Warp World in MP

51 posts / 0 new
Last post

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/general/Warp_World.jpg)

So I want to make a Warp World based MP deck. And since you Johnnies helped so much in my Pestilence/Swans thread I figured I'd give this a go as well.

Obviously I'm thinking of using all permanents that my Warp World can grab instead of any spells. I've read this article for inspiration and I'm wondering what creatures we could drum up that would be good for MP use. So far I've got
Bogardan Hellkite - I have 4 not being used to I figured why not.
Solemn Simulcrum - Again I have 4 not being used.
I'm going with a lot of the creatures he is using in that linked article, namely Mulldrifter, Elvish Visionary, Farhaven Elf, and Nucklavee.
I don't have enough Keeper of Progenitus so I'm substituting some Mana Reflections in as well.
I have the Siege-Gang Commander so he is a no brainer, but I'm kind of stumped on what other creatures could be abused in a deck like this.

I'm open to any and all suggestions.
imo it only needs to be green and red. because that red cost is heafty.

i would use things like

Yavimaya Elder
Yavimaya Granger
Civic Wayfinder
Sakura-Tribe Elder

Exploration
Fertile Ground
Birds of Paradise

Not sure on what you want to pop out with it though.

But the more permanent based mana accel you have the better warp is going to be when it goes off.

Moss Diamond
Fire Diamond
Mind Stone
I'm also in the process of building a Warp World deck, but I still need to get some key cards (most notably, 3 more siege-gang commanders). At first I'm going to make it for MP (read: legacy legal) but if a standard FNM comes up before lorwyn rotates, I'll also try out a standard version for duels.

I don't think the Solemn Simulacrum is that good because it won't hit the graveyard for the card when you play Warp World and it's 1 mana more than farhaven elf. Perhaps you intend to block with it but a 2/2 at 4 isn't that hot for stalling aggro. At that mana cost they have bigger things.

It sucks a bit that Blue is necessary to have some decent draw, I'm probably going to try without it mulldrifters, and just with green cantrips.

I think Yavimaya Granger is fine, but the Elder is not so great with Warp World. A graveyard trigger does nothing really and the lands also don't come into play.

Anyway, so far I came up with these choices, apart form the obvious warp world:

Wood Elves (to fetch Stomping Ground or just a forest as it's untapped)
Bogardan Hellkite
Siege-Gang-Commander
Nucklavee
Wort, the Raidmother
Goblin Chieftain (so many goblins in the deck, seems nice)
Murderous Redcap
Rise of the Hobgoblins
Lotus Bloom
Fertile Ground
Mana Reflection
Woodfall Primus/Acidic Slime
Mogg War Marshal
Loaming Shaman
Carven Caryatid/Wall of Blossoms
Boseiju, Who Shelters All, into play tapped is nasty when going off but I figure that I'll only ever "need" on the first cast anyway.

Not sure about the numbers yet, except 4x Siege-Gang, Warp World, Lotus Bloom, Wood Elves, Fertile Ground and Murderous Redcap. 2x Nucklavee, 2x Goblin Chieftain and 1-off Loaming Shaman, Wort and Boseiju.
I think I'm going to go more of a dragon route with my Warp World deck.

Bogardan Hellkite X4
Hellkite Overlord X1
Broodmate Dragon X4 & a
Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund

Plus I have a Dragon Tyrant sitting in my binder that I have dreams of flipping into the 'field with Karrthus & a Mana Reflection out. Oooo, the humanity.

I think make for good beaters.

And Redox, you think the Redcap will be that good in MP? 2 dmg when it enters the 'field is enough to make the decklist? Granted I've not played it yet, but it just seems very underwelming to me.
My warp deck runs 2 flame-kin zealot. It's pretty fun if you like gambling :D .
The dragons certainly are fine too, Dragon Tyrant with haste and untapped mana should kill something in one go for sure . Karrthus will give your dragons haste, instead of goblin chieftain giving goblins haste. I considered the dragon as well, but I figured I just have many more goblins than dragons. Though I must admit that it would be awesome in MP to flip him and steal any dragon (including lorwyn shapeshifters! :D) that others might flip .

