Giant Deck

48 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey guys, i want to put together a Red/White Multiplayer deck to suprise my friends. The creatures i'm thinking about adding are

Sunrise Sovereign
Jareth, Leonine titan
Hamletback Goliath
Giant harbringer
arbiter of knollridge
stinkdrinker daredevil

Now, I'm wondering what spells to add with these fellas. Guess i'm just looking at where to start with a giant deck. Also i might need a few more creatures.

Some of the spells i was thinkin about were.

Giant's ire
favor of the mighty
energy bolt
mana flare
reflect damage
sigil of the new dawn
rule of law

As you can tell, i have no idea where i want to go with this deck,, i just know that i want to make a deck with those creatures included, so i need some more ideas from yall.
For creatures...

More critters to get giants out faster:
Grinning Ignus can provide some mana boostage to get giants out sooner.
Soulbright Flamekin a way to turn 6 mana into 8 red.
Sisters of the Flame means more red mana.

Now, my experience with my giant deck has been that people like to kill these creatures. For this reason, I'd also suggest Deathrender.

Some other giant choices:
Oathsworn Giant is pretty nice, providing vigilance and +0/+2 for all your other creatures.
Hammerheim Deadeye can provide some flying protection, but is a bit costly.
Thundercloud Shaman makes for a nice way to clear the area of non-giants. And he's relatively affordable for a giant.
Thanks guys, Brion and the guy that gets rid of the fliers will have to be additions to the creature base.

I thought about mana production, and i might put in some seething song or other spells to help me with production, i don't want it to be that creature heavy and take away from the giant theme by adding in other creatures.

What about some other spells to add to it, i'm not sure where i want to go with spells.

disenchant possibly and maybe that white instant that stops me from being the target of spells??

I have older cards as well, I want to mix in some old with some new, doesn't have to be standard legal or anything.
Aura of Silence, Ghostly Prison, Sol Ring, Rolling Thunder, and Shivan Gorge all might bear considering.

Rule of Law can draw fire in MP games, as it slows things down for too many people - its ALMOST as bad as playing global land destruction.

Maybe Safe Haven/Momentary Blink and Desolation Giant? Temporarily hide your guys, sweep the board, then smash face when your guys come back?

Pyroclasm might keep you around long enough for the giants to reach play.
A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.
Since there isn't any second turn giants in Lorwyn I think Kithkin Greatheart would be a big help.
2nd turn giant. Also available in black, green, and blue.
I hear ya on the second turn thing, but is it really that big of deal in Multiplayer?? From my experience, not a lot happens on the first 5 turns in multiplayer as far as game breaking decisions.
If your group doen't play weenies then you can just concentrate on late game. In your case, you may want to bring The fat.
Oh ya,, Hamletback is the man. Finally got my deck together fellas,, let me know what to change. My group plays for late game fun and we are all casual players.

creatures

sunrise sovereign x4 A must for any giant deck
jareth, leonine titan x2 old stud who strikes fear into my buddies
hamletback goliath x4 This guy can get pretty huge
avian changeling x2
arbiter of knollridge x2 In case things go bad early
stinkdrinker daredevil x4 Even with manaflare, i like this dude
oathsworn giant x3 big guys not tapping, i think so

spells

pandemonium x2
giant's ire x3 Steady damage with a draw engine
mana flare x2 Mainly in there for energy bolt, but also for the fatties
energy bolt x3 main source of dmg or lifegain
rule of law x2 Opponents won't be able to take adv of manaflare
orim's thunder x2 Gotta have a way to rid the art/ench
swords to plowsharex2
spirit loop x3 More lifegain.

land

plains x8
mountains x9
boros garrison x3

Now i thought about adding in bedlam or sigil of the new dawn and some others, but not sure what i should take out or add. I was also going to run the desolation giant ghostway combo but that took up to many spell slots and figured to cost me some mana.
Main thing I'd change is to find a way to work in a pair of Thundercloud Shamans, perhaps in place of the Pandemonium or Giant's Ire.
The only reason i didn't add any thundercloud shaman to the deck, is because he would take out my stinkdrinker daredevil
That's why there's Runed Stalactite.
good point Cervid, but as far as personal preference goes,, i hate equipments and the thought of equipments, why Wizards made equipments i do not know.

