Catharsis: What aggravates you in MP play?

100 posts / 0 new
Last post
This is a thread intended as a vent of your personal peeves and a soundboard for addressing said annoyances.

That said.
There are a few categories of MP player that twist my britches.

1. The Duelist: The guy who goes kamikazi/banzai with no intent of winning, but merely to weaken or knock out one targetted player. I will intentionally aid the target of such hate or return the effort as needed.

2. The Yapper: The guy who will not shut up about his plans to wreak devastation. I will thwart those plans at opportunity. What can I say....I felt intimidated?

3. The Diplomat: The guy who is constantly trying to forge alliances. I will attempt to wedge those alliances apart. I will engage in counterdiplomacy to turn allies on each other.

4. Mr. Infinite Combo- The guy who is out to create an infinite combo to win the multiplayer game. Our playgroup has adopted a house rule that any single deck that produces it's own game ending infinite combo and "wins" is removed from the game and play continues. A deck that goes infinite because of an opponent's deck wins the game. (Say my opponents' have out Pandemonium and Aluren, there is no problem if I combo out with my Cavern Harpy for the win.)
How about the guy who gets attacked by 2 or more opponents between his turn when no one else gets attacked and whines about it! If you didnt have more creatures or life then me, i might attack the guy next to you.
Also, the guy who argues with everyone just because he thinks his card does something that it actually doesnt, even when you bring up the offical rulings of the card on the magic site and/or submits the question regarding the card.
The Whiner: I try my best not to whine, sure there are things I don't like, but for the most part I just say "hey, its part of the game". Then there are people that will just ***** about everything. It can be infuriating to no end.

The super unfun deck guy. Oh yeah just build a combo that's no fun to play against, that's exactly what I want in multiplayer.

That's basically it. Everybody else that annoys me usually can be fit into the whiner category. Though people who form alliances are kinda annoying though it usually isnt bad, except that one time, but thats what happens when I play the barbs too early.
Agree with others regarding the infinite combo decks, though I do have a soft spot for some. The ones that really annoy me are the blue decks that have a way of continually playing Time Stretch until they find a way to win. Inevitably, this results in one player getting about fifteen long-winded turns in before declaring that we're all dead. Fantastic. Great win. Clap clap. :D

I must admit that our playgroup right now is very dependent on reset cards. Game not going well? Reset!
So our MP games at the moment involve about ten clear turns, then a reset. Then you're starting all over again. I'm really happy that WotC printed a card like Twilight Shepherd. I need four of them.
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
Add:

The Space Cadet: Doesn't pay attention to the board and makes awful choices based on stuff from 3 turns ago. Then acts as if someone is trying to trick him when paople say it is a bad play. Then tries to change the bad decisions because "no one told them when ###### was played."
Some I've noticed...

The Millionary Noob: Doesn't pay attention to the board and makes awful decisions (i.e. attacking into huge blockers and are angry/confused when their guys die or when we try to convince him not to swing into the fattie). Then, to compensate for their lack of skill, purchases playsets of wraths/platinum angels/dual lands and throw them around all willy nilly without the knowledge of how the card works (i.e. "I cast browbeat, everyone takes 5, I'll draw 3).

The Proxy Man: "Alright guys, my grizzly bears are wraths, my islands are akromas, my storm crows are ..etc". Then continues to play with the proxies with no intention of buying the actual cards. Nothing like having a playgroup strong-armed into humiliation by chimps.
The Goldfish: Stops paying attention and watched the TV that's across the house. Now everyone must yell at this person to get his/her attention and return to the game. Insert 5 minutes of this player saying things such as "When did this get here, who killed CARDNAME?, etc." Then makes a bad play because the player is still trying to catch what is going on in the show.

My friend: Tries to concede with damage on the stack so that I can't gain life from Spirit Loop so that the other player can win.

"I hate that deck" Guy: Loses to one deck repeatedly and becomes obsessed with never losing to it again. Decided to build an anti-deck, loses to everyone else, tries again, original hated deck gets benched for another for a couple games so that it doesn't put up with 60 cards of hate, guy still loses. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Face it, you're pretty much here as a meat shield.

If you are at Georgian Court Univeristy or Monmouth Univeristy PM me. If you are out by York College of PA, I can help you reach the group there.

