MP Discard Lockdown

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
This is an old fave of mine that has gone through many iterations over the years. At the moment, it is unfortunately suffering from a fair amount of bloat. It needs an improved mana curve and a few of the fat things thrown out.

What works:
- The amount of discard. Pretty much spot on. Maybe one or two more Raven's Crimes, if anything.
- The combos. They work very, very well.
- Blightning. Best new card I've thrown in this deck. Have indirectly dealt 11 damage for with this card already, thanks to Megrim and The Rack.
- The amount of creatures. Rarely need more creatures than what I have. Maybe one or two more at best.

What can probably go:
- The Heightened Awareness. It's a good fit, but it's expensive and I don't need more of the same.
- The Keldon Twilight. Part of an old theme in this deck. It worked well with Ensnaring Bridge, but its day is past.

What needs to go in:
- Things that improve the mana curve here. Cheaper alternatives.
- And yes, quite obviously some Crumbling Necropolis.
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
Your deck is interesting, but definitely needs some fine tuning. I think you can take it in a few directions, but first I think you need to ask yourself what you're trying to do.

Right off the bat, I don't like your mana base. 20 lands and you have a lot of 4+ CC cards. You need 23ish lands in here, and please do stick in a few that can fix mana. Use Vivid lands if need be, they are cheap and readily available.

Ok, let's forget about mana for a second. What I don't see is strong synergy in your deck. Looking at your list, you have no real tutors or draw (and Syphon Mind REALLY needs to be included). Why use the silly jar combos? You have 2 Megrims and 2 Jars, that's not good. What do you do in games where you only draw 1 part of the combo? Granted, Megrim will have a use for a while, but a Jar is pretty bad on it's own. I just really feel that this combo deserves its own deck, and shouldn't just be tossed in because it's cool. I'd remove blue altogether honestly.

Turn those racks and Sculpting Steel into Wheel of Tortures. The only worthwhile target for SS is the Wheel (IMO), so you may as well make it one automatically.

This is where I get really @nal about how people play discard. I don't like any of the discard cards you chose. They are either single target, or specters. These kinds of cards are just so dangerous in MP. I don't know about you, but if I dropped a specter it wouldn't live to see a single EOT. If I force one player to discard, he has added incentive to seek retribution on me (to stop it from happening again). While doing so, you indirectly give other players security to build up their forces/combos. I'm just not a fan of this kind of play.

I'd much rather see you whip out the Mindslicer, Oppression, Delirium Skeins, Unnerve, Necrogen Mists, Gibbering Descent, Mind Swords, and other universal discard. I just love knowing that I'm setting the pace for the game by allotting the number of cards each player has to work with. It also means that you can use wins like Rackling and the other rack effects you currently have (Muse, Wheel) to maximum efficiency. Unlike Megrim which has to be in play when the discard happens, and does nothing once everyone is in top deck mode, these ensure you'll burn everyone down quickly and effectively.

And you can back up your discard in many ways. Big Game Hunter and Dark Withering can be effective removal. Psychotic Haze can remove pesky weenies or tokens. Guiltfeeder is a ruthless beater through your Ensnaring Bridge. Mortivore wubs all the creatures being discarded. Planar Void/Leyline of the Void hose recur shenanigans. Howltooth Hollow is an effective land that can be sick when paired with Hollowborn Barghest. Geth's Grimoire mixed with Words of Waste is always good for a laugh.

I dunno, it just feels too much like a duel deck rather then a MP deck to me.
My guide to Black multiplayer cards and strategies: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/18893722?sdb=1&post_num=1#322195706 My guide to Red multiplayer cards and strategies: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28999213/?sdb=1&post_num=1#517562879 My guide to White multiplayer cards and strategies http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29011349/?sdb=1&pg=last#517773211 My guide to Green multiplayer cards and strategies http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29034323/Tichs_Guide_to_Green_Multiplayer_Cards_and_Strategies
I second everything in the above post. You might want to up the key components to 3-4 each to focus the deck and make it more consistent.

I would also suggest Gustha's Scepter as a potential synergy. It gives your hand a safe (sort of) place to weather the storms of mass discard, null broochery, etc. as well as helping to power up your ensnaring bridge a little faster.

