alternate start for sons of kyuss?

35 posts / 0 new
Last post
Rather than use the infectous zombies of kyuss ,how about this for an alternate start.EPISODE ONE-an ax murderer is stalking the city.As the players close in on the killer and his cultish freinds,the authorites take the ax -murderer away because it's the child of an u.n. diplomat and has diplomatic immunity.INTERLUDE-2 or 3 adventures go by.EPISODE TWO-the ax murders begin anew and this time the pcs are told"shoot him like a mad dog".the players kill the ax -murderer.EPISODE THREE-the cult of kyuss raises the ax-murdrer as a MOHRG(pg 189 monster manual)and his zombie victims begin to rise from their graves and attack people.notes-this would make a more containable zombie threat that a low level party could handle unlike the infectious zombies in heirs of kyuss.Just a random campaign start?thoughts please.

I will immediately report any Phishers or Lonely Hearts Scam Artists.

I like the idea, but you may want to consider giving the ax murderer a different weapon. If the murder is the son of a UN diplomat, you could give him something that reflects his country of origin: a katana, an Aztec club or eastern European claymore or something. You could lead the players to believe that the killer was an innocent victim of a cursed weapon, then surprise them when he turns out to be a member of an evil cult.
I appreciate the advice but nothing says dangerous loonie like ax murderer.I suppose it's because I live near fall river(home of lizzie borden).

A RE-TELLING OF THE LEGEND OF KYUSS The story of KYUSS begins quite simply.A wizard marrys,his wife dies,he mourns and attempts to understand her death.This leads wizard into necromancy.During the the necromancer's research he notices how worms and corpses seem to go together and in a flash of insight wonders what would the world be like if worms showed up to cause death,and maintain un-life,rather than just feeding on the mortal remains?KYUSS sets out to create a necromantically-powered worm that would pass the gift of un-life from person to person.KYUSS used these undead to conquer a kingdom and engage in an act of mass sacrifice so horrendous it elevated him from lichdom to divine status.KYUSS's original kingdom was destroyed by outside forces but this foul godling continues to spread across the the multiverse,eating whole worlds and damning souls one worm-infested corpse at a time.

SONS OF KYUSS-a splinter group of the heirs of kyuss.A woman-hating,self-mutilating bunch of creeps.The main interest of this group is not the birth of an avatar of kyuss but the creation of a world of UNLIFE,much like the PALE KINGDOM of lovecraftian lore.This sect has members devoted to;vivesection,undead creation,Negative planar research,death cults,the afterlife and anything involving the DARK ARTS.This cult can be recognised by missing fingers which they bite off as a form of self punishment and by their moronic sloganeering;DARKNESS FALLS,ENTROPY HAPPENS,EMBRACE YOUR FEARS,KYUSS UBER ALLES.....ETC.

Evil kyuss plot.....The sons of kyuss are working on the flesh eating bacteria (streptococcal gangrene) that causes infectious ghoulism in modern D20(pg 49 menace manual).The SOK intend to pass out free samples of face cream(laced with virus) to girls at the local mall.This attack fits in well with the SOK goal of creating intelligent,sustainable undead and is an attack on cute girls.I see the players catching on as mallrats start spreading the disease with the beloved of Wee Jas becoming involved as well.random thoughts.

THE SLOPPY JOE KILLINGS-I have been thinking of creating an NPC killer.It would be a Ghoul with the malleable template from pg 61 menace manual.This would yield a killer who could squeeze thru storm drains and ooze under doors,leading to "locked room" killings to baffle the police and heros.I like the name SLOPPY JOE because his body is loose and his eating habits are ghastly.

Weird undead thought---If you had a wheel like a hampsters wheel( but large enough to hold a horse)and hooked it up to an electrical generater.Could you put a skeletal horse in the wheel and use it to power your house and sell electricity back to the power company?I once ran an adventure in D+D where a country was being run by a death cult that used undead oxen to run grist mills and farm equipement 24/7.This was a big advantage because the animals also didn't need food.RANDOM THOUGHTS.

There are goth cults filled with "petitioners" who want to join "the lonely ones".I ponder an adventure where some one is selling vampirism or ghoulism.Vampires are cool and trendy and would probably be popular with thrillseekers.Ghouls are gross but can mingle easier because they can go out in daylight and eat any meat so I don't know what I'd choose.

