Conflux: Best Multiplayer Cards

31 posts / 0 new
Last post
With a nod to The Ferrett once more...

Now that prerelease is over, and the cards are all spoiled (and no-one has anywhere to hide anymore), IYHO, what are the best cards in Conflux for multiplayer?

I've heard nods to Blood Tyrant already.
I just know that I'm going to be seeing Rotting Rats by the playset in my group in the very near future, though. What an awesome MP card. And common!

Fire away!
--------------------------------------------------
Votes
4 - Giltspire Avenger
4 - Rotting Rats
3 - Ethersworn Adjudicator
3 - Meglonoth
2 - Blood Tyrant
2 - Child of Alara
2 - Exotic Orchard
2 - Master Transmuter
2 - Volcanic Fallout
1 - Banefire
1 - Charnelhoard Wurm
1 - Gluttonous Slime
1 - Infectious Horror
1 - Malfegor
1 - Martial Coup
1 - Mirror-Sigil Sergeant
1 - Nyxathid
1 - Path to Exile
1 - Progenitus
1 - Rakka Mar
1 - Reliquary Tower
1 - Scepter of Fugue
1 - Scornful Aether-Lich
1 - Skyward Eye Prophets
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
[CARD]Meglonoth[/CARD] has some serious potential. I'm also partial to [CARD]martial coup[/CARD] and [CARD]banefire[/CARD].
Volcanic Fallout for superior board wiping.
Volcanic Fallout for superior board wiping.

this x 4!
I'm actually a big fan of skyward eye prophets.
Giltspire Avenger is a good rattlesnake

its a shame though, I remember when choosing the best MP cards from a set used to be challenging. With blood tyrant and infectious horror, i feel like a lot of subtlety has been lost.
I disagree Feigned. Infectious Horror is very weak at 2/2 for four mana. Even if he gets a swing off, he's very apt to die as he does. In a sense, he's too little too late. Blood Tyrant has the same problem. While he may SEEM strong, just think about what else could be done with the mana (Prince of Thrulls, Plague Wind). He is going to hit the table, and for one full round anyone who can kill him, will. There are plenty of other devastating effects for his mana cost. In a sense, he is also too little too late. I'm not convinced that either of them are the top MP cards.

The Giltspire Avenger on the other hand, is amazing. Not only is a rattlesnake that still allows other people to be attacked at will, but Exalted promotes attacking with one, strong creature while leaving defense. This attack + defend + rattlesnake strategy all mixed in one card makes it a high multiplayer pick. Almost all of this applies to Meglonoth as well.

Malfegor I'm on the fence on. All too often I'd rather just Decree of Pain, because he does nothing to THEIR hand. Since he will be the ONLY threat, he will be removed if at all possible.
My guide to Black multiplayer cards and strategies: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/18893722?sdb=1&post_num=1#322195706 My guide to Red multiplayer cards and strategies: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28999213/?sdb=1&post_num=1#517562879 My guide to White multiplayer cards and strategies http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29011349/?sdb=1&pg=last#517773211 My guide to Green multiplayer cards and strategies http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29034323/Tichs_Guide_to_Green_Multiplayer_Cards_and_Strategies
The obvious ones have been stated ie. Rotting Rats I can't wait to get some of these guys! Blood Tyrant is nuts. Especially when you Zombify him on turn 4 after a Buried Alive.

I have to agree with Tich that the Giltspire Avenger is bonkers. He is what the Royal Assassin wished he could be. He gives bonuses to your other creatures while sitting there. He doesn't stall games, he just make people not want to attack you. Whereas the Assassin made everyone afraid to attack because you could just destroy their creature anyway. Is he the best I don't think so.

I think the Charnelhoard Wurm should get some sort of mention. I don't think he's the best either, but a fairly easy way to recur any card in your 'yard is awesome, especially in MP. Not to mention he does hit for 6.

Child of Alara may be the best. Wrath effects are always nice, especially when they hit for 6.
I think the child is quite good, simply because it's a 6/6 trample that begs to be killed.

Martial Coup is probably very good as well, I'll put it in some white/x control decks for sure.

Malfegor needs a specific deck I think, something that isn't bothered too much by discarding cards. This automatically leads to something like madness or easy recursion from the gy. I have a Worm Harvest deck (see the topic in this forum) that probably qualifies for the last one. I imagine it will be quite satisfying to return Malfegor into play and punish everyone with indestructible heavy hitters. Sure, it won't help against other token decks but I have Damnation and Pernicious Deed as well ^^. You can never have too much mass destruction in multiplayer, imho.

It also seems that turbo decks have another toy in Font of Mythos.
The most obvious cards are those with "each player" or "each opponent" on them (and since they have all been named I wont name them).

I truly like Rakka Mar because repeatable token making is pretty strong in multiplayer so she has to be dealt with or I will get an army.
If you play her with 1 red open you can always make sure you do still get a token if she sees play (you get priority before others so split second has no sway).

