Half Life D20: Welcome to City 17

217 posts / 0 new
Last post
I know this has been started in some long since dead threads on this board but here recently I've been trying to work on a D20 Modern game set to the universe of Half Life 2 and Half Life 2 Episode 1. All I've got is a basic campaign hook and was wondering if anyone would be willing to help or contribute. HL2's a pretty good premise for a campaign, the PCs could join the resistance or some such and help to overthrow the Combine Regime. So here you go-

You start to step off of the train with your lone suitcase that has everything you have left in it and are greeted with several large video monitors on the walls with the face you've seen one too many times since the Combine took the planet- Dr. Breen, the interim leader of humanity since he helped negotiate the surrender. Automatically he starts on the speech you've heard 100s of times before at all the different cities they've forced you to relocate to, with slight variations.
"Welcome, welcome to City 17, you have chosen or been chosen to relocate to one of our finest remaining urban centers. I thought so much of City 17 that I elected to establish my administration here, in the Citadel so thoughtfully provided by our benefactors. I have been proud to call City 17 my home. So whether you are here to stay, or passing through on your way to parts unknown, welcome to City 17. It's safer here." The grey haired man grins, located in some pier of luxury you know you'll never know.
It only takes a second before a Civil Protection officer knocks the suitcase from your hands and chuckles about it behind the white, skull like gasmask they all wear- he's a collaborator that traded in his humanity for better rations, better living conditions, something that made him decide to work with the things helping to bring the species to extinction... The thought of what twisted form lies behind that mask makes you shudder. You know he doesn't have to have a reason to arrest or kill you so you walk off and hope he doesn't try to provoke you further.
I just got done with Half-Life 2, and I've totally been sucked into it-- the setting and everything about it.

I was responsible for the beginning (and about 65% of the material) of the Halo d20 project, so I know a thing or two about successful video game-d20 conversions and how to do them. :D
I may not have as much free time as I had back when I made Halo d20, but I was thinking about a Half-Life d20 setting too. The problem is, I haven't played the original Half-Life, and I'm still quite new to the series. That said, I think I could do at least a decent job converting content from Half-Life 2 into d20. Except the Gravity Gun-- that thing looks like a nightmare for d20 conversion.

If I can get around to them, I'll post my material here for you and everyone else.

-C'SA
Bring Back Merfolk!!!
Cool.
Here's my (probably very broken) input for the Grav Gun.

Zero Point Energy Gun
“Grav Gun”
Designed by Dr. Eli Vance for usage as a heavy lifting device, the Zero Point Energy Gun, or the “Grav Gun” as it has been nicknamed, allows the user to lift and project objects that he or she could not otherwise. The Grav Gun can not be used to directly lift living objects or objects larger than gargantuan providing they aren’t of low density materials- for instance you could lift a colossal piece of plywood but not a vehicle. However the gun can emit a concentrated burst of energy that can be used to help push any number of objects providing they’re not anchored down by something.

Securing an object in thirty feet of the gun takes a move action. The gun can pull objects from as far away as 100 feet , anything farther than 30 taking a full round action to reach the weapon. Most objects fired from the gravity gun are most effective inside of 30 feet.
Those without the Gravity Gun Proficiency Feat take a -4 on attack rolls made with the weapon

(I don't know how to make a table)
Critical Damage Type Range Increment Size Purchase DC Restic.
20 Bashing/piercing/slashing 30 ft. Large 26 Lic +1
(Depends on object)

Lifted and Launched
Object Size Damage
Dim, Tiny 1d2
Small 2d4
Medium 2d8
Large 2d10
Huge> 2d12

Pushed
Huge 1d8
Gargantuan 1d10
Colossal 1d12

Gravity Gun Proficiency Feat
You are proficient with the usage of the Zero Point Energy Gun.
Benefit: You can use the Grav Gun without the usual -4 penalty to attack rolls.
Normal: Characters without this feat take a -4 penalty to attack rolls made with the Grav Gun, although they can lift objects without penalty.
On one of the old threads, there were several good ideas that stuck with me, and one of them is using falling item damage for the gravity gun's launch attack. I've only begun work on one thing, that being headcrabs (all three from HL2), and I'm still brainstorming how to stat those out while keeping them true to their video game equivalent, yet making them a credible creature in d20. I'll post it when I finish the beta.

-C'SA
Bring Back Merfolk!!!
I basicly imagined it as a badassimified tool to using improvised weapons. I'll have to check out the threads later.
I basicly imagined it as a badassimified tool to using improvised weapons. I'll have to check out the threads later.

Yeah, something along those lines. After I make mine I'll post it so we can compare.

I'm coming along with the headcrabs, but I don't know what size the standard headcrab should be... I'm thinking Small, seeing as its body is the size of a watermelon, and when you factor in the legs/claws that makes it a little over 2' long, thus making it Small. What do you think?

-C'SA
Bring Back Merfolk!!!
Well I'm going to be gone from tomorrow for a week so i won't be on here until after.Looking forward to seeing it.
Well I'm going to be gone from tomorrow for a week so i won't be on here until after.Looking forward to seeing it.

Alrighty then. Guess I'll be taking care of the thread 'till you return. :whatsthis

-C'SA
Bring Back Merfolk!!!
Heya all. I'm planning on mapping out as much of City 17 as I can, in as much detail as I can. When I get done with it, I'll let you guys know.
Well, even though they're not completed, I promised I'd post the headcrabs in about a week, so here is the beta headcrab.

