Magic 2014 "Lords of Darkness" Decklist & Strategy

637 posts / 0 new
Last post

7 and 8 drops are not a requirement for this deck my curve stops at 6 every once in a while I consider running a single 7 but they aren't needed.

Steam Name: Yertle{U}The{B}Turtle

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/YertleTheMFnTurtle

New Forum: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Oh hypocrisy! A World full of n00bs indeed!

Anybody who plays this deck in 2HG with Dodge and Burn needs to be banned from the game.

I don't even think there's that many different or interesting builds of this deck. The game plan is always the same, which is a bit of a shame I think. The deck is pretty one-dimensional in that regard. I still like it, but it's too bad they couldn't come up with a couple replacement cards that would give a different strategy.

Yertle, Rune-Scarred and Lord of the Void are not needed?! :-o But that's like the best demons in deck and my favorite cards! And often game finishers. You really have an interesting vision of this deck

Honestly, the deck is going to end up summoning big demons as its goal.  The real question is how big do you stop at.

2 + 2 = fish

Lexxx20 wrote:
Yertle, Rune-Scarred and Lord of the Void are not needed?! :-o But that's like the best demons in deck and my favorite cards! And often game finishers. You really have an interesting vision of this deck

Imo the best demon in the deck is Bloodgift Demon not close. Rune-Scarred Demon is the one 7 drop I sometimes run but it's out right now.

Lexxx20 wrote:

Lord of the void is not good IMO, most decks are aggro oriented so they have tons of little critters....

Oh hypocrisy! A World full of n00bs indeed!

I actually like Screams from within, but that's from a 2hg point of view as there are more viable targets and it's nice vs DW. With dodge and burn it helps reaching toughness 4. Have not played this deck enough to see if it is better then the non black killspells...

@ Lexxx20

here is my build if you're still curious how it can be run without 7 drops it's nothing all that radical just kind of mid-range control.

25 Swamp

2 Festering Goblin
1 Innocent Blood

4 Onyx Mage
4 Diabolic Edict
2 Doom Blade

2 Soot Imp
2 Hideous End

2 Damnation
1 Diabolic Servitude
1 Mutilate
1 No Mercy
2 Tendrils of Corruption

3 Bloodgift Demon
2 Halo Hunter
1 Shadowborn Demon
2 Promise of Power

1 Harvester of Souls
1 Reaper From the Abyss
1 Corrupt

Try it out. It is a virtual autoloss to D&B but other than that it's decent.

Yertle, I'll definitely try it out tonight. Haven't yet run this deck without HS.

N00B, it's always fun to steal smth good even in aggro decks. Like DW's titan or AG's angels. And he's still 7/7 flier for 7 mana. Even if you exile 7 lands you're still helping yourself and ruining opponent's day.

You're absolutely right to say that Onyx is sort-of my version of Heartless Summoning, so really the decks are doing the same thing (i.e. jamming Demons). I think Arctic has it pretty spot-on that this pile doesn't allow for much variety in how it is played. If you re-read my complaint of jack's build, though, you'll note that my main complaint wasn't the amount of 4+CMC cards (this deck shoehorns you into a ton of high-CMC choices), but rather that he didn't realize his manabase couldn't support it. Back to Onyx Mage vs. Heartless Summoning, I like him better because he's never a dead draw (he may be a bad draw, sure) and he's not useless in multiples. Against some slower decks he gets in for chip damage and he trades with a lot of stuff in this meta without having to activate his ability. One of my other gripes about HS is that it puts the best demon in the deck (Bloodgift) in range of a hell of a lot more removal (Searing Spear, Last Gasp, Sulfurous Blast). Hell, he can't even block a goblin token without worrying about Jund Charm. Speaking of that, his value as a blocker is reduced tremendously at three toughness, and we really need to guard our life totals when playing this deck.
I could not agree more, Hakeem. He can kill black creatures and is sacrifice-bait as well.
Hakeem, what's your opinion on 6+ cmc demons?