The Blind Warlord: Some guy with the really good deck focused on forging an alliance to take out the threat who has the best chance of taking out the biggest threat, and ultimately dies in a flash to an Academy/Infinity Deck.
The Guilible dipshit: The one who just looks at the board and not what could come later and just attacks someone with out any creatures.
The argumentative diplomat:

When attacked, will not take damage, and instead tries to argue with the person until they take back their attack and attack somewhere else. If targeted with a spell, will ask why, talk for five minutes, and complain incessantly, even after the game, if he is taken out. Has to understand why he is being attacked. I have taken to saying, attack you for four, final answer. Frequently talks people out of attacking him just by using the good old fillibuster until they swing on someone else.

This player makes the game an hour longer by himself, outside of his own turns.
The argumentative diplomat:

When attacked, will not take damage, and instead tries to argue with the person until they take back their attack and attack somewhere else. If targeted with a spell, will ask why, talk for five minutes, and complain incessantly, even after the game, if he is taken out. Has to understand why he is being attacked. I have taken to saying, attack you for four, final answer. Frequently talks people out of attacking him just by using the good old fillibuster until they swing on someone else.

This player makes the game an hour longer by himself, outside of his own turns.

I kill those people fast. Until they learn.
We all try to evade an attack every once in a while, but I make them pay. I think the argumentative diplomat may be one of the most annoying people to play with. I swear that everything they do will be halted or hurt by me until they stop or die. Like The Ferrett said once, sometimes extremely focused vindictiveness is useful.

I also hate the people that won't buy cards, at all, and whine when they borrow a deck and lose. If you think the deck is so bad, go build one that is better. Until then keep quiet.

If you are at Georgian Court Univeristy or Monmouth Univeristy PM me. If you are out by York College of PA, I can help you reach the group there.

Haven't been playing for that long yet, so I can't really relate to some of these. But how bout the guy who needs to check every card you play against him just in case you're playing it wrong, or there's some loophole?

Course the people I play with are a lot newer, so this might apply more to them than others.
The one thing that gets my goat is threat recognition. Sure you could kill the guy with no creatures on the board, or you could beat on the guy who is gonna combo next turn.
IMAGE(http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f382/Guardman/MTGDarkness3.jpg) http://forums.mtgdarkness.com/ MTGDarkness: A Magic: the Gathering forum.
My greatest aggrevation is a slow player. If each player takes 10 seconds longer each turn then any game would take half an hour longer.

If he truly has to think for a moment to decide what to do, OK, ofcourse, I got to do that too sometimes but every single turn needing time to think?!?!?! Learn to think during opponents their turns so the decision process goes a lot faster once you know the card you have drawn.

My second greatest aggrevation is when player one passes the turn and player two doesn't take the turn because he wasn't paying attention and then the game stalls for half a minute because it aint clear to player two the he is up.

Infinite Combo and lock decks are frowned upon in my playgroup. Nobody likes playing against them so no one plays with them.

On a side note: I hate it when my favourite cards get removed from the game every single time.
Kamikazegerbil wrote: Coke Spill Level 1 Encounter Attack Power Trigger: You must be pouring yourself a drink Range: Close Blast 1D10 from Player Target: All creatures and objects within blast Attack: Any vs. Reflex Hit: 1d6 Fizzy damage and target is wet (save ends) Aftereffect: Target is sticky (save ends)
I play EDH on MTGO a lot, and my greatest aggrevation is the guy who concedes before he dies and screws up the game for the rest of the players. (Really hurts me as I use a theft based deck, and lose whatever of that guys I controlled at the time.)

Me: I attack you down to 10.
Him: Well I'm dead next turn, so I'll just concede now.
Me: Thanks for letting me waste an entire turn attacking someone who'll just concede afterwards, when I could have been improving my situation against the other players. Jerk.

That and the "Whiner". There's almost always a whiner.
"Why did you attacke me. No fair. That other guy has real threats on the board."
"How's about because you have no blockers and I need to hit in order to gain another benefit, say from Sygg, River Cutthroat?"

It's just a game. Have some fun. That's what I try to do.
It is funny that you mention that you play a "theft" deck. I hate those, as well. People who can't afford to buy decent cards so they just throw a ton of "steal target permanent(s)" cards into their deck, or they just can't come up with any decent win conditions of their own so they decide to steal their opponents. Sorry, but I don't feel bad that the person you are beating on concedes and you lose some of the permanents you stole from him :p It is especially annoying when you get your mana sources stolen repeatedly.