I have given them a chance to, and i just get bored playing with them in any deck.

It's a shame too since whispersilk cloak is an extremely powerful card.
Alright, internet is back, i am drinking, and my actual deck is in the car.

BUT... I have a giant deck of mostly Lorwyn cards that fared alright in an 8-player chaos game. Partially due to inept deckbuilding on other players' parts, but still...

Thundercloud Shaman is a must-have 4 of. So is Giant Harbinger (please spell it correctly, folks, its H-A-R-B-I-N-G-E-R, not H-A-R-B-R-I-N-G-E-R), which can be used so nicely to seek out single copies of the more expensive giants.

Oathsworn Giant is a godsend in this deck. Vigilant giants with stronger toughness makes Lairwatch Giant just plain stupid.

I can't help but feel that Seal of Fire would be an excellent choice for a one-drop in this deck. The kithkin who get larger with giants in play is a decent early drop, too.
A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.
Crib Swap is pretty good in Giants. With a Stinkdrinker out, it's basically StP with a different drawback; it can kill just about anything for good.
I've been playing my giant deck since lorwyn came out at my multiplayer table, and you have to play Brion Stoutarm if you can get your hands on him. Hands down he is the best giant available. Also, I run 4 Stinkdrinker Daredevils and 4 Thundercloud Shamans, the trick is to just not get greedy. As long as you have a stinkdrinker in your hand, playing a thundercloud is fine, you can recover. Normally, I don't even need the second stinkdrinker as I usually have enough mana. Also, a lot of people forget Sunhome Enforcer is a giant, he is fantastic.

If you don't want to include Desolation Giant, at least consider the thundercloud shaman, because aside from pandemonium, whose role isn't to really kill creatures anyway, you don't have any creature removal, which is more prevalent than you might think. I have a full suit of Lightning Helix and Crush Underfoot(Awesome with Brion) in my deck; Creature removal is very important.

EDIT: I also play Arena, which is an all-star in this kind of deck, and is a powerhouse with Brion. And if your metagame is anything like mine, people don't play a lot of land destruction.
I also play Arena, which is an all-star in this kind of deck, and is a powerhouse with Brion. And if your metagame is anything like mine, people don't play a lot of land destruction.

What an excellent idea!
I was kind of thinking the same thing about creature removal. The only thing that holds me back is like you said, i do run pandemonium in there, and i'll be whippin out some fatties. Also lets not forget the occasional orim's thunder which will target some creatures.

The only reason i'm not scared of creatures with this deck, is that chances are i will be doing the beating on the attack scene. The only thing that worries me is my buddies blazing archon
The only reason i'm not scared of creatures with this deck, is that chances are i will be doing the beating on the attack scene. The only thing that worries me is my buddies blazing archon

The earlier recommendation of Crib Swap should help nicely with the archon.

Or lots of Giants and a Thundercloud Shaman.
favor of the mighty is also a good 2nd-turn giant.
This deck loves Gratuitous Violence (especially Thundercloud Shaman).
You could put this in just for flavor and a laugh or two: Dogpile
The mental image is priceless. Well, for you, at least. For you opponent, it would be a NIGHTMARE!!!
Omega gets props for originality.

So i just got through playtesting this deck vs some of my other decks. Even though it's a multiplayer deck, I wanted to see how it ran in one on one. I found that Rule of Law was just as annoying as good, but i'm still not ready to give up on it until i've tested it in multiplayer. Giving everyone mana flare still scares me.

The card that helped me the most in my one on one games probably had to be arbiter of knollridge just because i was playing catch up, just about every game.