And for anyone who ever gets him in play (which I will do this weekend :D ): [C]Progenitus[/c]

And just plain good (but going to the farm remains better often):Path to Exile
Kamikazegerbil wrote: Coke Spill Level 1 Encounter Attack Power Trigger: You must be pouring yourself a drink Range: Close Blast 1D10 from Player Target: All creatures and objects within blast Attack: Any vs. Reflex Hit: 1d6 Fizzy damage and target is wet (save ends) Aftereffect: Target is sticky (save ends)
Conflux has potential if you have long games. There it just tutors for five and should win you the game.
Cumber Stone is possible if you face a lot of tokens. A lot of people will kill you for nerfing their creatures though.
Exotic Orchard for some really neat manafixing.
Extractor Demon is really interesting. Unearth +Damnation?
Gwafa Hazid, Profiteer is picking my interest.
Magister Sphinx can be good if someone in your playgroup will keep on playing lifegain. Or it can help someone else should you need it.
Mark of Asylum is a possibility.

My winners are Exotic Orchard and Rotting Rats though.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

I disagree Feigned. Infectious Horror is very weak at 2/2 for four mana. Even if he gets a swing off, he's very apt to die as he does. In a sense, he's too little too late. Blood Tyrant has the same problem. While he may SEEM strong, just think about what else could be done with the mana (Prince of Thrulls, Plague Wind). He is going to hit the table, and for one full round anyone who can kill him, will. There are plenty of other devastating effects for his mana cost. In a sense, he is also too little too late. I'm not convinced that either of them are the top MP cards.

Hmm, I think the power of Infectious Horror would depend on the playgroup. If he is ritual'd into play turn 2, he has a good chance to do a good deal of damage until it dies (assuming of course that the increased number of opponents provide an increase of attack-survival opportunities). Still, I certainly agree that as a stand-alone card, it is far from being the best.

I share the same feelings with blood tyrant. The only reason I would prefer to have him over plague wind though is that, alone, plague wind will not win you the game; it needs something else to do it for you. That being said, blood tyrant won't save you from losing either, which is what plague wind will do :D .

That brings us to malfegor. He is kind of like plague wind only that you lose your hand to play it. However, unlike plague wind, it, as a stand-alone card, gives you a way to win. It certainly doesn't hit their hand and thus makes it prone to removal but timed correctly, malfegor, if it doesn't win the game for you, can certainly send in in that direction.
Giltspire Avenger can only kill one creature a turn though. While it'll redirect SOME people, if people want to kill you, one dead creature a turn won't stop a lot of staple decks.
Giltspire Avenger can only kill one creature a turn though. While it'll redirect SOME people, if people want to kill you, one dead creature a turn won't stop a lot of staple decks.

That isn't a very good argument on to whether a card is good or bad. Just about the same arguement can be made for just about any creature ever printed.

Let's pick Progenitus, he is getting a lot of hype. You cast him and everyone at the table gets scared because you just 'put them on the clock' so to speak, so they all attack you, killing you.

Blood Tyrant another one, actually mentioned in this thread. You cast him, thus doing damage to everyone every turn (ie making everyone mad) and growing a very large creature. Everyone gets mad and attacks you.

Bad example. The Giltspire Avenger is a rattlesnake card, it makes people fearful of attacking you and looking elsewhere.
Giltspire Avenger will never save you when the game comes down to the line. If people are casting big creatures only and you are gaining a huge amount of life, sure, he'll lock a player out of the game. But he will never save you from combined hatred. Cards like Martial Coup are great. Child of Alara could be too. Maelstrom Angel might own as well. But Giltspire Avenger will not hold your fort in multiplayer. Which is what people were saying he could.
Actually Giltspire Avenger can hold the fort in the deck he is supposed to be used in. Bant Exalted. Your obviously only attacking with one creature thus leaving back more for defense. And let's not forget that he is in white as well, which has access to some of the best removal.

I know my wife's Bant deck can't wait to its hands on a few of these guys. Repeatable removal is a good thing the last time I checked. Oh which reminds me of another card I'm liking a lot, Ethersworn Adjudicator.
I like:
Scornful Aether-Lich
Ethersworn Adjudicator
Master Transmuter
Nyxathid
Reliquary Tower and
Scepter of Fugue

But overall this set does not excite me much. I think Shards was the best set in the past few years for having a lot of fun multiplayer cards.
Exotic Orchard of course wins something as a painless City of Brass is generally good, I hear.

Rotting Ratss wins the "obviously multiplayer" award. Mindslicer's kid brother helps make MP discard more viable.

Meglonoth wins the "fatty boom-boom" award. vigilant trampling blampling MoFo. This is what you play after you play a few removal sponges. Absolute house, this is why you play Chaos MP. To play guys like this.