Headcrab species traits
Blindsight: Despite appearing to lack sensory organs, headcrabs can ascertain creatures within 30 ft.
Bonus Feats: A headcrab gains the bonus feat Weapon Finesse (bite) and Weapon Finesse (claw).
Charge: If a headcrab charges a foe, it can make a full attack.
Control Host: If a headcrab can establish a grapple on a foe (see its improved grab ability), then it can begin to establish control over its new host. The headcrab attachs itself over the head of its victim, and using its two beak-like fang protrusions above its maw, penetrates the victim's skull and infiltrates the central nervous system. The headcrab then begins to engorge itself onto the victim's head, engulfing almost the entire of a victim's head in the headcrab's mouth.
This process unfolds over the course of 10 rounds. Unless the process is interrupted by removing or killing the headcrab, after the 10th round the victim's Strength falls to 0 (suffering the consequences of such loss).
Over the course of 1d4 hours, the headcrab establishes control over the victim's central nervous system. After that, the victim aquires one of the headcrab zombie templates, depending on which variety or circumstances of the infestation.
This attack cannot be used if the target is wearing a functioning helmet or some other armor.
Improved Grab: To use this ability, a headcrab must hit with its full attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can begin its control host ability.
Immunities: Headcrabs are immune to all poisons and diseases, except for those specifically designed to target headcrabs. In addition, headcrabs are quite tolerable to radiation and toxic wastes, and as such are immune to those hazards' effects.

Standard Headcrab: CR:; Small Aberration; HD: 1d8+1; HP: 5; Mas 12; Init: +2; Speed: 20 ft., Burrow 5 ft.; Defense: 13, touch 13, flat-footed 11 (+1 size, +2 Dex); BAB: +0; Grap: +5; Atk: +4 melee (1d4 2 claws) or +3 melee (1d3 bite); Full Atk: +3 melee (1d4 2 claws) and +1 melee (1d3 bite); FS: 5 ft. by 5 ft.; Reach: 5 ft.; SQ: Headcrab traits; AL: none; SV: Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +2; AP: 0; Rep: 0; Str 11, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 1, Wis 11, Cha 8
Skills: Climb +3, Hide +5, Jump +8
Feats: Weapon Finesse (bite), Weapon Finesse (claw)
Advancement: None

Some of my calculations may be off (and I don't know how to calculate Challenge Ratings, I've been out of the d20 loop for so damned long), so just remember that this is the beta. I have no flavor text or anything, and I'm working on the fast headcrab and poison headcrab. I haven't begun on the zombies. If someone wants to do them, feel free.

Any thoughts?

-C'SA
Bring Back Merfolk!!!
Looks pretty good. When I get ahold of my friend's d20 modern books, I'll probably start on a Post-human template.
Looks pretty good to me, except for one beef:

Episode One pretty clearly shows us that headcrabs can bite through helmets. Otherwise there wouldn't be any of those friendly Zombines.
The time taken to turn them into Zombine would probably double.
Here's my try at a headcrab zombie, give me any critiques you can find. I'll try to whip out some weapons and maybe characters later.

Headcrab Zombies
When a headcrab successfully attaches to a host, the host becomes a "headcrab zombie", or "necrotic" as they are called by the Combine Overwatch. The headcrab's alien physiology causes various "mutations" to rapidly manifest in its host, such as elongated claws, increased strength, and a sharp-toothed, sideways mouth that bisects the victim's chest cavity from neck to groin. This giant mouth has inspired the nickname "Mawmen". Upon further investigation, however, one finds that the “mouth” is in fact no such thing. The “teeth” appear to be protruding ribs: a ripped open chest cavity and no sternum. Zombies do not appear to retain any of their former intelligence, blindly pursuing their prey, oblivious to danger. A small number of headcrab zombies also survive despite losing both legs and its lower torso, crawling and moving using their arms.
In most cases, a headcrab remains attached to its host until destroyed, although they have the ability to detach from the host if it is damaged significantly. Removal of the headcrab reveals that the host's face and head has been eaten away by the creature; the degree of such damage on these areas depends on the type of headcrab in control.
Template Traits

“Headcrab Zombie” is an acquired template that can be added to any humanoid unfortunate enough to come under the control of a Headcrab (Referred to hereafter as the base creature). It uses all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Challenge Rating:
As base creature +1
Type: The creature’s type changes to undead.
Hit Dice: Change to d12. Headcrab zombies have no Constitution score.
Attacks: The headcrab zombie gains a claw attack based on the creature’s size.
Special Qualities: The headcrab zombie keeps all the special qualities of the base creature, and gains the abilities described below.
Scent (Ex): Headcrab Zombies all have the scent ability (see page 228 of the d20 Modern Roleplaying Game)
Saves: As the base creature, modified by altered ability scores (See below)
Action Points: Headcrab Zombies do not acquire or amass action points. It loses any action points possessed by the base creature.
Abilities: Apply the following modifiers to the base creature’s ability scores: Str +4, Dex –2, Int –2, Wis –2, Cha –4. No penalty can reduce an ability score below 3. Headcrab Zombies have no Constitution score.
Skills: The Headcrab Zombie loses all skills.
Feats: The Headcrab Zombie loses all the base creature’s feats and gains the Toughness feat.
Advancement: None.

Sample Headcrab Zombie
The following Headcrab Zombie is based on a human.

Human Headcrab Zombie: CR 1; Medium-size undead; HD 1d12+3; HP 9; Init –2; Spd 20ft; Defense 10; Touch 8; Flat-footed 10 (-2 Dex, +2 Natural), BAB +0, Grapple +1; Atk +1 Melee (1d6+2, Claw), Atk +0 Ranged (1d6, thrown object); Full Attack +1 Melee (1d6+2, two claws); FS 5 ft. by 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.; SQ scent, undead; SV Fort +0, Ref –2, Will +3; AP 0, Str 14, Dex 11, Con -, Int 9, Wis 8, Cha 6.
Skills: None
Feats: Toughness.
Possessions: Tattered clothes.
The int should be reduced to one or two. Zombies have never shown themselves to be praticularly bright, aside from simple tactics such as playing dead. They walk right into obvious traps, will walk into fire to get to a target, and zombines will activate a grenade, and try to use it as a club.
Human Headcrab Zombie: CR 1; Medium-size undead; HD 1d12+3; HP 9; Init –2; Spd 20ft; Defense 10; Touch 8; Flat-footed 10 (-2 Dex, +2 Natural), BAB +0, Grapple +1; Atk +1 Melee (1d6+2, Claw), Atk +0 Ranged (1d6, thrown object); Full Attack +1 Melee (1d6+2, two claws); FS 5 ft. by 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.; SQ scent, undead; SV Fort +0, Ref –2, Will +3; AP 0, Str 14, Dex 11, Con -, Int 9, Wis 8, Cha 6.
Possessions: Tattered clothes.

