DotP Encounters Challenge Discussion Thread

249 posts / 0 new
Last post

mjack33 wrote:

Edit: Also, I am definitely doing the equipment deck tomorrow.  I already have the list, so that I can say I didn't copy anyone.  I am not sure yet if I will touch the other two yet.

Cool. I've already got a deck drew up for the 'Survive the Roil' encounter so thats two down before the challenge even comes up.

DJ0045 wrote:

So to be clear, while I prepare for my first attempt ever at a DotP deck submission, which will already be hard for me... I presume we are supposed to feature, and focus on the cards that get played in the encounter, and not simply be inspired by them.  Is this correct?

The cards in the encounter must be featured in the base deck. Aside from that you can take it anywhere. If you really wanted too you could easily hae the cards as 'obvious filling until I unlock something' cards though in some case (like the Shadowborn Apostle) that might be a bit harder since the cards could make up a decent amount of your base deck.

Welcome! I'm Garren and I'll be your designated villain for the evening.

I, Garren, will knock you all down!

@dj, Honestly, the people in this thread will thoroughly approve of any deck you make, bar something really really wierd that you wouldn't make.

2 + 2 = fish

Well for Shadowborn Apostle I'd have built a sacrifice deck.  Some kind of fun combo based deck, but I'm not that interested in trying that one first.  Biovisionary on the other hand almost turned up in a Standard tournament deck of mine last year.  The card got almost no play, but I had an idea for how to make it VERY competitive, so I'm going to enjoy doing it with that deck in mind.  That said, this is exactly why I'm worried about the deck being OP.  Basically, if the deck had standard legs IMO, it might be too powerful for dotp, so I'm going to have to work to nerf it a little bit, and make it a little less built for GG on turn 4-6.  On the other hand, almost every deck in 2014 has that ability, so maybe I shouldn't worry so much.  Bah, this is going to fun and hard.  I'm looking forward to it.

Infinite Reflection + Cackling Counterpart

In my experience, the easiest and first way to justify something is to make it untutorable.

That being said...... go nuts and make whatever you want.

2 + 2 = fish

Mastergear_Owen wrote:

mjack33 wrote:

Edit: Also, I am definitely doing the equipment deck tomorrow.  I already have the list, so that I can say I didn't copy anyone.  I am not sure yet if I will touch the other two yet.

Cool. I've already got a deck drew up for the 'Survive the Roil' encounter so thats two down before the challenge even comes up.

You know what, I think I am going to do the expedition one too...... but you can handle the Survive the Roil Encounter.  I don't even want to touch it with a 32.5 ft pole, as it screams land destruction.

2 + 2 = fish

Yeah can't say I'm too fond of land destruction myself. Included a couple of cards to support it since I have to run Roiling Terrain but beyond that I took the deck in a different direction.

How would you feel about a white/colorless living weapon deck?

2 + 2 = fish

I know Living Weapons appeared in a challenge once so I'm pretty sure the engine can handle it. I'd allow it but I'd get the okay from djAMPnz first. Don;t see why it wouldn't be allowed though.

The card literally says :when this card comes onto the battlefield, create a 0/0 token and equip this to it".  That is the entirety of living weapons.  When not equipped to a creature, they are always equipped to a 0/0 token.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

2 + 2 = fish

Hey I concur. Its a fun little mechanic and certainly better than what I orignally came up with for the encounter; white guys with swords. Staggeringly original I know.

3 swords and a jitte did end up in the promos.  I completely ran out of other good artifacts by that point for the space and type of deck.

2 + 2 = fish

Living Weapon is a perfectly acceptable mechanic. Just don't use Lashwrithe in that deck because it has to be mono white (no black mana symbols).

"People are like sausages: it's what's under the skin that's important... so poke them with a fork periodically."

"Lif is too short."

djAMPnz wrote:

Living Weapon is a perfectly acceptable mechanic. Just don't use Lashwrithe in that deck because it has to be mono white (no black mana symbols).

That is one of three I didn't use.  There are only 9 though..... so that isn't saying much.

2 + 2 = fish

Okay I've moved the challenge on to the next plane, seeing as you guys are all ready to go. Please check the lists on the first post to make sure you have the right number of each card before you post your lists for the encounters. Have fun with Zendikar!

"People are like sausages: it's what's under the skin that's important... so poke them with a fork periodically."

"Lif is too short."

So I may have went a little too crazy, but the equipment deck is up.  Now I just need to figure something out for the other two decks.

Also, the apostraphe thing is really starting to be a problem with autocard.

2 + 2 = fish

Survive the Roil deck is up and ready to rock!

@Mjack - I'm going to have to take a minute to fully absorb it but egad does that equipment deck look nasty! That thing could do some real damage real quick.

Edit: All 3 decks? You have been busy haven't you? Any chance you could spoiler tag the deck lists? Its getting a little awkward to scroll through the thread.

