Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
The new Stupid Kavu Predator Deck. The Monarchs were lying about, and the other kavu seem to have their place. Will be giving this deck a good rip in a massive free-for-all in a week or two.

The point: no-one takes Kavu Predator seriously.
The more players there are in a free-for-all, the better this deck should be. Provided there are at least four or five players, second turn Predator followed by third-turn Reverent Silence = somebody's getting scalped on the third turn. The Predators and Collapsing Borders make for a fun longer-term combo.

What this deck needs:
- less one-of's, as per usual with my decks.
- Wishmonger
- Skyshroud Cutter
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
I've been savagely beaten by a Kavu Predator before, and know it's not a laughing matter. The Predator's controller used Invigorate, which seemed to work well.

For your deck, I think it can be streamlined to work really well. Consider:

Illumination is synergistic, but it's still pretty bad. You have Reverant Silence and Seeds of Innocence to take out enchantments and artifacts, and probably should stick with a few of these only.

I have this hatred for non-Rancor auras, so I'd drop the various Shields and go with Steely Resolve to drive home the tribal theme.

Grove of the Burnwillows, Kavu Titan, and Flametongue Kavu all seem perfect in here.
4 Primstic Omen (yes, I love it too) may be excessive.

Illumination is not a good spell
Synergy or otherwise, it's strictly not that good.

Again just backing up Scum here, aura are infuriatingly fragile - they make people want to blow up the enchanted creature just because it makes you lose CA.

Steely Resolve is definitely a good call.

Maybe a little Fiery Justice to pave the way for your Kavu dude?

Invigorate is damned tasty too. 0-cost instant speed buffing is always fun.

Wall of Shards for the Defense?

Reward the Faithful *might* be playable as an instant-speed buff for the predator, but I'm not convinced as to quite how much health you want to be donating ...

Skyshroud Cutter is another cheeky dude that lets you swing for lethal on turn 2 (Assuming a game against 4 or more opponents)
Illumination is synergistic, but it's still pretty bad. You have Reverant Silence and Seeds of Innocence to take out enchantments and artifacts, and probably should stick with a few of these only.

I have this hatred for non-Rancor auras, so I'd drop the various Shields and go with Steely Resolve to drive home the tribal theme.

Grove of the Burnwillows, Kavu Titan, and Flametongue Kavu all seem perfect in here.

4 Primstic Omen (yes, I love it too) may be excessive.

Illumination is not a good spell
Synergy or otherwise, it's strictly not that good.

Again just backing up Scum here, aura are infuriatingly fragile - they make people want to blow up the enchanted creature just because it makes you lose CA.

Steely Resolve is definitely a good call.

Maybe a little Fiery Justice to pave the way for your Kavu dude?

Invigorate is damned tasty too. 0-cost instant speed buffing is always fun.

Wall of Shards for the Defense?

Reward the Faithful *might* be playable as an instant-speed buff for the predator, but I'm not convinced as to quite how much health you want to be donating ...

Skyshroud Cutter is another cheeky dude that lets you swing for lethal on turn 2 (Assuming a game against 4 or more opponents)

Good calls, all.
Yes, there are obviously a few things in here simply in lieu of better options. I really do need more Reverent Silence, and probably a better way of protecting the Kavu. Steely Resolve is good, but it's going to get waxed by the Silences once I get a few more in here.
On the other hand, I doubt I'll need more Seeds of Innocence. Maybe I use an artifact here? I have a couple of Whispersilk Cloaks as a cheap alternative to the auras for now, much as they're potentially going to have the same problem.

I'm not too sure about needing four Omens either - I'll see how it goes when it's being played. The only reason I've stuck with a playset is that I have a feeling they might become a target once Collapsing Borders is on the table.

And yes, definately need the Cutter and Grove of the Burnwillows in here. Both are right up this deck's alley.

Oh, and if my playtesting turns out to hold water in real game situations, Armistice looks like a butt-saver late game.

