Favorite Firearm/Firearm Combo

191 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey all, as the title suggests this is a thread where you can post your favorite Firearm/Firearm Combo. Any firearm from the Core Rulebook, Urban Arcana, and Weapons Locker is fair game, except the 5-7. I do not want this to turn into a rules/balance debate, so please refrain. This thread is made to be fun and informative.

Please explain why you are so fond of your particular firearm selection. What advantages does it convey that others lack? What particular niche would it fill?

Also, please, no magic, and keep it to d20 modern.

An example:

AAT-21 Heavy (7.62 mm Machine Gun), (Weapons Locker, 160)

This General-Purpose Machine Gun deals 2d12 damage. Unlike most machine guns, however, it is large sized. This means that it can be fired normally from the hip without having to spend a move action to set up a bipod. Also, it does not require exotic firearms proficiency, as it is not a heavy machine gun. One must keep in mind that this uses linked ammunition, and that any link of 50 rounds or over requires two people to operate. This is easily sidestepped, though. Feed it with links of 40, and when you are down to 5 rounds, attach another link. Combining two links is normally a move action, but can be done as a free action with the Quick Reload feat. This weapon also benefits most from the Burst Fire feat and high-explosive ammunition. Remember that, though you may not be able to buy entire links of explosive ammunition, a link can be constructed by hand using boxed ammo in 10 minutes. Just take an hour out of your day and you'll be set for a while. 5d12 damage anyone?

This particular choice of weapon allows a player to deal large amounts of damage without sacrificing mobility. It is a superior weapons solution to those not worried about keeping a low profile.

Alright, thats mine, anyone else care to share?
Shotgun. theres something pleasent about being in close quarters and sending a guy down a hallway or blowing a demon in half with a slug.
Hey all, as the title suggests this is a thread where you can post your favorite Firearm/Firearm Combo. Any firearm from the Core Rulebook, Urban Arcana, and Weapons Locker is fair game, except the 5-7. I do not want this to turn into a rules/balance debate, so please refrain. This thread is made to be fun and informative.

Please explain why you are so fond of your particular firearm selection. What advantages does it convey that others lack? What particular niche would it fill?

Also, please, no magic, and keep it to d20 modern.

An example:

AAT-21 Heavy (7.62 mm Machine Gun), (Weapons Locker, 160)

This General-Purpose Machine Gun deals 2d12 damage. Unlike most machine guns, however, it is large sized. This means that it can be fired normally from the hip without having to spend a move action to set up a bipod. Also, it does not require exotic firearms proficiency, as it is not a heavy machine gun. One must keep in mind that this uses linked ammunition, and that any link of 50 rounds or over requires two people to operate. This is easily sidestepped, though. Feed it with links of 40, and when you are down to 5 rounds, attach another link. Combining two links is normally a move action, but can be done as a free action with the Quick Reload feat. This weapon also benefits most from the Burst Fire feat and high-explosive ammunition. Remember that, though you may not be able to buy entire links of explosive ammunition, a link can be constructed by hand using boxed ammo in 10 minutes. Just take an hour out of your day and you'll be set for a while. 5d12 damage anyone?

This particular choice of weapon allows a player to deal large amounts of damage without sacrificing mobility. It is a superior weapons solution to those not worried about keeping a low profile.

Alright, thats mine, anyone else care to share?

Wait, a 7.62 doing 2d12? That's gotta be a misprint. 7.62 should only do 2d10 not 2d12.
i'm a big fan of the HK G3 with a good quality 6x scope. sure its a bit big but its accuracy, range and stopping power more then make up for that.

take that combined with an HK MP7 as a back up/cqb weapon an you've got a very dangerous and flexible package offering range mobility and even stealth.

to sumerise 7.62 2d10 sniper rifle that becomes an assault rifle at the flick of a switch with a 4.6mm 2d6 machine pistol with some serious armour penetration

MP7
IMAGE(http://www.planetairsoft.net/reviews/marui-mp7/real-mp7.jpg)

HK G3
IMAGE(http://members.shaw.ca/tmcveigh/Projects/GunRights/images/hk_g3a4.jpg)
My last character used an FG-42 with a Browning Hi-Power as his backup. Loads of WWII-vintage fun!
Most played character has a 1911 & 1 spare mag
Smart guys need a gun too, so I went oldschool... the classics never go out of style.

Western guy has a Winchester '73 (36") in 44-40 & Peacemaker in 44-40
Why carry 2 kinds of ammo, just shoot both guns from one bandolier & box of spares. Plenty enough power and range from the extra long rifle... not a buffalo gun by any means, but does a fine job of making a pistolero know just how far out of pistol range this rifle shoots. We use 2d8 for both guns, the FanRevolver DoubleTap rule, and custom houserules for quickdraw showdowns.

