Are there any cards your house rules have banned?

48 posts / 0 new
Last post
Just curious

Mine once banned stasis, and also banned Obliterate for the sake of not losing our minds. haha
Upheaval is on the watchlist.
Oh jeeze. Upheavel. I should buy one of those :P
they banned my confusion deck from running grip of chaos in this combo:

confusion in the ranks + mycosynth lattice + grip of chaos
I am mostly a casual/multiplayer type of guy. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
I have a confusions deck. I use token generators to really mess with stuff hehe.
I have a confusions deck. I use token generators to really mess with stuff hehe.

Norin the wary and glitterfang are your friends :D I have black in there as well for endless whispers.
I am mostly a casual/multiplayer type of guy. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
We banned Bay Falcon just for fun because one player had killed an opponent in like 20 turns with it.
Just curious

Mine once banned stasis, and also banned Obliterate for the sake of not losing our minds. haha

Not 'banned' per se, but no one I play with will touch color hosers of any kind, or any combos that give infinite whatever.
We also try to keep the life giving cards to 4 maximum in a 60 card deck to keep the game from going on for too long.
Again nothing banned outright, but players going against the above will be gang raped as soon as the next game starts.

I dont personally like the idea of banning individual cards so much as just setting limits of some sort. For instance my old group decided that if someone did use some infinite combo that there was a set limit (say 40 life, or 40 damage or 40 tokens, etc) but it hasnt come up that I know of.

I prefer banning obnoxious combos.
You can use the card itself, such as earthcraft, but ban its use with certain cards that make it too powerful. Use it every game, just not together with squirrel nest or anything else that ends up doing the same thing.

The color hosers (Karma, stench of evil, Stern Judge, etc) are the main ones we used to have problems with. But not much anymore since I put together a couple decks to teach people a lesson about sucking the fun out of the game.
Yeah someone once used Karma against me. I started using Stench of Evil. He stopped.
My guide to Black multiplayer cards and strategies: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/18893722?sdb=1&post_num=1#322195706 My guide to Red multiplayer cards and strategies: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28999213/?sdb=1&post_num=1#517562879 My guide to White multiplayer cards and strategies http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29011349/?sdb=1&pg=last#517773211 My guide to Green multiplayer cards and strategies http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29034323/Tichs_Guide_to_Green_Multiplayer_Cards_and_Strategies
Not 'banned' per se, but no one I play with will touch...any combos that give infinite whatever.

Again nothing banned outright, but players going against the above will be gang raped as soon as the next game starts.

I prefer banning obnoxious combos.
You can use the card itself, such as earthcraft, but ban its use with certain cards that make it too powerful. Use it every game, just not together with squirrel nest or anything else that ends up doing the same thing.

Much the same here.
Infinite combos must be removed.
We haven't banned anything, even infinite combos, but anything too obnoxious will usually only be played once every few months. Otherwise you end up getting 3 turns as everyone at the table does nothing but beat on you. I still get beat on if I even lay an Island, all based on my Stasis deck.
We too haven't outright banned anyting. We do however stick to the vintage banned and restricted list (except when playing with UN-decks).

Combo decks tend to go off the first time they are played and from then on the same thing happens: everybody gangs up in the first few turns and you die quickly.

(do note that there is a difference between strong synergy and combo and the line in between those two is sometimes pretty blurred)
Kamikazegerbil wrote: Coke Spill Level 1 Encounter Attack Power Trigger: You must be pouring yourself a drink Range: Close Blast 1D10 from Player Target: All creatures and objects within blast Attack: Any vs. Reflex Hit: 1d6 Fizzy damage and target is wet (save ends) Aftereffect: Target is sticky (save ends)
No group I've played with has ever banned anything. Infinite combos, etc. usuallly go off once or twice before people start recognizing the deck, after which it gets pounded or at least watched closely.
IMAGE(http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/225/8/9/bloodgift_demon_sig_banner_by_voidelemental-d46gjhm.jpg)
We banned Bay Falcon just for fun because one player had killed an opponent in like 20 turns with it.

The dreaded Bay Falcon is a house in multiplayer...

No cards have been banned in my playgroup but some cards gets the dirty look.

