Updated Issues List

62 posts / 0 new
Last post

Howdy folks,

If you aren't hearing much from us in these forums, it's because we've been working on critical bug fixes and prioritizing the rest of your feedback.

Here's a quick high-level update before we get back to that work. Please be assured we are continuing to collect any additional feedback and issues you have.

Fixed

• Forum thread redirects
  • Profile edit issue affecting some accounts
  • User post count calculation
  • Thread sorting by recent post instead of creation date
  • "Access denied" error with some links

9/15/13

• Forum post widths extended
  • Threads sort by recent activity.
  • Private messages can now be sent.
  • Manacost (MC] tags using lowercase letters now working
  • # New on thread redirect solved.

In progress:

• iPhone/iPad display issues
  • Activity feed for followed content
  • List of followers/following

Investigating: 

• Wiki fixes
  • Group membership errors

Planned:

• Updates to spam filter, including profanity filter
  • Performance enhancements
  • Search improvements
  • Autocard apostrophe issue
  • Design issues with post preview mode
  • Quote styling
  • Forums breadcrumb and pagination improvements

Thanks for all your feedback and help improving the new site!

Monica

Edit log: Added new list of fixes, edited the items out of "in Progress"

I know, and apologize for the people complaining about post count, but why was that placed as a priority?  That seems like the least important thing of everything.

Furthermore a lot of this stuff seems like incredibly basic things that should have been addressed weeks before this was even considered to go live with.

EDIT:
Sorting by post order not thread creation is NOT fixed.

EDIT: 

Forum links (like in my stickies) are still broken and NOT fixed.

EDIT:
Post counts are absolutely NOT fixed.

HAS ANYTHING ACTUALLY BEEN FIXED?

Casual Play Archetypes | The Casual Play FAQ: A Guide to the Game of Magic | The Return of Group-Make-A-Deck!

Contributions are welcomed!

nogoblinsallowed.com

Join us!  

Threads ordering has NOT been fixed. It remains "creation date" ordered rather than "recent content" ordered.

Dragonette wrote:

Forum thread width (too much white space to right of thread)

Add this to the css:

.region-two-66-33-second {
        display:none !important;
    }
    .region-two-66-33-first {
        width:100% !important;
    }

It will fix the issue immediately.

All five items under fixed are very much still not fixed.

"Life is like a Dungeon Master, if it smiles at you something terrible is probably about to happen."

These boards are terrible so I dont always check in.  If you need me contat my gmail at BHRPGS.

tonyto3690 wrote:

I know, and apologize for the people complaining about post count, but why was that placed as a priority?  That seems like the least important thing of everything.

Furthermore a lot of this stuff seems like incredibly basic things that should have been addressed weeks before this was even considered to go live with.

EDIT:
Sorting by post order not thread creation is NOT fixed.

EDIT: 

Forum links (like in my stickies) are still broken and NOT fixed.

EDIT:
Post counts are absolutely NOT fixed.

HAS ANYTHING ACTUALLY BEEN FIXED?

If you keep wishing, it will become reality. 

tonyto3690 wrote:

I can't speak for WotC, but priority isn't always stictly about importance. Usually it is a combination of importance and difficulty.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert

Qmark wrote:

Dragonette wrote:

Forum thread width (too much white space to right of thread)

Add this to the css:

.region-two-66-33-second {
        display:none !important;
    }
    .region-two-66-33-first {
        width:100% !important;
    }

It will fix the issue immediately.

In that vein, if you don't want to wait for the forum thread width and quote styling fixes, check out the Skin Your Forums thread for a solution you can use right now. The Starter Skin there includes this CSS fix among many others.

Not happy with the look of the new forums? Check out the Skin Your Forums thread for a solution.

Hey everyone,

I'm sorry to see you're still having issues with the items on the fixed list. I'll make sure to share that information with the right team.

Thanks for the continuing feedback

Monica

I doubt it needs to be said, but everyone's profile pics have been blanked.

Also, the thread-order continues to be incorrect.

Out of curiosity, are the people doing the fixing viewing the forums the same way we are? Or are they working with an internal version? Because it's hard to believe that they could miss that many things and say they're fixed when they haven't been.

I feel sorry for Dragonette. I can just imagine her being told by head honchos to make a new thread with order of fixed/working/low priority, only to be told by the users in the first reply that 3 of the 5 fixed points (including the most important one to actually be a forum) were not fixed at all, plus the blank profile pics.