My munchkin-twink has a TWF brace of 45-70 4"derringers
cause even I sometimes just wanna go silly abusing rules with tiny 2d10 guns. Lots of running around & mario bro action

"Ok Jimmy, I'll hold the grenade pin while you put the mayonaise on the weasle"
Wait, a 7.62 doing 2d12? That's gotta be a misprint. 7.62 should only do 2d10 not 2d12.

There are two versions of this machine gun, one that does 2d10, and one that does 2d12. Both are sized large. Doesn't look like a misprint to me.
The L85A1 or A2 is my personal choice due to its balance with the bullpup design, accuracy, and it looks awesome to boot.
FN Minimi paratrooper version:
IMAGE(http://www.gamepod.com/product064001.jpg)

With an HK USP Tactical backup:
IMAGE(http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hk-usp45tac.jpg)

:P
This new forum is terrible. Try again Wizards.
My munchkin-twink has a TWF brace of 45-70 4"derringers cause even I sometimes just wanna go silly abusing rules with tiny 2d10 guns. Lots of running around & mario bro action

Could you cite a page number for this gun?

On a side note, there have been a few people who just post a picture of a gun and say that it looks cool. Please, if you are going to post your favorite d20 modern firearms combination, at least give a short commentary, perhaps with some stats? Thanks.
I like the M-14 (or the newer M-21). It has sentimental value in that it was used by one of the Delta snipers in Mogadishu (Shugart or Gordan, I can't remember which). I just love the way it looks. Take double-tap and I'm good to go.
IMAGE(http://homepage3.nifty.com/sweeper/gun/auto_r/fg42.jpg)

These are the two main mass-production variants of the FG-42 paratroop rifle. The top is the earlier 'E' version, used in Otto Skorzeny's raid to free Mussolini, and found most frequently in Italy (though there were only about 2,000 total units produced).

The bottom is the 'G' variant, a redesign by Rheinmetall to reduce manufacturing time and cost, and to increase reliability and performance. The receiver was changed from a high-quality machined steel forging to a mid-grade carbon steel stamping, the bipod was altered to fold at the front instead of the rear, the stamped metal stock was replaced with wood, a different scope and mount were used, an improved muzzle brake was developed, the pistol grip was redesigned for better ergonomics and a magazine well cover was developed to prevent the ingress of foreign matter. The cyclic rate was also reduced in an effort to improve controllability. Approximately 5,000 units were produced, and were most often found on the Western front.

The FG-42 'G' has the following stats:

German 7.92mm Battle Rifle
Caliber: 7.92x57mm schwere Spitzegeschoss (a.k.a. 8mm Mauser)
Damage: 2d10
Critical: 20x2
Range Increment: 90'
Magazine: 20 Box
RoF: S,A
Restriction: Res (+2)
Purchase DC: 32 (Legally registered examples are very rare, and can go for as much as $80,000 on the open market)
Special: The FG-42 'G' comes with a folding bipod, integral bayonet and standard telescopic sight.
One of mine is the Tommy Gun (D20 past)
Advantages: Lots of firepower in a compact package...fully automatic.
Completely legal...in the 1920's
100 rounds...very rare to run out of ammunition. Rapid Reload for those times when you DO run out.

Need far shot (to compensate for the short range) and advanced firearms proficiency. Rapid shot helps, also, for that true hail of silver. Mine also has +1 distance...

And the biggest advantage...available in the mid 1920's.

My other favorite: 16"/50. When it absolutely, positively has to be turned into a crater. Needs exotic weapoin proficiency.

And for a more eccentric character, a .60 calliber double barreled black powder flintlock with 21st century high explosive armor piercing ammunition.
Irish-
We have played that the 16" HC(13) shell does a standard 4d8 damage,
when it falls off a rack & squishes a guy. It does insanely more when armed, fired, & detonated. ;)

So do you play that if a mk7 16" HC(13) is 200d6,
will it be 200d6 +1d6 for Doubletap?

And does it still get just RI+10 & +2damage for the 16" Hollowpoint Boattail?
Does Glaser make safety slugs in 16" for home defense?

But come on, if we smoothebore it, would it be a 00000000000000Guage or will be go ahead and start using negative numbers for guage nomenclature?
But come on, if we smoothbore it, would it be a 00000000000000Guage or will be go ahead and start using negative numbers for gauge nomenclature?

It would be a .0025 gage shotgun. At the same proportions as a 12ga firing 00 buckshot, you would load it with 24-pounder cannon balls.

Wow.

