Is a Soldier Deck Viable?

41 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have been working on a zombie deck and am tempted to build a soldier deck along side it. Soldiers seem amazing but the late game of FFA can be very unforgiving.

Soldier Class
Pros
- a large pool of great creatures
- vigilance helps secure offense and defense
- lots of pumping available
- select creature, artifact, and enchantment removal in white
Cons
- no bonus from things in graveyard
- lacks card draw by being in white

Regardless of the horrible feeling that after turn four things will get incredibly ugly I created a draft of the deck. It is all based on what looks good on paper so several things will probably need replacing or editing on numbers.

Deck: 64 Cards
Creatures: 35
2 x Cho-Arrim Legate
4 x Deftblade Elite
3 x Frontline Strategist
2 x Catapult Squad
2 x Jotun Grunt
2 x Sunstrike Legionnaire
4 x Field Marshal
2 x Reborn Hero
3 x Preeminent Captain
3 x Soltari Champion
4 x Daru Warchief
2 x Enlistment Officer
2 x Glory

Enchantments: 7
3 x Mobilization
4 x Shared Triumph

Artifacts: 2
2 x Mind's Eye

Lands: 20
14 x Plains
2 x Daru Encampment
2 x Flagstones of Trokair
2 x Remote Farm

In a way it feels like a deck gone wrong as some of the holes are quite apparent. Lacks artifact/enchantment destruction as well as some spot creature removal. The creatures however shouldn't be hard to get into play with Preeminent Captain and Daru Warchief's help.

Sadly enough I still want to keep adding creature cards to the deck even though it won't help. Best this current deck can hope for is to kill the person with wrath effects first and hope the bad/mediocre card draw can maintain a late game. Input would be beyond appreciated as white has never been my strong suite and multiplayer only amplifies it. I added cards that seemed good for the deck and little notes about them below if that helps give people ideas.

Creatures

0 Mana
Cho-Arrim Legate - protection and free to play if someone is playing black in multiplayer...

1 mana
Deftblade Elite - has provoke, can distract biggest blocker and live, and blocks large creatures without trample.
Frontline Strategist - one-shot wonder
Gustcloak Runner - pro is he can't die while attacking but that means no dmg
Icatian Javelineers - one time ping is great but overshadowed by Deftblade Elite's provoke.
Mosquito Guard - Boros Recruit with reinforce
Nomads en-Kor - hard to kill
Soltari Foot Soldier - pro is he will hit every time and con is no blocking

2 Mana
Ballyrush Banneret - nice early reduction but overshadowed later by Daru Warchief
Catapult Squad - ability can be used same turn he comes out and allows for some interesting tricks.
Jotun Grunt - 4/4 beater which kills threshold, dredge, reanimation, and mill decks.
Sunstrike Legionnaire - 2nd ability explodes in multiplayer and he creates routes for soldiers to attack
Veteran Armorer - passive defense pump
Longbow Archer - bats off fliers

3 Mana
Field Marshal - gives first strike and pumping
Gustcloak Harrier - evasion and can retreat
Lieutenant Kirtar - evasion and a great one time removal
Reborn Hero - can live through everything with threshold and doesn't come back tapped
Aven Riftwatcher - evasion with 4 life
Kithkin Zephyrnaut - evasion and self pump if lucky
Preeminent Captain - ... free creatures ...
Soltari Champion - evasion and pumps other creatures

4 Mana
Daru Warchief - play creatures for less and everything gets Holy Strength
Commander Eesha - evasion with protection from creatures
Loxodon Gatekeeper - slows opponents down a turn and leaves Sunstrike Legionnaire to pick easier targets
Enlistment Officer - one of the few card drawings available
Benalish Commander - */* that creates tokens when suspended.

+5 Mana
Catapult Master - constant removal that pairs well with vigilance
Conclave Phalanx - life gain with convoke for easier play
Stormfront Riders - evasion with 2 soldier tokens
Conclave Equenaut - evasion with convoke for easier play
Darien, King of Kjeldor - creates tons of tokens if you are taking a beating...
Noble Templar - Plainscycling

Other
Glory - actually has a use in GY and can do wonderful things for your creatures.
Brass Herald - search for cards and pumps creatures

Spells

Decree of Justice - late game angels or cycles for tokens
Renewed Faith - life or some life with cycling
Piety Charm - toolbox of aura destruction, single pump, or all creatures get vigilance
Raise the Alarm - 2 for 2 1/1s that both benefit from all the pumping
Prismatic Strands - selective fog that stops someone twice
Swords to Plowshares - standard white creature removal
Bathe in Light - one time effect of glory's ability
Sivvi's Ruse - works like Frontline Strategist but for free if there is a red deck at the table.
Abolish - slightly more costly disenchant but with a great draw engine could be free and picked back up by Jotun Grunt.
Master Warcraft - interesting...

