Dodge & Burn Awesomeness!

9 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hey all

Thought I'd share a few games I played online as D&B that were pretty cool and might be appreciated here, I feel Game 1 was especially entertaining!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMji2hA6e9g

The video contains commentary recorded live as I was playing. Oh and as a fun challenge you can post here or in the yt comments if you spot a subtle misplay; an idea / strategy that was overlooked during the later parts of the 1st game that could very well have affected the outcome. (There's a specific misplay that I've already discovered and have in mind). :D

Check out my youtube channel for playthroughs, deck builds and online play with voice commentary! www.youtube.com/user/Fatality101

Not seen everything, but I have seen you playing these cards.

Not rly worth to run there are better cards for these spots

Pongify 

Pillage

Invoke the Firemind

Peek

Pillage?

I get the other 3, but pillage? Tri Colored Decks beware.

2 + 2 = fish

Interesting, I think we have different playstyles or builds for D&B because personally I value those cards very highly
The way I build does involve reaching late game to make the most of my Whelk and X mana cost burn.

Regarding pongify it's the only way to comfortably deal with those beefy creatures with life totals higher than your land count, so instead of using an entire arsenal of cost-efficient burn to drop a single creature you can use pongify and combo with Sulfurous Blast / Searing Spear if necessary to kill the ape.

Check out my youtube channel for playthroughs, deck builds and online play with voice commentary! www.youtube.com/user/Fatality101

Personally, I use Pongify as a sideboard card against Chant and Dracomancer, since their creatures can be beyond even the biggest X burn spells when you need them to die, while a 3/3 vanilla won't be accomplishing much.

cheetahhhh wrote:

Interesting, I think we have different playstyles or builds for D&B because personally I value those cards very highly
The way I build does involve reaching late game to make the most of my Whelk and X mana cost burn.

Regarding pongify it's the only way to comfortably deal with those beefy creatures with life totals higher than your land count, so instead of using an entire arsenal of cost-efficient burn to drop a single creature you can use pongify and combo with Sulfurous Blast / Searing Spear if necessary to kill the ape.

you got so many card draws in this deck and every of the other 16 card draw cards like future sight, browbeat, the draw 3 discard 1 land, cycle card, elecrtosyze etc are better than invoke

Invoke is a very bad card and wont help you in no matter what situation, tell me 1 reason why you think invoke is worth the spot? if you play for fun yes, but if you wanna play ftw dont play invoke , its just a fun card in 2vs2 maybe

also why do you need land destruction? the top tier decks dont rly care about losing 1 land because MM AG zombies with damage you for 1 more turn when you play that card its like 1 extra turn for these decks

only 2 decks probably care when you destroy their land in early game, but in late game its a dead card,

pongify is not good and only rly useful vs 2 decks and even then its questionable D&B does already deal enough damage to yourself and a 3/3 token isnt always the best solution

thats why you have cheap counterspells to not let the big monsters in instead of letting the opponent play them and then you throw another card to kill your own token = 2-1 trade

peek is not needed because you know what any deck has to offer and when you have to keep lands open to avoid dangerous situations

I have tried several builds of D&B and these cards are just not worth to run IMO.

Personally I find D&B amusing and stupidly overpowered.

The one deck where I actually think I have above 90% win ratio with. Disclaimer: no, I stopped recording my wins - that number is pulled out of my arse.

As for build, I don't run sulfurous blast, invoke or banefire, in fact no sorceries - all instants. Control is the name of the game.

Comments: (which contain spoilers.... )

Game 1:

He fetches a Pelakka Wurm, and has a Tooth and Nail that you saw through Peek. You don't counter, which means he doesn't know you don't have a counter, he just knows you may not have one.

Next turn you are forced to blow up the board to get rid of it. During his second mainphase, he then.... drops a damn 2/2 !!! With Tooth and Nail in hand, and 11 mana untapped and you're tapped out.

I'm sorry, he should have closed the game with Tooth and Nail right there. Double Eldrazi which would be VERY hard for you to deal with. Next up, he plays Avenger and you instantly play Sulfurous Blast before he plays a land. Like a pro. Just a tip (which you probably know,) in real magic, you can't do that. But in DOTP, since they omitted the priority system, I suppose anything goes. Bad sport in my book, but nonetheless irrelevant here as the blast would kill them anyway.

I'm not gonna venture a guess about how you could have won or not - every decision you make, should affect his decisions and I'm too tired to start thinking permutations. It was entertaining nonetheless.

Game 2:

Nothing much to say, D&B doing what D&B does. Control and burn.

Game 3:

I like that you actually record games where you get those less than ideal start-hands. I can't for the life of my understand why your opponent plays his zombielord BEFORE attacking with you having 6 mana untapped and on 2 life. With 3 power on board. He deserved to lose because of that. Fate is ironic.

Game 4:

Elves! And no boomboom in opening hand. Could be tough. However, it looks like your decklist has plenty of aoe - and fortune provides. You made a silly mistake when he played the Joraga Warcaller with 2 counters, it enters as a 3/3 and buff the rest. So Starstorm for 3 will kill the warcaller, and the others consequently since the buff is now removed. They will still have damage marked on them until Cleanup Step in End of Turn. Notice btw - the Slate of Ancestry doesn't untap when the AI takes its turn ? ?? Doesn't matter for the outcome, just noticed it.

Do one with dragons or slivers - can be some hairy fights!

Invoke provides versatility and late-game drawing power without needing to run Opportunity in your deck.

Also, my control build for D&B does rely on those X mana cost burn spells to finish my opponent off in the late-game, seeing as there's only 2 Banefires and 1 Geyser, Invoke becomes more valuable for that reason.

I dont run invoke either but i see your point. I run the walls to fetch my banefires over and over again and a 0/4 blocker for d&b is quite good.

Add me on Ps3 HellzonianG