top 100 multiplayer cards!?

150 posts / 0 new
Last post
*** please note that the list is not up-to-date with the last series

In my opinion, the best multiplayer cards are the ones that effect only and all your opponents

so here is my top 100 list... please PLEASE argue with this list.

If you want to add cards to my list, please rank it. I you disagree with the ordering please don’t BLAST my list and instead tell me which card should be in which order.

#1 Kokusho, the Evening Star
#2 Underworld Dreams
#3 megrim
#4 soul warden
#5 Essence warden
#6 Congregate
#7 Syphon Soul
#8 Syphon mind
#9 Agent of Masks
#10 Grand Arbiter Augustin IV
#11 sun droplet
#12 Multani, Maro-Sorcerer
#13 Deep-Sea Kraken
#14 subversion
#15 Kaervek the Merciless
#16 Lavaborn Muse
#17 Shivan Gorge
#18 Kavu Predator
#19 Ascendant Evincar
#20 Erayo, Soratami Ascendant
#21 Tarmogoyf
#22 Defense of the Heart
#23 Forgotten Ancient
#24 Leyline of the Void
#25 Urborg Syphon-Mage
#26 Avatar of Woe
#27 Imperial Mask
#28 Land Tax
#29 Burgeoning
#30 Insurrection
#31 Radiate
#32 Lifegift
#33 verdant force
#34 Verdant Embrace
#35 Concerted Effort
#36 Nezumi Shortfang
#37 Rith, the Awakener
#38 Nevinyrral's Disk
#39 balance
#40 Wrath of God
#41 Damnation
#42 Humility
#43 Ixidron
#44 Lurking Jackals
#45 Lurking Skirge
#46 Mortivore
#47 Hidden Ancients
#48 Hidden Gibbons
#49 Hidden Guerrillas
#50 Hidden Herd
#51 Grim Feast
#52 Grave Pact
#53 Seedborn Muse
#54 plague wind
#55 Reverse the Sands
#56 No Mercy
#57 Blatant Thievery
#58 pox
#59 Desolation Giant
#60 Rhystic Study
#61 Telepathy
#62 Psychic Allergy
#63 Soul Barrier
#64 Pernicious Deed
#65 Fatespinner
#66 Dimir Doppelganger
#67 Vesuvan Doppelganger
#68 False Prophet
#69 Rishadan footpad
#70 Rishadan cutpurse
#71 Rishadan brigand
#72 Thrashing Wumpus
#73 Stasis
#74 Magus of the Moon
#75 Baru, Fist of Krosa
#76 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
#77 Nihilith
#78 Thundermare
#79 Timbermare
#80 Platinum Angel
#81 Scourge of Kher Ridges
#82 Caller of the Claw
#83 Pernicious Deed
#84 Myojin of Cleansing Fire
#85 Limited Resources
#86 Reiver Demon
#87 Barter in Blood
#88 Magus of the Candelabra
#89 Beast of Burden
#90 Dimensional Breach
#91 Test of Endurance
#92 Grip of Chaos
#93 Ebony Owl Netsuke
#94 Iron Maiden
#95 Misers' Cage
#96 Paupers' Cage
#97 Rackling
#98 Skullcage
#99 Viseling
#100 Wheel of Torture
#101 The Rack
#102 Furnace of Rath
#103 Confusion in the Ranks
Nice topic; I'm also interested in what other good mutiplayer cards sometimes go unnoticed.

I know in my casual playgroup (usually consisting of only 3-4 players), Urborg Syphon-Mage often comes up.

I also play a Megrim / Underworld Dreams deck so good multiplayer discard/draw cards work great - example = Wheel of Fate.

Maybe the best way is to just get on Gatherer and type in "each opponent" or "each other player" and see what cards come up.
These might help:
[thread=837810]Tich Black Guide[/thread]
[thread=861562]Cervid Green Guide[/thread]
[thread=875977]krichaiushii Red Guide[/thread]
Those articles pop up now and again, but are rarely very up-to-date.

You might try looking at the three links in my sig; they may not be complete, but they are very solid.

EDIT: Taylor beats me to the punch!

We can easily debate white and blue, as those have yet to be written.
A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.
thanks akkountent, let's hope we get many good replies.

in fact, one of my friends has an Underworld Dreams combo that if very powerfull specially in multiplayer team play.

one of my favorite cards that I never see in articles is Multani, Maro-Sorcerer

we could go on and on with these cards.. it would be really cool to have a top 100 list

"Maybe the best way is to just get on Gatherer and type in "each opponent" or "each other player" and see what cards come up"

good idea
Those articles pop up now and again, but are rarely very up-to-date.

