DotP Encounters Challenge Discussion Thread

249 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is here for people to discuss their deck lists posted in the Deck Building Challenge: DotP Encounters thread. Please use it for general discussion and comments instead of clogging up the deck list thread.

"People are like sausages: it's what's under the skin that's important... so poke them with a fork periodically."

"Lif is too short."

So I wanted to take a stab at this but before I clutter up the main thread can someone tell me how to do the spoiler 'Click Here to View' thing? I tried quoting someone to look at it but that was less than helpful. Thanks for your help!

Testing
Testing

S'okay. I figured it out!

Welcome! I'm Garren and I'll be your designated villain for the evening.

I, Garren, will knock you all down!

I didn't want to clog up the other thread any more so I'll post this here.

Regarding the Shadowborn Apostle debate: seeing as I have removed the maximum limit and instead only have a minimum of 6 limit, some cards I thought might be valuable inclusions are Infernal Tutor and Thrumming Stone.

"People are like sausages: it's what's under the skin that's important... so poke them with a fork periodically."

"Lif is too short."

Mastergear_Owen wrote:

So I wanted to take a stab at this but before I clutter up the main thread can someone tell me how to do the spoiler 'Click Here to View' thing? I tried quoting someone to look at it but that was less than helpful. Thanks for your help!

Type [ spoiler ] before and [ /spoiler ] after the part you want hidden (minus the spaces). Also for the first one you can type [ spoiler=Title ] to give the spoiler a title, like...

Title
...this.

EDIT: Well, nevermind then. Hehe.

"Lif is too short."

Thanks very much. I was using [ Sblock ]. Is that any different? Anyway I will post my deck list now so you can all laugh at it.

No, sblock is the same as spoiler.

"Lif is too short."

I'll probably post tomorrow before lunch still making changes I'm thinking of an Immortal Servitude build but I can't decide if I want to dredge or just cast it for value.

Steam Name: Yertle{U}The{B}Turtle

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/YertleTheMFnTurtle

New Forum: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Which encounter are you building for? You might have to rethink Immortal Servitude, the rules prohibit mana symbols that aren't the colour(s) of the deck, including the split mana symbols on Immortal Servitude.

"Lif is too short."

grr.. arbitrary rules are arbitrary. I'll rebuild tomorrow I'm going to bed.

Hehe. Sorry.

"Lif is too short."

Mastergear_Owen wrote:

Okay so this is my first attempt at anything like this so please don't laugh too hard eh lads? I don't have much background with paper MTG so I pretty much just stuck with Innistrad block cards. Is that okay? If nothing else it's themic!

The idea was to have an unfocused base deck with a smattering of Buff and Burn spells to compliment the mass production of humans. The unlocks would than allow you to further focus the deck into either of these ideals; mass group buffs with things like Goldnight Commander and Cathars' Crusade or big mana-hungry burn with a flashback feel.

I like it. I like that it is themeatic. The base deck does sort of have weenie rush theme, and the name is cool. But I especially like how you've thought out the unlocks and allowed for multiple build types, which is something I often struggle with myself when designing a deck.

"Lif is too short."

Oh hey so I was wondering about this rule;

7. These types of cards are banned:
- Non-basic lands that have not appeared in the Duels of the Planeswalkers series before.

Now as far as I recall thats just Cathedral of War right? But I was wondering about stuff like Gavony Township. Would things like that be allowed? For all intents and purposes its basically the same thing as Cathedral of War (right up to producing a single colourless mana) but you could also tap it for its effect. Just curious but it's your thread so you get last call.

Yeah, as far as I know it's just Cathedral of War and Eye of Ugin. I was thinking about that too. Do you think I should change it to: "Non-basic lands that produce more than one colour of mana"?

"Lif is too short."

Seems like the resonable option. I mean it doesn't make much sense to stop people using them when we know the engine can handle things like that.

I went ahead and changed the rules regarding those lands. You can edit your deck if you want, just make the necessary changes to your post.

"Lif is too short."

djAMPnz wrote:

I didn't want to clog up the other thread any more so I'll post this here.

Regarding the Shadowborn Apostle debate: seeing as I have removed the maximum limit and instead only have a minimum of 6 limit, some cards I thought might be valuable inclusions are Infernal Tutor and Thrumming Stone.

It seems we think alike, as I did not see this first.

djAMPnz wrote:

Which encounter are you building for? You might have to rethink Immortal Servitude, the rules prohibit mana symbols that aren't the colour(s) of the deck, including the split mana symbols on Immortal Servitude.

Easy swap to make I guess.  More skirsdag flayer.

@owen, I really liked your deck a lot, but I am telling you now there is no way bonfire of the damned would have appeared before unlock number 20 in an actual dotp deck.