Yes, redcap is great. I play him in a Grixis control deck and in MP it's not just it's "flip-value", it's also a great 4drop that comes in shooting a creature (preferably), block to probably trade with something bigger or to take out another utility creature, while still providing you with a permanent for Warp World in this deck.
Naturally, in the grixis deck it really shines with Makeshift Mannequin and Torrent of Souls, but it should be quite good here too, to shoot creatures that your opponents might flip. Not to mention that you can sac him for 2 dmg with siege-gang commander and have him persist for 1 more :D. Possibly for more with a chieftain out.

Flame-kin zealot seemed quite interesting but then goblin chieftain was spoiled, which does more or less the same but not as a citp effect , at least in my deck.
Point proven with the redcap. I'll definitely give it a go and see how it turns out.
When I looked at cards for my Warp World deck, I looked at cards that provided you with a high number of permanents per card, or eliminated a high number of an opponents permanents per card. Since 2010 rules eliminate the Hunted creatures from consideration, list is at least 5 cards shorter.

The cards that haven't been mentioned yet...
Fists of Ironwood-3 permanents for one card is great. Make sure you enchant an opponents creature with it since you don't want to run the risk of losing a creature of your own to a 2 for 1. It also has a great permanent:mana ratio of 1.5. Few cards can beat this ratio {Hunted Phantasm used to be 2.0, and Sarcomancy still works for .
Saproling Burst-A possible 7 permanents by removing 6 counters. The Saprling Burst doesn't work well with Doubling Season in a deck like this since it doesn't double the fading counters when it and Saproling Burst both warp into play. You could combine this with the classic Pandamonium since only you would get the benefit of Pandamonium since enchantments come into play after all other permanents.
Sundering Titan-The bane of multiplayer tables everywhere. While only a single permanent, the Titan can potentially destroy up to 10 of your opponents permanents, 5 when it enters play from the first WW, and 5 more after the second WW makes it leave play.
How many finishers does a deck like this need? In the article I linked in the OP, the decklist used 2 it looked like.

I was wanting to use like I mentioned Bogardan Hellkite, Karrthsu, Tyrant of Jund, & Dragon Tyrant, but my deck may run out of room fast if I crowd too many finishers.
I think you should focus on going off (I will, at least ) and when you get to reveal 15+ cards (and increasing, certainly with Rise of the Hobgoblins, hehe), you'll see your win conditions often enough to burn everyone out. Even though fx Dragon Tyrant can do a tonne of dmg, it's only to one opponent so after attacking you'll want to cast Warp World again and again (if you can) anyway. Besides that, Karrthus is legendary so flipping more than 1 removes them from the warp world-pool (play + deck). This is also why I will only play 1 Wort, the Raidmother (also a goblin making goblins, btw ;)).

I considered Fists of Ironwood but I'm running into a classic problem I have: trying to stuff too many things in thereby watering down the entire deck.. . Mogg war marshal also gives 3 permanents for 2 (though I admit you'll never have 3 at the same time)and it's a goblin and early blocker that is more effective to block with (block with war marshal, get a new token, instead of just losing 1 saproling).
Again, point proven. I'll probably replace the Dragon Tyrant with Broodmate Dragon instead, I do have 4 of those buggers lying around. May have to keep a single Karrthus in though alongside my Bogardan Hellkites. Although the Hellkites are probably my win condition with the 5 points of damage as they come in.

Is that what your seeing happen with my deck Redox?
What about Laquatus's Champion? :D
if you run 4x Volcanic Geyser with Worldgorger Dragon

That would cause infinite mana right if you happen to pull at least 1 land in the sweep then instant speed geyser?

Fault Line for massive kill.

Fireball if you want massive kill and you stack the gorgers correctly upon coming into play.
Yes, depending on how many opponents you have (left), you can probably kill most of them in 1 go when you happen to hit Karrthus. It's a citp trigger, like broodmate dragon, so if you stack it right you'll also give the tokens haste.

Let's say you're going off like a nutter and flip all of them (not such a strange idea when you reveal 30+ or so), then you get to attack with 8 4/4's, 2 5/5's that already did 5 each + karrthus himself and whatever dragon you steal. Even if you can't loop the Warp World, you should have a dominant board position with dragons in play .

Speaking of looping, I think that in MP you will certainly need Nucklavee to keep going.

Too bad the academic year ended, won't really be able to try out the deck for a month or so .

