DotP Encounters Challenge Discussion Thread

249 posts / 0 new
Last post

Legally snow lands are fine for this challenge. Just make sure the decks aren't confusing for DotP. My only concern is you keep putting a "u" in my name where an "n" should be. Hehe.

"People are like sausages: it's what's under the skin that's important... so poke them with a fork periodically."

"Lif is too short."

Every card with snow mana is a valid target for DUH due to the obscurity of it, so that should not be a problem.

It's saturday and I don't have much to do, so I did the next plane.

Off topic, your screen name is not pronouncable without pauses, so my mind keeps replaced amp n z with ampuz.

@garren, are you still doing an ally deck?

2 + 2 = fish

mjack33 wrote:

@garren, are you still doing an ally deck?

If you mean am I still intending to do a The Teeth of Akhom decklist then yes I am. I will be posting it in a few mins.

Welcome! I'm Garren and I'll be your designated villain for the evening.

I, Garren, will knock you all down!

K.  I am currently about to make a goblin swarm deck for goblins in the pass.

2 + 2 = fish

@owen, the link on your second stoneforge mystic is broken.

I like the deck though.  Which one are you doing next plane?  You said you did things two planes ahead.

2 + 2 = fish

Thanks for the heads up Mjack. I have a deck ready for the jailbreak encounter.

So I ended up doing a deck for the Survive the Roil encounter instead. It's up now.

"People are like sausages: it's what's under the skin that's important... so poke them with a fork periodically."

"Lif is too short."

@amp,

I like the deck.  We also are thinking alike on the volcano encounter :wink:

Are you still going to do an ally deck?

2 + 2 = fish

mjack33 wrote:

Off topic, your screen name is not pronouncable without pauses, so my mind keeps replaced amp n z with ampuz.

Just call me AMP. The nz is just there because djAMP was taken on most sites and I wanted my screen name to be uniform across the web. The whole thing is actually an acronym.

dj = Disc Jockey (of course, hehe)

AMP = Absent Minded Professor

nz = New Zealand (where I live)

mjack33 wrote:

K.  I am currently about to make a goblin swarm deck for goblins in the pass.

That one is going to be tricky I think. I mean, three Goblin Chieftain in the base deck, it's going to be hard not to make it over powered.

"Lif is too short."

mjack33 wrote:

@amp,

I like the deck.  We also are thinking alike on the volcano encounter :wink:

Are you still going to do an ally deck?

I started one. But I hit a creativity brick wall with it. I might give it another look.

"Lif is too short."

@AMP are you going to still make an ally deck?

2 + 2 = fish

@amp, when you are done with the ally deck, it seems me and garren are ready to move on.  Also about the goblin deck......... I done solved that already.  Right now I am trying to decide whether to do Simic Clones or Gruul Raiding party in about an hour......... Man I have been bored today.

2 + 2 = fish

Hehe, I will post my ally deck when I've finished it, then I'll move to the next plane. Seems you guys build decks more than you play the game, hehe.

"Lif is too short."

I played game too.  The meta is just............ not hard but boring-ish right now?  I am waiting for people to get tired of one thing and one thing only.  It always happens.

What kind of ally deck are you working on?

2 + 2 = fish

mjack33 wrote:

I played game too.  The meta is just............ not hard but boring-ish right now?  I am waiting for people to get tired of one thing and one thing only.  It always happens.

What kind of ally deck are you working on?

You can have a look for yourself. I've posted the list up now.

"Lif is too short."

I will in a minute.

2 + 2 = fish

Isn't Rubblebelt raiders illegal?  I have absolutely no problem with it, but are we allowed to put duo symbols in if we have both colors?

I really like the deck btw.  I did not think of putting titanic ultimatum in.

Edit: Are we still moving on to next plane?

2 + 2 = fish

mjack33 wrote:

Isn't Rubblebelt raiders illegal?  I have absolutely no problem with it, but are we allowed to put duo symbols in if we have both colors?

I really like the deck btw.  I did not think of putting titanic ultimatum in.

Edit: Are we still moving on to next plane?

Yes, you can have dual symbols if the deck is both those colours. You can't put a card with a mana symbol in a mono black deck though, because of the white. I'm sorry if you misunderstood me earlier on.

