Braaiiins: The Zombie Deck

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Because I'm bored, and I've seen a few "Wot Zombeez do u rock in ur 1337 Zombee deck?" questions of late, here is my incarnation.

Cairn Wanderer and Leechridden Swamp are new additions to this deck - still working out if they have their place or not.

And to answer the usual questions I see:
1) Yes, Noxious Ghoul is all that and a bag of chips. My playgroup's environment is Elf and Saproling heavy, and it takes both apart in a flash.
2) Yes, Shepherd of Rot is that big of a threat. Very underrated card.
3) Yes, there are few things better than a continually reoccuring Gempalm Polluter (thanks to the Lord and the Grotto).
4) Yes, Death Cloud is a sensational finisher.
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
Do you want us to post our versions of the Zombie deck? Tribal Zombies was pretty much the first deck theme I built around, back in my magic infancy. It's now been tuned to a point where I'm extremely happy with it, and it consistenly performs excellently in multiplayer.

And you're right, Noxious Ghoul is the nuts in this deck.
Call to the Grave has been devestating in my Zombie deck. Mine ended up with a splash of green to support the Dead Elf, and Vulturous Zombie. Great flying zombie that can get huge with all the removal you have.
Ok well your deck needs some major overhauls. First of all, if you're using Filth, spring for the Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth. It's a good swamp in your deck. Up the Leechriddens to 4 IMO. They are just plain good in a deck with this many creatures.

Secondly, I'd focus on using the good zombies. This means go for the 4x of Maggot Carrier, Shepherd of Rot, Vengeful Dead, Noxious Ghoul, Undead Warchief, Gloomdrifter, Lord of the Undead, Gravespawn Sovereign. Brass Herald and Grave Defiler both have their uses too.

Syphon Mind would be a good replacement to Blanket of Night and your drain spells. W/o Cabal Coffers they are very lackluster. Head games and other spells that only hit one player don't have much appeal either. Call to the Grave, as stated, is really good too.

Patriarch's Bidding can make for a fine finale. Tombstone Stairwell can have a lot of fun with Noxious Ghoul and Vengeful Dead. Also use your tokens to revive stuff with Gravespawn Sovereign.
@Karthage + Sacrifice: Yep, those are the holes indeed. If/when I get them, Urborg, Coffers, Call to the Grave and the Sovereign are all going in this deck. I'm sadly short of them ATM, hence them not being here. That said, this deck still seems to be surprisingly effective in its current iteration.
If Urborg goes in, the Blanket of Nights go out. And I suspect the Cairn Wanderer will have a much more secure slot if a Call to the Grave goes in.

@Arven: By all means! Far be it from me to be a thread-hogger! :D

The Yixlid Jailer is also a relatively recent addition, mostly to circumvent the large amounts of graveyard tricks that my playgroup currently invests in, even if it does hose Filth. Still trying to see how truly effective the Jailer is, too.

Bl00m, you're so close to highlander, GO FOR IT! come on, singleton the deck out, you can do it!

Face it, you're pretty much here as a meat shield.

If you are at Georgian Court Univeristy or Monmouth Univeristy PM me. If you are out by York College of PA, I can help you reach the group there.

Bl00m, you're so close to highlander, GO FOR IT! come on, singleton the deck out, you can do it!

No kidding, eh? :D
I need to drop that playset of Rituals like it's hot!

That's an unfortunate carry-over from my former life of trying to collect entire sets - I have a lot of one-of's as a result, and not many playsets. Now that there are too many sets being put out for me to have a realistic chance of collecting all the cards, I've long since given up, but my early collecting habits still show up in the construction of my decks. Sad, I know. I really need to convince my playgroup to give EDH a go - I'd school them! :D

Korlash, Heir to Blackblade

Did we all forget him?
No one forgot Korlash, it's just that a playset will cost him more then his current deck combined. Cards like him are great if you managed to acquire some naturally, but most people won't go out and buy a set for a multiplayer deck they may use once or twice. It's not always about naming the best cards, why didn't you suggest Black Lotus over Dark Ritual after all? It's usually about making the most realistic suggestions.

That being said, I'd still always suggest buying Demonic Tutor, Yawgmoth's Bargain, Yawgmoth's Will and Vampiric Tutor if you plan to play black multiplayer. They are some of the best cards in the game and can be put in any deck. That, to me, is a worthy investment.
My guide to Black multiplayer cards and strategies: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/18893722?sdb=1&post_num=1#322195706 My guide to Red multiplayer cards and strategies: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28999213/?sdb=1&post_num=1#517562879 My guide to White multiplayer cards and strategies http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29011349/?sdb=1&pg=last#517773211 My guide to Green multiplayer cards and strategies http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29034323/Tichs_Guide_to_Green_Multiplayer_Cards_and_Strategies
Tich is LOVING the new zombie lord coming in Alara:

WARNING ALARA SPOILER

Death Baron
Creature- Zombie Wizard R
Other Zombie creatures and Skeleton creatures you control get +1/+1 and have deathtouch.
2/2
My guide to Black multiplayer cards and strategies: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/18893722?sdb=1&post_num=1#322195706 My guide to Red multiplayer cards and strategies: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28999213/?sdb=1&post_num=1#517562879 My guide to White multiplayer cards and strategies http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29011349/?sdb=1&pg=last#517773211 My guide to Green multiplayer cards and strategies http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29034323/Tichs_Guide_to_Green_Multiplayer_Cards_and_Strategies
Tich is LOVING the new zombie lord coming in Alara:

WARNING ALARA SPOILER

Death Baron
Creature- Zombie Wizard R
Other Zombie creatures and Skeleton creatures you control get +1/+1 and have deathtouch.
2/2

ZOMBIE-RELATED SQUEE!!!

I've already written up a tribal Skeleton deck with this man. I've been waiting for him a long time
What good skeletons have there been? I see zombies everywhere, but what skeletons do people like? You got details of this tribal skeleton deck Arven?
Seeing as it's been necro'd, changes to the original deck at the top since this was originally posted:
-2 Drain Life
-1 Yixlid Jailer
-1 Festering Goblin
-1 Gravedigger
-1 Dark Ritual

+2 Corrupt
+2 Feeding Frenzy
+1 Magus of the Coffers
+1 Ascendant Evincar

Much more stable and efficient than it was. It didn't need to be that fast to take control, so some more controlling elements are in now. Leechridden Swamp is officially good. Cairn Wanderer probably still wants Call to the Grave next to him - he hasn't earnt his spot yet.

As for Skeletons, there aren't many.
Carrionette, Skeletal Vampire and Skeleton Ship are about the only ones that aren't "1/1, : Regenerate". Other than Changelings, of course.

Sign In to post comments