You might try looking at the three links in my sig; they may not be complete, but they are very solid.

EDIT: Taylor beats me to the punch!

We can easily debate white and blue, as those have yet to be written.

Just beat you by less than 60 seconds :D
I apologize for being a bit off topic with this, but Krichaiushii, I was reading your "red" guide and the term "Cockroach" creatures just had me rolling for a little while. I think I might use that to describe a "weenie" creature from now on.
I apologize for being a bit off topic with this, but Krichaiushii, I was reading your "red" guide and the term "Cockroach" creatures just had me rolling for a little while. I think I might use that to describe a "weenie" creature from now on.

Off topic:I actually use the term "cockroach" to describe rebels

Anyways: anything that affects multiple players for its costs, "gorilla" cards, can be considered a great multiplayer card. My top favorites are innocent blood, syphon mind. no mercy is also an awesome card imho.
My favourites (off the top of my head):

Black
Debtor's Knell
Syphon Soul
Syphon Mind
Grave Pact
Urborg Syphon-Mage
Underworld Dreams

Green
Nacatl War-Pride
Seedborn Muse
Essence Warden

White
Soul Warden
Reya Dawnbringer

Red
Warp World
Grip of Chaos
Insurrection

Artifact
Howling Mine
Teferi's Puzzle Box
Naked Singularity

There are plenty more, but those are the ones that spring to mind as my favourite (not neccessarily the best though). (Can you tell I don't really play blue ;) )
My all-time favorite is a Forked Shahrazad.

The cursing and spitting that this causes is unreal. Especially if your deck is built with 4 of each. Subgames within subgames within subgames... :D

The term "cockroach" (and the other animal terms) aren't mine. A gentleman named Anthony Alongi did.

I tried for a bit to find the article he debuted them in, but grew impatient, so stopped looking.

They make for a decent means of rating cards.

For more ideas on MP, read the Serious Fun articles in the archives. Alongi did the early ones, and now the Ferret does. Different styles, but all useful information and fun reads.

--------
To the thread itself, some of my nominations would be:

Propaganda, Sunder, Prosperity, Windfall, Wheel and Deal, and Mind Bomb in blue and creatures with Vigilance in white, with Karakas and Shivan Gorge being my land recommendations.

Elrond the Elf and akkountent - you are both going on about Underworld Dreams decks in your groups. Here is mine, for comparison.
A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.
I'm actually looking for more blue staples in multiplayer since I tend to be the U/B mage of my play group. In addition to the cards mentioned by krichaiushii, my playgroup cringes to Fade away (a blue pseudowrath since I generally play creatureless when it's in my deck) and curfew (which works really well with the the stick and it doesn't target). A few others include evacuation (another blue pseudo wrath) and rhystic study to tie down their mana. That's all I can think of at the moment. I'll add more when I find them.
My Trade Thread Control capabilities are in all the colors. The difference is in the way they say no.
thank's everyone.... it seems like there are no official top 100 list for the best multiplayer cards!... so it's seems like we will have to build it.

stupid question.. how do I quote a card that you can click on?

thanks
elrond
[ c ]Anger[ /c ] without the spaces = Anger
[ c=Anger ]Really Angry[ /c ] without the spaces = Really Angry
The mass board-sweepers (Wrath et al) would seem to have even more power here; where they can deal with multiple opponents' stuff.
Magic player since July 2004. Timmy/Vorthos/Spike.

Originally Posted by {mikeyG}, MTGS admin "[i]n my book, the real cool people are the ones who say "**** what everyone else does just to fit in, I'm going to do what I want." "Gonna take these haters down, and toast them like some Eggo's, man..." - K. Flay, 'We have Arrived' It's Worldwake preorder time: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75850/22196965/KingAlans_Worldwake_preorder_thread

The mass board-sweepers (Wrath et al) would seem to have even more power here; where they can deal with multiple opponents' stuff.

If your playgroup is casual enough to allow the mana ramp up, then Plague Wind is fun Although a new card I found the other day for my 4 colour reanimation deck (don't ask) was Desolation Giant. He's cool
I'm actually looking for more blue staples in multiplayer since I tend to be the U/B mage of my play group.

