Skin Your Forums

109 posts / 0 new
Last post

Introducing the ability to skin your Wizards Community Forums experience. 

So, like many of you, I was not pleased when I saw the new forums. As a web developer, I was particularly turned off by the extremely excessive amount of unused space and how much padding everything had, thus requiring a lot more scrolling. However, rather than just stating my complaints as many of you have rightly done, I decided to do something about it. Behold the power of CSS.

For those unfamiliar with the term, CSS is a scripting language used for defining layout and styling of elements on web pages. Almost all modern websites use it, including these forums. Fortunately, CSS makes it very easy to override styles, so with the help of the community, let's provide everyone the ability to tweak the appearance of the forums to their liking, even after Wizards hopefully improves the default appearance (perhaps even utilizing CSS created by us ;)).

Below you'll find a list of skins created by the community and setup instructions for how to apply that skin to your forum experience. Each skin is just a block of CSS script (no JavaScript or plug-ins required), so it's completely safe to use.

I've kicked things off with a skin I wrote which simply increases font size for certain text, removes excess padding, increases widths of posts and other blocks of content to use up excess whitespace, and adds a border and background color around quotes. Please note that it will cause wrapping issues if your window is less than 1170 pixels wide (I'll look into creating alternative skins for narrower windows later).

NOTE: If the links below don't work or you can't access the CSS text for some reason, please let me know. Meanwhile, the raw text can be found here (though it may not be up to date).

Starter Layout Skin (danmage72) - Last updated 9/24/13 (Details)

This skin is a good starting point for anyone hoping to create their own. Please post your CSS if you work on a skin and I'll add it to the list below. I'm particularly hoping people will contribute theme skins to apply in combination with the starter skin to allow changing the color scheme of the site.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions about creating or applying skins or suggestions for improving the starter skin.

Color/Theme Skins:

NOTE: see here for tips on applying a custom background image.

Additional Layout Skins:
  • Coming soon with your help!

Setup Instructions

Copy the contents of one or more the above “skins” (likely one layout skin and one color/theme skin), then paste each into a custom CSS file based on your browser and OS:

• Chrome (Windows): %LocalAppData%\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\User StyleSheets\Custom.css
  • Chrome (Linux): ~/.config/google-chrome/Default/User StyleSheets/Custom.css
  • Chrome (Mac): "~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default/User StyleSheets/Custom.css"
  • Chromium (Linux): ~/.config/chromium/Default/User StyleSheets/Custom.css
  • Firefox (Windows): %AppData%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<profile-directory-name>\chrome\userContent.css
  • Firefox (Linux): ~/.mozilla/firefox/<profile-directory-name>/chrome/userContent.css
  • Firefox (Mac): "~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/sdfjdsf.default/chrome/userContent.css"
  • IE: Tools (Alt+T) > Internet Options > General tab > Acessibility button > Check "Format documents using my style sheet" > Browse button > Select new or existing css file (such as that used by Chrome/Firefox if also installed)
  • Opera: Menu > Settings > Preferences > Advanced tab > Content menu item > Style Options button > Select or create user specific stylesheet
  • Safari: Preferences > Advanced > Style Sheet

If you can't find a file at the path above, creating it should work. Note that for Windows, if your computer isn't configured to resolve the %AppData% path, replace it with C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming for Windows Vista/7/8 or C:\Documents and Settings\ApplicationData\Roaming for Windows 2000/XP. %LocalAppData% is the same except "Local" instead of "Roaming". For Mac, be sure to include the quotes in order to resolve the spaces. See here (Chrome, Firefox, Opera), here (IE), or here (Safari) for more information. If you find another solution that works (such as for a browser not listed above), please post it and I'll update this post.

After you save the custom CSS file, the skin’s styles should automatically override the corresponding styles of the site the next time your open it (if not immediately based on the browser). The result should hopefully be a much better experience using these forums.

Note that you can also combine multiple skins together in one file, which is particularly useful if one skin defines layout stuff (like the starter skin above) and the other defines image or color overrides.

Alternative Setup with Plugin/Extension

Find a plugin/extension for your browser that allows defining CSS to apply on top of specific websites. Copy the CSS to that plugin and configure it for this site. Please feel free to post any such plugins/extensions you find so I can add them below:

Not happy with the look of the new forums? Check out the Skin Your Forums thread for a solution.