Where does that +2 natural defense bonus come from? Humans don't have it, and it isn't listed anywhere above.

And I agree with Falkus: Zombies are stupid. And since they're obvlivious to danger I'm tempted to say only one for intelligence. Three is a smart animal. And most animals I know will avoid obvious danger.

Other than that it's all cool.
Where does that +2 natural defense bonus come from? Humans don't have it, and it isn't listed anywhere above.

And I agree with Falkus: Zombies are stupid. And since they're obvlivious to danger I'm tempted to say only one for intelligence. Three is a smart animal. And most animals I know will avoid obvious danger.

Other than that it's all cool.

I suppose I just tossed it in, something like natural armor. After all, being zombies, they can take a few more shots than the average person can without going down.

You're right about the INT bonus though, it should be one or two.
So I've been spending some time with this, and I've got a good amount of stuff. Here are some excerpts: The beginning of the Combine chapter, as well as three enemies. They're based off the Police Officer archetype, but they're modified and have new equipment. I'll post more stuff later, once again please give me any comments or critiques you can think of.

Keep in mind the enemies have been designed with avoidance in mind, so they'll probably be pretty tough for a low-level group. The whole idea is that any prospective rebels would be trying to run away from the Combine in the beginning, playing a game of cat and mouse until they're strong enough to put up a fight on their own.

IMAGE(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0e/Combinesymbol.JPG)

THE COMBINE

A vast empire spanning multiple dimensions, the Combine expands its empire by invading worlds and enslaving the dominant species to be exploited as it sees fit. By manipulating these inhabitants through methods including bioengineering and implantation, the Combine creates a race of super-soldiers uniquely adapted for the environment of that particular world. This process results in a highly mobile and adaptive military force which is able to respond to any threat and crush any opposition. The Combine is also known by their official name, the Universal Union, and commonly referred to as Our Benefactors by Dr. Breen, the Combine-appointed Earth Administrator.

During the Black Mesa Resonance Cascade, Dr. Gordon Freeman, a theoretical physicist working at Black Mesa, launched a satellite into orbit in an attempt to reverse the effects of the Resonance Cascade. Unfortunately, however, the launching of this satellite caused Portal Storms to occur all over the planet, ripping open dimensional tears and allowing the inhabitants of Xen to pour through. The Combine took advantage of these Portal Storms as well, using them to launch a massive invasion of Earth that lasted only seven hours. Earth’s military forces were unable to stand up against the power of the Combine Empire, and were swiftly defeated. Former administrator of the Black Mesa Research Facility, Dr. Wallace Breen, negotiated a surrender on Earth's behalf and was therefore appointed the administrator of the Combine's forces on Earth - the Overwatch.

The Combine rules Earth from giant towers known as Citadels, the most important being in City 17 where Dr. Breen runs his administration. The reasons behind the Combine's desire to control the Earth are unknown, other than the absorption of Earth's resources, the use of human teleporter technology and the enslavement and exploitation of its dominant species - the humans - for either menial work or (more likely) military service.

The Combine, since gaining dominance on Earth, has imposed something known as a suppression field. The suppression field's main effect is to bring the human birth rate down to zero by prohibiting certain protein chains important to embryonic development from forming, effectively ensuring that the humans currently alive will be the last generation.

COMBINE FORCES

CIVIL PROTECTION
Civil Protection, referred to in brief as CPs, and also commonly known as Metro Cops, police inner-city areas and keep citizens in line through the use of intimidation and physical force - ranging from random beatings, questioning and "inspections," to outright murder. They also patrol the canals outside of the city for escapees. Civil Protection appear to be nothing more than humans that willingly join the Combine for more privileges and better living standards, such as adequate food. Unlike Overwatch soldiers, they do not appear to be modified or enhanced in any way, although they wear respirators that lower the pitch of their voices.

IMAGE(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b6/HL2Combinepolice.jpg/318px-HL2Combinepolice.jpg)

Civil Protection Officer (Strong Ordinary 1/Dedicated Ordinary 1): CR 1; Medium-size Human; HD 1d8+1 plus 1d6+1; hp 10; Mas 13; Init +1; Spd 25 ft.; Defense 17, touch 13, flat-footed 16 (+1 Dex, +2 class, +4 CP Vest); BAB +1; Crap +3; Atk +3 melee (1d3+2 nonlethal, stun baton. DC15 Fort save vs. Stun for 1d4 rounds) or +2 ranged (2d6, HK USP) or +2 ranged (2d6, HK MP7); FS 5 ft. by 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.; SV Fort +3, Ref +1, Will +3; AP 0; Rep +1; Str 15, Dex 12, Con 13, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 8
Skills: Climb +2, Drive +3, Intimidate +4, Investigate +2, Knowledge (tactics) +2, Sense Motive +4, Spot +4, Treat Injury +4
Feats: Armor Proficiency (light, medium), Personal Firearms Proficiency, Simple Weapons Proficiency.
Possessions: Civil Protection Vest, HK USP, 50 rounds, stun baton
Civil Protection can also be outfitted with a HK MP7 or Franchi Spas-12 in place of their HK USP. Additionally, higher-ranking Civil Protection units are equipped with one Manhack apiece.