Another possible start for a KYUSS campaign.A black ovoid is moving thru space towards earth.As it enters the earths atmosphere it begins to heat and strange glowing runes appear on the sides.The ovoid lands in the city of your choice.Investigators approach the ovoid.The ovoid explodes in a burst of black radiance killing 10% of the cities populace.Before people can adjust to their loss the dead begin to thrash and twitch upon the earth.Suddenly the animated skeletons of the dead rip free from their mortal remains and begin to attack the living.THE NIGHT OF BLOODY BONES HAS BEGUN!..
UNLIFE BOMB
I have used some form of unlife bomb to spice up my campaigns and get rid of unwanted NPCs for years.Sometimes the unlife bombs create ghouls or zombies instead of skeletons,but the skeletons ripping free is more cinematic,especially if you make a few slurping sounds.

Another weird Kyuss plot.In the TV show the Adams family they had an animated severed hand.Suppose a cult of kyuss figured out how to use the crawling claws spell with an awaken undead spell(libris mortis).This would yield undead hands that could follow simple orders even if they couldn't speak.What a lovely X-mas present for your goth friends!A money maker for the cult of kyuss and a possible assassins tool?RANDOM THOUGHTS Crawling Claws are also mentioned in Menace Manual page 25

Suppose the sons of kyuss turned a tick into a zombie and dropped it into a sleeping persons ear with orders to just keep digging.A living tick is difficult to dislodge from your ear canal,a zombie tick would be an ugly way to die,this would be a necromantic terror tactic.

I really like this general idea. Do you have the adventure path from paizo? You could probably convert a lot of it to modern with some interesting results.

The virus subplot and the woman haters subplots look very cool. I really encourage you to develop this. I have to admit that undead in modern settings is something that always fascinates me.
THE GRAVEDIGGER,WORST EX-BOYFREIND OF THE YEAR.-The Pcs are hired to protect the female lead singer of an all girl goth band.The Pcs are told that an Ex with ties to something called the "Sons of Kyuss" has been stalking them and sending them weird gifts thru the mail.
DIGITUS IMPUDENS
The Gravedigger begins sending Crawling Claws thru the mail or dropping them in the girls tour bus.These disembodied hands move fairly well,can jump 10Ft and deliver a powerful pinch but shouldn"t be too much of a challenge to the PCs.They should roll over on their backs and flip PCs off(hence the Digitus Impudens.).They should also have a white cloth napkin wrapped around one finger with a note written in the Gravediggers blood describing what he'd like to do to the girls once they're dead.Repeat this a few times.CLUE;if the PCs get fingerprints off the Crawling Claws they can be traced back to bodies processed at the same funeral home ?...also found pn menace manual page 25
ZOMBIE BULL
The Gravedigger has anmated and plans to control a zombie bull as an assassins tool.
ONYX CONTROL
By placing this magic stone into a zombies mouth allows a necromancer to control the zombie from a mile away.
camera phone
By duct-taping a camera phone to the Zombie bulls head the Gravedigger hope to view the attacks
Using the magic of the stone and the technology of the camera phone the Grave digger is going to drive to near the tour bus and then send in the bull.Try to make the Zombie bull entrance as exciting as possible,rip thru a chainlink fence,slam into the tour bus and rock it,toss a few civilians up into the air etc.The camera phone is actually registered to the Gravedigger under his real name!The confrontation with the Grave digger at his funeral home should be somewhat anticlimatic?Maybe a few human Zombies with the Gravedigger shouting out KYUSS UBER ALLE!

That's a cool plotline, very modern but potentially very good.

A couple of thoughts:
1. In Stephen King's "Pet Cemetary" there is a tale of a risen bull called Hanratty. (WHY someone would lug a BULL up a hill to a remote forbidden rumored supernatural cemetary is beyond me--I mean...why even bother?) The animals that are risen if you haven't read the novel have a 'wrongness' about them, and a kind of taint. It is as though they rise with a hatred for the living in them.

2. The crawling hand trick can be very effective, it can oddly be one of the creepiest kinds of things to encounter.

I would myself maybe start out with this one, the goth/gravedigger one. It sounds at first like a one shot. Basically you have a member of a cult with newfound powers with a chip on his shoulder. I would if I were doing it include the obsession some goths have with BEING undead. I like this myself because pcs will probably think 'vampire' when they think goth. However having it tied in with the ghoulish stuff you present would be a surprise.

Then perhaps there is another seemingly isolated incident--the UN one. This provides a tie-in--and it is disturbingly involving something more 'respectable' and mainstream. Discovering the actions of a copycat, the pcs realize it IS him. What the hell?