Interesting combo with Worldgorger Dragon, but I think that most infinite mana combos aren't really appreciated in MP, though I must admit there's at least some interaction with this one ;).
Interesting combo with Worldgorger Dragon, but I think that most infinite mana combos aren't really appreciated in MP, though I must admit there's at least some interaction with this one ;).

well at least it isn't turn 1 or 2 :D

also...

Pandemonium + Angelic Chorus

Use Scroll Rack or Sensei's Divining Top to keep unwanted cards you never intend on casting in your deck and dig for warp.
I use creatures that search for land and put them into play and creatures that create token creatures (not hunted creatures) and then kyren negotiations FTW.

I have only lost once after casting WW, all the other games were a win once WW resolved for the first time.

anarchist guardian of cloverdell
Well in today's article he updates the decklist with M10 cards and both [c]
Bogardan Hellkite[/c] & Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund make the decklist. Woo hoo!

Also of note, he uses Regal Force as his card drawing engine, which is a pretty good idea & drops the blue altogether.

He also added Wort, the Raidmother, kudos Redox, but my question is conspiring a Warp World? How does that happen? Does it all just go off and then after the first resolves you count up your permanents again & do it again?

And then Kitchen Finks also made the cut which is probably a good idea.

But why does he have Bloodbraid Elf? I thought Cascade only works when you cast the Elf.
I read it too (and posted in its thread). I was mildly disappointed to see the only M10 difference was Hellkite, which everyone and their mother saw coming anyway. Cool that Karrthus was included, though .

I question the inclusion of kitchen finks as he never needed the life and redcap can do better things for board control. In MP this is another matter and you can probably use the lifegain there. I wanted to include kitchen finks as well, but I'd rather try it without first, as I have enough space issues already. I'd also never go for fewer than 4 Siege-gang commanders as they do all sorts of good things, with or without WW.

Regal force is nice indeed, but my version has few green creatures, though I can always put painter's servant in, of course ;).

As for conspiring warp world: yep. Both are put on the stack and you resolve them one at a time. Of course you do get to resolve all citp triggers from the first warp world before the second resolves.

BB elf is there to build up to WW, mainly by fetching accel but also simply by providing another way of getting 2 permanents for the price of 1 card. It's a really nice addition, actually, because cascade is practically a cantrip that you get to play for free. I think it would work better without the finks, certainly in duels where you can just have the finks SB for when it's actually needed.
but my question is conspiring a Warp World? How does that happen? Does it all just go off and then after the first resolves you count up your permanents again & do it again?

Yep, you just resolve it once, then do the whole priority/stack thing, and then get to resolve it again.

So any haste-ping / kyren negotiations shenanigans get to happen between the two resolutions, and you get to punish everyone else for playing non-permanents in their deck twice over.

(You should stay at the same number of permanents or more, due to CitP tokens, while they keep decreasing because they flip "spells" ... amateurs)
I just played last night against a Hive Mind + Warp World deck. Crazy. Just crazy.
I just played last night against a Hive Mind + Warp World deck. Crazy. Just crazy.

That is just wrong.

That is epicly wrong ....

I love it.
I'm glad you posted about this because I too am building a multiplayer Warp World deck and was about to make a new thread.

I too was inspired by last week's article and built the deck as listed to check it out, and it is pretty amazing. I also tried it with 4 Mogg War Marshals before I got my hands on the Murderous Redcaps and still seemed to work pretty well.

After today's article I decided to update my deck, but I thought some of the choices were odd. It seems like the Kitchen Finks wouldn't be as good as the Redcaps, but they might be better for multiplayer. That point is moot though since I don't have any Finks and I don't want to pay the prices they're currently going for. I also didn't like the reduction of the Siege-Gang Commanders.

At any rate here's the build I'm currently considering:

I haven't tested this build so I don't know if it'll be as awesome as the one from last week, but I'm trying to make it more versatile. I've read that some are comparing it to a Jund ramp deck and it does seem like one in some respects, but being able to just go off and kill a player or two or three seems like a really nice bonus especially in multiplayer.

I find myself wanting to pick up a Regal Force or two and throwing them into the deck since I cut down on the drawing and thinning by a couple of cards. Someone also mentioned Reliquary Tower which seems like it would fit nicely in the deck as well.

A singleton Loaming Shaman might be useful as well. I think Eternal Witness would definitely be better than Nucklavee, but I think I'm going to try to keep my deck as a Standard deck as much as possible because I don't have many of those.