@ampuz, please ban mana pool lands such as lake of the dead.  Or explicitly say that I can use lake of the dead.  Either or.

2 + 2 = fish

Oh wow I only just read that Bonfire of the Damned hits everything. Thats kinda insane. Going to edit it down to a one-off (guess y'all get three Devil's Play) For the record I actually populated the unlock list with a random number generator so I didn't take card power into consideration. Might bump them around a little.

Bonfire of the damned is generally considered to be as good if not better than temporal mastery.  It is also considered to be one of the best burn cards ever after fireblast.  Card is awesome man.

2 + 2 = fish

So Mjack I've been looking at your list and looks pretty cool. I honestly expected 'Lord of Darkness 2.0' using Shadowborn Apostle in place of Heartless Summoning so its nice to see you went a different way with it. Who dosn't love sacrificing your mooks for greater power? I do have one question though relating to an old cards wording;

Balthor the Defiled - Whats a Minion? I don't think I have ever seen that term on a card.

A creature type - like Braids, Cabal Minion

Ipad - neosilk76 
Steam - neosilk 

Tired of the new forum format, and all it's problems?  Try a new forum!

http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Ah right. Thanks! I was confused since none of the cards in his deck were minions. But then I guess the guy is in for his graveyard recycle ability rather then his lordship.

To be honest, I did have to look that up on gatherer, as, it was not something that I'd seen before either.

Ipad - neosilk76 
Steam - neosilk 

Tired of the new forum format, and all it's problems?  Try a new forum!

http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Decided to add some promo unlocks to the deck. Nothing special; a couple of extra copies of useful cards as well as a few guaranteed finishers. Also finally found the () special land from Innistrad so decided to throw that in too. Seems a waste to not take advantage of that rule change.

Are there gonna be decks made for the challenges because some of those seem like they could be cool.

mjack33 wrote:

@ampnz, please ban mana pool lands such as lake of the dead.  Or explicitly say that I can use lake of the dead.  Either or.

I've changed the rules banning lands that produce more than one colour of mana at a time and lands that produce both colourless and coloured mana.

"Lif is too short."

I make shadowborn apostle decks all the time.  balthor the defiled is a fun creature to have, and it help lessen the pain of not being able to use  a little.  The other cards..... I like the flavor of all hallow's eve, and empty the catacombs has a certain sacrificial thing going on that goes nicely with the cleric to zombie cult thing.

2 + 2 = fish

Ha just realized I was breaking rule number 3 with my deck; a card like Thraben Doomsayer seems more like an unlock reward to me than something you would find in the base deck but hey rules are rules. Had to knock a Kessig Malcontent back to the unlocks but I'm okay with that - that card is deceptively powerful in the right build.

Eh, I kept forgetting not to add a couple staples I would normally use too due to the only black thing.  Thus you aren't only one to have done that.

2 + 2 = fish

Hehe, it wouldn't be a challenge without rules.

"Lif is too short."

Eh.  I don't really mind.  I had to decrease the power level a lot anyway.  I'm more interested in what kind of strip mine / aether vial / skullclamp thing we are about to see.

I wish I could have found room for village cannibals though.  I think I am going to change one of the promos.  I need to put in another mechanic none of you have ever heard of.

2 + 2 = fish

add in sphere of resistance, Tangle Wire and Smokestack just vial in cultists till you get to six then sac to get griselbrand while no one can cast spells

Quick question: What do you guys think of erebos, god of the dead?  He is currently my second card in the promos, but I am trying to decide if he fits the deck.

2 + 2 = fish

I think Devotion in a deck full of clerics is very thematic, hehe.

"Lif is too short."

@djAmpnz, are you going to enter a deck?

2 + 2 = fish

I was. I was going to see which decks people built for and build one for the least chosen encounter (Moorland Zombies in this case, it seems).

"Lif is too short."

Yo, since there aren't many decks being made, would you honestly mind if I made more than one?  I honestly don't care about any sort of voting or competition and would be willing to opt out, but I think it would be fun to at least take a crack at a second.  Right now, it looks like we are going to only have one of each, and that is no fun.

2 + 2 = fish

So I got a little pre-emptive and looked into some builds for future decks and something came up; whats the word on phyrexian mana? I'm not out to build a deck revolving around it or anything but a creature I like uses it. Also it was included in a challenge last year I believe if that helps sway the argument a little.

I could be wrong but I think it's been in more than one challenge atleast 3 that I can think of but then again storm now has been in a challenge.

Yeah, you can use Phyrexian mana, but you can't use creatures with Morph.

"Lif is too short."

I suppose since there isn't much interest at the moment you can take a crack at a second one.

"Lif is too short."

I finished my human deck.  The humans now have something to hunt.  What do you guys think?

2 + 2 = fish

Sign In to post comments