I think the zombies SHOULD be infectious, and that the cult if found out should activate their bomb to cover their tracks and distract their opponents.
FRANKENHOOKER-There used to be a "B"movie called frankenhooker.A mad scientist loses his girlfriend and goes on a rampage killing prostitutes and making a new girlfriend from the spare parts.This would be a very simplistic adventure based around 6 murders for spare parts followed by a monsters rampage when the girlfriend sees her new body.Could the girlfriends brain be a brain in the jar horror before it gets transplanted into the flesh golem?

Now how about a different adventure path. 1) A yacht carrying a mobile lab of the Sons of Kyus is studying infectious Ghoulism. 2) A group of modern day pirates launch an attack. 3) The pirates release the ghouls and manage to kill all of them but one who escapes overboard. 4) The ghoul who escaped eventually climbs up the anchor chain of a cruise ship. And starts to scratch and convert the passengers. 5) The pirates who were scratched convert into ghouls and spread it thru their village. Eventually a small fleet begins to attack other islands. 6)eventually this leads to a Prates of the carribean -style adventure? One located on a cruise ship and then an island-hopping campaign?

SOME SAMPLE DIALOG AND SLOGANS FOR THE SONS OF KYUSS...PREPARE TO DIE(slowly.painfully,horribly,etc)...LIFE IS SHORT...THE DARK IS RISING...PREPARE FOR THE HARVEST...YOU'RE STANDING AT THE MOUTH OF HELL....YOUR GRAVE HAS GONE EMPTY LONG ENOUGH...THE SLEEPER SHALL AWAKEN...THAT WHICH SLEEPS SHALL SOON AWAKEN FROM IT'S LONG SLUMBER...GIVE BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD...GIVE YOUR DEATH TO THE DEATH GOD...I REGRET THAT I CAN ONLY KILL YOU ONCE...THERE'S A KILLER ON THE LOOSE(ME!)....YOU CAN'T STOP US(me)...BLOOD SHALL FLOW LIKE WINE....DEATH IS THE FINAL VICTOR....I FEEL THE NEED,THE NEED TO SEE YOU BLEED...YOU ARE NOT MY EQUAL....I'M GOING TO MAKE THIS INTERESTING,I'LL FIGHT YOU LEFT-HANDED(HE IS A LEFTY)....WHAT NAME SHALL I CARVE ON YOUR HEADSTONE(TOMBSTONE)...EVERYBODY DIES,EVERYBODY!....YOU'VE COME A LONG WAT JUST TO DIE....YOUR DEATH HAS BEEN FORETOLD....DEATH IS A DOOR ALL MEN MUST STEP THROUGH....HELL AWAITS THY COMING....MY GOD SHALL CHEW ON YOUR SOUL LIKE A DOG CHEWS UPON A BONE....I SHALL DRINK YOUR HEART'S BLOOD....I SHALL MAKE YOUR SKULL INTO A DRINKING CUP....I'LL GRIND YOUR BONES TO MAKE MY BREAD(FI FIGH FO FUM)....THE END IS NIGH....I SHALL BATHE IN YOUR BLOOD....YOU'VE SEEN YOUR LAST SUNRISE/SUNSET.....MY KNIFE IS DRY,AND YOUR BLOOD IS SO WET.....YOUR SCREAMS ARE LIKE MUSIC TO MY EARS,YOUR FEAR IS MY FAVORITE PERFUME....I DESERVE A BETTER FOE THAN THOU...TIME FOR YOU TO (BLEED,SUFFER,DIE,ETC.)...I'VE KILLED BETTER MEN THAN YOU....THE SONS OF KYUS ARE AMONGST YOU.....YOU MUST DIE SO THAT I MAY LIVE....I WAS BORN TO FIGHT THE FORCES OF GOOD....YOU'RE ALMOST TO PRETTY TO KILL,ALMOST....I LAUGH AT YOUR FEEBLE ATTEMPTS....DEATH IS THE ANSWER TO ALL YOUR PROBLEMS...IS IT WRONG OF ME TO WANT YOU DEAD?.....YOU'LL MAKE A GOOD CORPSE...I WISH YOU WELL IN YOUR NEXT LIFE...DEATH TO ALL HEROS...RUN AND YOU DIE,STAND AND YOU DIE,NOT MUCH OF A CHOICE,IS IT?....RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.....MY HEART BURNS WITHIN ME AND ONLY YOUR BLOOD CAN PUT OUT THE FIRE...EVERYWHERE I LOOK I SEE VICTIMS....HELLO,VICTIM!....YOU NEED A LESSON IN MANNERS...DEATH IS GOING TO LOOK GOOD ON YOU....I KILL TO LIVE AND LIVE TO KILL....I LOVE TO KILL....YOU'RE TOO UGLY TO LIVE...BURN IN HELL....THE WORLD SHALL BE A GRAVEYARD AND I SHALL BE LORD OF THE DEAD...YOUR DEATH WILL BRING ME LITTLE JOY,BUT I'LL TAKE WHAT JOY I CAN....THERE ARE BETTER WORLDS THAN THIS ONE....I'D RATHER RULE IN MY HELL THAN SERVE IN YOUR HEAVEN....DID SOMEONE ORDER A KILLING SPREE?...The thing to remember about the Son's of Kyuss is that they are the sort of necromantic nerds who fantasize about saying this kind of crap to their real or imaginary enemies. Sort of like the archnemisi who faced Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