So.......... what do you think?  The equipment deck...... that actually ate a decent amount of time.  The other two..... not so much, but they are still decent.

2 + 2 = fish

I like the equipment deck. I worry its power level might be a little above the range but I couldn't say for sure. I like the living weapon mechanic though so thats nice to see.

The Ally deck is about what I expected it to be like. A a tribe its too small and focused to really pull a deck by itself but you did a decent job tying it all together.

The Dragon deck is... well its a dragon deck. Hard to go wrong with something like that. My real question is what are you going to do when the 'Form of the Dragon' encounter rolls around later? Should be fun to see.

Any cards you don't like in any of them?  Any wow cards, etc?

Living Weapons are overcosted for their effects a little, because they get equipped to a token when first played.  The only one that is really above the curve is batterskull.  However they are freaking awesome.  That is how I justified the 4 puresteel paladin to myself. 

2 + 2 = fish

Equip Deck

x2 Stoneforge Mystic - I don't have an issue with the Mystics themselves but 2 of them in the base deck seems a little overkill. I mean even in the dedicated equip decks we have had upto this point stopped at one and that was an unlock. In my mind they are unlock rewards.

x2 Etched Champion - This I do have issues with. 1 as an unlock - fine. Maybe a 2nd as a promo - okay. But 2 in the base deck? I don't know but I can't see this deck having any issue getting 3 artifacts to stick on the field at which point these things are going to destroy everything (especially with stuff like Quietus Spike in there).

Swords of X and X - I know 'Swords of the Samurai' had a pair but at this point you've basically given this deck Protection from Everything all over the place. It wouldn't be too bad but you also have a solid tutor package to boot to ensure they get out when needed. Protection is a hard sell in a limited format like duels to begin with and all that Protection is looking to be a little too much.

Ally Deck

x3 Kabira Evangel same issue I had with the Protection above though to a lesser extent since this can be circumvented with good timing. Maybe as a 2-off?

x1 Godsire no issue with the card itself, more its placement as 10th promo. It a nice card and all but it does nothing for the decks strategy. Just wondering why it was 10th promo material.

Dragon Deck

Nothing jumps out at me. Seems like a decent dragon deck.

2 things

1.  I will replace the swords, but you really need to look at the equip deck again.  The tutor package is fine without them there though.

2.  kabira is fine since it's not a permanent thing.

2 + 2 = fish

@mjack33:

The Teeth of Akoum Deck: Your equipment deck seems a bit powerful for DotP. Two Titans and a Batterskull in the base deck? You may need to push them back a bit. Also, I forgot to mention, as of this round I've banned transform cards, so you will have to replace Elbrus. Otherwise this deck is looking pretty good. Like the living weapon theme.

Survive the Roil Deck: It's a decent deck, but it's not really based on the encounter. It's a dragon and goblin deck with the pre-requisite cards in it.

Rival Expedition Deck: Other than being four land short it's looking really good.

@Mastergear_Owen:

Rage of the Ancients: I like the way you took that, still sticks with the roiling mountains theme.

"Lif is too short."

@djampuz, A Sun titan will go back to the new promo then.  Survive the Roil............ the other option was land destruction.

2 + 2 = fish

Mastergear_Owen wrote:

Equip Deck

x2 Stoneforge Mystic - I don't have an issue with the Mystics themselves but 2 of them in the base deck seems a little overkill. I mean even in the dedicated equip decks we have had upto this point stopped at one and that was an unlock. In my mind they are unlock rewards.

x2 Etched Champion - This I do have issues with. 1 as an unlock - fine. Maybe a 2nd as a promo - okay. But 2 in the base deck? I don't know but I can't see this deck having any issue getting 3 artifacts to stick on the field at which point these things are going to destroy everything (especially with stuff like Quietus Spike in there).

Swords of X and X - I know 'Swords of the Samurai' had a pair but at this point you've basically given this deck Protection from Everything all over the place. It wouldn't be too bad but you also have a solid tutor package to boot to ensure they get out when needed. Protection is a hard sell in a limited format like duels to begin with and all that Protection is looking to be a little too much.

Ally Deck

x3 Kabira Evangel same issue I had with the Protection above though to a lesser extent since this can be circumvented with good timing. Maybe as a 2-off?

x1 Godsire no issue with the card itself, more its placement as 10th promo. It a nice card and all but it does nothing for the decks strategy. Just wondering why it was 10th promo material.

Dragon Deck

Nothing jumps out at me. Seems like a decent dragon deck.

I agree with your points on the equipment deck, but I like Godsire as the tenth promo in the ally deck. There have typically been "why?" promos in DotP decks, and this one is still a very fun card.

"Lif is too short."

mjack33 wrote:

1.  I will replace the swords, but you really need to look at the equip deck again.  The tutor package is fine without them there though.