Gluttonous Slime, I think that it might not be the best, but it will merit testing. Green-based deck's Greater Gargadon-like payoff to Mutilate, Firespout, etc... or it is like a modern Caller of the Claw. Mass removal proofing. Or just general I'll Path to Exile that... 'kay, just give me a 3/3.
Having now seen him in action in multiplayer, I'm also now putting a vote in for Mirror-Sigil Sergeant. He only needs one player's defense to be down, and he becomes everyone's problem very quickly.

Having now seen him in action in multiplayer, I'm also now putting a vote in for Mirror-Sigil Sergeant. He only needs one player's defense to be down, and he becomes everyone's problem very quickly.

I don't get that. The copy ocmes in the upkeep as long as you control a blue permanent. Who cares about any defences?? You just have to survive long enough to get a lot of tokens and you need some protection against mass destruction.
Kamikazegerbil wrote: Coke Spill Level 1 Encounter Attack Power Trigger: You must be pouring yourself a drink Range: Close Blast 1D10 from Player Target: All creatures and objects within blast Attack: Any vs. Reflex Hit: 1d6 Fizzy damage and target is wet (save ends) Aftereffect: Target is sticky (save ends)
I don't get that. The copy ocmes in the upkeep as long as you control a blue permanent. Who cares about any defences?? You just have to survive long enough to get a lot of tokens and you need some protection against mass destruction.

Yeah, don't mind me. I was thinking he worked like Spawnwrithe at first. He's actually much better.
Vote list added at the top. ;)

I <3 the Angry Baby
I'm actually a big fan of skyward eye prophets.
its a shame though, I remember when choosing the best MP cards from a set used to be challenging. With blood tyrant and infectious horror, i feel like a lot of subtlety has been lost.

I agree. I don't need crass MP cards; they "dumb down" the format. That said, I don't think that Blood Tyrant and Infectious Horror are that over the top, nothing like Blatant Thievery.
i miss ferrett so much... :P
i miss ferrett so much... :P

agreed
Hugest gorilla? Progenitus, no doubt.

Best performance, though, I think goes to Ethersworn Adjudicator. I didn't think of it until I read Kevin's post, but the more I DO think about it, the more I like the card. He a) flies and beats for four with pseudo-vigilance, which is fine on its own, and b) kills creatures un-threateningly. I mean, yeah, creatures are going to die, but it's just one per turn, right? The Adjudicator doesn't spark RETALIATION, per se, just annoyance.

Plus the art is cool.
"Just one per turn" ? Not to mention it can be more than that, I doubt anyone would not feel threatened when someone can repeatedly kill any creature without protection from blue/artifacts, indestructible or regeneration. Oh, and it hits for 4 in the air too.

Trust me, it will not see its controller's untap phase unless they have no removal at all .
Trust me, it will not see its controller's untap phase unless they have no removal at all .

Which means it has another cool ability. Sac it & it forces an opponent to discard a removal on it. :P
Just got done a few emperor games..
Master Transmuter owned very hard with third turn Darksteel Colossuses and Inkwell Leviathans
"Just one per turn" ? Not to mention it can be more than that, I doubt anyone would not feel threatened when someone can repeatedly kill any creature without protection from blue/artifacts, indestructible or regeneration. Oh, and it hits for 4 in the air too.

I KNOW TEH ANSWER PRIVILEGED POSITION!
With a nod to The Ferrett once more...

Now that prerelease is over, and the cards are all spoiled (and no-one has anywhere to hide anymore), IYHO, what are the best cards in Conflux for multiplayer?

I've heard nods to Blood Tyrant already.
I just know that I'm going to be seeing Rotting Rats by the playset in my group in the very near future, though. What an awesome MP card. And common!

Fire away!
--------------------------------------------------
Votes
4 - Giltspire Avenger
4 - Rotting Rats
3 - Ethersworn Adjudicator
3 - Meglonoth
2 - Blood Tyrant
2 - Child of Alara
2 - Exotic Orchard
2 - Master Transmuter
2 - Volcanic Fallout
1 - Banefire
1 - Charnelhoard Wurm
1 - Gluttonous Slime
1 - Infectious Horror
1 - Malfegor
1 - Martial Coup
1 - Mirror-Sigil Sergeant
1 - Nyxathid
1 - Path to Exile
1 - Progenitus
1 - Rakka Mar
1 - Reliquary Tower
1 - Scepter of Fugue
1 - Scornful Aether-Lich
1 - Skyward Eye Prophets

I've played against Rakka Mar and she's quite effective, also effective Ethersworn adjudicator. It also really depends on how the deck is built around these cards. cliffrunner behemoth can be a beast in the right deck. Lifelink gets you through in multiplayer, add in doublestrike and your in business. Also tokens are popular in my playgroup so volcanic fallout is a beautifull card.

I'd like to suggest a new card as well Yoke of the damned This card is designed for multiplayer. You can sac etc or just let it be and someone else will take care of it.
Sign In to post comments