Fun fact for the people who do run Screams from within, when ya choose a new target from the graveyard, it can target hexproof.

Alphagaia wrote:

Fun fact for the people who do run Screams from within, when ya choose a new target from the graveyard, it can target hexproof.

And...if you are the only person with creatures on the board, you have to target your own creature. Fun

Ipad - neosilk76 
Steam - neosilk 

Tired of the new forum format, and all it's problems?  Try a new forum!

http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Okay, let's talk big Demons! Harvester of Souls - the deck's only way to draw cards without paying life, and a decent body to boot. Awesome. Reaper from the Abyss - &#$@ing awesome! Hellcarver Demon - this card is interesting; I really don't like rolling the dice on his ability, but he's a good defender who could suddenly attack to close out the game. Rune-Scarred Demon - more &#$@ing awesomeness! Pestilence Demon - a decent choice if only for the body; the ability isn't the reason to choose him, but could come in handy in certain matchups. Lord of the Void - this guy is fantastic. Lord of the Pit - want to lose the game? Run this guy! Reiver Demon - this guy comes late to the party, but he does a bit of work. Singleton at most, though, IMO.

Harvester of Souls - Love this card!
Reaper from the Abyss - another great demon!
Hellcarver Demon - I dont run it in this deck - cool ability...would be great against elves...but everything else has removal.  
Rune-Scarred Demon - yeah...I'd take as many of these as I can...
Pestilence Demon - I don't care about the problems with no mercy...I'll still run him (great against MM!)
Lord of the Pit - does anyone run this?  I sure hope not...
Reiver Demon - yeah...no good against a few decks - still more than worth running
Halo Hunter - I dont like it - great against HoC...alas, the way I build this deck, I have them all in there
Shadowborn demon - basically, a removal, and a 1 turn blocker (most of the time) - I'll still take it!

Ipad - neosilk76 
Steam - neosilk 

Tired of the new forum format, and all it's problems?  Try a new forum!

http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

For anyone who cares onyx mage + pestilence demon is a combo.  One you would have to be crazy to try to rely on getting, but a combo none the less.

2 + 2 = fish

mjack33 wrote:

For anyone who cares onyx mage + pestilence demon is a combo.  One you would have to be crazy to try to rely on getting, but a combo none the less.

A self-destructing combo.

I said you would have to be crazy.  Chances are, those would be the only two creatures you had, and you are desperate.  More realistically, you would probably pay 5 life to pestilence.

2 + 2 = fish

Thanks for opinions on high cmc demons, guys! My own rating is almost the same :)

BTW, I just won a mirror match against no-HS build with onyx mages :) Early demons helped me A LOT, so I guess I'm gonna stick to my usual build for now. Maybe I'll try no-HS version tomorrow.

I could use some help deciding on the 4 "chump blockers" for early game. Anyone suggest 4?

@shadowcran

You could use onyx mage because of the deathtouch.

festering goblin can take out 2 toughness people.

soot imp has a nice effect and can block 1/1 's.

soulcage fiend is a 3 power blocker.

I would suggest trying out some combination of these if you just want early chumps.

mortician beetle is only good after it has seen a few edict, and foul imp is.......... kind of bad on blocking.

If you only want 4, I would say 2 soot imp and 2 onyx mage.

2 + 2 = fish

I'll bite on the big demons review party:

Harvester of Souls: could only be better if he flew; this deck can get a lot of death going and generate lots of card advantage as a result. Awesome! Reaper from the Abyss: causes so much rampant death and destruction, beautifu! Hellcarver Demon: Eh, nice body for the cost, hate his ability, we don't have a lot of permanents in this deck. We have other nice bodies that have better abilities. Rune-Scarred Demon: Tutoring on a nice body. Yes! Pestilence Demon: Recyclable weenie-crushing sweeper in a box, I can dig it. Reiver Demon: His ability is a little less useful because of the restrictions, but he's not bad. I run one. Lord of the Void: Nothing but upside. Lord of the Pit: I wish they'd included some more fodder/recursion to make a Grave Pact/Lord of the Pit build viable, but they didn't so he's totally useless.