Humility is probably the less liked card I can think of because it will screw the plans of everybody.

Ritual of Subdual is never welcome. Similar to Erayo, Soratami Ascendant (which I personnally don't have a problem with, but maybe it will come one day).

Telepathy gets the dirty look, not because of it's effect but because laying down your hand on a small table gets akward and prone to confusion (That land you just tapped for mana, it was in you hand!).

Nobody plays Stasis so there's no complaining there.

The only spell I play in there is Ritual of Subdual. I played this with Enduring Ideal and only if I know it's my only answer.
worship the horn
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28209491/Conch_Horn
Erayo, Soratami Ascendant + Arcane Laboratory = lockdown

Would like to add that my play group doesn't necessarily ban anything either, but infinite combos, Memory Jar + Megrim x2 type decks, and the above type combo decks would get the beat down fairly quickly. This would be the same for Stasis should anyone find a play-set.

I have thought about running the combo above, but it would be an expensive deck to play only once or twice every so often :-\
We don't restrict any cards. We don't have people with power 9 anyway. There are not to many combo decks more strong synergy. The only combo I run which doesn't really net me much hate on the board because they can't do anything about it unless they disenchant is

Apprentice Necromancer, + Apprentice Necromancer, + Gravepact.

Pretty easy cheap way to clear the board if you have on AN in the graveyard.
my group had an unofficial ban on kokusho. we didn't really enforce the ban, but if you did play him the whole table would throw a fit and hear no defense for your actions. if you played more than one you'd be pariah for the day.
This is the happy swamp. Love it. I am red/blue, I think logically and act impulsively.
Yeah someone once used Karma against me. I started using Stench of Evil. He stopped.

Thats exactly how it happened for us.

Im ok with it in duels (since they're usually sideboard cards anyway) but for MP those types of cards really just ruin the game for a player or two.
I prefer cards that screw the whole table regardless of the color they're playing.
No group I've played with has ever banned anything. Infinite combos, etc. usuallly go off once or twice before people start recognizing the deck, after which it gets pounded or at least watched closely.

Thats what happens when certain decks come out. These guys put those sleeves on their decks that give away what theyre playing so someone will end up grabbing a deck specifically targeted for it.
Just one more reason I use generic sleeves so no one knows whats coming until Ive started playing.

I generally keep a nasty LD deck together for those players who want to pull too many stunts like WoG/damnation every 3rd turn.
I still get beat on if I even lay an Island, all based on my Stasis deck.

I had played one game with this new elf deck that had just lucked out and was really doing a great job. After that if I even put an elf on the table one player was immediately calling for a gang **** and all three of them would hit me with everything they had.
my group had an unofficial ban on kokusho. we didn't really enforce the ban, but if you did play him the whole table would throw a fit and hear no defense for your actions. if you played more than one you'd be pariah for the day.

I can certain see the potential for abuse but if it was put in a deck for meerly a creature card and no real combo abuse to make it go in and out of the GY what would be the issue? Or is it more just the 20-30 life average increase since its multiplayer?

subversion I would think would net you more hate :D
Nothing is really banned in my playgroup, but instant win cards like Coalition Victory or you can't lose cards like Platinum Angel get plenty of dirty looks.
Nothing is banned in my group but cards that steal like Bribery or even (he he) Memnarch (especially combo'd with Leonin Abunas) are really frowned on and usually get me a beating. And dont even get me started on my elf decks .... i've actually had to start going to other colors cuz im usually the first one to get beat on until my elves prevail.