So what do you think I should add or remove? This is before I've done any playtesting with it so it may become obvious as I play with the deck what I need to change, but I'd like to hear everyone's opinions.

I do have the cards to bring the following cards up to full playsets of 4 each:

Bloodbraid Elf
Elvish Visionary
Farhaven Elf
Fertile Ground
Keeper of Progenitus
Trace of Abundance

I also have another Woodfall Primus and am planning on picking up a couple of Regal Forces.

So how should I tweak my deck?
Honestly, karnblack, your decklist looks very, very similar to what I'm going to do with mine.

I know I'm going to try and squeeze in a couple Regal Forces, and insead of Trace of Abundance I'm going to go with Darksteel Ignot.

Thanks for the idea of the Eternal Witness, I have a spare one lying around that I'm going to use in this deck along with a single Loaming Shaman.

I've yet to put mine together yet, but I will soon and will post my decklist and let you guys know how it plays out in my MP group.
I'd pick the best aura and go with 4 of those and 2 of the other instead of 3/3. In this case, I'd go for 4x fertile ground as it's the easiest to cast and unless you have much LD in your meta, it's functionally equal to trace anyway. In general I wonder whether you have enough accel with only 3 of farhaven elf/fertile ground/trace of abundance.

Do you really feel you need all those 3-ofs and wouldn't rather have 4? In general I take a multitude of 3'ofs as a sign of indecision and lack of focus :P.

@Nevik
Why darksteel ignot? Do you specifically need indestructible? If not, then i'd go for 2-mana costing artifacts such as Gruul Signet to not mess up your curve. Not like you need more than those 2 colours anyway (fertile ground should be enough for the rare occasion that you want to cast Karrthus).

I forgot to mention Eternal Witness in my first post here but I"ll certainly use 2 of those in the MP, non-standard, version of the deck.
Even though I won't be able to test my deck in a while, I'll soon post a list with what I'll be going with, perhaps with some goldfishing tests .
Okay, here's another build I'm considering:

+1 Bloodbraid Elf
+1 Elvish Visionary
+1 Farhaven Elf
+1 Fertile Ground
+1 Trace of Abundance

-2 Keeper of Progenitus
-1 Murderous Redcap
-1 Woodfall Primus
-1 Wort, the Raidmother

It's more focused and gets rid of the versatility in favor of going more aggro.

I'll probably add a couple of Regal Forces in place of a couple of Elvish Visionary when I get a chance to pick them up.

Thoughts?

Edit:

Updated deck:

+1 Island
+4 Mulldrifter

-1 Forest
-4 Elvish Visionary

[deck=Warp World]
Land (22)
12*Forest
1*Island
9*Mountain

Creatures (26)
4*Bloodbraid Elf
4*Bogardan Hellkite
2*Broodmate Dragon
4*Farhaven Elf
1*Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund
4*Mulldrifter
3*Murderous Redcap
4*Siege-Gang Commander

Other Spells (12)
4*Fertile Ground
4*Trace of Abundance
4*Warp World
[/deck]

I wanted to cascade into ramp and not card draw. I'm going to stick with this build for now...I think. With the Mulldrifters I may not need Regal Forces.
Here is my current decklist with some early observations below.

Creatures:
Bogardan Hellkite - Kind of obvious and awesome wincon.
Siege-Gang Commander - 4 permanents for the price of one. Only running 3 because my 1 Wort is in this for testing.
Farhaven Elf - 2 permanents for the price of one. And mana accel.
Eternal Witness - I like her 'cause she is green for the Regal Force, but dislike her 'cause my Bloodbraids can cascade into her.
Elvish Visionary - Cheap cantrips = good.
Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund - This guy is going to destroy one player when he hits the board with 2 Double Dragons being flipped alongside a few Hellkites
Wort, the Raidmother - Conspiring a Warp World is awesome! Thank you Redox for this suggestion. She is also green along with her little buddies to fuel the Regal.
Bloodbraid Elf - This guy is really only for mana accel. He is also green to fuel the Regal. I wish there were something better I could use with an actual CitP affect. I've even thought of replacing this guy with Wood Elves.
Regal Force - I have drawn 15+ cards with this guy hitting the table before.
Broodmate Dragon - 2 Dragons for the price of one! Sign me up.
Loaming Shaman - I like him for the obvious reasons, hate him cuz my Cascader can grab him.
Keeper of Prgenitus - I like this guy over Mana Reflections since he is a creature and helps fuel the Regal.