Oh yeah, I somehow spaced the whole Reverant Silence + Steely Resolve nonbo... So it looks like you're weighing Reverant Silence against all your Prismatic Omens, Armistice, and any protective enchantments you wish to run. While Reverant Silence is certainly a strong card, is it worth compromising all the other cards you'd like to run? Perhaps it wouldn't be a big deal to cut it and rely on tons of other life gift cards you have.
Oh yeah, I somehow spaced the whole Reverant Silence + Steely Resolve nonbo... So it looks like you're weighing Reverant Silence against all your Prismatic Omens, Armistice, and any protective enchantments you wish to run. While Reverant Silence is certainly a strong card, is it worth compromising all the other cards you'd like to run? Perhaps it wouldn't be a big deal to cut it and rely on tons of other life gift cards you have.

Hmm, excellent point.
I like the Silence because of the potential to do the following.
Turn 2: Kavu Predator
Turn 3: Reverent Silence. Predator gets 6 * X +1/+1 counters, where X is the number of opponents I have.
I will conceivably be running this in eight-player games, which gives me a third-turn 44/44 trampler to beat face with.
That said, it doesn't like the other combos too much later in the game, does it? Looks like we need to find a balance.

You need to have answers to Spike Cannibal ok not really :P just trying to scare ya.
This deck's had a little bit of run now, but not in a monster FFA yet (half my playgroup have inconsiderately been out of town).
It rolled OK in a three-player game until one of the other guys managed to get two Timber Protectors out at the same time, and cast Stonewood Invocation to nullify my attempt at Swordsing the first. Boo. Not much you can do to stop that.
But it's impressed me in duels. It actually works a lot better in a one-on-one situation than I thought it would.
And it adores having an opponent with a Sun Droplet on the board. The Predators just lap that up. And given the Droplet's popularity not only in my playgroup, but on here as well, that's a very good thing.

Yeah, Kavu Predator can be an excellent metagame call, especially if your playgroup runs way too much lifegain. I can see including it bare in a deck, just because it's a "bear" (pardon the pun) who can randomly become huge.

I've got two decks that rely heavily upon Kavu Predator. One is my Green/Black False Cure deck. Skyshroud Cutter, Reverent Silence, and maybe an Invigorate or two, and you can potentially maim or kill an entire table on turn 3 or 4 without any infinite combos. People really hate that deck, though.

The other is my GUW Questing Pheldagriff deck. It uses various "friendly" cards, like the Pheldagriff itself, which I can use to reward opponents for being nice to me, and then other cards which are playable on their own, but much better if my opponents are nice (Fact or Fiction). An issue with this deck is actually winning the game - Kavu Predator shines here. : put two +1/+1 counters on Kavu Predator is pretty awesome. Congregate also works very well for making the Predator huge (or saving my life).

This deck used to run enchantments, but they were fighting with Reverent Silence, and I decided that free Tranquility is awesome. Take that, Stasis, Ritual of Subdual, and Limited Resources! Skyshroud Cutter did not seem particularly beneficial to the deck (simply giving life to everyone indiscriminately is not my main plan), so I did not include it.

I've had another playset of Predators waiting for me to build a Kavu deck for a long time, but I keep putting it off (although I hadn't thought about 5-color with Collapsing Borders like yours). When I do, a key card I've intended for inclusion is Kavu Howler. He tops the curve and recruits more Kavu for beating down.
Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...
i flippin hate kavu predator. every time i get hit by a t3 kavu for 30+ i want to physically beat someone.

skyshroud cutter, the centaur that does the same, and your destroy enchants one. all the deck really needs.
are you from the Portland,OR/Vancouver,WA area? Join http://community.wizards.com/pdxmagic the PDX magic group.
i flippin hate kavu predator. every time i get hit by a t3 kavu for 30+ i want to physically beat someone.

Yes, like I said, my Green/Black deck with this as the goal is not popular. (The rest of the deck is efficient Green/Black aggro creatures like Ebony Treefolk; good for finishing off opponents who just lost 15-16 life from False Cure.)
skyshroud cutter, the centaur that does the same, and your destroy enchants one. all the deck really needs.

Now I'm curious. What centaur?
Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...
i wont likely see the chick that plays the deck for a day or two. but will post a reply when i do.
are you from the Portland,OR/Vancouver,WA area? Join http://community.wizards.com/pdxmagic the PDX magic group.
I like [Card]Fires of Yavimaya[/Card] for its Kavu flavor