SOLDIER

Overwatch soldiers, also known as Combine soldiers, are intelligent infantrymen that work well in a team and use a variety of attack methods. While Civil Protection has jurisdiction over the relatively minor affairs of policing the city, Overwatch soldiers can be found everywhere, and form the backbone of the Combine military occupation force. In this role, they are also the most versatile units the Combine have at hand.
Combine soldiers will commonly travel using dropships or APCs. They are typically armed with either an H&K MP7 sub-machine gun, Franchi SPAS-12 shotgun, or an Overwatch Standard Issue Pulse Rifle, and usually carry a supply of grenades. Certain soldiers will use Overwatch sniper rifles, although they are less common (see below). Combine soldiers also serve as the pilots and gunners of the Combine's hunter-choppers.
Combine soldiers are initially found mostly in the coastal wasteland outside the city, patrolling the highways for resistance activity and staffing Combine outposts. They can, however, be found anywhere the Combine requires direct military action, as soldiers can be transported from the Citadel to a desired area via dropships. Overwatch soldiers are also tasked with guarding very high-security areas, monitoring stalkers in the Citadel and serving as staff in Nova Prospekt.
Nova Prospekt's prison guards wear special blue-and-yellow uniforms with the words "Nova Prospekt" on the back, but are otherwise identical to their grey-and-white counterparts. Also, standard soldiers have blue goggles, while their Nova Prospekt counterparts have yellow ones. The prison guards are not present anywhere else except in Nova Prospekt.
Combine soldiers are confirmed to be humans that have undergone extensive modifications including, but not limited to, brain surgery, chest surgery and implantation of various mechanical devices in the throat and around the abdomen, and are likely to have their memories replaced. This procedure is carried out at Nova Prospekt and the Citadel.

IMAGE(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e3/HL2Combinesoldier.jpg/355px-HL2Combinesoldier.jpg)

Combine Soldier (Strong Ordinary 3/Dedicated Ordinary 3): CR 5; Medium-size trans-human: HD 3d8+6 plus 3d6+6; hp 34; Mas 14; Init +1; Spd 25 ft.; Defense 21, touch 15, flat-footed 20 (+1 Dex, +4 class, +6 Combine Armor); BAB +5; Grap +7; Atk +7 melee (1d6+2, rifle butt) or +6 ranged (2d6, HK MP7); FS 5 ft. by 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.; SV Fort +6, Ref +3, Will +5; AP 0; Rep +1; Str 15, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 8
Skills: Climb –1, Drive +7, Intimidate +6, Knowledge (Tactics) +3, Sense Motive +5, Spot +5, Treat Injury +6
Feats: Armor Proficiency (light, medium), Personal Firearms Proficiency, Point Blank Shot, Simple Weapons Proficiency, Rapid Shot
Possessions: Combine Armor, HK MP7, grenades
Combine Soldiers may also carry a Franchi Spas-12 shotgun or a Combine AR2 Assault Rifle in place of their HK MP7.

COMBINE ELITE

Sporting a distinctive white uniform with a single red ocular lens, the Elites are the deadliest of the Combine Overwatch infantry, and are theorised to be altered even further than standard soldiers. They use similar combat tactics as regular Combine soldiers, save for a few improvements.
The Elite soldiers are tougher, have better accuracy with weapons, and inflict more overall damage than regular Soldiers do. They are always armed with an Overwatch AR2 Pulse Rifle, and are the only units who seem to have access to the weapon's secondary-fire energy orb. They use this advantage without hesitation and with deadly accuracy.
Elites typically fight in squads of their own kind, but will occasionally lead squads of regular soldiers. Elites are fewer in number than regular soldiers, and are thus reserved for the more critical combat missions, where deadly tactics are required. They also serve as Doctor Breen's personal guards.

IMAGE(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/c3/HL2Combineelite.jpg/480px-HL2Combineelite.jpg)

Combine Elite (Strong Ordinary 5/Dedicated Ordinary 5): CR 9; Medium-size trans-human; HD 5d8+10 plus 5d6+10; hp 60; Mas 14; Init +1; Spd 20ft.; Defense 24, touch 17, flat-footed 24 (+1 Dex, +6 class, +7 Combine Elite Armor); BAB +8, Grap +11; Atk +11 melee (1d6+3, rifle butt); Full Atk +11/+6 melee (1d6+3, rifle butt) or +10/+5 ranged (2d8, AR2); FS 5 ft. by 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.; SV Fort +8, Ref +3, Will +6; AP 0; Rep +3; Str 16, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 8.
Skills: Intimidate +8, Investigate +8, Knowledge (Tactics) +8, Sense Motive +7, Spot +8, Listen +8, Treat Injury +6
Feats: Armor Proficiency (light, medium, heavy), Personal Firearms Proficiency, Point Blank Shot, Simple Weapons Proficiency, Rapid Shot
Possessions: Combine Elite Armor, Combine AR2 Pulse Rifle
Note: Combine Elites are able to use the secondary fire on their AR2 rifles. See the AR2 Rifle entry in the Equipment section for details.

----

There's quite a bit more to be had, but I need to tweak and get it semi-right before I toss it out there for further suggestions. Lots of pictures, maps, and diagrams to be had! Whee!
Cool write-ups, my man.

Could you imput the guns?
I'll post the guns soon, they still need a bit of tweaking.

In the meantime...

ANTLIONS

Antlions live in underground colonies, typically situated in sandy areas such as beaches. They usually hide under the sand, waiting for anything unlucky to cross its path and then quickly surface and tear it apart. Antlions sense a victim's presence via vibrations transmitted through loose soil or sand. This makes it possible to safely venture through antlion territories by walking solely over foreign items placed on the sand, or by walking across rocks. If a swarm of them are disturbed, temporary refuge may be sought in water, since Antlions cannot swim and quickly drown when they come into contact with it. It is also possible to flip the antlions over with a sufficient explosive blast, allowing for a quick escape. Antlions also possess the ability to fly over short distances. Their aggression is not limited to humans or even to the Combine. When undisturbed by human interference, they will also attack other xenofauna such as headcrabs.

REPRODUCTION

It is not known how Antlions reproduce, but it is possible that they live in social colonies like bees or ants. This is supported by the fact that Antlions commonly work together and the presence of Myrmidonts suggest that they have some form of caste system (another possibility would be that Antlions have a form of extreme sexual dimorphism).