Enchantments

Mobilization - vigilance for all plus token generator
Militia's Pride - creates attacking soldiers
Shared Triumph - exclusive pump for creature type
Armored Ascension - evasion with hefty pump
Oblivion Ring - removal
Aura of Silence - great for keeping opponents' artifacts/enchantments off the board
Concerted Effort - creatures share abilities
Crusade - white creature pump
Divine Sacrament - crusade with threshold which adds an additional +1/+1
Worship - keeps you alive which is essential. Glory, Raise the Alarm, and Mobilization will help keep the card working.

Artifacts

Slate of Ancestry - effective card draw that fails to work after board is cleared.
Mind's Eye - card draw that you control with mana
Veteran's Armaments - neglects equip cost and works well with aggro and shadow

Planeswalker

*Included for the sake of being here and won't be in deck because of big targets and cost*
Ajani Goldmane - slowly gains life to gain an evasive beater
Elspeth, Knight-Errant - creates soldier tokens, grants pump & evasion, and in the end you become wrath proof.

Lands

Daru Encampment - soldier pump
Flagstones of Trokair - against people who like land destruction
Kjeldoran Outpost - soldier token generator
Remote Farm - white mana acceleration that costs you a land
Rustic Clachan - reinforce combat trick or otherwise useless
One more Frontline Strategist. If you play it right, you can decimate a player's entire horde of creatures.

Daru Cavalier is nice too since it lets you fetch.

Holy Day, Unified Strike, Ghostly Prison might help. Maybe putting one of the instants on Isochron Scepter.

Also, Ironfist Crusher is a nice soldier to have.

I noticed in your notes that you said Ballyrush Banneret is overshadowed by Daru Warchief. For the record, their bonuses stack.

I'm also pretty sure that if the Banneret is out, any Kithkin Soldier costs (2) less to cast. If anyone has a ruling on this, please correct it.

Hope this helps! Let us all know how it works out.
Rule 1: Play Mirror Entity.
One of the guys in my playgroup is housing everyone at the moment with a deck that is 90% defense, along with four Decree of Justice and four Mirror Entity. Those soldiers are huge before you know it.

Right, now that's out of the way... ;)
Dude Ranch has its reputation for a reason. If you have one, do put it in. It may not be as cost-effective or as quick as some of the other soldier generators listed, but it's unstoppable, uncounterable and instant, and these factors make it worth playing.
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
I'm also pretty sure that if the Banneret is out, any Kithkin Soldier costs (2) less to cast. If anyone has a ruling on this, please correct it.

Unfortunately not, according to the ruling notes in the bottom of the Banneret's Gatherer window.
Which is a shame... I'd like them to be cumulative too.

Having just seen him go to work last night, Cenn's Tactician.
Got himself and another soldier +10/+10 before the game even got serious.

Having just seen him go to work last night, Cenn's Tactician.
Got himself and another soldier +10/+10 before the game even got serious.

I've seen other people use him but wasn't sure how great his actual benefit was. Is there something unique about him being in multiplayer or was it simply using up extra mana at end of turn to add your counters?

For Mirror Entity to grab a spot you would need to tell me what to take out. He has a nice spot transforming your weenie army into unstoppable monsters. I would like to know how other people react to him and how his ability affects your mana to play cards.

I also need to comment on the discussion of Ballyrush Banneret versus Daru Warchief. The cost to play soldier creatures is low and some even include two {W}{W}. Therefore in my eyes the benefit of having two different cards that lower cost is minimal when I only need one or two in play.

Finally I would like to hear about other decent to good drawing engines to replace armies after Wrath of God and abuse lower casting cost
I also need to comment on the discussion of Ballyrush Banneret versus Daru Warchief. The cost to play soldier creatures is low and some even include two {W}{W}. Therefore in my eyes the benefit of having two different cards that lower cost is minimal when I only need one or two in play.

Finally I would like to hear about other decent to good drawing engines to replace armies after Wrath of God and abuse lower casting cost

Maybe run 2x Darus and 2x Ballyrushes? Wouldn't want more than 4 total combined.

You might want to think about Endless Horizons. With a low mana curve mono white deck it can be VERY effective. It doesn't give you extra cards but it does make the cards you draw matter.
I've seen other people use him but wasn't sure how great his actual benefit was. Is there something unique about him being in multiplayer or was it simply using up extra mana at end of turn to add your counters?