Equilibrium
Shimmer
Sunken Hope
Wash Out
Distorting Wake
Bazaar of Wonders (needs its own deck)
Vision Skeins
Blatant Thievery
In my opinion, the best multiplayer cards are the ones that effect only and all your opponents
so here is the beginning of my top 100 list... please PLEASE argue with this list. Once it will be done, I will post it on my web site
If you want to add cards to my list, please rank it.

#1 Underworld Dreams w/ megrim / Prosperity and/or Windfall and/or Wheel and Deal

#2 Urborg Syphon-Mage

#3 Kokusho, the Evening Star

#4 sun droplet

#5 soul warden

#6 Essence warden

#7 Congregate

#8 Syphon Soul

#9 Syphon mind

#10 Multani, Maro-Sorcerer

#11 subversion

#12 Shivan Gorge

#13 Hidden Ancients

#14 Hidden Gibbons

#15 Hidden Guerrillas

#16 Hidden Herd

#17 Ascendant Evincar

#18 Defense of the Heart

#19 Forgotten Ancient

#20 Imperial Mask

#21 Rhystic Study

#22 Lurking Jackals

#23 Lurking Skirge

#24 Mortivore

#25 pox

#26 Grave Pact

#27 Seedborn Muse

#28 plague wind

#29 Reverse the Sands

#30 No Mercy

#31 Blatant Thievery

#32 Desolation Giant
umm. . . did you guys forget The Best Multiplayer Card Ever?

Also Kavu Predator is qute mean.
Thanks krichaiushii. The cards that you have proposed are very good. The only problem is that most of them like many other suggestions I have seen before, do not only affect opponents. They also affect the caster in a positive or negative way. I’m aware that combined with other cards or a deck strategy, effect that where negative to you become positive. I.E. massive discarding cards with a reanimator deck. An other example would be using pestilence combined with Circle of Protection: Black. Pestilence alone is not that good because it does damage to you also, but combined with a circle it becomes really good. We could go on and on with this conversation but my point is that, in my opinion, the top 50 cards should be reserved for the brut single card opponent annoyance. That’s the reason why I have retained only a few of your suggestions. Once the top 50 multiplayer card list is done, we could build a top 50 multiplayer combo and strategy list. See top post for updated top 50 list.
Thanks krichaiushii. The cards that you have proposed are very good. The only problem is that most of them like many other suggestions I have seen before, do not only affect opponents. They also affect the caster in a positive or negative way. I’m aware that combined with other cards or a deck strategy, effect that where negative to you become positive. I.E. massive discarding cards with a reanimator deck. An other example would be using pestilence combined with Circle of Protection: Black. Pestilence alone is not that good because it does damage to you also, but combined with a circle it becomes really good. We could go on and on with this conversation but my point is that, in my opinion, the top 50 cards should be reserved for the brut single card opponent annoyance. That’s the reason why I have retained only a few of your suggestions. Once the top 50 multiplayer card list is done, we could build a top 50 multiplayer combo and strategy list. See top post for updated top 50 list.

By that logic, Underworld Dreams and Megrim should be off this list because they are terrible cards by themselves. Doing 1 damage a turn to your opponents a turn is not good. Nor is dealing 2 damage to oponent when they cycle a card or something.
Stinkweed Imp(and other cheap basilisks)!
Whos gonna waste their time bamming it? And whos gonna attack into you?
Drop one on three and you are good till turn 10!
(reserved for FFA use only)

edit: I like crime//punishment, pernicious deed is so good that even its weak cousin could make top 50
Thanks MagusoftheLotus… you made me discover a great card. But it’s not Pernicious Deed. It’s Kavu Predator. What a great card. Two mana for a 2/2 trample is already good but it’s affect in a multiplayer game in awesome!... it even counter’s a infinite life combo deck. Pernicious Deed is also good in my opinion, but not the best because it also affect you. Since it is easy to put it to your advantage, I have decided to put in the list.

For what concerns Underworld Dreams and Megrim, I agree with you that alone they don’t belong in first position. But I totally disagree when you say that they are terrible cards. In a real multiplayer game situation, it often happens that an opponent draws and discards additional cards so then they become great. I have seen so many multiplayer games whipped out by these cards that I had no choice to put the lot in first position. If other members disagree with this choice, I will change there positions in the list
Thanks for the great list.

Could you guys list some blue cards, I really love playing blue but barely see any blue cards on the list.

I moved to a new group and the group loves playing multiplayer so I need a good multiplayer deck.

I was wondering if these cards are any good in multiplayer?

