Magic 2014 iPad Updates

18 posts / 0 new
Last post

The Magic 2014—Duels of the Planeswalkers team has been working to resolve performance issues that some iPad users are experiencing, and two game updates have gone out recently to address those concerns. The first update implemented some memory optimizations to improve stability, and the more recent one included the following notes:

• iPad Air stability issues addressed.
  • Loading animation functionality addressed.
  • Additional crash and performance fixes.

If you're an iPad user and haven't updated your game through the App Store yet, please do so! 

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

Thanks, Sean.

I've run both DotP 2013 and 2014 on an iPad 2. I currently have iOs 7. While the December 12th update (the one with Deck Pack 3) solved some of the crashing for me, this latest December 18th update (1.4.1) has not fully resolved the crashing issue even if DotP is the only app running. Ramaz encounters are the worst culprit, by the way.

As a point of interest, the update has also made the loading animations very choppy. More significantly, 36 of 38 achievements are gone. They will come back when you meet the requirements (i.e. a win helps the game remember total wins or damage done), but it won't track through uses of the app. The next time I open DotP, I will be back at 2/38. Game Center still tracks them, but DotP does not.

The disappointing thing for me is that the December 12th update had stabilized it enough that I wasn't frustrated every time I tried to play the game, but the subsequent update has taken a step back for me. It seems like in trying to fix some of the issues, some of the core functionality of the app has been compromised. I would love to know if Stainless plans to release any further updates.

Thanks again for keeping us posted.

I'm on an iPad Retina and I have the exact same issues: achievements gone and choppy loading.

Wizards_Sean wrote:

The Magic 2014—Duels of the Planeswalkers team has been working to resolve performance issues that some iPad users are experiencing, and two game updates have gone out recently to address those concerns. The first update implemented some memory optimizations to improve stability, and the more recent one included the following notes:

If you're an iPad user and haven't updated your game through the App Store yet, please do so! 

How about some updates to the PC version that fix game breaking bugs that have been there since release? You know.. the bug where you cant click continue, the bug where the timer goes down but the turn never ends, the bug where the zoomed in card covers your play area while your playing, the syncing issues that cause disconnects on this very undemanding and basic game, etc..

Shameful to have these bugs go on for this long.

Githilyak_ wrote:

Wizards_Sean wrote:

How about some updates to the PC version that fix game breaking bugs that have been there since release? You know.. the bug where you cant click continue, the bug where the timer goes down but the turn never ends, the bug where the zoomed in card covers your play area while your playing, the syncing issues that cause disconnects on this very undemanding and basic game, etc..

Shameful to have these bugs go on for this long.

this is about a 5% chance one of the bugs we reported in dotp 2014 will be fixed in 2015. release. but only if they add about 30 more bugs in the process.

i mean honestly wizards.... who the hell is running this show.... no customer support at all.  i guarentee you that about 10% of the people who play this game could look at your code and fix about 90% of the bugs you have in the game within a week sence first seeing the code and that they would do it for FREE.

infact im willign to bet some of them could even hack the game to work properly in single player even if it wont work in multiplayer. WITHOUT given access to the game code

I appreciate that Wizards has been trying to make DOTP 2014 on iPad a reliable experience. Unfortunately, the full set of iPad updates seems to be making my experience worse on balance, rather than better.

* I'm experiencing a brand new issue where the opponent and I remain stuck during the "deciding whether to mulligan" phase. This never happened before but now happens about 50% of the time. It seems that once you get stuck here, the only way out is for one player to quit the duel. (Probably counting as a loss on the leaderboards? Who knows...) 

* Related to the above issue, if the opponent quits after getting stuck during the "deciding whether to mulligan" phase, and I have chosen to draw a new hand once or more during that phase, the game will always throw away my chosen hand and give me back the first hand I drew, without giving me the option to mulligan again.

* I'm experiencing another new, probably related issue where once the opponent and I proceed past the mulligan phase to the start of the duel, the oppoent will very frequently vanish at the start of their first turn. There's no proof that this is a bug, but this seems to be happening a lot more than it ever did before, and when the AI takes over, the opponent often seems to have good, totally playable hands that wouldn't merit quitting on the first turn.

* When a game actually starts and I maintain a connection with an opponent, the app crashe midgame probably around 1/3 of the time, making for an experience that is still extremely frustrating.

* A more minor point, but during the duel loading screen with the spinning circle of light in the center, that circle used to have a smooth animation. Now the animation is choppy and laggy, giving the feel that the app is unstable and overloaded and about to crash... which of course it very often does.

I play online (Wifi), 1-v-1 free for all 99% of the time, on a 1gen IPad Mini running 7.0.4 with no other apps open. I understand that a Mini is probably not the ideal machine for this game, but it's baffling that DOTP 2013 on my Mini could have been such a smooth experience from a stability standpoint, and 2014 is so ridiculously unstable.

Magic 2014 is virtually unplayable. 

The app crashes every single time I play a match in any mode, from campaign to custom. I don't even get to play for 10 mins at a stretch. By turn 4-5, the app will crash. I'm using an iPad mini (running iOS 7) and have updated the magic 2014 app to its most recent patch. 

Whats going on? The "fix-it" patch just made the game more unstable than it used to be. 

Unplayable. Unenjoyable. I want my money back. 

Got so excited when I saw the update.  Then so disappointed when I started playing and it crashes just as much as before.  Ug.

stuzzicato, I'm having all the same problems as you. Not sure how the game somehow got worse, but I'm glad to know it's not only me having these problems.