HALF VAMPIRE TEMPLATE-Now Libris Mortis featured a Half-vampire template on page 108. suppose the Sons of Kyuss were experimenting with Vampirism and accidentally created a Daywalker like Blade the Vampire slayer? This person would probably despise the Sons of Kyuss for messing around with his mom and ruining his life. This could make a good solo campaign with adventures drawn from the Blade comics and TV series?

WEIRD KYUSS PLOT-DEATH RIDES A PALE HORSE. Suppose one of the sons of Kyuss used necromancy to create the animated skeleton of a horse. If he bought flak armor and painted a skeleton on it and had a helmet with a skull motif he would have a super-villain persona. Carry around a scythe and attack people who have wronged him,girls who rebuffed him? Could have an off-white van with a space for the horse to collapse into? A skeleton takes up little space when collapsed. Police might target the horse rather than the rider,tough for police to bring down if their looking for a disappearing special effect.

MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH-Now in the days of feudalism nobles used to withdraw into castles and bar the doors in order to quarantine themselves against epidemic. Suppose there was an outbreak of infectious ghoulism and all the rich people retreated into a house that was a modern day castle? The disease could be brought into the impregnable castle by a thoughtless person. Does this adventure start with the PCs being in the castle or hired to go in and retrieve a rich heir? Re-read Edgar Alllen Poe's Masque of the Red Death for inspiration?

IT'S ALL IN THE BLOOD........in the Charlene Harris novels an artificial blood sustituite called trueblood is invented and can nourish vampires. Trueblood is unsatisfying as a drink for vampires even when served at room temperature. Now older vampires who were created before refrigerators and modern foodstuffs would look askance at True blood and variants but "new" vampires might experiment some.
Fangtasia Sherbet
If you freeze Trueblood into a block of ice you could use an ice scraper on it like they use at italian festivals to make italian ices. If you dry the trueblood and force it thru a strainer you could make sprinkles to put on the ices.
BLOODGUM
Bubblegum is made from rubber,peptides and flavorings. You could add a Trueblood center to bubble gum that some vampires would enjoy,fangs a potential problem?

PAGING DR CYCLOPS. This would be a son of kyuss who's an optometrist. His office is his lair .
I'VE GOT MY EYE ON YOU
Dr. Cyclops has invented a magic jar that allows him to re-animate human eyeballs. He puts in 20-100 eyeballs and lets the jar energize them. He then places the eyes like web-cams while leaving one in the preparation jar. When he wants spy on people he takes the "Seeing Eye" out and puts it into his empty eye socket. This has allowed him to accumalate blackmail information.
CREEPY OFFICE
He has jars of eyeballs and tells patients they're movie props. Has an actual human skeleton he bought from the same Indian medical supply house where he gets his eyes. Has a frog with dozens of eyes in a jar
Do the players get hooked in when human eyeballs show up? Does a rich client need help with Blackmail? Are the Pcs investigating organ-legging from India.

In 2ED there was a type of monster called Pseudo Undead.. These were humans who had lived near or with undead that they began to look like them. A pseudo undead vampire would be a sort of vampire groupie. Dark hair,pale skin,fangs,allergic to sunlight? Could goth groups take this to an extreme and get surgery and breed themselves? Some thoughts.

I was watching Mel Brook's Young Frankenstein today. Suppose a group of the Sons of Kyuss decided to create a Flesh Golem. In trditional D+D this would require seven donors. 1) Right arm. 2) Left arm. 3) Right leg. 4) Left leg. 5)Torso. 6) head. 7) Brain, preferably a genius. Now suppose they used all jocks or WWF wrestlers for body parts and one of their own brains? The multiple harvestings would give the Pcs plenty of chances to intervene.