A Primer on Using Gatherer

Autocarding:  [c]Island[/c] == Island.

My only issue with that scepter is that it shouldn't ever be needed. All his key cards should either be mass discard, or Rack effects. As long as he's playing those, he should be winning. The bridge hitting should seal the deal. I don't like the idea of putting in a card to protect 1 card (the bridge). I'd rather see him abuse madness or flashback, or Entomb/Reanimate. Black and red can do a lot to abuse discarding, why deny yourself that opportunity?
My guide to Black multiplayer cards and strategies: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/18893722?sdb=1&post_num=1#322195706 My guide to Red multiplayer cards and strategies: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28999213/?sdb=1&post_num=1#517562879 My guide to White multiplayer cards and strategies http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29011349/?sdb=1&pg=last#517773211 My guide to Green multiplayer cards and strategies http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29034323/Tichs_Guide_to_Green_Multiplayer_Cards_and_Strategies
Thanks for the replies!
Yeah, this deck often splits time between duels and multiplayer, hence The Racks and the single-target discard. In the past, it's been fast enough to handle both formats, but now can't, hence the problems.

Surprisingly, people seem to leave the specters alone in my playgroup. At least until they've taken a card or two off someone, anyway. Seemingly, if it's not at least 4/4 and/or combolicious, it's not worth piffing until it's about to kill you. So it's a situation worth taking advantage of! :D

Essentially, the Grafted Skullcaps speed this deck up to the point where it makes what is ordinarily a duel deck MP/2HG/Emperor-viable. It draws the discard that fast that it can take out multiple people at once. But I agree, it does need things like Unnerve, Delerium Skeins and Syphon Mind. The question here is how do we add them without blowing out the mana curve even more than what we have? It would be good to be able to rock a duel with this deck still as well. I know serving double time with a deck doesn't always work, but given that this has worked in the past with this deck's previous iterations, it would be good to try.

But you're right, Tich - this deck could quite easily make better use of the forced discarding here. Could maybe even make use of hellbent. I dunno.

Well I guess if it works it works. I think that after a game or two people will be gunning for specters, but that's me. it makes a lot of sense that this is at least a part time duel deck, but I would try to tailor a bit more for MP if possible.
Well I guess if it works it works. I think that after a game or two people will be gunning for specters, but that's me. it makes a lot of sense that this is at least a part time duel deck, but I would try to tailor a bit more for MP if possible.

I agree - it puzzles me that this deck's specters seem to live at the moment. I'm wondering if I need to build some good defensive creatures in, so that I'm protected before I draw into the Bridge. That said, Hyppie stays. Nothing beats a first turn of Swamp, Ritual, Hyppie. :D

And yeah, this deck can stand to be more MP-tailored. The Keldon Twilights that used to be in here probably helped it handle MP a lot better than it does now. I'm finding that there are more creatures about while this deck is doing its thing now. Mind you, this also used to carry one or two more Recoils as well.

If you must have specters in addition to hippie I highly recommend Silent Specter.

Discard that hits the whole table is clutch also, I would suggest Rix Maadi, dungeon palace and the afformentioned words of waste. You might also consider a couple copies of radiate either to use your opponents spells against them or to hymn the whole table.

Nether spirit and haakon, stromgald scourge work well at providing necessary defense and offence once you get the discard engine up and running. Ghost-lit stalker is handy for clearing the hand of the guy with all the counterspells. Rakdos carnarium is good to, affording you a land to discard while not losing any tempo (think raven's crime).
That said, Hyppie stays. Nothing beats a first turn of Swamp, Ritual, Hyppie. :D

Except, first turn Swamp, Ritual, Stronghold Rats, for MP goodness. ;)

Time to necro this thread.
I've finally got around to stripping the blue from this deck, and I think it's much better off for it. I cannot say enough good things about Blightning. Just a sensational card.
My playgroup still leaves my specters relatively well alone. Yes, it still amazes me. Second turn Blazing Specter is just good clean fun.
Will source some Rotting Rats to go in here, as it's just an obvious fit.

Personally I think Pulling Teeth is an upgraded Raven's Crime; you get the discard action of Raven's Crime and a preview of your next card for just one more mana. But having both in your deck never hurts. :P
Sign In to post comments