The record vs my other decks (no real fast goblin decks or anything) was 4-5. but like i said, this was meant for multiplayer.
Don't give up. I have several decks built for multiplayer and they still well in single. But for some reason, it doesn't work the otherway around, though. Oh well...

Let us know how it works in multiplayer!
I know you said ya dont like it, but in my own giant deck, I have 4 deathrenders, one for each stinkdrinker. If somehow my stinkdrinker dies from thundercloud shaman or they make him die, cuz it SUCKS when they kill him and ya aint got enough mana, I can put a nice beefy giant in his place for no mana whatsoever. Good luck! My own deck is amazing against elves and kithkin, I hope you have the same outcome =)
I took out the four Giant harbinger and replaced them with avian changeling this helped my deck in two areas, number one it lowered the mana curve. and number two it gave me a little flying defense. My next change is going to be to replace the two pandemonium with some creature kill.
Thanks for the replies Kirch...

My final deck consists of

x4 Sunrise sovereign
x2 jareth, leonine titan
x4 hamletback Goliath
x4 Giant harbinger
x3 arbiter of knollridge
x4 stinkdrinker daredevil
x3 oathsworn giant

x3 giant's ire
x2 mana flare
x3 energy bolt
x2 rule of law
x2 orim's thunder
x2 pandemonium
x3 priviledged position

x4 boros garrison
x4 ancient amphitheater
x6 Mountain
x6 plains

Heres an idea: [C]Thundercloud Shaman[/c] + [C]Hamletback Goliath[/c] + [C]Pandemonium[/c] + [C]Gratuitous Violence[/c] + [C]Momentary Blink[/c] = GG for opponents (almost).

First, it clears almost the whole board. Second, it deals 8 damage to each opponent. Third, It buffs up Goliath +8+8. Fourth, you can kill ANYONE that turn with your giants. Fifth, you can play another blink to blink out the Thundercloud Shaman, maybe clearing the board again, then being able to attack once again. Id suggest you use this. Its amazing!
Okay.
A few things.
1. You really should add Thundercloud Shaman.
2. Add Shields of Velis Vel to protect your non-Giant Creatures (makes every creature you control a giant, so not only is the stinkdrinker safe, but he adds to the damage Thundercloud does to your opponent)
3. No crib Swap. It gives your opponent a giant, who is safe from Thundercloud.
4. Lash Out is a lot of fun. And Tarfire really helps to kill bigger creatures when your Thundercloud comes out.
5. Where is your Brion. You need to add Brion, then add some Threaten to use with Brion (throw your opponents creatures right back at their face)

Thats all I got for now.
I just thought of something. You should really think about the card Brawl. It would be good in the deck to take out those creatures that are messing up your game, but they never attack with them, like Whipgrass Entangler or Wellwisher. And if you use it against a deck that has mostly small creatures, well, the damage to you would be minimal, but the opponent would suffer HEAVY casualties.
Just added 2 swords to plowshare

Took out 2 pandemonium

also added the 4 avian changeling which replaced the giant harbinger

Hopefully this is enough creature control....
[C]Avian Changeling[/c] is a horrible 4-of card. I would only put 2-3 in.

ALSO PUT BACK IN PANDEMONIUM AND BRAWL.

Brawl is very good in your deck. Pandemonium is also great, i would play 2 of each of them.
K out two avian changeling,, back in 2 pandemonium

Now what to take out for the brawl ????
I'd rather run Arena over Brawl. Its effect is repeatable and doesn't give anything to your opponents.