I've started the next plane. I've updated the rules a little too. I completely removed the one encounter per person per plane rule. I've also banned split and fuse cards.

"Lif is too short."

Sorry to sound like a noob but what are split and fuse cards? Some old mechanic I am unfamiliar with?

Also having had a chance to look at all the recent deck I'm liking what I see. I'll give more creative comments after I have had time to digest them properly but for now it looks good. Suppose I should post my own deck now huh?

"Lif is too short."

Basically, the idea of the card is that you can play either half, or you can play both at the same time, but you can only use it once.

All three lists are up.  What do you guys think?

2 + 2 = fish

Animate Stone: I like this a lot. Theres a lot of cards I was going to run before deciding to make mine near creatureless. Also a lot of cards I *did* end up running but I guess when your trying to build a earth-themed deck that was bound to happen. Also x3 Bloodrock Cyclops and Earth Elemental? You are a fiend.

Allied Assault: As I said before the Ally tribe is too small and focused to allow a great deal of flexibility with theme. But even with that handicap you've put together something good here - both you and mjack did far more with this deck then I could have done with the same.

MJacks Jailbreak: Hey its the perfect counterpart to my deck! You drag them in kicking and screaming I lock 'em up tight. Also Sphinx are are nice little tribe that add a lot to break the whole 'tribe = mindless aggro' thing so its always nice to see them getting a chance to spread their wings.

Mjacks Eloren Bramble: Ah Landfall - the exact same thing I was thinking of baseing this deck on. Now what am I supposed to do? For the deck itself it's pretty much what 'Hunter's Strength' wishes it could be; lots of huge cost efficient creatures, lots of ramp to ensure they get out on the field in record time and enough little tricks to ensure you hand is never hurting for more threats to throw down.

Mjacks Weather the Storm: Now this is like. It's easily the most flavourful deck you've built to this point - I can just imagine your opponent cowering in fear as the blizzard rages around them and all manner of frozen monstrosities come charging across the tundra towards them. I especially like Dark Depths as the 10th promo - I don't even know if it would be all that effective but its just full of edlritch cthulhuian fun. I also like that Rimefeather Owl could also put counters on it if for some reason you wanted too.

And with that I'm now officially out of decks! Guess I'm going to have to sit down and get some more done. Oh and the answer an earlier question; I've been on holiday from work these last few days which is why I've had the free time to crank all these decks out.

First of all, rimefeather owl puts counters on your opponent's lands.  Just clearing up any misconceptions there.

Second, I really liked your deck, and I thought it was really well built, but I laugh every time I hear azor's elocutors is a win condition.  I can't help it.

Third, dark depths basically says, "Hey 6 or 7 turns from now, I might just have a 20/20 dude with flying.  How does that sound?"

Edit: Anyone have any problems with any of the decks?

2 + 2 = fish

Oh it wasn't a misconception - I know how Rimefeather Owl is supposed to work but that fact it produces the same tokens that are keeping Marit Lage sealed amused me.

And yeah I know Azor's Elocutors is kinda terrible as a win condition (unless you've got some way to give them Indestructible and Shroud or something) but I just couldn't help myself. I wanted something to do other than sit around and wait for the mill clock to tick down.

Dude, I can throw a shock at your lp and you take another turn.  That is why I don't ever really treat it as a decent win condition in any meta with red.  Its the card that lost to goblin fireslinger.  What about colossus of akros or wakestone gargoyle?  Honestly though, azor's elocutors fits so much with the flavor that it is too awesome to take out.

2 + 2 = fish

Leyline of Sanctity + Indestructibility + Pariah + Greater Auramancy (and thats only with my limited knowledge of the cards - I'm sure there is a better method).

It isn't a good combination but it is possible. Though on that note I may go back and sneak a Leyline of Sanctity into that deck somewhere.

Edit: I did actually think about Wakestone Gargoyle at one point but for the most part my defenders are all 0/X. Wouldn't really work out too well. Plus I like the passive destruction theme better.

Do you have any suggestions for any of the decks I've made so far?

2 + 2 = fish

Jailbreak

Nothing jumps out at me here. Seems fair enough. While it could get a little overwhelming at times thats basically because the opponent has left you long enough to build up the presence needed. No more OP than Masks of Dimir in that regard.