DEFENSE

Whilst the countryside around City 17 (and presumably the rest of the planet as well) is swarming with Antlions, cities are protected by large mechanical devices known as "thumpers". These machines repeatedly pound the ground and the vibrations they produce are strong enough to intimidate Antlions, preventing the creatures from swarming into protected areas. Large thumpers, apparently built using a mixture of Combine and human technology, appear around the perimeters of City 17 and Nova Prospekt. The Combine refer to the thumpers as "perimeter restrictors."

IMAGE(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/8b/Antlion_thumper_GScott.jpg/800px-Antlion_thumper_GScott.jpg)

BUGBAIT

Vortigaunts possess the ability to extract "aromatic pheropods" from the corpses of dead Antlion Guards. Humans do not possess this knowledge; it is a racial trait. Anyone in possession of Pheropods is able to give simple one-word orders to any Antlions in the area. See the Pheropod entry in the Equipment chapter for more details.

IMAGE(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/06/Hl2antlion.jpg/550px-Hl2antlion.jpg)

Antlion: CR 2; Large vermin; HD 4d8+4; hp 22; Mas 12; Init +3; Spd 30 ft., Tunnel 20ft..; Defense 14, touch 12, flat-footed 11 (-1 size, +3 Dex, +2 natural); BAB +3; Grap +9; Atk +4 melee (1d6+3, claw); Full Atk +4 melee (1d6+3, two claws); FS 5 ft. by 10 ft.; Reach 10 ft.; SQ blindsight, tunnel, flying charge; SV Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +1; AP 0; Rep +0; Str 15, Dex 17, Con 12, Int -, Wis 10, Cha 2.
Skills: Climb +14, Hide +5, Jump +8, Move Silently +9, Spot +12.
Feats: None
Flying Charge: While using the Charge action, antlions ignore all terrain in their way.

ANTLION GUARD

In addition to normal Antlions, there are also Antlion Guards, or Myrmidonts. Their technical name is Myrmidont giganticus. These are far larger and stronger than Antlions, and appear to have the ability to issue orders or otherwise control Antlions.

IMAGE(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/10/HL2Antlionguard.jpg/734px-HL2Antlionguard.jpg)

Antlion Guard: CR 7; Gargantuan vermin; HD 24d8+24; hp 132; Mas 12; Init +3; Spd 30ft., tunnel 20ft.; Fefense 18, touch 9, flat-footed 15 (-4 size, +3 Dex, +9 natural); BAB +18; Grap +36; Atk +20 melee (1d8+9, slam); Full Atk +20 melee (1d8+9, slam); FS 20ft by 20ft.; Reach 15 ft.; SQ blindsight, tunnel., resistance to massive damage; SV Fort +15, Ref +11, Will +9; AP 0; Rep +0; Str 23, Dex 17, Con 12, Int -, Wid 10, Cha 2
Skills: Climb +18, Hide –3, Move Silently +9, Spot +12
Feats: None
When hit by an Antlion Guard's Slam attack, the target is flung backwards a number of feet equal to the amount of damage taken. If they impact any objects or walls, they take fall damage accordingly.
IMAGE(http://www.stealthhouse.net/hl2weapons.gif)

AR2 (Combine Auto-Rifle)

Damage: 2d8
Critical: 20
Damage Type: Ballistics
Range Increment: 50 ft.
Rate Of Fire: Automatic
Magazine: 30 Capsule
Size: Medium
Weight: 12 lbs.
Purchase DC: 17
Restriction: Combine(+3)

Disintegration: Once a day, if you have 30 bullets loaded into the AR2, you may discharge a sphere of pure energy. When discharged, any living creature that touches this sphere is completely disintegrated.

MP-7

Range Increment: 65 ft.
Rate Of Fire: A
Magazine: 30 Box
Weight: 10 lbs.
Purchase DC: 14
Restriction: Licensed +1

Grenade Launcher: If a frag grenade is loaded into the MP-7, it may launch it 70 ft. and do 2d12 ballistics damage is dealt to anyone within 10 feet. Reflex Save DC 18 to do half damage.

Frag Grenade

Damage: 2d10*
Critical: --
Range Increment: 35 ft.
Rate Of Fire: Single
Magazine: --
Size: Tiny
Weight: 2 lbs.
Restriction: Restricted (+2)

*Damage Varies: When the grenade is thrown, it deals 2d10 damage to everyone within 5 feet, 2d8 to everyone within 10 feet, and 2d6 to everyone 15 feet away. Reflex Save DC 18 to deal half damage.

.357 Revolver

Damage: 4d4
Range Increment: 55 ft.
Rate Of Fire: S
Magazine: 5 Cylinder
Size: Small
Weight: 5 lbs.
Purchase DC: 15
Restriction: Licensed (+1)

Pistol

Damage: 2d6
Range Increment: 75 ft.
Rate Of Fire: S
Magazine: 18 Box
Weight: 3 lbs.
Purchase DC: 12
Restriction: Licensed

Crowbar

Damage: 1d6
Critical: 19-20
Damage Type: Piercing
Range Increment: --
Weight: 6 lbs.
Purchase DC: 7
Restriction: --

Crossbow

Damage: 2d10
Damage Type: Piercing
Range Increment: 65 ft.
Weight: 9 lbs.
Restriction: Res (+2)

Scope: The player may take a move action to use the scope. Using the scope raises the range increment to 100 ft. and disables the enemies dexterity bonus for their defense.