Yeah, it's just EOT mana-usage. But the trick is that it looks so inocuous. People are willing to give you one mana and a +1/+1 counter a turn. And then when they blink, you've got a couple of monsters on the other side of the table. It's subtle, and in MP, subtle is good.

For Mirror Entity to grab a spot you would need to tell me what to take out. He has a nice spot transforming your weenie army into unstoppable monsters. I would like to know how other people react to him and how his ability affects your mana to play cards.

I agree that the cuts are hard. All the soldiers here have their merits. I'd maybe be dropping one-of's of a couple.

Agreed here. You should really only need two Warchiefs or Bannerets in play at any one time. More than that is overkill, really.

This is not exactly white's forte. The Enlistment Officers are good at restocking the army, as is Brass Herald. Alternately, you can simply respond to Wrath effects with things along the lines of Ghostway or Cauldron Haze.

First, you need a way to deal with enchantements and artefact that could stop you from attacking or deal a lot of damage. Add 4 aura of silence.

Catapult Master is really good with vigilance. You should also run few Swords to Plowshares for more removal.

Cards to remove:
-2 Glory (it'll be hard to kill her, not very efficiant)
-2 Cho-Arrim Legate (just bad)
-4 Deftblade Elite (just bad)
You should also run few Swords to Plowshares for more removal.

Or wait a week for Conflux and get some of the potentially even better . Probably cheaper and easier.

I have a soldier deck that plays very well w/ many of the same cards you mentioned (including aven brigadier) as well as benalish commander.
How about something like this?

Threats
04 [CARD]Preeminent Captain[/CARD] (free guys, sign me up!)
04 [CARD]Mirror Entity[/CARD] (can't ask for a better mana sink)
04 [CARD]Thoughtweft Trio[/CARD] (generally good beater)
04 [CARD]Enlistment Officer[/CARD] (card advantage)
04 [CARD]Benalish Commander[/CARD] (big guy and token generator)
04 [CARD]Aven Brigadier[/CARD] (flies and pumps +2/+2 after entity activations)

Utility
04 [CARD]Chrome Mox[/CARD] (more mana)
04 [CARD]Sun Droplet[/CARD] (life-gain this good has to be played)
04 [CARD]Veteran's Armaments[/CARD] (pumps and counts as a soldier for the purpose of enlistment officer)
04 [CARD]Mobilization[/CARD] (makes guys, but more importantly gives all your creatures vigilance)

Land
04 [CARD]Ancient Tomb[/CARD] (2-mana-land)
04 [CARD]City of Traitors[/CARD] (2-mana-land)
12 [CARD]Plains[/CARD]

Instead of trying to reduce the mana costs of the heavy hitters, just generate more mana with ancient tomb, city of traitors, and chrome mox. How can you go wrong with a turn one preeminent captain, followed by a turn two attack putting entity directly into play, and pumping them both to 4/4?

With mobilization, thoughtweft trio, veteran's armaments, and enlistment officer you can recover quickly after a board sweeper and keep the pressure on.
Catapult Master is really good with vigilance.

How do you figure? Vigilance's definition is that "Attacking doesn't cause creatures to tap." This won't work with Catapult Master's ability.

Now, if you're talking about attacking with your soldiers then using Catapult Master's ability, then yes. It does work that way.

Not trying to flame, just here for clarity's sake.
You can attack and still be able to threaten creature RFG. The problem is keeping out 5 soldiers. People will be more than happy to pop the Master or Warchief to keep the 5 soldier limit down so you don't RFG their Akroma.

Face it, you're pretty much here as a meat shield.

If you are at Georgian Court Univeristy or Monmouth Univeristy PM me. If you are out by York College of PA, I can help you reach the group there.

I am working on a new soldier build based to post based on ya'lls advice and want to know about two cards that immediately got shot down in my initial deck. What are the cons of Cho-Arrim Legate, a virtually free 1/2 pro-black soldier, and Jotun Grunt or is it that there are better soldiers to play.

Another question is how Worship works in these types of white decks. Most soldiers are resilient and in worst case scenario Mobilization could bring out another creature when the rest are dead.
I am working on a new soldier build based to post based on ya'lls advice and want to know about two cards that immediately got shot down in my initial deck. What are the cons of Cho-Arrim Legate, a virtually free 1/2 pro-black soldier, and Jotun Grunt or is it that there are better soldiers to play.

