This game has been a lot of fun, and one of my most welcomed steps forward with DotP 2014 has been the encounters. They are more varied than they were last year, not just continually spamming just one or two cards for the most part. With this in mind I would like to offer a challenge to this forum's deck builders. A deck building challege where you build decks based on a particular encounter from Duels of the Planeswalkers 2014. If you are interested, please check the rules and current deck lists (which may contain additional rules) before posting your deck list, and please post your list(s) in spoiler tags. Please keep non-challenge chit chat in this thread to a minimum, I have created another thread for people discuss deck lists posted in this thread. You can view it here.
You may now create deck builds for any encounter you haven't already built a deck for. Kind of like extra credit.
1. Decks can be submitted for the current plane only. When enough deck lists have been posted, the challenge will move on to the next plane.
2. The cards in the encounter (excluding basic lands) must be included in your base deck. Some decks have specific rulings for certain cards where the encounter may have an excessive numbers of some cards.
3. You can only use cards that are the colours of cards used in the challenge. This includes all mana symbols on the cards. No adding colours.
4. Unlocks are required for your deck lists, but promo unlocks are optional.
5. The decks must be able to work in the current iteration of DotP.
6. These types of cards are banned:
- Non-basic lands that produce more than one colour of mana.
- Non-basic lands that produce more than one mana at a time.
- Non-basic lands that produce coloured and colourless mana.
- Any non-land cards that produce mana.
- Any card that requires you to name a card.
- Any card that requires you to name a creatures type.
- Creatures with Morph.
- Cards that transform.
- Split and Fuse cards.
- Planeswalker cards.
At the end of this challenge, if there is enough interest, people will be able to vote for which deck list they feel best represents each encounter. So when creating your deck list, keep in mind things like flavour, mana curve, enjoyability and try to keep it's power level on par with the decks in the current game. Have fun!
Also, a special thanks goes to GrovyleXShinyCelebi for supplying me with the deck lists for the encounters.