Rocket Launcher

Damage: 10d6*
Critical: --
Damage Type: --
Range Increment: 50 ft.
Size: Large
Weight: 14 lbs.
Purchase DC: 35
Restriction: Illegal (+4)

*Damage Varies: When the rocket is fired, it deals 10d6 damage to everyone within 5 feet, 8d6 to everyone within 10 feet, and 10d4 to everyone 15 feet away. Reflex Save DC 18 to deal half damage.
Those don't look too shabby. I'll post mine later anyway; they're based off their real-life counterparts in the Modern Weapon Locker. In addition to other weapons that would conceivably be used but weren't shown in the game, that is.

edit: On the restrictions, I think every weapon would be at least Combine-restricted. They're a totalitarian government, they don't want to provide citizens with any means to stage an uprising.
Cool, I'm working on a Strider right now. I might also do the Zombines, The Mortar Synth, Stalkers, and the Hunter when Half Life 2 Episode 2 Comes out. And A Ravenholm Setting would be cool too. Tell me if your already working on any of these.
IMAGE(http://www.hlportal.de/images/content/hl2/enemies/zombie-fast.jpg)
Fast Zombie: CR 3; Medium-size undead; HD 2d8+3; HP 16; Init +2; Spd 40ft; Defense 14; Touch 12; Flat-footed 12 (+2 Dex, +2 Natural), BAB +0, Grapple +1; Atk +3 Melee (2d4+3, Claw), Atk +0 Ranged (1d4, thrown object); Full Attack +3 Melee (2d6+3, two claws); FS 5 ft. by 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.; SQ scent, undead; SV Fort +0, Ref +2, Will +3; AP 0, Str 14, Dex 15, Con -, Int 11, Wis 8, Cha 6.
Possessions: None.

IMAGE(http://developer.valvesoftware.com/w/images/7/76/Zombie_poison.jpg)
Poison Zombie: CR 9; Medium-size undead; HD 4d12+3; HP 47; Init 0; Spd 25ft; Defense 16; Touch 8; Flat-footed 10 (+2 Dex, +4 Natural), BAB +0, Grapple +1; Atk +3 Melee (1d10+3, Claw), Atk +0 Ranged (1d4, thrown object); Full Attack +3 Melee (2d8+3, two claws); FS 5 ft. by 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.; SQ scent, undead; SV Fort +0, Ref +2, Will +3; AP 0, Str 14, Dex 15, Con -, Int 11, Wis 8, Cha 6.
Possessions: Tattered Clothes.

Throw Headcrab (General): The Poison Zombie may decide to throw a Poison Headcrab at the enemy. Reflex Save DC 15 to get out of the way. The Poison Headcrab will do normal attack damage, plus its Neurotoxin ability.

IMAGE(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/7e/HL2Poisoncrab.jpg/230px-HL2Poisoncrab.jpg)
Poison Headcrab CR 5; Small-size undead; HD 2d6; HP 9; Init 0; Spd 30ft; Defense 12; Touch 8; Flat-footed 10 (+2 Natural), BAB +0, Grapple +1; Atk +3 Melee (0d0, Claw), Atk +0 Ranged (1d4, thrown object); Full Attack +3 Melee (0d0, Jump claws); FS 5 ft. by 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.; SQ scent; SV Fort +0, Ref +2, Will +3; AP 0, Str 14, Dex 15, Con -, Int 11, Wis 8, Cha 6.
Possessions: Nothing.

Neurotoxin (General): Whenever a Poison Headcrab makes a succesful attack it instantly lowers the target's health to 1.

Control Host: If a headcrab can establish a grapple on a foe (see its improved grab ability), then it can begin to establish control over its new host. The headcrab attachs itself over the head of its victim, and using its two beak-like fang protrusions above its maw, penetrates the victim's skull and infiltrates the central nervous system. The headcrab then begins to engorge itself onto the victim's head, engulfing almost the entire of a victim's head in the headcrab's mouth.
This process unfolds over the course of 10 rounds. Unless the process is interrupted by removing or killing the headcrab, after the 10th round the victim's Strength falls to 0 (suffering the consequences of such loss).
Over the course of 1d4 hours, the headcrab establishes control over the victim's central nervous system. After that, the victim aquires one of the headcrab zombie templates, depending on which variety or circumstances of the infestation.
This attack cannot be used if the target is wearing a functioning helmet or some other armor.

IMAGE(http://developer.valvesoftware.com/w/images/e/e8/Headcrab_fast.jpg)
Fast Headcrab CR 5; Small-size undead; HD 2d6; HP 9; Init 0; Spd 40ft; Defense 12; Touch 8; Flat-footed 10 (+2 Natural), BAB +0, Grapple +1; Atk +3 Melee (2d6, Claw), Atk +0 Ranged (1d4, thrown object); Full Attack +3 Melee (2d6+2, Jump claws); FS 5 ft. by 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.; SQ scent; SV Fort +0, Ref +2, Will +3; AP 0, Str 14, Dex 15, Con 12, Int 11, Wis 8, Cha 6.

==========================================================
Sorry about the Fast Headcrab being a five-minute creation.
Regarding the poison crabs: I think you may be thinking too much in "fps terms" rather than making it viable for the RPG. The only reason Gordon is only reduced to 1 health is because of his HEV suit. Perhaps a CON hit instead? It looks viable other than that, but it might need some tweaking.

Speaking of tweaking, I just got my weapons manual back from the friend borrowing it. I'll get my own weapon versions up soon.
Poison Headcrab 1.5

Poison Headcrab CR 5; Small-size undead; HD 2d6; HP 9; Init 0; Spd 30ft; Defense 12; Touch 8; Flat-footed 10 (+2 Natural), BAB +0, Grapple +1; Atk +3 Melee (1d4, Claw), Atk +0 Ranged (1d4, thrown object); Full Attack +3 Melee (2d4+2, Jump claws); FS 5 ft. by 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.; SQ scent; SV Fort +0, Ref +2, Will +3; AP 0, Str 14, Dex 15, Con -, Int 11, Wis 8, Cha 6.

Neurotoxin (General): Whenever the Poison Headcrab makes a succesful attack, Constitution is reduced by 1d4. The target must remain at atleast 1 Constitution left.

I'm glad this thing is picking up steam. Here are my versions of a few of the weapons, I'm working them as I go along. Still needs tweaking and playtesting. Soon to come are the more exotic weapons, as well as unseen Resistance weapons.

WEAPONS

One of the first actions the Combine took after seizing Earth was confiscating and destroying any weapons which could be useful in the event of an uprising. Adopting certain weapons as their own, the Combine outfitted their own soldiers with modified versions of existing human weapons, as well as alien technology for higher-ranked Overwatch personell.