But yeah, I'd have to say those idiots who ramp up mana and then play four Time Stretch/Beacon of Tomorrows in a row are the biggest clowns and I immediately concede any game where I see that loop happening. What is the use of sitting around for ten minutes while I'm defeated when I know I am defeated? Time for the next game.
It is funny that you mention that you play a "theft" deck. I hate those, as well. People who can't afford to buy decent cards so they just throw a ton of "steal target permanent(s)" cards into their deck, or they just can't come up with any decent win conditions of their own so they decide to steal their opponents. Sorry, but I don't feel bad that the person you are beating on concedes and you lose some of the permanents you stole from him :p It is especially annoying when you get your mana sources stolen repeatedly.

But yeah, I'd have to say those idiots who ramp up mana and then play four Time Stretch/Beacon of Tomorrows in a row are the biggest clowns and I immediately concede any game where I see that loop happening. What is the use of sitting around for ten minutes while I'm defeated when I know I am defeated? Time for the next game.

I once made a grafted skull cap/ ensnaring bridge deck that provided protection for me from Confusion in the Ranks at least until I could get it set down. start pumping out creatures and boy people really hated that deck. hahaha.
I play EDH on MTGO a lot, and my greatest aggrevation is the guy who concedes before he dies and screws up the game for the rest of the players. (Really hurts me as I use a theft based deck, and lose whatever of that guys I controlled at the time.)

That's one of mine, the theft deck.

Also, I'm getting really tired of seeing Cloudpost in Two Headed Giant. It seems that 1/3 to 1/2 of all decks there just have them thrown in, expecting to get bonuses from other people's cloudposts.

Land screwed guy who complains that this always happens to him, won't consider that his deck may be built poorly. Occasionally this same player may complain about mana flood later on.
People who never seem to metagame, even though their collection is big enough to do that.
People who whine when you find new ways to screw their deck's plans because you for once want to win again and keep stirring the metagame.

People who whine about you having all the "BORKED" cards, like Etched Oracle, Stonecloaker, Academy Ruins, Loxodon Hierarch, Oblivion Stone, etc. or that you play "BORKED" combos, like Academy Ruins + Oblivion Stone + enough land, Coalition Victory + 5 color critter and each of a basic land type, Beacon of Immortality + False Cure, Helm of Awakening + 2x Snsei's Divining Top + Grapeshot, etc.

People who heard about your reputation and keep targeting you because you're such a threat with most of your hand and board position depleted, while someone else has become a massive threat.
The boyfriend/girlfriend team up. One will attack a person and then the other does the same. Next thing you know you're playing a two on one in the middle of an 8 player game.
The only things that really bother me are the people who think playing with infinite combos and mass land destruction is fun for other people. I also get really sick of the players who don't ever attack or hurt other players, especially because they can win after the rest of the players beat each other up and only one is left, and s/he's seriously weakened. There are a few other things that, while they bother me, I just deal with it. Except people who play akroma.
One of my biggest caveats at the moment is Theft. I hate getting beat by my own creatures or losing my combo pieces to it. And at the moment, it seems that is 1 of 5 most commonly played decks in our group.

I also used to have a Armageddon + Bitter Ordeal deck and after a few games it wasn't even fun for me. Luckily I was the only one playing land destruction. There are a few Land "restriction" type decks tho, but we seem to get around those a little better now.

But most of all, Infinite Combos are terrible. I feel like it's cheating even though it isn't. The exception would be an infinite combo that didn't destroy everyone or lock everyone (infinite but with restrictions). Say, an infinite combo that would could destroy a tapped blue creature if it's power was greater than 3 or something similar. I could run the combo forever so longer as there were an infinite amount tapped 3+ power blue creatures, or put an infinite amount of those destroy's on the stack so that it would be futile to play an instant in between. I guess that restriction would make it finite wouldn't it ?
When someone goes infinite in my playgroup, they "win," but they have to leave the game. Makes it a huge disincentive.
When someone goes infinite in my playgroup, they "win," but they have to leave the game. Makes it a huge disincentive.

We hate out/ do the same.
One guy proxied flash/hulk and "played it" alongside another deck.
When flash/hulk went off, it was set aside, no harm done.
I hate guys who bring $300+ dollar standard decks to the game and I really hate guys who build a deck that runs on auto-pilot.

My definition of auto-pilot is a deck that has a gameplan that is simple, efficient and has no tricks. A deck that is so regimented that stepping outside the built in strategy in any way results in an immediate game loss but if followed to the letter gives the user a 61.14516722% probability of winning.

Designed by robots for robots.
I hate guys who bring $300+ dollar standard decks to the game and I really hate guys who build a deck that runs on auto-pilot.

