 0.25lbs. All weapons and armors in the setting degrade into four canisters of omni-gel. Omni-gel can be used while making a Repair check to improve the amount of hit points restored to a synthetic target. When repairing vehicles or starships, a maximum of ten canisters of omni-gel can be used per application. Each canister of omni-gel adds one bonus hit point repaired, to a maximum of +10. When repairing robots, cybernetics, or other synthetics, a maximum of four canisters of omni-gel can be used per application. Speedy Repairs Normally a Repair check requires one hour of work, however, omni-gel can be used to speed up the process for even quicker combat repairs. A character can choose to use omni-gel to make an automatically successful Repair check in only one turn, though doing so reduces the effectiveness of the repair. To use speedy repairs on vehicles or starships, ten canisters must be used, and it will repair 1d6+2 hit points. To use speedy repairs on robots, cybernetics, or other synthetics, four canisters must be used, and it will repair 1d4+2 hit points.

I just read your entire post in the voice of the Mass Effect 1 in-game codex... in my mind.

Kind of like this...

Hello, Seen that some one had been thinking of rules for mass effect. But it has been three years. So I'm wandering if there has been any more happening with it now
I'm pretty sure there is already a mass effect pdf some where.
To be honest I just finished a D20 modern mass effect character builder, was just looking for a good character sheet to use and found this.
I am sorry to dig up such an old topic, however I have been working on a ME d20 conversion for the past year and a half. I've been working on it mostly alone and now that it is about 1/2 finished I've decided to show my work on the following forums:
masseffectd20.freeforums.org/index.php

From what I've been able to find in the internet, (after hours of searching through search engines and foruns) my work is by far the most complete on this subject.
If anyone is still interested, I'll take all the opinions and ideas into serious consideration and do my best to answer any question someone might have about this conversion. And since I could use different set of eyes, and more people testing it other than me, any help and feedback is appreciated.
It is a completely free and fan-made conversion and I'll gladly send the up-to-date PDF version to anyone that sends me a PM through there.
Cool! You've done a ton of work! I've got a group of people that want me to finish my Mass Effect Campaign Setting, Version 2.0 (one that I've been working on for 2 years or so) and I think I just might within the next month. Cool

I'm about 70% done with mine as all I need to do is flesh out the baddies that I've compiled from a bunch of different sources.

Looks like we should have sat down and written it together haha!

Hey is this complete or what? i just started writing a base line for the stuff then wondered if there was already a layout for it. im addicted to mass effect and D&D. also i read the posts and wanted to ask if you were going to make shields and barriers or leave it as a simple one type system.( just KB instead of Shield and barriers) i would like to see ( dont have to) the layout you have wrote up because i alredy have a campaign outline written up or multiple ones. some what short for experimenting. 

"Death. Thats all I carry with me in these times of blooded mountains and rivers, burning towns and barren lands. Reaping the souls from the living and twice murdering the undead, my soul, blacker than a necromancers touch, is colder than the mountains the dwarves live in. My name is Malrith, Devourer of life and death, destined and cursed to walk the lands as a destroyer to all, good or evil, my blade`s thirst never quenches nor the jaws of my dragon." - Malrith the Devourer

Sign In to post comments