Many resistance members have managed to smuggle out pre-existing Human weapons, though these can be very difficult to find without looking in very specific places. Since they are not being manufactured anymore, Human weapons are gradually being phased out among the resistance in favor of scavenged Combine weaponry. However, it is still somewhat common to see nonstandard weaponry within Resistance strongholds.

All weapons, regardless of whether they are Combine or Rebel, are considered Highly Illegal and carry extremely harsh punishments for being caught in possession of one. See the Combine Law section for more details on Legality Levels, Combine Laws, and Punishments.

MELEE WEAPONS

Any of the Simple Weapons from page 107 of the d20 Modern Core Rulebook can be found at GM’s discretion, aside from the Stun Gun and Tonfa. Within Combine Cities, it is usually quite difficult to find any weapon at all.

Stunstick

IMAGE(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/44/HL2Stunstick.jpg)

Carried by Civil Protection units, Stunsticks are used to enforce order in the most brutal nonlethal way possible. Channeling electricity into a glowing tip, it gives a painful shock and stuns its target upon contact.
Weapon: Stunstick
Damage: 1d6 Subdual + Stun (DC 15)
Damage Type: Electricity
Range Increment: -
Size: Med
Weight: 2 lb.
Note: Stunsticks can never do Lethal damage, only Subdual. Upon contact, a character must make a DC 15 Fortitude save or be Stunned.

Crowbar

IMAGE(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/65/HL2Crowbar.jpg)

Very useful for opening things that aren’t meant to be opened. Found in industrial areas, the crowbar is mainly used as a weapon by Resistance forces only as a last resort. By the time it’s necessary to use a crowbar against advancing Overwatch forces, however, it’s usually far too late.
Weapon: Crowbar
Damage: 1d6
Damage Type: Bludgeoning
Range Increment: -
Weight: 3 lb.

RANGED WEAPONS

H&K USP Match

IMAGE(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/da/HL2Pistol.jpg)

Used by German armed forces and police before the Combine invasion, the H&K USP Match has been assimilated into the arsenal of the Combine Overwatch ground forces. Other variants of the USP are available, but they are exceedingly rare.

H&K USP Match (9mm Autoloader)
Damage Type: Ballistic
Range Increment: 40 ft.
Rate of Fire: S
Magazine: 18 box
Weight: 2 lb.

Colt Python .357 revolver

IMAGE(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f1/HL2Magnum.jpg)

Increasingly rare, these weapons are highly prized by Resistance members for their great power and accuracy. A character equipped with a Python .357 is capable of doing incredible amounts of damage in a short period of time.

Colt Python .357
Damage: 2d6 + Knockdown
Range Increment: 40 ft
Rate of Fire: S
Magazine: 6 cyl.
Weight: 3lb
Knockdown: A character hit with a shot from a .357 must make a DC10+damage Reflex save or be knocked prone. Characters with more than two legs are exempt.
Note: Due to its high quality of manufacture, a .357 that has been kept in reasonably good condition since the Combine’s arrival grants a +1 bonus to attack rolls and damage.

H&K MP7

IMAGE(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/10/HL2SMG.jpg)

Chosen by the Combine for its sturdy construction and versatile, compact design, the MP7 is used by both Overwatch Soldiers and Civil Protection units in the event of a crisis. The foregrip can be folded to use this weapon as either a submachine gun or a pistol. A variety of sights can be fitted to the top of it, though Combine soldiers typically use a red dot scope.

H&K MP7
Range Increment: 70 ft.
Rate of Fire: S, A
Magazine: 40 box
Weight: 4 lb.
Note: The MP7 is considered a Mastercraft weapon.
The MP7 is able to be fitted with a bottom-mounted grenade launcher. This weapon can be fired one-handed, but the user takes a –1 penalty on attack rolls.

MP7 Grenade Launcher
Damage: 3d6
Critical: -
Damage Type: Slashing
Burst Radius: 10 ft.
Reflex Save DC: 15
Range Increment: 10 ft.
Size: Tiny
Weight: -

AR2 Assault Rifle

IMAGE(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/37/OSIPR2.jpg)

A powerful directed-energy weapon used by the Combine Overwatch soldiers and Overwatch Elites. The primary fire launches a burst of energy bolts. While the Pulse Rifle appears to feed from a box like a conventional machine gun, the "ammunition" is contained in a small plug-shaped body that is loaded directly into the barrel and repeatedly hammered to discharge the energy pulses. When exhausted, the ammo plug is ejected and an automated system feeds and loads another plug into place.

AR2 Assault Rifle
Range Increment: 80 ft.
Rate of Fire: S, A
Magazine: 30 box
Weight: 10 lb.
Note: Due to its alien construction, AR2 Assault Rifles are only able to hold two additional ammunition plugs.
Secondary Fire: Though highly dangerous and unstable, Combine Elites are able to use the Secondary Fire function of their rifles. This fires a ball of pure energy from the rifle, which destroys matter on the subatomic level. Firing this weapon gives a –4 on the attack roll to hit, and consumes an entire ammunition plug. The weapon must have a full clip to use this ability. Characters hit with the ball of energy must make a DC 12 reflex save or die. A character who makes the reflex save takes 6d6 points of damage and is Stunned.

Franchi Spas-12 Shotgun

IMAGE(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7f/HL2Shotgun2.jpg)

Adopted by the Combine for its usefulness in indoor environments, the Spas-12 is feared for its ability to tear through lightly armored opponents with ease. Resistance members facing Spas-12 armed Combine are advised to rethink their tactics or suffer the consequences.

Franchi Spas-12
Damage: 2d8 + Knockdown
Range Increment: 40 ft.
Rate of Fire: Single, S
Magazine: 7 int
Weight: 10 lb.
Note: Within 10 feet, the Spas-12 does an extra die of damage.

----

More to come later tonight. That headcrab looks pretty good, by the way
Nice job on the weapons, the pictures aren't bad either. Do you have Garry's Mod? Oh, heres the long waited for (i think) Strider.