And yet, this also proves what razor said in the earlier thread. For all the talk from the ORCs that the community is build by everyone, it is obvious that the ones maintaining the forum are not part of the community at all. Else they'd at least have a normal test account. I know I have on my 5k+ members forum.

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

Hi folks,

1st of all, I have let people know about the new issue with the avatars. I'm afraid i don't have any eta on that one.

So regarding the other stuff:  we had thread sorting fixed, but it appears to have broken again. It's being investigated and we'll have it fixed just as soon as we can identify the problem.

We've also addressed the larger issues for broken links/users but there are still outliers and I'm going to start posting specific threads for getting some details on those issues.

Again, super sorry for the inconveniences, and we're working hard on resolving issues as fast as we can. We do appreciate that you take the time to let us know what issues you encounter.

Monica

Sorry, I forgot to add that we are looking into the issues with Wikis to try to find a solution.

Monica

Dragonette wrote:

So regarding the other stuff:  we had thread sorting fixed, but it appears to have broken again. It's being investigated and we'll have it fixed just as soon as we can identify the problem.

The root cause of the issue is that Drupal is a blog platform.  Hacking it to sort by latest comment would add another subquery and just slow it down, and probably isn't going to be "upgrade safe".  See also: https://groups.drupal.org/node/36816

Unless you guys are using Drupal for a very good reason, just cut your lossses and install phpBB or something.  I assure you, a statement along the lines of "we're taking it down for a week to examine other options" will be met with applause.

Thanks for the responses! It's good to know that things are being looked after. It also appears that the profile pic problem has been resolved, so that's a small huzzah. I don't know as much about web-design as Qmark here, but if the program that's being used here is really not condusive for forums (having been designed for blogs instead, which are a "thread-creation-date-first" system), then I fully agree with him. A declaration that there'd be a week, or even two-week, long downtime in order to switch the system over to a more stable platform would be met with cheers. People are less interested in "shiny" and more interested in "functional". Having both is great, but functionality trumps every time. No one cares for the shiny car that has faulty breaks.

Qmark wrote:
The root cause of the issue is that Drupal is a blog platform

lol

Casual Play Archetypes | The Casual Play FAQ: A Guide to the Game of Magic | The Return of Group-Make-A-Deck!

Contributions are welcomed!

nogoblinsallowed.com

Join us!  

I like how one of the major issues isn't even recognized as a problem:  the absurd amount of empty space in posts and between thread titles.  I could deal with everything in the right of the screen.  The UI itself is awful.

EDIT:  But what do I know?  I've been here for over two years, but this is my seventh post.

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

RxPhantom wrote:

I like how one of the major issues isn't even recognized as a problem:  the absurd amount of empty space in posts and between thread titles.  I could deal with everything in the right of the screen.  The UI itself is awful.

UX is not a "technical issue".

Make it work, then make it pretty.  This disaster seems to have come about because they reversed the order, and couldn't even get the "pretty" part right.

Go check out the "Skin Your Forums" thread for a client-side workaound for the awful design.

Happy dance! New-Content ordering has kicked in!

Qmark wrote:
Go check out the "Skin Your Forums" thread for a client-side workaound for the awful design.

I am not a coder.  I am not going to be a coder.  I am not going to make any changes to my browser.  I am not going to add-on programs from persons unknown.

And we shouldn't be expected to do so because the people that many of us are giving money to as customers can't be bothered to alpha or beta test before implementation.

There are many many things that they've screwed up.  Yes, they should triage.  Yes, they should prioritize.  But they need to fix it.  Your solution gives them an excuse not to ever do so.  ("If they don't like the screen, f' them, they can code it in themselves." )

@Dragonette

Could you add to your Updated Issues list where on the list about activating the html codes?  Are they In Process or Planned?  I believe this is a major issue.  See the Feedback forum about my request for adding html table codes.

You have the free will to agree or disagree.
You have the ability to act freely on the above choice regardless of the consequences.

Notifications: I don't get email notification from posting by people or group i follow, i only get from groups i am administrator and when receiving private message. I also don't recall getting notification when being quoted. 

Could you add the Private Messaging fix to under the Fixed heading?

Could you add Private Messaging improvements to under the In Progress heading?

This is assuming that PM improvements are being worked on.

You have the ability to act freely on the above choice regardless of the consequences.

swmabie wrote:
Qmark wrote:

I am not a coder.  I am not going to be a coder.  I am not going to make any changes to my browser.  I am not going to add-on programs from persons unknown.