4x Seizan, Perverter of Truth - 3BB for 6/5 creature. RARE. At the beginning of EACH players upkeept, that player loses 2 life and draws two cards.

You thought Phyrexian Arena is good in multiplayer? This card is a whole lot better. For two more black mana, you get the equivalent of 2 Phyrexian Arena on top of a 6/5 body to boot. Whether you use it to draw tons of cards, or get it killed right after you and all your teammates drew 2 cards each from it but your opponent hasn't yet drawn any, it honestly is one of the best cards in multiplayer.

4x Seal of Doom - 2B Enchantment, Sacrifice it to destroy target nonblack creature. It can't regenerate.

In multiplayer, no opponent will attack a player that has this enchantment sitting on their table. It's a sure fire way to get their best nonblack creature killed. This is one of the best multiplayer cards you can play.

4x Last Laugh - RARE

This enchantment is seen at the #1 spot of many lists of the funnest multiplayer cards in the game. In multiplayer games where there are lots and lots of creatures. This guy makes the whole table into a giant power keg. If one permenent gets destoryed for any reason, it sets off a chain reaction with effects so complicated that it's almost impossible to figure them out before hand but usually end up with every creature on the table, and many of the players at lower life totals dead. If Seal of Doom saw to it that you have the most life of any player, there's a good chance this card just won you the game all by itself.

4x Subversion - RARE. Enchantment. During each upkeep, each opponent loses 1 life and you gain 1 life for each 1 life lost this way. In multiplayer games which often stretch out for long periods of time, this enchantment often gains you absurd amounts of life.

4x Enslave - Enchant Creature. You control enchanted creature. At the beginning of your upkeep, enchanted creature deals 1 damage to its owner. Talk about adding insult to injury, not only did you just steal your opponents prized Akroma, Angel of Fury or Platinum Angel (the only card that does that in black), but you ping him for a damage each turn too.

4x Ashes to Ashes - For 3 mana, lets you remove any two nonartifact creatures of your choice from the game.

The other multiplayer staples also included in this 80 card lot of cards...

4x Pestilence

4x Abyssal Gatekeeper

4x Contagion

4x Drain Life

4x SYPHON MIND

4x Syphon Soul

4x Urborg, Syphone Mage

That was quote from a lot being sold of the "best black multiplayer cards" supposedly listed together here...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300134762201
and was wondering if it is worth buying the lot or if buying it is a ripoff.

Thanks in advance.
Black/Red and Black/Blue are my favorite color combinations so this may get biased here but hear me out.

Screams from Within/Echoing Truth/Echoing Decay to fight all token decks among many many other uses. Seriously just imagine the uses for Screams from Within....now imagine drawing a second one and having both run rampant.

Kaervek the Merciless is just a game breaker all by himself.

Rakdos Augermage continues to rip combo pieces out of everyones hands and can hold off speedy decks due to first strike.

Deepfire Elemental is a maybe. Though he is a great token killer and kills multiples upon multiples of creatures while not tapping and also having legs.

Curse of the Cabal can be used to force people to sacrifice permanets and be used for combat tricks because your allowed to sacrifice permanents to it as well. Mindslicer can be detonated at any time (well more like any of your upkeeps) as well as Kokusho or others.

Fatespinner slows down everyone and helps give the blue mage some time. Highly targetable but no one feels like wasting the spell to kill it as it isn't really hurting anyone and just gives everyone time to think. More useful for you though.

Avatar of Woe Avatar of WOAH! Usually costs 2 to play. She teams up with Mortivore for some scary plays.

Psychogenic Probe is just an auto win against green decks. They dare try to search for lands or creatures they are going to feel it. Plus it has many other uses that I can just let you guys use your imaginations.

Bribery for all the blue mages out there who want to punish them for having powerful creatures.

Treachery works wonders.

Memnarch does not deserve to be in the top 50 but since this is a top 100 I would like to nominate him as King of scaring everyone that is playing and thanks to his friend counterspell and Dimir Doppelganger he isn't going anywhere for a long time. He has won me so many games it's unreal. Taking over a permanent every single turn is scary.

Dimir Doppelganger is just as amazing as Mortivore.

Pongify OK I'll admit this one is more of a joke though it's in my multiplayer deck and it isn't coming out as it has helped me win so many matches it's unreal. Plus it has good synergy with the Doppelganger.

