do clerics and paladins have ranks?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello I have a cleric in the party I'm DMing and I was wondering do the divine classes use a ranking system like the Catholic church does with bishops, archbishops? Like would a cleric out rank a paladin? Thank you for any help you can offer.

Depends on the church. The more formal a church structure is, the more likely that church is to have a formal ranking system in place. I have never seen an actual breakdown in D&D for this, so you can look at the god who "powers" the cleric and take a guess as to how his/her church would be organized. IMHO, in general a cleric (priest) is going to outrank a paladin (warrior), but i am sure that the opposite case can be made easily.

Would definitely depend on the Church, as in the case of a couple of the Forgotten Realms churches Paladins make up the majority of the ranks (Tyr, Tempus, Helm).

"Well that encounter was easy....er, guys, why is the DM grinning?" (party members last words)

It's not a party till the screaming starts!

Follow me on Twitter @Vobeskhan or check out my blog http://vobeskhan.wordpress.com/

The old AD&D books are very detailled concerning these things.