Another question is how Worship works in these types of white decks. Most soldiers are resilient and in worst case scenario Mobilization could bring out another creature when the rest are dead.

Cho-Arrim is nothing special. Free or not, its just a 1/2 pro black guy.

Jotun Grunt is strong, but it can be difficult to keep on the table in the early game. It's best to think of the grunt as graveyard hate instead of viewing it as a beater. If the graveyard hate is valuable to you (dredge, reanimator decks, etc), then he's a good addition; otherwise he's just a temporary threat, and in multiplayer I like guys that stick.

Worship paired with mobilization has some potential. Both are good cards, and they don't require one another to work; they just get better when paired together. If you can squeeze a few in, I say go for it.
Well with Conflux out I would get some Mirror-Sigil Sergeant. He is bonkers, especially off the back of the Preminent Captain.

And as someone else mentioned above, I would use Ghostway to protect from WoG. Hell, even use WoG yourself, couple with the Ghostway, its a very lopsided angry god.
As an added note, if someone in your playgroup is playing a mill deck, Jotun Grunt absolutely destroys his tactics. If you've got enough mana for it, I really like the Ghostway+Wrath strategy.

"Whoops, you have no creatures. Let me get in there with a bunch of soldiers... goodnight."

Also, I'm still a fan of Frontline Strategist. He's the "gotcha." in my soldier deck.
Well with Conflux out I would get some Mirror-Sigil Sergeant. He is bonkers, especially off the back of the Preminent Captain.

He also requires you to run blue permanents. Other than wake thrasher and a handful of crummy shadow guys there aren't too many blue soldiers. I guess you could run things like rhystic study, mystic remora, or opposition along with the white soldiers, but then the deck starts to get really complicated (finding a balance between white threats and blue support cards is tricky). Opposition and mobilization do go really well together though.

If you've got enough mana for it, I really like the Ghostway+Wrath strategy.

"Whoops, you have no creatures. Let me get in there with a bunch of soldiers... goodnight."

Hmm...a two card combo that costs 7 mana and eats up 8 card slots. That sounds terrible. Enlistment officer and mobilization (not to mention championed creatures if you also run thoughtweft trio) already give you plenty of gas to rebuild after a wrath of god. You should just run as many threats as you can possibly squeeze in, and hold a few in your hand if you fear wrath of god.
He also requires you to run blue permanents.

Umm, no he doesn't. The Mirror-Sigil Sergeant is all white.

Hmm...a two card combo that costs 7 mana and eats up 8 card slots. That sounds terrible. Enlistment officer and mobilization (not to mention championed creatures if you also run thoughtweft trio) already give you plenty of gas to rebuild after a wrath of god. You should just run as many threats as you can possibly squeeze in, and hold a few in your hand if you fear wrath of god.

Its not terrible, I've seen it happen in MP games. But you could use Martial Coup for pretty much the same effect as well and all in one card to boot.
Umm, no he doesn't. The Mirror-Sigil Sergeant is all white.

Without blue permanents he just an extremely overcosted 4/4. You aren't honestly suggesting running it without blue permanents are you? Without blue, it's just really, really bad.

Its not terrible, I've seen it happen in MP games.

There are much better ways to make creature heavy decks that run wrath of god than one with ghostway and a soldier theme. Treefolk with timber protector, decks running persist guys (or cauldron of souls), and heartmender or twilight shepherd, reveillark decks, or beast decks with spearbreaker behemoth all come to mind.

Ghostway is pretty good if it actually serves a more diverse purpose in the deck, like using it to flip morph guys or to reuse 187 effects (like eternal witness), but it's a pretty clunky combo if you're using it solely to protect your men from your own wrath of god effects.

Soldiers should have the ability to dominate the board with swarms of guys. More often than not, you'll be the reason why people want to wrath in the first place. Why do it for them?

The only reason to run wrath + ghostway is because you're going for a flashy overkill or because you're deck is failing to achieve the board dominance it should; 8 more slots dedicated to the main strategy (like umezawa's jitte or elspeth, knight-errant) could have prevented you from falling behind in the first place.

But you could use Martial Coup for pretty much the same effect as well and all in one card to boot.