Excellent work, this is a huge step up. I only wish I knew enough to get rid of the white background for a light grey or something and get some pleasant green somewhere. Heh. But yeah, even this basic one means less wasted column width and more topic per screen. That's bonus enough for me.

EDIT: You may want to put up a couple of screenshots showing the changes to entice people to enable this. A few of them are a bit subtle.

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

Came here to ask you to out up screen shots

"Life is like a Dungeon Master, if it smiles at you something terrible is probably about to happen."

These boards are terrible so I dont always check in.  If you need me contat my gmail at BHRPGS.

Let's see if I can manage this.

Less wasted space, more topics viewable.

Column width is wider, less wasted space again. Quotes appear in yellow boxes.

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

Wow...it doesn't fix everything...but it's a HUGE step in the right direction...

THANKS!!!

Ipad - neosilk76 
Steam - neosilk 

Tired of the new forum format, and all it's problems?  Try a new forum!

http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Thanks, now just need something to get rid of the blinding white

Might I suggest

dl.odd {
        background-color: #D0D0D0 !important;
    }

or something to that effect?

Used Stylish and it worked like a charm! So many thanks!

Technical Note: I copied the Starter Style above into a new Stylish user style, then added the following code to the very top:

@-moz-document url-prefix("http://community.wizards.com/forum"), url-prefix("http://community.wizards.com/forums")

------------------------------------
ROLAND VOLZ
Local Coordinator
NJ D&D Adventurers League
dndalnj@gmail.com - http://bit.ly/dndalnj

Not happy with the look of the new forums? Check out the Skin Your Forums thread for a solution.

Resources: D&D Next: VALOREIGN Home Game Development, Kalani's Homebrew and Original Content | General Campaign Stuff: Bawylie's Budget Dungeons

TiaNadiezja wrote:

AlHazred wrote:

Used Stylish and it worked like a charm! So many thanks!

Technical Note: I copied the Starter Style above into a new Stylish user style, then added the following code to the very top:

@-moz-document url-prefix("http://community.wizards.com/forum"), url-prefix("http://community.wizards.com/forums")

Does that make it so the CSS is only applied if you're in a site with that prefix? If so, that would allow me to remove all the extra CSS descriptors I was using just to try to avoid messing up other sites.

Also, thanks to the guy above for posting screenshots.

I'm no coder myself, but I've worked with enough gaming companies in the past beta testing products to make me 95% sure that's what that line of code does. I'm pretty sure you can't force the forum to bump threads with new replies, but if you can give us some non-white background colours (or even images!), that'd be nice.

puzzledmint wrote:

Might I suggest

dl.odd {
    }

or something to that effect?

I am not sure, however, what this line does, or if it needs to be inserted in a particular place or whatever. I think I'll let Dan manage it unless you've got specific instructions?

Quick update. I updated the Starter Skin to decrease the height and padding in and around the Jump menu. I also added a "Last updated" blurb to the spoiler block and a Revisions block at the top of inside of the spoiler block that I'll update whenever I post revisions. I'll try to do similar for any other skins people post and want available in the first post.

Also, to answer GodOfAntheism's question, all you'd need to do is copy that blurb of script to the bottom of the same file that you pasted the Starter Skin into. As mentioned, these skins can be used together, though if any styles overlap between two such skins, I think the bottom one in the file will take precedence if I'm not mistaken.

I threw it in at the top.

It does this:

There's no good way to highlight threads with new activity, since the only identifiers are the "New replies" icon (which only applies to non-sticky threads) and the broken "New posts" link.

CSS will let you highlight the icon or the link, but it won't let you highlight the thread based on the presence of the icon or the link.

.wrapper #page #content-column #forum-node-form  .form-actions {
    padding: 6px !important;
    margin-top: 6px !important;
    margin-bottom: 6px !important;
}
dl.odd {
    }

That's from line 116 down, don't see any difference. Not seeing it in your screencap either. :/

Before-and-after:

Ah, see? I said some of the changes were subtle. I was looking in the margin white area for a change and didn't see it. That's at least a little more progress in fighting back against WotC's War on Colour.

danmage72 wrote:

AlHazred wrote:
I copied the Starter Style above into a new Stylish user style, then added the following code to the very top:

Does that make it so the CSS is only applied if you're in a site with that prefix? If so, that would allow me to remove all the extra CSS descriptors I was using just to try to avoid messing up other sites.