PERMANENTS:
Darksteel Ingot - I like being able to hardcast Double Dragon or Karrthus if need be and it is indestrucible to boot which helps in my meta.
Fertile Ground - Similar to above.
*NOTE* I'm tinkering with numbers currently and I will fine-tune this as I play it.
SPELLS:
Warp World - Kind of obvious.
LANDS:
If I had the old duels I would run them with the Ravnica shocklands and swap out my Farhaven Elves with Wood Elves, but alas I don't.
Fists of Ironwood would be cool in here
Should have 4xBurning Wish, and a Bosijeuo0saud (that Kamigawa land that makes spells uncounterable.)

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Why Burning Wish? That's 4 more slots that can't be flipped into play and once you cast your first Warp World, you should be able to proceed either through drawing a new one or returning the one you used.

The land you meant is called Boseiju, Who Shelters All and I'll include it as I do have some counterspells in my meta (hi Cryptic Command ).

Unfortunately space limitations forced me to cut down to 1 witness, 3 murderous redcaps and no room for mogg war marshals or woodfall primus. Untested as yet (not even complete hehe) but this seems ok to me. No idea how the lotus will play but there's some synergy at least .

@Nevik
No Murderous Redcaps? Think you'd rather have 4 SGC than 4 hellkites.

@karnblack
Seems a good one to switch to mulldrifters instead of visionary for bloodbraid elf so you only hit accel. Have you tested it yet? Do you miss gy recursion of warp world?
I still think the enchantment I suggested is pro.

Its 3 for 1.
If I were you, I'd try to find room for some copies of Enslave. Going off repeatably is bad in MP, making the game boring IMO. Besides, you don't know what kind of dirty permanents your opponents will get to put into play. Enslave will allow you to pick some good creatures for your own usage.

I would also consider Faith's Fetters (for protection and a little lifegain) and/or Nettlevine Blight (for pure fun!).

Good luck with the deck!
@Nevik
No Murderous Redcaps? Think you'd rather have 4 SGC than 4 hellkites.

They are in my "to test" pile that also includes things like Woodfall Primus. The decklist I posted is by no means my final version. ;)
Lotus Bloom

Don't play lotus bloom you want your mana producers to stick for WW
Don't play lotus bloom you want your mana producers to stick for WW

I could be wrong, but I think he's planning on flipping the Lotus Bloom with the WW so as to avoid the suspend mechanic & have 3 colored mana
I could be wrong, but I think he's planning on flipping the Lotus Bloom with the WW so as to avoid the suspend mechanic & have 3 colored mana

Very good point, that could produce some massive combos.

Also, while I'm looking at it here.. would Deranged Hermit just rock this deck?
Deranged Hermit

Holy BeJeebus! I wish I had some of those buggers. 5 permanents for one, he makes the SGC look like a weenie. Also he is green as are the squirrels which feeds the Regal Force and the card drawing from him. Beautiful. I need to get some of those dudes.
Holy BeJeebus! I wish I had some of those buggers. 5 permanents for one, he makes the SGC look like a weenie. Also he is green as are the squirrels which feeds the Regal Force and the card drawing from him. Beautiful. I need to get some of those dudes.

Even more fun with Kiki-Jiki.

Also, you run into the problem that you might draw yourself out with Regal Force. Just to make you aware ;)

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Also, you run into the problem that you might draw yourself out with Regal Force. Just to make you aware ;)

This is what I would be afraid of.

What about?

Noggle Ransacker
Skullmulcher - this seems a little more controlled.

Spellgorger Barbarian - not sure on this one, but triggers if leaves play.

on a separate note...

Saproling Burst

*Note*, Mown you are exactly right. Testing using the Deranged Hermit instead of the SGC, I decked myself several times with Regal Force, so I will keep SGC instead. Just wanted to throw that out there.
*Note*, Mown you are exactly right. Testing using the Deranged Hermit instead of the SGC, I decked myself several times with Regal Force, so I will keep SGC instead. Just wanted to throw that out there.

IMO, ditch the forces. Do you really need that much card draw? Could you survive with packing say wall of blossoms? granted I know it isn't nearly the same but its good defense. Besides with the hermits AND SGC would't that send the deck into a spiral the correct way rather than worrying about recasting another warp?