Martial coup is a much better suggestion. It costs the same mana for a similar effect, and only four card slots. Coup seems much more in-theme for what this deck should be doing, since you can use it to make up to four soldier tokens without wiping the board, but it's still a nice emergency back-up plan if things go wrong. Kudos on this suggestion; much better than wrath + ghostway.
I have a Soldier Deck of my conception that is... red/white. Boros Swiftblade is a monster in a soldier deck, he kills everything. It's unstoppable. And I really like the Goblin Legionnaire (protects your important creatures from damage, and the 2 damages from the "shock" ability are very useful). I play also Soltari Guerrillas, like a some kind of removal (it's always at least 4/3 or 5/4, so I can kill monsters like Tombstalker simply attacking my opponent, and with Preeminent Captain you can do "surprise" kills).
I also suggest two planeswalkers: Ajani Goldmane and Elspeth, Knight-Errant. The first make your entire army more stronger with a simple -1 of loyalty, the second make soldier tokens and/or a real monster a single soldier (Swiftblade + Elspeth = win). And I will add also Umezawa's Jitte: Swiftblade + Umezawa is also a win condition (with double strike, you get 4 counters every attack), but is also really useful with the other soldiers, Soltari Champion on top of all.
I really like also the Intrepid Hero: bye bye Phyrexian Dreadnought, simply by tapping my hero. And for the creatures of power 3 or less... my other soldiers destroy them pretty well! X-D

For cards like Martial Coup, I'm perplexed. I tried Cenn's Enlistment, useful but slow. I'm currently testing Rise of the Hobgoblins and Decree of Justice: I really like the first strike ability of the Rise, and the possibility of make 4/4 angels of the second, instead of soldiers. In the end, I think that in a build with the planeswalkers, the kjeldoran and Shared Triumph, Martial Coup is devastating, but often not necessary: often the soldiers on the field are more than necessary. So, I'm currently choosing between Rise of the Hobgoblins and Decree of Justice...

Dont forget you can use him at the end of another players turn.
Not to mention while he is on the table every creature you control with a +1+1 counter gets to block an additional creature.
Something that i forget about usually when I play him. her... i think it might be a her.
Without blue permanents he just an extremely overcosted 4/4. You aren't honestly suggesting running it without blue permanents are you? Without blue, it's just really, really bad.

I never noticed 'blue permanent' clause, so my mistake, your correct.

There are much better ways to make creature heavy decks that run wrath of god than one with ghostway and a soldier theme. Treefolk with timber protector, decks running persist guys (or cauldron of souls), and heartmender or twilight shepherd, reveillark decks, or beast decks with spearbreaker behemoth all come to mind.

Yes, but none of those are soldier decks.

Ghostway is pretty good if it actually serves a more diverse purpose in the deck, like using it to flip morph guys or to reuse 187 effects (like eternal witness), but it's a pretty clunky combo if you're using it solely to protect your men from your own wrath of god effects.

In my meta, expect to see a WoG about every 3-4 turns from someone. So Ghostway is an excellent card to have in your deck to protect your army. And since your wanting to play soldiers your already overcommiting to the board with a swarm of creatures.

Soldiers should have the ability to dominate the board with swarms of guys. More often than not, you'll be the reason why people want to wrath in the first place. Why do it for them?

Because a Wrath is always a good card to have. Last I check these soldiers don't fly. What happens when the skies get overcrowded and you can't handle it?

The only reason to run wrath + ghostway is because you're going for a flashy overkill or because you're deck is failing to achieve the board dominance it should; 8 more slots dedicated to the main strategy (like umezawa's jitte or elspeth, knight-errant) could have prevented you from falling behind in the first place.

Wrath and Ghostway alone are good cards in this deck. Together they create a lethal combo. In MP it isn't hard to reach 7 mana. And overcommitting to the board is not falling behind. Its setting yourself up for failure. Which is why something like Ghostway can save you from that.

Martial coup is a much better suggestion. It costs the same mana for a similar effect, and only four card slots. Coup seems much more in-theme for what this deck should be doing, since you can use it to make up to four soldier tokens without wiping the board, but it's still a nice emergency back-up plan if things go wrong. Kudos on this suggestion; much better than wrath + ghostway.

Yes, but none of those are soldier decks.

That was my point. Other decks do this better, so why force it to fit into a deck that doesn't do it as well?

I'm not saying that the example list I posted earlier in the thread is absolutely flawless, nor that it can handle any situation, but it is focused on doing something and being good at it. The more your dilute a strategy with tricky little extras, the less it successfully accomplishes it's normal game plan.

Besides, you're arguing for ghostway as a solution to board sweepers, but did you even look at the deck I posted? It has benalish commander who suspends and makes soldier tokens while it ticks down (wrath protection), it has mobilization (wrath protection), veteran's armaments which makes your tokens into viable offensive threats and survives wrath of god, thoughtweft trio which champions a creature that comes back into play after wrath of god, and it packs enlistment officer which refills your hand if you run out of gas, and is the absolute best thing you can champion with the trio. Wrath of god is nothing more than a speed bumb to this deck already.