My definition of auto-pilot is a deck that has a gameplan that is simple, efficient and has no tricks. A deck that is so regimented that stepping outside the built in strategy in any way results in an immediate game loss but if followed to the letter gives the user a 61.14516722% probability of winning.

Designed by robots for robots.

I <3 standard peons who bring there standard trash to multplayer games where tempest/urza block reins.
There are no decks that annoy me, but there are play styles and player personalities

1) The guy that always plays the same deck. I like variety and variability. If you play the same deck, then I am inclined to play a deck that I know beats yours. Your choice restricts mine. If you play an unknown deck though...I just pick another deck and its all good.

2) The guy that complains about others card choices. LD is a legitimate strategy. Control Magic is a legitmate strategy, Playing R/B commons from Shadowmoor 'cause thats the only cards you have is a legitmate strategy.
I was playing an emporer game with some friends, and we picked up a 6th guy from the other players in the store. All this guy did was complain about his emperors deck and how bad it was with his deck. Then after they killed both my lts. I combo'ed off and dropped a 20 hurricane killing all of them (but leaving me at 4 life). He actually sighed, picked up his cards and said to his teammates 'I blame both of *you* for this' with such a snide and condesending tone I wanted to reach over and smack his nasty tweed beret right off his greasy head.

2b. The guy that actually thinks he is a better *person* (not the same as thinking you are a better player) because of the cards another player uses.
"Why would you play card A, when card B is Soooo much better, what are you stupid?"

3. The guy that abuses Proxies. Either proxying cards he doesn't own (in a casual MP game, Tourny prep is different) or proxying 1/3+ the deck with Revised swamps and a sharpie.
The cheap bastard: The person who knows you have some spare cards he or she is looking for and asks to borrow them, a lot. Not to trade for them or buy them, but to borrow them repeatedly.

The even cheaper bastard: the guy who learned to play, wants to play, but won't get any cards, then asks for a deck every session. He will then ask if you could put some money into a deck that you haven't been able to play because Mr. Even Cheaper Bastard won't get cards to make his own.

The Yu-Gi-Oh convert who won't remember the rules: these people think that everything has haste, you can attack another player's creatures, thinks that creatures are monsters, and complains how tiny everything is not being an 1800 or 2400 monster, but a 4/4 or 6/6 creature.

The "that card sucks" guy, after you just beat him: "I can't believe that I lost to something as terrible as that! I should have destroyed you. Scuttlemutt, who loses that that? Your deck is the worst pile of assembled cards ever called a deck. I hope that you get good cards next time." blah blah blah, man up you just lost.

The people who gun for the only person with mass removal when there are Sliver decks in exuberant amounts. So the sliver walk over the soldier and goblins and then go for each other. It bugs me when people go "OMG I lost a guy- You die now!" When the two sliver decks each lost 4+ slivers pumping each other to something Beowulf would back down from.

The Balance Whiner:
wah wah wah, ever since Hasbro bought out Wizards, MTG is totally lame now. That whole set is broken, I can't believe they printed that card, it's no wonder you won, ect ect ect.

The Un-player:
Mana Screw into Mox Lotus, empty my hand, in order for you to attack me with those sixteen creatures, you have to win a staring contest with me for each creature.

Mr. Vendetta:
Looks like we're both dead next turn, so... I'll go ahead and destroy your only permanent that might possibly give you a chance to level the playing field because I would rather lose to this opponent over here that has dominated the entire game than lose to your deck again.

Mr. Manic
Fiery Gambit... Flip once, success... Flip two, fail. Sigh, this never works. (He then proceeds to sigh, gripe, and complain throughout the rest of the next six games, going so far as to complain about the fact that my winning card is a singleton that I topdecked, claiming that it's totally lame that my victory was almost entirely based on chance).

And of course, Singleplayer guy.
In response to you attacking me, high tide. High tide. High tide. Reset. Wish for high tide. High tide. Brainstorm. Wish for reset. Reset. ... Brain freeze everybody for their library, you all draw a card, you all lose.
The guy who changes decks last second:
"Wait, you're going to play that!" *changes decks* "I wouldn't have even had a chance with that other deck."

Mr. Manic
Fiery Gambit... Flip once, success... Flip two, fail. Sigh, this never works. (He then proceeds to sigh, gripe, and complain throughout the rest of the next six games, going so far as to complain about the fact that my winning card is a singleton that I topdecked, claiming that it's totally lame that my victory was almost entirely based on chance).