I've noticed something about when the game crashes, and I just wanted to pass it on in case it was somehow actionable. It seems like the crashes almost always occur when there is some kind of significant shift in a game's momentum. I'm sure it is more complicated than this, but to me, it seems like there are fundamentally 4 major AI playing styles, depending on the board state. You could generalize them like this:

Virtually certain impending loss >> Defensive/Cautious >> Offensive/Aggressive >> Virtually certain impending victory

It is worth noting that, in my experience, nearly all of the crashes occur when a game play happens that cause the AI to shift from one of these four playing style modes to a different mode. It is also worth noting that this remains true whether I am playing against the AI (campaign more or AI takeover), or against an actual live opponent, suggesting that the AI is somehow "always on," even when a live player is behind the steering wheel. It seems that whatever computations have to happen when the AI changes modes frequently overload the app, causing most of the crashes.

Can anyone else back up what I'm describing here? 

Wizards_Sean wrote:

Hi Sean, 

I'm unable to launch an online game on magic for ipad - it works some of the time (about 1/10 times) with a random opponent but when trying to invite a friend (i.e. my brother on his ipad), it allows us to invite and notes that we're both ready but then as it launches the game, it gets stuck on the background blue screen of the game and then appears to time out or something, just returning to the host a game screen. It's really infuriating because we bought the game on both ipads so that we could play against each other... We have only managed one successful game since we bought the app last year - we both upated the app, I even completely deleted it on both ipads and redownloaded it and still no luck - I think it is actually really terrible that it advertises that there is the option for multiplayer when it doesn't work. I would never ever have bought the game if I had known the multiplayer doesn't work. 

I used to LOVE wizard of the coast games but I'm totally disgusted by the fact that this problem has happened since we bought the game months ago and still zero improvement as though the developers don't give a damn that people are buying their game and it works like crap. 

I just bought the app 2 days ago for my IOS7 apple mini.  When I click on a duel, it gives me the spinning circle and the crashes.  I've closed all my other apps and am not downloading anything in the background. 

Device:

iPad mini - model no MD528X/A

iOS 7.1.1

Capacity 11.5GB free of 13.4GB

App

MtG:DotP 2014 

ver: 1.4.1

size: 1.3GB

installed 22nd April 2014

full game unlocked after second app load (as the first app instantiation crashed)

Problem:

Random in game app crash. Occurs:

• during app load (10% of occasions)
  • during various single player campaign matches (hasn't crashed in challenges mode. haven't tested in network environment)

​Notes:

device has been reset to factory default

mtg 2014 is the only app that has been installed, no other preloaded apple apps have been instantiated

there were no crashes when game in free mode (ran frequently over 24 hours), once game unlocked crashes began again

most crashes occur when it is the AI's turn

occasionally during app restart it requests a re-login to game centre.

on most occasions a Game Centre notice will indicate the unlocking of the Spell Delver achievement

other previously gained achievements locked again (e.g. Flawless Victory)

the "Extras" menu has been rehighted indicating a new selection to view.

Please indicate a schedule of estimated resolution time or inform me on refund procedures. I will also accept a steam gift of the game and move my playing to that platform (this will be a last resort option however as I have unlock several packs and their premium foils)

Hi, 

just downloaded the app for my ipad mini and it crashes every single time I try to play. So far I haven't been to play any games, because the game keeps crashing, which is really annoying and frustrating. When can we have a stable version of this app? I'm not going to buy the premium version of something that clearly doesn't work... Fix it please!

Dear Sean,

Could you tell me how to switch language in my brand new copy of Magic 2014 APP installed on an android system? (samsung tab3)

I have Italian language on and I wish to have my cards and everything in english (italian translation S*CKS!).

Plus i wish to report often running games opened, upon swithcing app/screeen/an-incoming-call it resets the duel.....that s very very very frustrating...! (but i think there is nothing much to do about it right now...)

Thanks a lot for you help anyway

Roberto

So... the consensus is that Magic 2014 is a broken mess that won't be fixed, but they promise that Magic 2015 coming out soon will have everything fixed and we might actually be able to play multiplayer matches with friends again on iOS devices?  I still can't believe they don't have a debugging system in place. 

I've been playing Plague Inc. on my iPad 2 and an update last month introduced a crashing bug at the end of every game, but they have a built-in crash/diagnostics report submission dialog that comes up after every crash, and so they fixed that crashing bug in 4 days with subsequent update with the text "Fixed crashing bug - sorry".  That's how you support your product.

Now, I WANT Magic 2015 to work, but how I can I trust that after the debacle of having Magic 2014 (and Magic 2013) broken after iOS7 came out.

After all, iOS8 will be out this fall and so is that going to happen all over again, Magic 2015 will work great on iOS7 and then break on iOS8 and nothing will get fixed until 2016...???

Well, tried out Magic 2015 on my iPad2 and a multiplayer game against a friend and his iPad2 actually worked, open mic and all.  I still can't believe they never did anything to fix 2014, since they seem to have figured out their iOS coding problem.

ivory9ate wrote:

Well, tried out Magic 2015 on my iPad2 and a multiplayer game against a friend and his iPad2 actually worked, open mic and all.  I still can't believe they never did anything to fix 2014, since they seem to have figured out their iOS coding problem.

That's actually been their MO since 2012. Record any bugs, make sure they don't happen in the next game.

Outside of a single patch each year, there is no attempt made to fix the game after it's released.

Sign In to post comments