Yes, that's what it's supposed to do. I'm not sure how specific it is (haven't really had time to test here at work) but it's possible it will work with just the "/forum" (singular) instead of both that and the "/forums" (plural). I haven't noticed any modification on any of my other forums (although I haven't checked them all) so I think it's working. Although, the style does odd things to some of the formatting, like here:

ROLAND VOLZ
Local Coordinator

Resources: D&D Next: VALOREIGN Home Game Development, Kalani's Homebrew and Original Content | General Campaign Stuff: Bawylie's Budget Dungeons

TiaNadiezja wrote:

That means the url-prefix is not working. When I tried it out, I saw the same thing. The reason is that line at the top is messing up the very first CSS class, which is the one that reduces a lot of the padding (notice the thread rows). It's able to recover for the remaining styles, but ultimately that line isn't doing anything to prevent them being considered for other sites.

If you're looking to change the white background to something else, that's fairly simple. Add this line anywhere in the pasted CSS text:

.wrapper {
    background-color: #ccc;
}

You can replace the grey color (#ccc) with whatever color you want. Use http://www.w3schools.com/tags/ref_colorpicker.asp to pick the color and copy the hex code.

Or, if you prefer a background image:

.wrapper {
    background-image: url(http://blackmarches.wdfiles.com/local--files/red-dragon-king/RedDragon.jpg);
}

Put the link to the image in between the url() parentheses.

If you have a Facebook account, support the CoCo by clicking on the Like button below:

Where on earth is this:

Firefox (Windows): %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<profile-directory-name>\chrome\userContent.css

There's no %APPDATA% folder on my pc

Oh hypocrisy! A World full of n00bs indeed!

%appdata% is a system variable that links to a shell folder.

Typing %appdata% into the address bar of an explorer window, or into the run command, or into the start menu search bar will take you to the correct folder.

N00BGamerIsN00b wrote:

Where on earth is this:

Firefox (Windows): %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<profile-directory-name>\chrome\userContent.css

Just paste it into Windows Explorer (not to be confused with Internet Explorer), and it will go to the right place. Don't hunt for it manually.

In case you're curious, it's an environment variable that tells Windows where to store application data. Windows replaces the %APPDATA% part with an actual folder path.

If you have a Facebook account, support the CoCo by clicking on the Like button below:

N00BGamerIsN00b wrote:

Where on earth is this:

I would use the Stylish plugin. It's easier to use and pretty stable.

danmage72 wrote:

That means the url-prefix is not working. When I tried it out, I saw the same thing. The reason is that line at the top is messing up the very first CSS class, which is the one that reduces a lot of the padding (notice the thread rows). It's able to recover for the remaining styles, but ultimately that line isn't doing anything to prevent them being considered for other sites.

I'll admit, my coding skills are basically at a primate level. I'm not sure what the fix for that is.

EDIT: Reread what you said earlier and realized I was being a dumbass. Moved to the bottom, works like a charm. Again, my eyes thank you!

ROLAND VOLZ
Local Coordinator

TiaNadiezja wrote:
Noob, documents and settings\applicationdata

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

thedevilwuster wrote:

Only on Win 2K and XP

dgallaty wrote:

If you're looking to change the white background to something else, that's fairly simple. Add this line anywhere in the pasted CSS text:

.wrapper {
}

You can replace the grey color (#ccc) with whatever color you want. Use http://www.w3schools.com/tags/ref_colorpicker.asp to pick the color and copy the hex code.

Or, if you prefer a background image:

.wrapper {
    background-image: url(http://blackmarches.wdfiles.com/local--files/red-dragon-king/RedDragon.jpg);
}

Put the link to the image in between the url() parentheses.

Awesome, gracias.

puzzledmint wrote:

thedevilwuster wrote:

Only on Win 2K and XP

Added note to original post in case other people run into this, including the location for Windows Vista/7/8.

Also, since people have been asking about tweaking the color scheme, I went ahead and posted a very simple color theme skin named "Gray Background" that applies a gray background color instead of white, as well as updates the "odd" rows of the lists to be a slightly lighter gray (but darker than the even rows). As mentioned previously, you should simply copy/paste the color theme skin above or below the Starter Skin.

Obviously, my color theme skin is very basic, so I encourage others who are interested to try skinning more of the site. Also, does anyone have a good site for uploading textures and other images for use in theme skins? It might also be nice to save the Starter Skin to an actual file stored on that site and link to it rather than having all the script in the original post.

My eyes thank you all.