In my meta, expect to see a WoG about every 3-4 turns from someone. So Ghostway is an excellent card to have in your deck to protect your army. And since your wanting to play soldiers your already overcommiting to the board with a swarm of creatures.

That is a reason to not play wrath of god. If there is already a wrath effect going off every few turns, why would you want to play it too? The more frequently board sweepers go off, the less card advantage they generate, and presumably the people you play with have decks that aren't royally hosed by their own wrath effects, so how can you expect your wrath effects hose them? I can't follow this logic.

Yes, ghostway offers a level of protection against wrath, but so do half the cards in the list I already posted, and ghostway has less synergy than the inclusions I listed. Suggest Elspeth or something if you want to add more wrath protection since she makes soldier tokens, or pumps the ones you have, or (if you ever get her ultimate off) makes all your stuff immune to wrath henceforth. It's all about synergy.

Because a Wrath is always a good card to have. Last I check these soldiers don't fly. What happens when the skies get overcrowded and you can't handle it?

Wrath isn't always a good card to have. There are plenty of times when it'll be completely dead. That's why I liked your suggestion of martial coup much better, it will be dead far less often. It's still a en emergency reset button, but using it to make 3-4 tokens to push through for the win is perfectly acceptable too.

Wrath and Ghostway alone are good cards in this deck. Together they create a lethal combo. In MP it isn't hard to reach 7 mana.

I disagree completely. I think wrath in this deck is going to hurt you more often than it helps you. It's too conditional. You need to be losing the game for it to be valuable, and you increase your chances of being in that position by running wrath of god over more threats.

I also believe that ghostway is inferior to all of the following forms of wrath of god mitigation: Planeswalkers, Equipment, Mobilization, Enlistment Officer, Thoughtweft Trio, and Benanlish Commander. Ghostway also kills your tokens, which is too awesome for words.

Yes, together they might be a mildly effective combo, but not so effective that its worth compromising the integrity of the deck. Particularly since each of these cards reduces the number of threats you'll have on the board that make the combo good in the first place.

Let me try to explain this as effectively as I can. Assuming you run 24 mana sources, that means you have 36 cards dedicated to threats. Replace 8 of those with wrath of god and ghostway and you reduce your threat density by 22%. That will result in inferior board position far more often, which will increase your need for a rest button and your need for solutions to having your own board wiped by other players. So yes wrath of god and Ghostway can help you when you're in a losing position, but the 8 card slots they require, put you into that position more frequently.

And overcommitting to the board is not falling behind. Its setting yourself up for failure. Which is why something like Ghostway can save you from that.

Hmm, so I suggest cards that are immune to wrath of god (or at the very least help to reduce its effectiveness against you), and they make me more vulnerable to wrath of god? Creature swarm decks, by their very nature over-commit to the board, so the solution is not to try to change what the deck does, but to find the best ways to stay true to your game-plan and mitigate the effects of the natural foils to that strategy.

If somebody casts wrath of god while I've got Elspeth and Umezawa's Jitte on the board, it's not setting me up for failure. That's what I'm talking about. Sure ghostway is a one-shot save my team (minus the tokens) effect, but it serves no other purpose. Elspeth and jitte have uses with or without a wrath of god. They are good to have in more situations, than a board sweeper in a deck that is trying to put 6-12 guys on the table to swing in for the win.

At least this much we agree upon. Martial coup =
There actually are many viable soldier decks. I have found that my Masters and Commanders is my most Wrath resistant. I run full compliments of both the Warchief and Banneret, due to the high casting cost of the soldiers, the high number of soldiers, and the massive amounts of soldiers cards you stock up on when you get to bounce an Enlistment Officer even once. I found that I didn't even need Mobilization in this deck, my mana was always tied up casting bounced soldiers and in bouncing them, I always created fresh tokens. Vigilance isn't super important when you're always making tokens. Tokens/Enlistment Officers make you Wrath resistant.