Though you may want them early, you may draw them late, so I don't like the Festering Goblins. I don't get the hate for Onyx Mage; I understand that it's a huge mana investment considering what you actually get out of it, but what else is this deck going to do? As a late-game topdeck, he still blocks and kills anything on the ground, and he even scares away fliers that are bigger than any Demons you may have (Draining Whelk, exalted nastiness, the mirror, big Dragons, hexproof MM dudes, etc.)

Right now I'm using 4 onyx mages. Before we start, the deck is 60 cards. 25 lands. Seems....perfect so far as far as never getting mana famine or feast.

The other night I drew 3 onyx in opening hand, which is ideal for a mostly chump blocker. It gave me the time easily so I'm leaning towards them. I already use the 2 soot imps as I only play 2hg and demons with zombie partner. Also, it's np if you're playing soot imps with good healing decks. Lol, the other night I used a divine favor on a soot imp to give it more staying power vs the Dodge and burn opponent. Gained 3, lost 1 and it's now 2/5.

Thanks for advice as I honestly was torn on which. If only Onyx mage could give partner's creatures deathtouch.

In 2hg I simply just cut 2 of the larger demons as soot imps can do double duty damage vs most opponents. The deck has more than enough healing to compensate. Also, in 2hg, you tend to need a few chumps, even with all the removal.

I'd like a discussion in here to start on "Lords of Darkness in 2 headed games". What would you keep? what would you omit? which decks are a no no to play partnered with?I, for one, would appreciate the discussion help as it'll speed up the "final deck" for it.

I think Mortician beetle was put in to pair with Lord of the Pit. Instead they should have put in some creatures you can bring out of the grave to sac again. Reassembling Skeleton comes immediately to mind. 

This is a bad thing? That means my opponent has no defence! But to get things straight, that remark was not to suddenly make Screams awesome. Just a good thing to know.

On big demons........... I don't like reiver demon.  I won't use lord of the pit in this.  I miss griselbrand.  That is about it.

Shadowcran wrote:

I'd like a discussion in here to start on "Lords of Darkness in 2 headed games". What would you keep? what would you omit? which decks are a no no to play partnered with?I, for one, would appreciate the discussion help as it'll speed up the "final deck" for it.

I think Mortician beetle was put in to pair with Lord of the Pit. Instead they should have put in some creatures you can bring out of the grave to sac again. Reassembling Skeleton comes immediately to mind. 

On 2HG, this deck can basically partner with any deck that swarms or stalls real well.  The big no nos for partners....... I would have to say the 2 starting green decks.  HS can't do enough on defense in 2HG, and Chant has the exact same weaknesses.  The other matchup I was thinking of........ dragons.  Dragons....... would be interesting as a partner.

Mortician beetle is there for random effects like annihilator, groundbreaker, and grave pact in zombies.  It is also there because of the 4 diabolic edict.

Zombies would probably make the best 2HG partner for this deck.

2 + 2 = fish

Yeah, it does seem odd that they have a demon deck without Griselbrand. He was so good in Obediant Dead.

Duels of the Planeswalkers deck builds and analysis: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/dotp

Another one of my websites: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/rationalchristianity/

I am Blue/White

Yertle, I can understand you want the curve lowish without heartless summoning, but rune-scarred is way too good in your build to not run.  -1 hideous end/doomblade/Halo Hunter, +1 rune-scarred demon, dude ! I'm actually not sure what's the best cut, I mean the 'nonblack removal' is mainly relevant towards a deck that generally just roflstomps you anyway, so one might make the argument to concentrate on your strengths.... still I'm a bit of a 'fan' of the hunters in this deck because all things considered they will be a 'answer me fast or die' situation for many decks, and not all are packing incinerates and the like.

Also I think it's hilarious that Mjack puts up a list from A to Z .... it is even funnier when people respond to him seriously. T) reiver demon is a field wipe, and water tends to be quite wet, mostly.