My Decks

[deck=Wrath Of The Goblins]
17 * Mountain
3 * Swamp
4 * Auntie's Hovel
2 * Vexing Shusher
2 * Wort, The Raidmother
2 * Horde Of Boggarts
2 * Goblin King
2 * Goblin Dynamo
4 * Mad Auntie
2 * Moggcatcher
2 * Lightning Crafter
2 * Goblin Warchief
2 * Wort, Boggart Auntie
2 * Goblin Grenade
2 * Goblin Charbelcher
4 * Goblin Offensive
4 * Goblin Caves
2 * Goblin War Strike
2 * Fireball
2 * Blood Moon
[/deck]
[deck=Elvish Fury]
18 * Forest
4 * Gilt-Leaf Palace
2 * Taunting Elf
4 * Timberwatch Elf
3 * Bramblewood Paragon
2 * Nath Of The Gilt-Leaf
3 * Skyshroud Poacher
4 * Llanowar Elves
3 * Wellwisher
3 * Jagged-Scar Archers
4 * Heedless One
3 * Trolls Of Tel-jilad
4 * Immaculate Magistrate
4 * Eyeblight's Ending
3 * Moment's Peace
[/deck]
Yea, I know. I used to play 1 multiplayer game a day every day with my Elf deck. It got to the point where they started using counterspells and Slivers and ganging up on me so I built a new discard deck with Extinction and Stronghold Discipline. The Sliver deck stopped focusing on me after that.
PPTTHHH Slivers ... my friend had a sliver deck that would **** us every game, till i found the joy of elves, his Sliver deck even with Sliver Legion, Sliver Queen and all his Muscle Slivers in play my elves still kicked his butt. He had to make a pure black death deck just to be able to survive my Elves .......... i love elves lmao

My Decks

[deck=Wrath Of The Goblins]
17 * Mountain
3 * Swamp
4 * Auntie's Hovel
2 * Vexing Shusher
2 * Wort, The Raidmother
2 * Horde Of Boggarts
2 * Goblin King
2 * Goblin Dynamo
4 * Mad Auntie
2 * Moggcatcher
2 * Lightning Crafter
2 * Goblin Warchief
2 * Wort, Boggart Auntie
2 * Goblin Grenade
2 * Goblin Charbelcher
4 * Goblin Offensive
4 * Goblin Caves
2 * Goblin War Strike
2 * Fireball
2 * Blood Moon
[/deck]
[deck=Elvish Fury]
18 * Forest
4 * Gilt-Leaf Palace
2 * Taunting Elf
4 * Timberwatch Elf
3 * Bramblewood Paragon
2 * Nath Of The Gilt-Leaf
3 * Skyshroud Poacher
4 * Llanowar Elves
3 * Wellwisher
3 * Jagged-Scar Archers
4 * Heedless One
3 * Trolls Of Tel-jilad
4 * Immaculate Magistrate
4 * Eyeblight's Ending
3 * Moment's Peace
[/deck]
I will sideboard Extinctions and also massacres if I feel the game is shiftnig to target me and my controllish decks.
I've never had a problem with Infinate Combos. As far as hand revelation, yes I'll agree it's annoying, but I have it too and it's amazing against life gaining decks. It also stops that annoying Cho-Manno, Revolutionary + Pariah combo....now if only I had something to stop Beacon of Immortality.
[snark]umm... counterspell?[/snark]

I have yet to see a Black Counterspell card, but then again I don't know every card in existence.....Is that even possible?
It'd probably be in Time Spiral or something with that White Counterspell.

Edit: Found it Dash Hopes. I feel stupid now. I've had it used against me almost every game with my friends Orzhov Deck.
I can certain see the potential for abuse but if it was put in a deck for meerly a creature card and no real combo abuse to make it go in and out of the GY what would be the issue? Or is it more just the 20-30 life average increase since its multiplayer?

subversion I would think would net you more hate :D

it wasn't just the life swing (which is still pretty rediculous given what were normally between 6 and 8 player chaos games) but also just that one card could be so very cheesy all on its own.

plus no one ever threw one in just for the creature, there's was pretty much always some kind of synergy, even if it was minor.
This is the happy swamp. Love it. I am red/blue, I think logically and act impulsively.
Any Global land destruction, like armageddon, obliterate, jokulhaups.

We had wrath effects banned period for a long time. Made for fantastic games! But then the guy who hosted the games actually got his hands on wrath of god and the rule was no more.

biorhythm is officially banned. We have an unspoken rule about infinite combos. Alternate kills like coalition victory and test of endurance win the game per say, but everyone just keeps on playing, and the test of endurance guy has a lame time just watching. So that's not a wise choice.

Power is banned. skullclamp is banned.

Enchantment decks that just sit behind them, like worship plus sterling grove, plus privelidged position, plus ivory mask, plus 4 ghostly prison, plus... decks have been entirely hated out.