Fiery Gambit should only ever be played with Krark's Thumb in play. I have a coinflip deck (I rarely play it but my friends like to play with it) and when you play with that deck you know your chance to win is less than 10%. But if you win, it is generally a memmorable win (like against a very expensive Null rod Mycosynth Lattice lock deck, with the very cheap Karplusan Minotaur)

This also makes me rember another game with someone outside my main playgroup (which is 5 people so we always need an extra to play emperor). All the time during the beginning of the game, he wined that it was unfair how the teams were balanced (everybody choses a deck, dierolls decide teams and seatings) and he wanted to scoop and quit and called in unfair. It was indeed dire for our team for about an hour but we eventually turned the tide and won in a few turns. And then suddenly the guy went crazy with joy and wouldn't shut up again for the rest of the evening.

That whining was annoying but the carzy joy after winning was even more annoying (we never invited him over again because of this).
Kamikazegerbil wrote: Coke Spill Level 1 Encounter Attack Power Trigger: You must be pouring yourself a drink Range: Close Blast 1D10 from Player Target: All creatures and objects within blast Attack: Any vs. Reflex Hit: 1d6 Fizzy damage and target is wet (save ends) Aftereffect: Target is sticky (save ends)
The guy who complains when somebody: (a) combos out; (b) plays jokulhaups, leaving 1 suspend counter on 3 different Greater Gargadons; (c) successfully plays an alternate win condition; or (4) gets the Stasis lock (usually (4) is me ).

If all you play is aggro or control, you should be able to recognize who could ruin your day and take them out/ disrupt them early. No excuses at all when it's someone from your regular playgroup.

Also, the guy who never expects the fog.
The I'm gonna-play-this-counterspell-and-put-it-directly-into-my-graveyard-without-reading-the-freaking-text guy. Because everyone knows what every counterspell ever made is by name. Oh, I could've avoided it by paying one? Idiot.

I get a lot of the whining from one guy. "Ok, attack me, because I have so many 1/1 elf tokens out right now. Attack him, because he has slivers." Shaddap. You take 22. You can't block it. I gain 22. Sweet. Thanks, Loxodon Warhammer + Treetop Bracers.
not so much annoying himself, but the source of infinite annoyance
Mr. rattlesnake: makes a deck that does nothing but dissuade you from hurting them so when the dust clears they can pick off the guy who killed everyone else.
now like i said, it's more the fact that everyone else is too blind to realize what he's doing so my options become "lose but take rattlesnake with me" or "kill all off the others and get sniped at the end" :headexplo
The host of our group has what we call the "drunk deck". This deck used Eon Hub and Glacial Chasm with Aladdin's Ring for a win condition. No one could beat this deck for a few weeks.

One day I walked in with a new deck using Wrath of God,Kirtar's Wrath,Nevinyrral's Disk ,Stuffy Doll and Biorhythm. Needless to say I dominated that week. Next week almost all of our experienced players had an answer to my little Stuffy Doll.
The Infinite Combo Decker. I like your House rule, the deck is removed from the game and play continues.
The Infinite Combo Decker. I like your House rule, the deck is removed from the game and play continues.

Rofl, when anyone in my playgroup plays Infinite Combo stuff, I just tell everyone to attack that person ASAP.

Needless to say, Infinite Combo hardly rears its head anymore.
Deck Critique VCL
Show
Rules Advisor Don't assume I have read any response you might have made directed toward me in a thread or post. The best method to contact me is Private Message as I will always check there upon logging on Please review the Code of Conduct or the Comprehensive Rules when in doubt. Also, please use Google for your easy-to-answer questions. Read this for a bit on game mathematics. This is information on game psychology and the infamous term "scrub." Autocard:
[c]Gifts Ungiven[/c] -> Gifts Ungiven
royk's Tradesroyk's Deck Dump
Almost everyone in our group has at least one combo deck. We have an "arms agreement" about using such decks...you can use a combo deck be so will everyone else.
i tend not to like the players rather than the decks. i tend to play EDH, and the people who think every single person in play hasn't even seen any of the cards and declare them, then explain what they do, even though they've been using the same card for several weeks and everyone there knows what it does perfectly.
i also tend not to like the reader, the new kid who has to read every card, and not just belive the player when they summarize what it does.

i also really don't like the people that use really competitive decks in EDH, while winning is good, the person runnning teferi + seedborn muse + control just ruins the whole idea.
"and not just belive the player when they summarize what it does."

See, I'm the other way around. I want them to actually understand how it works, not just take my word for it, because then I'll have to explain it all later anyway when I try to do some stack trick with the card.