Soldier Help:
4 Daru Warchief
4 Ballyrush Banneret
1 Field Marshal (more here for style points)
1 Oathsworn Giant
_______________10

Permanent Management:
4 Catapult Master
1 Sunstrike Legionnaire (came in very handy)
2 Devout Witness (choose enchantment/artifact kill of choice, I like reusable effects)
______________7

The Bouncers:
4 Stormfront Riders (MVP, you can combine with Cloudstone Curio for cheesy infinite tokens, but there are plenty of fun strategic choices without it)
2 Enjio Riders
_______________6

The Bouncees:
2 Aven Riftwatcher
1 Aven Cloudchaser (my environment is enchantment heavy)
4 Enlistment Officer (super-powered with only 4 non-soldier non-land cards in deck)
2 Knight-Captain of Eos
3 Benalish Commander (not needed at all, I'd love some Mirror Entities!)
________________12

I Couldn't Help Myself:
2 Gauntlets of Power
__________________2

total:______________________37

23 Plains (I didn't try any fancy lands, any suggestions?)
total:______________________23

Overall there were 5-6 slots that could have been tweaked.

I've also had fun with the following brews:
Cycled Soldiers: R/W cycling fun
Bird Soldiers: W/Bl Brigadeer Commander, Aven Warhawk
Auriok Steel II: W/Bl Auriok Salvagers, Ariok Steelshaper, Soldevi Sentry
thoughtweft trio which champions a creature that comes back into play after wrath of god, and it packs enlistment officer which refills your hand if you run out of gas, and is the absolute best thing you can champion with the trio.

I really wish this worked, but Trio has to champion a kithkin, not a soldier. So alas this specificly will not work. Something like Changeling Hero might work for this. Lifelinked and triggers off the soldier theme isnt too bad, tho he is expensive to cast.
I really wish this worked, but Trio has to champion a kithkin, not a soldier. So alas this specificly will not work. Something like Changeling Hero might work for this. Lifelinked and triggers off the soldier theme isnt too bad, tho he is expensive to cast.

Bummer...I totally missed that. Of course mirror entity solves that problem.
Coat of Arms has to go somewhere in this deck. And if you play Martial Coup for it's at least 7 cmc ability, now you have a clear board with an army of 5/5 soldiers out there.
Coat of Arms has to go somewhere in this deck. And if you play Martial Coup for it's at least 7 cmc ability, now you have a clear board with an army of 5/5 soldiers out there.

Coat of arms has a nasty tendency to backfire in your face (slivers, elves, merfolk, etc.). Maybe door of destinies? It's slower, but at least it won't pump your opponents' stuff too.
Icatian Javelineers are good one drops that count as soldiers.
Whipcorders are good two drops..
Soldiers have been given quite a few good things in multiplayer recently and I figured they were worth posting. All of them, however, require splashing into different colors breaking free from the standard mono-white soldier deck.

Creatures
Giltspire Avenger - a rattlesnake card that punishes opponents that attack you rather than another player. It is also has "Exalted" which might become part of soldier decks in the future.
Dauntless Escort - decent 3/3 body for attacking and is the perfect answer for WoG like effects.
Sigil Captain - makes tokens and small creatures significant by adding counters and doesn't need to stay alive for the effect to continue. Militia's pride is a good example as it will produce 3/3 kithkin soldiers tapped and attacking.

Artifact
Behemoth Sledge - might be worth it seeing as it follows Dauntless Escort's colors.
Wildfield Borderpost - comes into play tapped but is easy access to green mana.
Fieldmist Borderpost - same as Wildfield but for blue mana. It is also important to note that Mirror-Sigil Sergeant's ability will occur since the artifact is multi-colored.

Spells
Flurry of Wings - instant so it can be used on anyone's creatures regardless who they attack. If it is you, it chump blocks the army as long as they don't have trample...
imo forget coat of arms.

Glorious Anthem
Light From Within
I have a soldier deck that does really well in multiplayer. daru warchief, mobilization, and Leyline of the Meek really do the trick.
edit- lmao how could i forget raise the alarm
I have a soldier deck... and im kinda curious if it still can be upgraded and replace some cards to make it better...

lands (19)
Plains 19

Creatures (28)
Icatian Javelineers 4
Kjeldoran Outrider 3
Soltari Champion 2
Kjeldoran Skyknight 4
Field Marshall 3
Daru Warchief 3
Darien, King of Kjeldor 1
Benalish Commander 2
Preeminent Captain 3
Commander Easha 1
Kjeldoran Royal Guard 2

Spells/ Enchantments (13)
Glorious Anthem 4
Mobilization 1
Raise the Alarm 4
Pacifism 2
Swords to Plowshares 2

tell me what u guys think :D and im planning to put elspeth, knight errant
There are some cards out next week in M10 that will shiver your Soldier timbers. :D

There are some cards out next week in M10 that will shiver your Soldier timbers. :D