I also really, really encourage you to try running Gratuitous Violence.
I actually have a giant deck of my own. Here are some suggestions from my deck:

-Fling is a spell that discourages a lot of attacks and removal. It is really good to use with hamlet back since he dies to all kinds of removal.
-My giants usually has a bad time with weenie swarms. Though pyroclasm is good, powerstone minefield has been awesome in freezing up the red zone; in multiples, it makes your giants uncontested in combat. works really well with callous giant
-sunhome, fortress of the legion can get pretty scary especially in this case because giants are fairly big.
-desolation giant has won me a lot of games and works more effectively than thundercloud shaman because you don't have to commit to a board, which can be shut off by wrath effects, for it to be effective.

In my opinion, favor the mighty should be a 3-4 of. It is simply just too good not to use. after spending all that hard earned mana on a giant, it protects the guy from all kinds of removal and being pro all colors means the giant is unblockable, works well with sunhome.
I actually have a giant deck of my own. Here are some suggestions from my deck:

-Fling is a spell that discourages a lot of attacks and removal. It is really good to use with hamlet back since he dies to all kinds of removal.
-My giants usually has a bad time with weenie swarms. Though pyroclasm is good, powerstone minefield has been awesome in freezing up the red zone; in multiples, it makes your giants uncontested in combat. works really well with callous giant
-sunhome, fortress of the legion can get pretty scary especially in this case because giants are fairly big.
-desolation giant has won me a lot of games and works more effectively than thundercloud shaman because you don't have to commit to a board, which can be shut off by wrath effects, for it to be effective.

In my opinion, favor the mighty should be a 3-4 of. It is simply just too good not to use. after spending all that hard earned mana on a giant, it protects the guy from all kinds of removal and being pro all colors means the giant is unblockable, works well with sunhome.

Let me adress some of these comments.

I wanted to start my giant deck off with desolation giant and ghostway but decided against it, and just overrun them with creatures. favor the mighty is a sweet card that i will agree with, but i play multiplayer with 3 buddies who also have huge mana costing creatures, would hate to give serra avatar or blazing archon two of my buddies favorite creatures protection if you know what i mean. and i should of mentioned i do play with 2 of sunhome, fortress of legion adding that in there now

fling is actually a great idea, i might use that instead of swords to plowshare, just in case i wanna do some beefy damage to my opponent.
Updated version of the deck.

creatures

sunrise sovereign x4 A must for any giant deck
jareth, leonine titan x2 old stud who strikes fear into my buddies
hamletback goliath x4 This guy can get pretty huge
avian changeling x2
arbiter of knollridge x2 In case things go bad early
stinkdrinker daredevil x4 Even with manaflare, i like this dude
oathsworn giant x3 big guys not tapping, i think so

spells

pandemonium x2
giant's ire x3 Steady damage with a draw engine
mana flare x2 Mainly in there for energy bolt, but also for the fatties
energy bolt x3 main source of dmg or lifegain
rule of law x2 Opponents won't be able to take adv of manaflare
orim's thunder x2 Gotta have a way to rid the art/ench
swords to plowsharex2
spirit loop x3 More lifegain.

land

plains x8
mountains x8
sunhome, fortress of the legion x2
boros garrison x2

QUOTE]
How did we let Bloodshot Cyclops and Bloodfire Colossus escape recommendation?

You may not run them, but they bear consideration.

Your X-spells could be better served with storage lands in place of the Boros Garrisons. Maybe some combination of Fungal Reaches and the GW one? It lets you threaten green, but not necessarily run it.

Razia's Purification to REALLY keep control? Granted, it costs 6 and is best if you have giants in play, but still...
I think he put in Razia's Purification BECAUSE he has huge Giants. When he has a few 10/10's with trample out, and everyone else has smaller creatures, he can really go to town on the other players' life totals. I personally like the idea.
I played my RW Giants last night (an inconsistent pile, but fun) and learned that toolboxing via Harbingers is great fun AND some means to get Hamletback Goliath (who gets stupidly big) around creatures entirely is a must.

I use Brion Stoutarm, but Bloodshot Cyclops could work, too. Then again, my inconsistent deck only has 2 Sunrise Sovereign, so perhaps this isn't as much as a problem for you.