FYI, Gauge for firearms is the number of lead balls of a given diameter that weighs one pound. IE, it takes 12 18mm lead balls to be 1lb.
Hehehe, with that thing, who says birdshot isn't effective against bad guys? . Lets see, you get something like 200 pellets in birdshot, right? That would still be each shot greater than half a pound, right? I don't know how many balls of 00 buck are in a 12-gauge.
Oldschool 12ga was 9 pellets
now we use the bigger stuff with 12 pellets... or more

look at the math this way:
how many pound per ball does it take to have 200 balls add up to 1900lb 16" projectile. The fun way would be to load it with 2000 m67frags.

what is worse, having a m67grag go off right next to you, or getting hit in the chest with an undetonated m67frag at 2500fps ?

just dont stat it under d20 Future Mecha rules,
or the muzzle fireball will reach past 2 nerfy RI's, and it will have just a 25' burst
I'm a fan of the M-16 with M67 frag grenades. Why? Because it gives my character the military feel when I play a military character. It works for me. :D
Joshy-
nice, very traditional. I like to see folks take the classics or go with character style more than minmax grabbing the broken guns for the munchies
Oldschool 12ga was 9 pellets
now we use the bigger stuff with 12 pellets... or more

look at the math this way:
how many pound per ball does it take to have 200 balls add up to 1900lb 16" projectile. The fun way would be to load it with 2000 m67frags.

what is worse, having a m67grag go off right next to you, or getting hit in the chest with an undetonated m67frag at 2500fps ?

just dont stat it under d20 Future Mecha rules,
or the muzzle fireball will reach past 2 nerfy RI's, and it will have just a 25' burst

Hmm... Can I have about a 10' by 8' by 1' of tank armor between the grenade and me?

For style, I like the Winchester 92 and mare's leg my western-themed 1930s pulp hero has, the GM and I agreed to pretend the .44-40 is identical to the .444 marlin. At level 11 or so, I run out of ammo really fast though. With the improved far shot feat from sniper, I get 180 foot range increments with the '92, and 60' with the mare's leg. The 21 MAS save for my attacks would also help, if I could just get my doubletaps to start doing decent damage.
oh Nadiasho, dont be silly.... you know the Iowa can punch 30" of armor & go bang on the other side. 1'Tank Armor wont cut it
Okay... can I have the bad guy firing the giant grenade shotgun between me and the iowa for concealment?
so far i seem the only pro european weapon guy my G3 is a cold war euro classic surely that counts.
granted the mp7 is a crazy 4.7 joby but it is awsome, ignores most body armour and has a good recoil profile

that is a military set though so my civi set would be a custom 1911 with compensators, bored chambers and all other crazy gun lingo to boot and an
m4, i have a real soft spot for a tasty m4 with a RIS for grip and a red dot sight
my euro civi set of weapons would be 2 over under shotguns that i'd saw down and i'd take rapid reload
I'll tip my hat to the G3, M4, and 1911. I'm not a big fan of low mass high velocity round, though, so I'd pass on the MP7. 5.56 is pretty much the smallest slug that I'm inclined to tolerate.

I like your last choice as well. It's a pity that shot guns get so gimped in d20.

so far i seem the only pro european weapon guy my G3 is a cold war euro classic surely that counts.
granted the mp7 is a crazy 4.7 joby but it is awsome, ignores most body armour and has a good recoil profile

that is a military set though so my civi set would be a custom 1911 with compensators, bored chambers and all other crazy gun lingo to boot and an
m4, i have a real soft spot for a tasty m4 with a RIS for grip and a red dot sight
my euro civi set of weapons would be 2 over under shotguns that i'd saw down and i'd take rapid reload

Is the Man From UNCLE gun in the WL?
Cause that freakadelic Walther P38 Uber-Gadget-System is the cat's meow

Why have a combination of guns, when your 1 gun is a combination of mission application gadgets, Pistol, Carbine, SMG, Sniper... that was one workhorse of a P38
How `bout the Pancor Jackhammer? It's useless as heck, but it's a shotgun.... that's automatic :D (and there's supposed to only be two in existence, so it would be quite a talking point).

Just gadget in an underslung Derringer rack (5 Derringers mounted in-line), and you're good to go.

Well, it's no sillier than a shotgun that shoots cannonballs.
Well, my first d20 Modern campaign involved heavy used of M82A2 rifle (actually, multiple M82A2s with HE ammo and rapid shot). The two PCs were 15 year old japanese girls (played by college freshmen boys) who abused Slight of Hand to sneak them into pretty much anywhere. They were quite deadly.

My next campaign involved MGLs loaded with frag grenades, silver frag grenades. This was after a small wolf problem (Exit 23), and they decided that grenades would be the easiest way to take care of any problem. I had to escalate with magic combined with gadgets. It was a harms race, and as we all know, nobody really wins a harms race.