It was intended to be funny.  Thus, I am quite glad you enjoyed it.

2 + 2 = fish

How do people feel about Exhume? I've used it to cheat Lord of the Void into play by turn 3 a couple times, but I'm not sure if it's reliable enough to earn a spot. It really loses its value as the game goes on...

It'd probably be way overpowered, but I'd love to have an Unburial Rites in this deck. Along with a Griselbrand and a few Sign in Bloods, of course.

exhume relies on you gettng a big enough demon in the grave to make it worth it.  You either need a way to do this really early, or you have to be willing to let your opponent get a dude back also.  I did not find the card reliable enough to keep using it.  I tested it for about 20 matches before removing it though, and it did help win a couple of those games.

2 + 2 = fish

With the exception of Rune-Scarred Demon and Corrupt, I really don't see a reason to go beyond 5 mana in this deck.  You've got 5/4 card draw engines with evasion and you've got 6/3 beaters with amazing evasion and a 5/6 that removes any non demon permanent at 5cmc.  I think I still have 4 cards to unlock at this point but I'm really not feeling Heartless Summoning and the bigass demon build.  Heartless nearly ruins my Halo Hunters anyways.   Running those 7 creatures (8 counting R-S demon) as you're win conditions, not to mention Corrupt, allows you to include nearly all of the early game removal and bunch of the early creatures which lets you really keep the pressure on.  Even if you're only pinging them for 1 a turn, if they can't keep a creature on the board you are winning the game.

Why are so many people using all Doom Blades and Hideous End?  I dropped the Doom Blades as soon as I unlocked them.  The Hideous End might come with a steeper cost, but it does 2 damage which keeps them in pace with you as you're paying life for this or that from your own cards.  I just don't like having so many "non-black creature" restrictions.

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

"Uncle Sixty" returns. Dude, that type of post is why I come to these forums every day; I want to get better at Magic. Get into these strategy threads and shake things up..... you've got the know-how.

Hakeem928 wrote:
"Uncle Sixty" returns. Dude, that type of post is why I come to these forums every day; I want to get better at Magic. Get into these strategy threads and shake things up..... you've got the know-how.

Thanks man.   I can't give any insight on Samurai's, Elves or exalted yet.  haven't unlocked any cards for them. 

I don't buy the "his ETB effect is useless most of the time" arguement against running Halo Hunter.  You're not even paying extra mana for that ability so why worry about it?  It's a 6/3 beater with Intimidate, which one of the best evasion abilities in Magic, for 5MANA.  Better than Flying imho. It's just meat and potatoes good.  When you do get to kill an Angel, that's just the gravy.

And Rune-Scarred should almost always be used to fetch Damnation or Corrupt.  Damnation if you're losing next turn, and Corrupt so that you can win next turn.

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

Why are you excluding Hideous Ends instead of Doom Blades? I mean Blade is cheaper and -2 life is meh.

The point of HS IS running heavy cmc guys because they become viable for lower cost. T5 Lord of the Void and T6 Reiver are godly if they don't get instantly removed.

Weaker Halo Hinter is okay for me because he ends up being sweeped with Damnation or Mutilate few turns after I cast him either way. He still gets to deal his 5-10 damage though.

Point of having more creatures (I have 16 atm) is making sure you'll get smth decent by turn 5 or 6 AND it won't be instantly removed. T3 Halo Hunter/Bloodgift or T4 Reaper from the Abyss usually have to eat removals so T5 Lord of the Void can deal combat damage and his thing.

What's your build, mate? Have you tried it online? My HS-based build is doing just great: w/l statistics is 12/4 for now with 2 loses being completely my own mistakes and not build's fault.

Why are people dropping doom blade and/or hideous end, because they don't hit black, and then running halo hunter?

2 + 2 = fish

My posted build was meant as a control alternative to the HS build; sixty says, "eff that, let's swing for six unblockable ASAP". Maybe that's where the deck needs to be? GoA mentioned suicide black as a possibility during a preliminary analysis, maybe he was right?