Agreed, though not as many as I'd have liked.  Most of them already had comparable match ups while you were right about one as it truly stole my breath away.  In addition, the orb has found 9 occurences of "soldier" in Zendikar and one of which has already been spoiled (cards listed below are M2010).
Captain of the Watch... is freaking amazing.  She has the body, the pumping ability, and the creature tokens to swing around a losing battle.  Combined with her soldiers she is a vigilant 9/9 beater that is easily playable with either Preeminent Captain or Daru Warchief.  Additional pump and creatures such as Catapult Master make her even more amazing.
Other honorable mentions include...
Magebane Armor has a decent pump and protects against noncombat damage.  Don't think it has enough though to rival or Veteran's Armaments even scratch Umezawa's Jitte.
Honor of the Pure is a nice and cheap pump for only your creatures.  Sure it doesn't have a body to attack/block with but that will keep it alive during wraths.
Veteran Armorsmith has virtually the same static pump ability as Veteran Armorer but comes with an additional toughness.  He suffers heavy drawbacks though such as only affecting soldiers, can't reduce casting cost, and being harder to include in a multicolored deck.
Veteran Swordsmith fails miserably when compared to other 3 mc candidates.  Field Marshal trades one power for a greater pump ability while also giving soldiers first strike.  A possible redeeming quality would be its actual monetary cost for building on a budget.
Lurking Predators... yeah... let that sink in.  I know its green, 6 mana, and a long shot and will probably never scrape this beautiful deck but some multiplayer cards just aren't fair.  If this could survive one turn at a 5 player table then your army just tripled in size.
I'm really unsure about a lot of the Zendikar cards and how they'll fit into a multiplayer soldier deck.  If possible, I'd love to hear what ya'll think about my analysis and if the listed cards will make the cut.
Kor Duelist is a possible 1CC contender as he is absolutely amazing with almost any equipment found in a soldier deck (Veteran's Armaments, Umezawa's JitteLoxodon Warhammer, etc.).  Unfortunately though, he is also a 1/1 vanilla by himself which is horrible as an early drop and horrendous as a top deck.  Overall, I'd rather run Deftblade Elite and Frontline Strategist rather than something so inconsistent.
Kazandu Blademaster is a vigilant, 2/2, first striker for WW which works well as both an attacker and defender.  Both of his abilities, however, are granted to the soldier tribe through a number of ways (Field MarshalCaptain of the Watch, and Mobilization).
Kor Skyfisher has great synergy with Stormfront Riders though I'm not entirely sure about her with other soldiers.  As an early drop you risk bouncing a land but there are also a good number of beneficial targets later on.  You could re-morph frontline strategist and reuse CiP abilities such as Enlistment OfficerRanger of Eos, and Captain of the Watch.  Preeminent Captain is capable of reducing this drawback and even gives the bounced creature haste.
Conqueror's Pledge produces a nice amount of tokens though it feels a lot less flexible compared to the other options available such as Decree of Justice and Martial Coup.
Eldrazi Monument is probably meant for token decks but that doesn't mean soldiers can't use it.  It gives our creatures pump, evasion, and indestructibility which are all needed at the multiplayer table.  The upkeep could be taken care of with mobilization or some other generator.  Overall, I love this though everything seems so necessary in a soldier deck I don't know what would be taken out.

Necroing this.

Not much from RoE, but what is there looks interesting.

Nomads' Assembly is potentially bonkers. 'Nuff said.

Gideon Jura
is a 6/6 for 3WW who ignores damage, dodges Wraths, clears the way for your attackers and kills annoying fatties. On the other hand, if your opponent is playing him they can yank all of your crreatures in to, for example, a Lightmine Field.

The Umbras all provide removal protection. None of them strike me as very powerful though.

Emeria, the Sky Ruin from Zen wasn't mentioned above, but really helps this type of deck. It's free late game recursion, which is something soldiers badly need after mutiple board wipes

Edits: stupid autocard
You might consider Cauldron of Souls instead of Cauldron Haze costs more but is reusable. And as unlikely as it is to find space in this deck for it including Heartmender makes it really useful

Speaking of Gideon Jura and Emeria, the Sky Ruin there are a couple interesting things you can do with them. Add Captain of the Watch and Knight-Captain of Eos and you can create an interesting combo.

Use Gideon's ability to force their creatures to attack you next turn, they attack and you use Knight Captain's ability to prevent all damage by sacrificing Captain of the Watch. Your turn comes around activating Emeria bringing Captain back with three 1/1 tokens(not to mention adding vigilance to your creatures again to attack that person)

Something else, Tarnished Citadel, Darien, King of Kjeldor, and Soul's Attendant for free 1/1 tokens