And we shouldn't be expected to do so because the people that many of us are giving money to as customers can't be bothered to alpha or beta test before implementation.

There are many many things that they've screwed up.  Yes, they should triage.  Yes, they should prioritize.  But they need to fix it.  Your solution gives them an excuse not to ever do so.  ("If they don't like the screen, f' them, they can code it in themselves." )

Though I stated this in feedback thread, I must state it here as well. The CSS skins are not an add-on program and there are no security concerns. If you bothered to read the first post of that thread, you'd see that it's not even really a hack, as browser's have made it pretty easy to define custom CSS for them. It's just script text the browser uses to style and layout a web page. It's arguable to even call it code honestly, as even somebody who's never heard of CSS and never written code in their life can very easily tweak existing CSS if not write some basic CSS themselves after using tools built into the browser (like F12 in IE, Firefox, and Chrome) to view the CSS for specific elements on the page. And that's assuming you're not happy with the CSS skin already provided that you can just copy/paste in less than a minute.

Please stop implying that we're letting Wizards of the hook by working as a community to make the best of a bad situation. Ultimately, if they don't fix things soon, particularly the more important non-visual issues that CSS alone can't fix and that therefore we must rely on them to do, they're going to start losing people for good, and that's on them. Meanwhile, providing a workaround for the visual issues should hopefully take enough heat off them for visual complaints to properly dedicate their time right now to fixing the non-visual important issues.

In fact, if I was Wizards, I'd consider referring people to the thread myself. The humility alone would be a good show of faith to the community.

Not happy with the look of the new forums? Check out the Skin Your Forums thread for a solution.

And, again, Dan:  I don't know you.  I don't know who you are.  I don't know what you may or may not be peddling.  I don't know squat about you.  And if something does go wrong. something does get screwed up, in spite of all your assurances to the contrary, then you have no liability to helping me rectify things.

And that is why Wizards should not point people to your thread.  And why you should stop advertising it in places where people are trying to actually get Wizards to work on their issues instead of passing it off as something that is "merely cosmetic so worthy of being ignored."

Unless you're going to guarantee that each and every person who does what you say to do isn't going to completely screw things up to the point that they are unable to use their browser and unable to figure out how to undo it?  And trust me, there are complete and utter morons out there in the world who would gt themselves into a paper-bag like that and not be able to code themselves out of it.

Actually that css code is a godsend for me.  Without that code I would no longer be able participate in the forums.  I have bad eyesight and need to wear glasses.  And even with glasses, I have to put my face within inches of the screen just to read due to the contrast problems.  You are right in that the css code is a bandaid, but for some of us a bandaid is needed until a cure can be found.

I know you are opposed to this bandaid and that is your complete right.  You have a valid opinion.  It is not wrong.  However, some of us need a superficial fix until a permanent fix is done.

This is my feedback on the matter to WotC:  Get that permanent fix done!  The sooner the better!  I'm also still waiting for the html codes to be activated and the html table codes to be added.

EDIT:  I apologize for my last comment.  I forgot that this is not the feedback forum.

Hey everyone,

Just  wanted to let folks know I have updated the 1st post with some new fixes. Please let us know if you continue to have any issues with those items listed.

Thanks!

Monica

Still can't see forums...

Opera 12.16

Windows 7 Enterprise x64

Reproduce issue by: using the above, clicking "DUNGEONS & DRAGONS" link (top tab), then clicking "Forums" [you can stop here and notice that you see no subforums, or select a subforum from the dropdown and notice you see no threads]

Thanks dfn77,

I had actually noticed this one today in Opera as wel, but I appreciate the additional details.

Monica

Thanks for looking into it.

In case anyone is wondering, JS is enabled, popups for this site are not blocked, plug-ins also enabled, have tried on a different Windows 7 machine with the same version of Opera and got the same result.

Still unable to delete your post in forum or other people post in group you're administrator.

The red X NEW label under a thread's replies doesn't disappear when you read newer posts and exit, unless you refresh page.

swmabie wrote:

And, again, Dan:  I don't know you.  I don't know who you are.  I don't know what you may or may not be peddling.  I don't know squat about you.  And if something does go wrong. something does get screwed up, in spite of all your assurances to the contrary, then you have no liability to helping me rectify things.