Thank you for the change. I feel alot better about the two Etched Champion now as well. Yeah they are basically untouchable but they can't be tutored. Speaking of which I was wrong - I read it as 3 Steelshaper's Gift onto of the others. I feel it's a little fairer now.

Yeah it's 2 gift, not 3.

So I edited the first deck again.  They all seem to be legal now.  Anyone else have any major issues?

2 + 2 = fish

mjack33 wrote:

@djampuz, A Sun titan will go back to the new promo then.  Survive the Roil............ the other option was land destruction.

Cool.

Yeah, land destruction can be a tough sell.

"Lif is too short."

djAMPnz wrote:

mjack33 wrote:

Cool.

Yeah, land destruction can be a tough sell.

So so far, we have just been doing the deck has to use the base cards.  There was no flavor restriction, as stated by you earlier in this thread.  Thus, I decided to make a red dragon deck with lots of dragons popping out of mountains and generally causing lots of mayhem.

Edit:

Ampuz, which deck are you planning on making this round?

2 + 2 = fish

Hey djAMPnz while I have you here - I'm thinking of taking a stab at the Teeth encounter (assuming that Rule 2 is still suspended). Before I put any real effort into it though I would like to ask - in regards to Rule 7 what do you think about Darksteel Citadel? Its within the rules for producing a single colour of mana each turn (colourless too) but Isn't in the strictest sense on the word a basic land. I ask only because I am thinking it would be nice in a deck with a Metalcraft sub-theme. Either way I can work with or without it. What say you?

Edit: It would also be a single unlock (maybe two) not a four off instead of Plains if that helps the decision.

Mastergear_Owen wrote:

Hey djAMPnz while I have you here - I'm thinking of taking a stab at the Teeth encounter (assuming that Rule 2 is still suspended). Before I put any real effort into it though I would like to ask - in regards to Rule 7 what do you think about Darksteel Citadel? Its within the rules for producing a single colour of mana each turn (colourless too) but Isn't in the strictest sense on the word a basic land. I ask only because I am thinking it would be nice in a deck with a Metalcraft sub-theme. Either way I can work with or without it. What say you?

Edit: It would also be a single unlock (maybe two) not a four off instead of Plains if that helps the decision.

Dude.  Go to my equipment deck.  Check my lands.  Then check my new promos.  Then don't worry about it.

Edit: Also, why does quoting or sending something via pm suddenly erase all line breaks?

2 + 2 = fish

You know I didn't even notice that Ancient Den was an artifact. I did wonder why it was there. Now I know.

And the answer to the second question is 'because the forum sucks'

About godsire, at the end of the day, once you are at 8 mana, you want the option to say @#%^ it and start spamming 8/8 tokens.  I looked at all the creatures of that color combo that I could pick as a 10th promo boss, and he just fit.

2 + 2 = fish

Mastergear_Owen wrote:

Darksteel Citadel and other artifact lands are fine. Keep in mind though that they make metalcraft extremely powerful.

mjack33 wrote:

So so far, we have just been doing the deck has to use the base cards.  There was no flavor restriction, as stated by you earlier in this thread.  Thus, I decided to make a red dragon deck with lots of dragons popping out of mountains and generally causing lots of mayhem.

You see, when you explain your design choices it does make more sense. Perhaps you should add a description to your deck lists. Did you have a think about adding spoiler tags to your lists?

mjack33 wrote:

AMP, which deck are you planning on making this round?

I'm having a go at the ally deck.

EDIT: I may take a while to respond to questions because I pop in and out of here at the moment, usually to check on these threads, sometimes for a longer look around the forum. Plus I live in NZ so my awake hours are a lot different to the other side of the world.

"Lif is too short."

@ampuz, about spoiler tags........ it makes it an even worse pain to edit my lists.  Since I keep doing so for different reasons, I will probably do it at the end of each round instead of at the end of each deck lists.  I'll go do so for the first 3, since I think this will be the last time that I edit them.

About the artifact lands................... I really couldn't leave it out in a deck that really needs the second effect of puresteel paladin.

2 + 2 = fish

There I spoiler tagged all the lists and put a little flavor before each one.  Are there any other concerns?

2 + 2 = fish

ampuz, How do you feel about snow-covered lands and snow mana?  I was working on Weather the Storm and used them.  Snow covered lands are basic lands with the word snow in front of them.  Worst case, they would just be limited to twelve each.  Snow mana is similar to phyrexian mana. The mana symbol means it has to be paid by a snow covered land.

2 + 2 = fish

Snow mana? What cards use that? I've never seen one (at least I don't think so), and I have hundreds of Ice Age and Alliances cards.

An example is Chilling Shade.

2 + 2 = fish

Sweet!

Let me be more specific.  I am using it for other things, but I am wondering about the legality for this challenge of:

snow-covered swamp
snow-covered island
frost raptor
phyrexian snowcrusher
rime transfusion

and similar cards

2 + 2 = fish