Eloren Bramble

x3 Nature's Will could quickly overrun anything the opponent can do to catch up, especially with all the tokens and trample you have running around. If nothing else cut the one from the base deck for something.

x2 Avenger of Zendikar is insane in a deck with this much ramp and land fetch. Likewise with the Dungrove Elder and Primordial Hydra in the base deck. I recommend swapping them out for something (the two unlockable Nature's Lore and Cultivate are good choices for this).

Finally a recommendation: have you considered running x4 Terramorphic Expanse in this deck? I know it's mono coloured but it can trigger Landfall twice (once at instant speed no less) and you have more than enough ramp to make up for the speed drop in having to cast them. Something to think on if nothing else.

Weather the Storm

Once again nothing jumps out at me as untoward. I am unfamiliar with the snow mechanic but I'm pretty sure I'm not missing any insane combos or the like.

About Eloren Bramble,

Nature's Will only triggers once per turn, reguardless of how many you have out.  That is why I didn't think it was that big of a deal when combined with the lack of actual reliable draw.

The Dungrove Elders and Primordial Hydra are fine too, but I'll replace the first Avenger.  Give me a few minutes.

2 + 2 = fish

Okay, so the avenger that was not in the promos becamse an essence of the wild, which is now moved back to early in the unlocks.  The reason I can justify those other creatures in the base deck is because until 6 mana the base deck sucks except for the one 3cmc.  After that, the base deck has 5 good creatures including the hydra.

2 + 2 = fish

Fair enough. My biggest issue was with that Avenger anyway. I'm still a little iffy about the Hydra but it should be fine I guess. I didn't fully notice just how few CMC5 or below creatures you actually had in the base deck so yeah it should be fine.

Oh.  Since it's not obvious.  Drift of the Dead has defender.  That is how I could justify a playset.

By the way, I would not want to walk through a blizzard and come upon one of those.

2 + 2 = fish

@mjack: Your decks are looking pretty good. But your landfall one seems a bit overpowered.

@Mastergear_Owen: Confinement is an interesting deck, but it does kind of seem like it would be really hard to win with. What are your win conditions? If someone takes out your Doorkeepers or you don't draw them, then there's pretty much nothing you can do to win.

I've posted up a deck list for the Jailbreak encounter as well.

"Lif is too short."

For what its worth while Doorkeepers are obviously the quickest method to mill your opponent I feel that even without them the combination of Sands of Delirium, Chronic Flooding, Memory Erosion and Increasing Confusion (combined with the time everything else in the deck so aptly provides) would still be enough to mill them out. Plus worst case scenario you can just throw Gargoyle Sentinel at them for a few turns (which I now realize I left out of the base deck. Good-bye Sanctum Plowbeast, you shan't be missed).

What other decks are you going to do?

2 + 2 = fish

I have no Idea - I'm currently working on a Jund deck for the Rumble in the Jungle encounter but am hitting a brick wall putting it together. I may take a break and build one for the current plane if I don't make anymore progress.

That's fine, except that most of those are unlocks. How are you supposed to unlock those cards first?

"Lif is too short."

...I've got nothing. It's a slow grind with 4 creatures that topples over if removal hits it. I may have to go back and up the numbers of things capible of actually attacking.

Edit: Okay moved some things around. The base deck now contains a Sands of Delirium and some dedicated draw to ensure it turns up. I had to alter the promos a little to compensate but meh. Deck's still kinda grindy to unlock things but at least it's possible now.

I've almost finished my Eloren Bramble build. I've got about 8 cards to remove before I can sort out the base deck and unlocks.

This got me thinking though, what sort of process do each of you use to design your decks?

"Lif is too short."

Mastergear_Owen wrote:

...I've got nothing. It's a slow grind with 4 creatures that topples over if removal hits it. I may have to go back and up the numbers of things capible of actually attacking.

Edit: Okay moved some things around. The base deck now contains a Sands of Delirium and some dedicated draw to ensure it turns up. I had to alter the promos a little to compensate but meh. Deck's still kinda grindy to unlock things but at least it's possible now.

May I also suggest adding some more win condition type cards into the early unlocks. Might help. Otherwise it's looking good.

"Lif is too short."