Also the new storage lands from coldsnap get my vote as being more then helpful at powering up allied color decks. What do you guys think?? I can understand disagreeing with half of them but definitely try them all out.
Great suggestions RavenGuildMaster. I will put some of them in the top 50 right away. Specially Avatar of woe. I love that card.. and if you can play it for 2 mana!.. wow. I also like Fatespinner…. I should have taught of that one before. Kaervek the Merciless... Wow…that one is going in the top 10 for sure! Dimir Doppelganger…. I'm also considering adding Vesuvan Doppelganger…. There is always something good to copy in a multiplayer game!...

Fast warrior. We just listed a few good blue cards… you can also consider using clone, control magic, soothsaying (I love this card). Day of the Dragons (combined w/ saproling tokens) outch!

If you want to play mono black multiplayer… beware!... black is very powerful but also very vulnerable. You MUST have cards like Nevinyrral's Disk (witch I'm considering for top 50). The black cards you have listed are ok. But in my opinion, the fun of playing multiplayer is starting a deck from scratch!.. and surprising everyone with new cards an strategies.

Question for everyone… now that I have pretty much added every opponents bashing cards… I'm thinking of adding mass destruction cards like:

Nevinyrral's Disk
balance
Wrath of God
Damnation
Pernicious Deed

And what about Caller of the Claw

What to you think???
Sun Quan, Lord of Wu, Warmonger and Thrashing Wumpus are often considered to be the best multiplayer creatures.
Rishadan footpad
Rishadan cutpurse
Rishadan brigand

These pirates can potentially kill 1 permanent per opponent when they come into play. Fun!

Also, squeeze is another fun card if you're playing a deck with no sorceries.

I mention these cards because I am making a multiplayer blue deck based on the previously mentioned pirates and the barrier cards. Can anyone help out with suggestions there?
Thanks spandyrules. there are some multiplayer blue cards that could be very interesting in your pirate deck and other combo decks. Mana Short, Drain Power, Early Frost, Back to Basics (this one kills $$$ decks! Trust me:D ), Exhaustion

hope this help's you
A white defensive combo, very effective in multiplayer or duelling, that's easy to get out early on:
Mother of Runes - Inviolability - Pariah :D

I usually end up throwing Inviolability and Pariah on a creature other than the Mother ( Mounted Archers is the one I usually go for), and just use her to ward off kill-cards like terror, etc. I run this combo in a semi-lifegain/direct damage/attrition W/R deck, and have had a lot of success and fun both in multiplayer and duels.

I also have a Megrim - Underworld Dreams deck, but the group I play with hates it. I've done over 100 damage to each opponent before turn 10 with High Tide - Prosperity - Windfall combos. It's especially worthwhile to throw in a Lim-Dul's Vault or Diabolic Vision or anything similar to stack the deck and get multiple Windfalls lined up. Definitely a fun deck to pull out once in a while, but if you play with a consistent group of the same people, they'll start to hate you for it, no matter how diplomatic you are ;).

Another great card in multiplayer (depending on your play style - I usually go for no creatures, or at the most very few creatures, so it works for me) is Tainted AEther. It can really shut down a token deck, and nullify the infinite-Congregaters. It works really well with Dingus Staff and Vile Requiem to remove creatures from the equation, then throw out a Subversion or two and wait it out with an evil grin. With blue or white thrown in, you can shut everyone down pretty brutally.

Cool topic, by the way

Cheers!
kokusho
im not really sure about this one, im pretty sure it will be killed almost instantly.

Erayo, Soratami Ascendant
Grim Feast is somewhere in the top (read the errata).
Japanesebum247 : Great suggestion!.... I love Erayo, Soratami Ascendant. And indeed your opponents will get out of there ways to get rid of this creature!!... But do you really care… you paid two mana’s for it!.. lol
I will put it in the top 20

Cervid : Grim Feast is a great suggestion considering the errata. I will add it to the list…. Thank’s
i think that false prophet deserves an honorable mention, in black/white muliplayer decks it can be devastating
a few artifacts which deserve honourable mention;

Planar Portal - it's expensive as hell to cast/use, but in the slower multiplayer game, this card could potentially shine. furthermore, past the first activation, it is a constant source of card advantage AND tutoring, which can be priceless. combo with something like reito lantern for much amusing brokenness... honourable mention because it is expensive as hell to play, and thus not really that broken. good for finding combos though!

That Which Was Taken - again, another splashy effect. this one turns everything into a major cockroach, which can only be fun. also keeps important stuff on the table. once again, crazy expensive to play, but potentially worth it. Oh, and if you have this in a deck, consider Myojin of Cleansing Fire for much irritation :p