I'm ancient. Still love my XP Pro. :-p

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Beautiful. Just after I got the gray background worked out, it's already posted in the OP. You got to like initiative!

danmage72 wrote:
Also, does anyone have a good site for uploading textures and other images for use in theme skins? It might also be nice to save the Starter Skin to an actual file stored on that site and link to it rather than having all the script in the original post.

I still like Photobucket for picture uploading and sharing, and Pastebin is a great place to share CSS (and other code languages, for that matter). I don't know of a site where it would be easier to do both on the same site.

dl.sticky-topic.even {
        background-color: #C0C0E0 !important;
    }
    dl.sticky-topic.odd {
        background-color: #B0B0D0 !important;
    }
    dl.not-sticky.odd {
    }

yields

More fun with colors!

Highlight your own posts:

.post-by-viewer > .forum-post-wrapper {
        background-color: #C0F0C0 !important;
    }

Highlight topic starter's posts:

.article > .forum-post-wrapper, .post-by-starter > .forum-post-wrapper {
        background-color: #C0C0F0 !important;
    }

Highlight posts by a specific user:

.posted-by-{userID#} > .forum-post-wrapper {
        background-color: #F0C0C0 !important;
    }

You can get a user's ID # from the "Send Private Message" button's link address

Ah, much better! Thanks OP.

dgallaty wrote:

.wrapper {
}

Sweet. #191919; seems to work well with the site's UI without giving me a headache.

Hi! I run a YouTube channel at YouTube.com/user/NemosChannel. I upload Duels of the Planeswalkers gameplay, deckbuilds, and even Tier List videos. It's the best place for strategy and silly humor. Drop by and see!

Very nice.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert

NemoYT wrote:

dgallaty wrote:

.wrapper {
}

Sweet. #191919; seems to work well with the site's UI without giving me a headache.

Throw in

.forum-topic-header {
        background-color: #FFFFFF !important;
    }

If you want to fix the bar near the top with the quick-reply / last post buttons. The First Unread button doesn't look so hot on a dark background.

puzzledmint wrote:

NemoYT wrote:

dgallaty wrote:

.wrapper {
}

Throw in

.forum-topic-header {
        background-color: #FFFFFF !important;
    }

If you want to fix the bar near the top with the quick-reply / last post buttons. The First Unread button doesn't look so hot on a dark background.

Quoting this only to highlight the most recent update to the Starter Skin which is to better support nested quotes by making level 2 darker than level 1 and level 3+ darker than level 2. I also fixed the issue where the quoted person's name was smaller inside nested quotes and added padding above each name and between the right edge of a quote and the text/nested quote.

I'd recommend #D7D585 for the second-level quote. It's a nice middle ground between 1 and 3.

#E6E38E is too bright. Not a clear enough contrast between it and the first-level quote.

puzzledmint wrote:

I'd recommend #D7D585 for the second-level quote. It's a nice middle ground between 1 and 3.

#E6E38E is too bright. Not a clear enough contrast between it and the first-level quote.

There's enough contrast on my monitor, and #D7D585 is also too close to the level 3 quote for me. Besides, I used the HTML Color Picker site to determine the next two darker shades to use from the #FFFC9E starting point.

That said, the nice thing about this is everyone is free to tweak and customize their skin to their heart's content, so if you like that color better, go for it. I'm going to leave the Starter Skin as is though.

EDIT: Somewhat unrelated, but FYI that I just updated the Starter Skin with a small tweak to the blockquote fix so the quoted person's name is offset slightly to the left and added some padding between it and the quote content.

puzzledmint wrote:

Highlight your own posts:

.post-by-viewer > .forum-post-wrapper {
        background-color: #C0F0C0 !important;
    }

There's a pleasant green like I was wanting. ^_^

Thanks a lot Dan. GoA beat me by a few minutes but he posted a link in the DOTP thread.

This would be a good place to add this as I know a lot of people are expiriencing problems on mobile such as line breaks creating what looks like one, long run on sentence.

Tag < p>text< /p> without the tag spaces. for each portion of text you want seperated.

Thanks again. Cheers!

Show

thedevilwuster wrote:

Thanks a lot Dan. GoA beat me by a few minutes but he posted a link in the DOTP thread.

Protip: The rest of the site doesn't know we exist. Know that sig I had almost six months? Finally got removed today after they noticed it here. Which did them a world of good. I went from having a harmless joke about another company who doesn't come read things here (and won't support their own product, they tell people to come here) to having a scathing criticism of this very company. Good call guys. ^_^

Sign In to post comments