For my next mercenary/special agent/wild card character, I'm going to go fairly robust. For the primary weapon, I'm going with an FN SCAR, with an USAS-12 and an MGL as backup primaries. For the sidearm, twin 1911s, with twin M9s and twin Mk 23 USSOCOM as backups. Then, as a tactical weapon, an XM500 AMR. All would be carried in Aluminum Travel Cases, with the specific weapon chosen at mission start. Also, extra magazine would be a must, some with special loads (though those would usually be kept in the travel cases). The SCAR is the USSOCOM M16/M4/M14/Mk. 29 replacement. The USAS-12 is an Auto-fire capable shotgun. The MGL is a six-shot rotary 40mm grenade launcher in use by the Marines in Iraq. The 1911 is the standard in sidearms. The M9 is the standard issue US military sidearm. The Mk. 23 USSOCOM, is well, the USSOCOM sidearm. The XM500 is a bullpup derivative of the M82/M107 AMR, and is lighter, shorter, and only slightly less accurate. A Mastercraft +3 Mesh Vest would be essential.
Joseph Scharfenberg -- "Propaganda: What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies right to our faces." - demotivator -- I lost my obligatory Backstabbist quotes. I promise to find them, really.
Any .30 cal (BAR, M-14, FN FAL etc.) as my primary assault weapon, and my backup is a Rossi stagecoach double barrel 12 gauge, sawed and cut.

I Also carry around exta Shotgun shells to make Knee poppers and gut busters :D.

The FG-42, Minimi, USP tactical, and L85 are all european guns mentioned.
the l85 is a steaming pile of............. well you know it is made of very un durable plastic and cheap tinny metal, its action is notoriously prone to jamming in anything but perfect conditions so we don't mention that but the other 3 are great though the fg42 don't really count as their rarer then hens teeth
For crowd control, what would you guys propose? Are shotguns (ingame) good versus crowds? Wouldn't a G3 be better at that (still ingame)? A grenade launcher with gas grenades is of course preferable..
For crowd control, what would you guys propose? Are shotguns (ingame) good versus crowds? Wouldn't a G3 be better at that (still ingame)? A grenade launcher with gas grenades is of course preferable..

Per the official rules, shotguns are next to worthless.

And what do you mean by 'crowd control'? Riot police generally use less-lethal weapons against civic disturbances. They don't start spraying 7.62x51mm rounds into the crowd. That's 'crowd destruction', not 'crowd control'.

For real crowd control, you want to use area-effect less-lethal munitions, like tear gas or pepper gas. Then you throw in hundreds of guys in body armor with shields and batons.
J-
what about the Microwave Emitter humvee system that simmers the crowd?

For a bunch of years the FAL (7.62 s/a rifle) was getting passed out to low budget armies like potato chips at a party. Where did all of them go?
J-
what about the Microwave Emitter humvee system that simmers the crowd?

For a bunch of years the FAL (7.62 s/a rifle) was getting passed out to low budget armies like potato chips at a party. Where did all of them go?

I've got 'em... ;)

And about the G3 Crowd Control, I was thinking of rubber balls, of course..
Are Pit Bulls & SuperSoakers in WL?
Cause you hose the crowd down with a supersoaker full of A-1 sauce, and they really dont want to be anywhere near the dogs.
Well, there's a super watergun in Urban Arcana. It's got a max range of 10 ft. though.
Joseph Scharfenberg -- "Propaganda: What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies right to our faces." - demotivator -- I lost my obligatory Backstabbist quotes. I promise to find them, really.
Last campaign my default “mook” was outfitted with a MP5 and a Glock 17.

I liked the idea of using the same ammunition for all their firearms, plus it gave me a logical reason to keep the damage to 2d6.

Don't drink the holy-water; we don't like it when you drink the holy-water.

:evillaugh That would be "motivational".

Are Pit Bulls & SuperSoakers in WL?
Cause you hose the crowd down with a supersoaker full of A-1 sauce, and they really dont want to be anywhere near the dogs.

Last campaign my default “mook” was outfitted with a MP5 and a Glock 17.

that has got to be the most expensive henchman on the plannet.
Did you give them nike shoes & iPhones too?

For the cost of equipping that one guy, we could get a bunch of surplus rusty SKS & .38 special for a whole squad of mooks. Think like a villian, we dont have 401k & Dental for our $10000toys mooks, we have the unwashed masses that "Will Mook For Food". Legions are not expensive, unless you try to go crazy outfitting them. The villians dont get that equipment back when the mook dies.

Hecklers & Nikes?
You get just as killing & running from a walmart knock off set of shoes, and paying for the label HK is just silly when you could pick up 3 or 4 used guns or Blemishes from the outlet stores.
@Belly I heard the A2 was worked over so that it was better than the L85/A1.

I would think the action jamming is more of a problem with construction than with design, neither the AR-18 nor the G36 have that kind of problem that I have heard of.

I hope that in a couple years, I can still get my hands on one of those Sterling AR-18 semi-autos, I hear those are better than the ones Armalite makes these days.
Armalite is one of the lower-end makers these days. It's not the same company as it was in the 1960s. The original company went out of business and the name was bought by the current company to cash in on the famous moniker.