Now in D+D we have Undead Grafts. Undead Grafts are usually a limb replacement. Suppose someone came up with a way of grafting undead internal organs. My kidneys are down to 5% ,I need 12 hrs of dialysis a week or my body poisons me to death. If the sons of kyuss invented undead organs they could charge more than an arm and a leg and I'd want to buy. What effect would an undead heart have,would it make you all dead inside,like a politician? Plots could involve organ- legging,harvesting living or dead people for replace ment organs. If the organs wear out after2-5 years the SOK would have repeat business? A kidney transplant now only lasts 2-5 years. Repo men could take your organs if you don't pay?  How about a song; ALL OF ME....WHY NOT TAKE ALL OF ME.....OH,WHY NOT TAKE THE PART..THAT ONCE I CALLED MY HEART.....OH,WHY NOT TAKE ALL OF MEEEEE!

I had some thoughts on how many undead you could create from one person.
Ghost
kill or seperate a ghost from the body. Would it be useful if the ghost remained connected to the zombie? Suppose the Ghost could learn to control the Zombie? Would a ghost care about his loved ones and try to contact them using the zombie? Could a ghost use the zombie to work in a factory and support his family? Could a ghost speak thru a zombie and go on Tv,talk about how death sucks? Would a long silver tether connect the ghost to the zombie like astral travel? Would it be a crime to damage or destroy the zombie or sever the tether connecting the ghost?
Zombie
After killing the person you could raise a zombie. Nothing special really unless you use Awaken Dead? Awaken Dead puts an echo of the necromancers personality into the undead. With training this might give you a halfway decent lab assistant.
Crawling Claw
Remove the corpse's left hand and its the basis for an animated hand. This could also be Awakened? Awakening the claw would in theory grant speech, would a pair of thick ,red lips appear between the thumb and forefinger,it might humourus for a Dm to make a hand puppet on his hands?
Skin
There's a monster that forms from an undead creature and takes over new victims.

I was watching the Edgar Winter Group do Frankenstein on Musicvideo.com. It 's a 9 minute classic that makes me want to go out and harvest a few parts for the hell of it.

Now a lot of the theme music for the Exorcist was drawn from Mike Oldfields Tubular Bells. musicvideo.com has a clip of Linda Blair doing a freakout to the Sentinel section of Mike's opus.

Odd zombie thoughts. In order to have different zombies to spice up the game.
fast zombies
Zombies who run all out because their dead and don't get tired. A +10 to movement rate?
screaming zombie
Suppose zombies weren't quiet , suppose they started screaming like mad while heading for the players? You could get a pre-recorded scream like from Jamie Curtis , put it on a small device and surprise the players by unexpectedly playing it? Screams attract other zombies and monsters.
Sneeze zombies
Suppose zombies could sneeze on you,if you die you come back as a zombie. Sneezer zombies have faces covered with disgusting amounts of muscus.

Goths like to pretend they're vampires. There was a movie this summer about a girl who was dating a zombie and learned how to shuffle along beside him. If there was a zombie apocalypse and goths began shuffling around like zombies. Would it still be murder to kill one of these fools?

Goths like to pretend they're vampires. There was a movie this summer about a girl who was dating a zombie and learned how to shuffle along beside him. If there was a zombie apocalypse and goths began shuffling around like zombies. Would it still be murder to kill one of these fools?

That's a good question.. but would it be really a good way to hide amongst them? Or would the walking dead way of hanging chunks of zombies on your person so you smell like them, help keep them from you?
According to Libris Mortis all undead have" Life-sense" which draws them towards the living. still I liked the Walking Dead idea of camoflaging yourself with gore as well.

According to Libris Mortis all undead have" Life-sense" which draws them towards the living. still I liked the Walking Dead idea of camoflaging yourself with gore as well.

Maybe have it grant a bonus to hide or forces the zombies to make a spot or wisdom check to identify the camouflaged character?
BONES McCOY---Imagine you got some losers to commit suicide. You disect their bodies and leave the skeletons intact. Animate the skeletons and use Awaken Undead to give them normal human intelligence. 1 in 18 will test high enough to qualify for medical training? Without any need to sleep, eat or drink could become a skilled surgeon in 16 years? If protected could within two hundred years be an incredible surgeon, best the world has ever seen, better than a robot,yes or no,depends on tech advances. Still ,Bones could travel places better than a robot.