IMAGE(http://img.presence-pc.com/news/h/a/half-life_2_strider.jpg)
A terrifying construction by the combine, this vehicle will hunt anything down and destroy it. Your probably better off running, but if you have to fight it be prepared.

Strider: CR 16; Collosal-size construct; HD 14d8; HP 112; Init +2; Spd 45ft; Defense 17; Touch 8; Flat-footed 10 (+5 Armor, +2 Dex), BAB +0, Grapple +0; Atk +0 Melee (no melee attacks), Atk +5 Ranged (3d10+5 Strider Cannon); Full Attack +5 Ranged (Disintegrator Cannon); FS 15 ft. by 15 ft.; Reach 0 ft.; SQ None; SV Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +2; AP 0, Str 14, Dex 15, Con 18, Int 20, Wis 14, Cha 10.
Skills: Listen +3, Spot +3
Feats: None.
Possessions: Metal Scraps.

Frightful Presense: Once the Strider kills, everyone within 30 feet of it must roll a Fortitude Save DC18 or be shaken for 1d4 rounds. If someone succesfuly rolls an 18 for their fortitude save, they are immune to the Frightful Presence for 24 hours.

Disentegration Cannon: Once every 12 hours, a Strider may discharge pure energy just as the AR-2, only everything under the Strider is destroyed and disintegrated. Reflex Save DC 15 to escape being disintegrated.

The hunter is next.
IMAGE(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b2/Hl2ep2_ministrider1.jpg)
The Hunter is a very scary device. It will hunt you down to the ends of the earth. This is a very skilled tracker that comes in two sizes, Collosal and Large. They come equipped with the best weapons and armor and will follow you from the sea to buildings.

Mini-Hunter: CR 14; Large-size construct; HD 12d6; HP 54; Init +0; Spd 30ft; Defense 15; Touch 8; Flat-footed 15 (+5 Armor), BAB +0, Grapple +0; Atk +0 Melee (no melee attacks), Atk +5 Ranged (2d8+2 Pulse Turrets); Full Attack +0 Ranged (Supression Device); FS 10 ft. by 10 ft.; Reach 0 ft.; SQ None; SV Fort +2, Ref +0, Will +2; AP 0, Str 14, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 25, Wis 14, Cha 10.
Skills: Listen +6, Spot +6, Search +8, Move Silently +5, Survival +10
Feats: Nimble, Blind Fight

Suppresion Device: Every 24 hours, a Mini-Hunter may discharge pure energy that hits the ground and disintegrates anything within 15 feet away, including trees, benches, and other objects. Reflex Save DC 15 or be killed.

Hunter: CR 18; Collosal-size construct; HD 12d6+5; HP 77; Init +0; Spd 45ft; Defense 18; Touch 8; Flat-footed 15 (+5 Armor, +3 Dex), BAB +0, Grapple +0; Atk +0 Melee (no melee attacks), Atk +5 Ranged (2d10+5 Pulse Turrets); Full Attack +0 Ranged (Supression Device); FS 10 ft. by 10 ft.; Reach 0 ft.; SQ None; SV Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +2; AP 0, Str 14, Dex 15, Con 14, Int 25, Wis 14, Cha 10.
Skills: Listen +6, Spot +6, Search +8, Move Silently +5, Survival +10
Feats: Nimble, Blind Fight, Track

Suppresion Device: Every 24 hours, a Hunter may discharge pure energy that hits the ground and disintegrates anything within 15 feet away, including trees, benches, and other objects. Reflex Save DC 15 or be killed.

Disintegrated? Don't Worry!

The players usually won't travel alone, so if a player dies, instead of him creating another character, have him play as one of the rebels that was following him. Have a character sheet ready for them. This might be used alot because of disintegration, so be a nice GM and give them a few citizens.
Anyone want to playtest this?
I'd be willing to run a short playtest game to see how things work.

A comment on the Strider: Do you think it should have some DR against Ballistics damage, to make it harder to destroy with regular weapons fire? Other than that it looks good, nice and scary. I'm not sure on the beam cannon, maybe a multi-round recharge time instead of 24 hours. I definitely recall them firing more than once with that thing.

I really like the addition of Frightful Presence, though. I doubt I would have thought of that.

I'll set up a forum later tonight to see if we can get some people together for playtesting. If anyone has AIM and wants to contact me about it, my AIM address is Treesquid101.
If you liked the Strider, the Hunter's going to be worse. hehehe, it's colossal sized, yet it can follow the player anywhere. Office Buildings, Underwater, and even underground. I'll see if i can find some people for playtesting.
Yeah, I'm not sure about the hunter. I'd wait until we actually know what it's like to fight it before trying to stat it out. That's a good baseline to work with, however.
Okay, I wasn't sure of it myself because it's coming out for Half-Life 2 Episode 2 so i'm really not sure how it's going to be. People say it's the Hound-Eye from Half Life 1 that has been worked on by the Combine. I'll buy Episode 2 when it comes out.
Good news, I ran a playtest with my friend and brother.
They rated ot 7.5 out of 10. Just need to work on it some more, I'm gonna work on the Hunter. Also i'm going to work on finding someone who can convert this to a .pdf
I'll see if they want to playtest with us.
This can be a really good setting if it's handled properly. I wouldn't work on getting it in pdf form just yet, there's a lot of peripheral stuff that still needs doing. Basically we've got the bare bone structure somewhat done, it needs a lot of fleshing out however.

edit: I've just created the forum at hld20.forumer.com

Register there if you're interested in playing, and I'll put up a thread with character creation information soon.
Okay, i'm not getting it into .pdf yet, just when it's finished. By the way, would hacking be useful in Half Life 2? Is your username Benefactor or is that someone else.
Yes, that's me. Hacking could definitely be useful, considering that you'd need to break through Combine barriers and such.
My brother's not gonna help playtest, I'll find someone else. My friend might play.
Yes, that's me. Hacking could definitely be useful, considering that you'd need to break through Combine barriers and such.

take a look at my new hacking rules thread. It makes hacking alot better.
Sign In to post comments