And that is why Wizards should not point people to your thread.  And why you should stop advertising it in places where people are trying to actually get Wizards to work on their issues instead of passing it off as something that is "merely cosmetic so worthy of being ignored."

These are extremely ignorant comments, and highly insulting toward arguably the single person who has done the most to be genuinely helpful in this situation, and you should apologize for them immediately.

Astromath wrote:

I know you are opposed to this bandaid and that is your complete right.  You have a valid opinion.  It is not wrong.  However, some of us need a superficial fix until a permanent fix is done.

He's entitled to his own opinion, but he's not entitled to his own facts. Being opposed to a bandaid solution is one thing, I don't agree but at least I can understand where he's coming from with that. The stuff about security concerns, on the other hand, is just objectively wrong, not to mention pointlessly insulting. That part has no validity whatsoever.
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011

jeff-heikkinen wrote:

swmabie wrote:

These are extremely ignorant comments, and highly insulting toward arguably the single person who has done the most to be genuinely helpful in this situation, and you should apologize for them immediately.

Actually, you're incorrect.  My comments are highly uninformed comments.  Because his reaction to my asking these things wasn't to answer the questions but to blow me off.  I honestly have no idea who this guy is or why he is so insistent that I and everyone else edit their own computer files.  Maybe he's a Good Samaritan.  Maybe he's an Anonymous Hacker.  Maybe he's somewhere in between.

Thus my point.  I do not know him.  I do not know his credentials.  And neither, to my current awareness, does anyone else around here.  He's being defended by multiple people who only know him as some account name.

And — as I've heard many an IT person say — if you don't know who is telling you to do something, or what exactly it is you are doing, then you really should not be doing it to your own computer.

This would be the equivalent of me showing up and start giving legal advice to people.  I can sound knowledgable.  I can even be accurate.  But you have no idea if I'm actually a lawyer or if I'm simply pulling stuff out of my arse.  And if you follow any of my legal advice and it's incorrect and you get into trouble, then you have no recourse but to accept full responsibility; I'm under no obligation whatsoever to actually be accurate, even if I were practicing law.  In the end, my intentions might be good and wholesome, and I may actually be helping in some way, but there are too many issues with what I'd be doing that you're better off ignoring my help, and I'm better off keeping my mouth shut.

So, if anything, he should be apologizing to everyone else for telling them to break the Third Rule of IT.  Or start giving his cv and stuff, so that we can do background checks, but as I would never recommend giving out personal information on the Internet, I'd rather he not go that route, though he can if he wishes.

dfn77 wrote:

In case anyone is wondering, JS is enabled, popups for this site are not blocked, plug-ins also enabled, have tried on a different Windows 7 machine with the same version of Opera and got the same result.

Javascript seems to be needed for quoting, richtext editor, and that silly animation on the front page.  Everything else appears to function adequately without it.

Opera on a mac just shows a big grey striped rectangle where threads should be.

Qmark wrote:

Which version of Opera?

swmabie, I feel I've answered your questions and you're choosing to ignore or not believe my answers. If you feel I'm blowing you off, it's because I don't feel like spending any more time or energy defending myself to a "crazy person on the internet". Because the more you say on this matter, the worse you look to everyone else on these forums. Do yourself a favor and just drop it.

dfn77 wrote:

Qmark wrote:

Which version of Opera?

About Opera
Version information
Version 12.16
Build 1860
Platform Mac OS X
System 10.7.5
Browser identification Opera/9.80 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.7.5) Presto/2.12.388 Version/12.16

I appreciate the efforts, but the extension of forums posts now extends them off the screen forcing me to scroll over to read every post. Using a kindle fire.

3DH4LIF3

http://security.stackexchange.com/questions/24163/how-dangerous-is-it-to-use-css-styles-from-an-untrusted-source

I'm not attacking anyone.  I'm not calling anyone "crazy," or demanding that they apologize for doing things they haven't done.

All I am doing is pointing out that people oughtn't be doing things to their computers on the say-so of people that they don't know.

If you're convinced it's safe, fine.  Do whatever you're going to do.  I can't stop you, and I can't stop them.

But please, stop being a cyber-bully, 'kay?  I'm not calling you crazy.  I am just saying that I don't know if you work IT for Google, or spend your time working for Anonymous, and neither does anyone else.  *shrug*  I'm not accusing you of anything.  I'm simply pointing out that, no matter how "harmless" it may seem, in this day and age anything is possible, even if you don't think otherwise.  And sometimes first aid doesn't help.

Sign In to post comments