I played the 4 kokusho, deathcloud deck. Still am not forgiven.

Mostly, we play with offbeat tribal decks, control decks with little combos (like searing meditation and firemane angel) random highlander decks, and fun theme decks, like coretapper.dec.

We've banned a lot over the years.
Enchantment decks that just sit behind them, like worship plus sterling grove, plus privelidged position, plus ivory mask, plus 4 ghostly prison, plus... decks have been entirely hated out.

I'd have to say, I'd get really bored really quick if I couldn't play my prison type decks. I have huge timmy creature decks too but this seems excessive imo. But if it keeps you guys having fun. :D
No cards banned here, we use T1 list.

Just wondering: Why Upheaval is on your check list?
The only utility I see is Psychatog, which is bad in mp. Does the guy cast big creature, slide it out with astral slide then cast it? Is it a trick with Portcullis? Or used with Iron Maiden

I'm really interested cause that's the kind of card I love.
I think I can relate to upheavel. Its a reset. multiplayer games by nature take FOREVER. unless someone plays some combo deck to win 1st turn.

So when you are in a heated game and someone casts obliterate....

or upheaval... ugh ugh ugh indeed. LOL

We're ok with evacuations, balance, pox ect. but total resets...

whoa now
I think I can relate to upheavel. Its a reset. multiplayer games by nature take FOREVER. unless someone plays some combo deck to win 1st turn.

So when you are in a heated game and someone casts obliterate....

or upheaval... ugh ugh ugh indeed. LOL

We're ok with evacuations, balance, pox ect. but total resets...

whoa now

resets suck as a rule, but sometimes they have their place. i run a single obliterate in a monored deck that runs manaflares as an emergency reset, and i've caught flak just because a guy at my table knew it was in the deck.

nevermind that my deck is in no way built around breaking the symmetry, or that the flares surviving make recovery less arduous, one Obliterate was an unforgivable sin to him.
You know what you need to do then my friend. Remove one red card and obliterate and put in thieves auction and BRAND.

then see if they still hate obliterate more.
You know what you need to do then my friend. Remove one red card and obliterate and put in thieves auction and BRAND.

then see if they still hate obliterate more.

i like where your head's at, but even i'm not that vindictive.

My group banned Bay Falcon too, so I ran 3x Zephyr Falcon with 4x Living Wish to fetch the 4th. Needless to say I won.

Actually, my group hasn't banned anything, because none of us want to admit being unable to handle combo. However, ANYBODY who plays an Urza's block or Onslaught block elf is immediately ganged up on. That tribe is silly strong in multiplayer. Also, anybody playing a sac-land is ganged up on, as a couple people have mind's desire decks. We also don't let people play foreign language cards unless they are recognizable enough for everyone to know what they are.
My group banned Bay Falcon too, so I ran 3x Zephyr Falcon with 4x Living Wish to fetch the 4th. Needless to say I won.

Actually, my group hasn't banned anything, because none of us want to admit being unable to handle combo. However, ANYBODY who plays an Urza's block or Onslaught block elf is immediately ganged up on. That tribe is silly strong in multiplayer. Also, anybody playing a sac-land is ganged up on, as a couple people have mind's desire decks. We also don't let people play foreign language cards unless they are recognizable enough for everyone to know what they are.

I don't understand the sac-land hatred.
my group doesn't really ban cards per se; there's an unwritten rule about decks that are unfun singleplayer decks, though... Namely, if we suspect somebody is bringing out an unfun singleplayer deck, somebody will bring out their much much better unfun singleplayer deck, duke it out with that person, then concede when he wins.

Don't ever run land destruction as a main theme in this group, or your next game you are looking at a 50 turn game where you don't get to play a single spell
I don't understand the sac-land hatred.

Wrong sac-lands. I mean the combo sac-lands that get used for Balancing Act and Mind's desire decks Tinder Farm is an example. We hate on them because their only purpose is to power combo.
Wrong sac-lands. I mean the combo sac-lands that get used for Balancing Act and Mind's desire decks Tinder Farm is an example. We hate on them because their only purpose is to power combo.

OOOHHH yes those things lol.