Magic 2014 "Lords of Darkness" Decklist & Strategy

637 posts / 0 new
Last post

ShidoshiWins wrote:

So far, with the decks revealed in the expansion, it seems MM and AG will take a fall, but DW will only get better in the meta.

PS: I wish clicking "Save" would save the forum from all this madness that the migration brought.

Right now, I suspect that DB will totally trump the original top 3.  If I'm right, it could really open the game up for a lot of decks to enter into the top tier.  As it stands, DW is not as dominant as AG and MM.  DB should, unless I'm grossly mistaken, have no problem beating AG and MM consistently - and maybe be a fairly even matchup with DW.  That means that all the decks that can consistently beat DB, but lose to the top 3, become suddenly much more viable.  If I'm right, this will create an almost rock, paper, scisors situation that will force people to adjust their decklists in order to adapt.  If that means that the aggro decks have to be a little less aggro, it will be a good thing, because then, they decks that couldn't beat full on aggro will have a better chance as well.  Anyway, this is all just conjecture at this point, because I really haven't had the time to model any of these decks yet.  But, I'm pretty sure I'm right.

Time will tell.

Drogo10 wrote:

Dragon_puncher wrote:

Does every deck need to be top-tier? I think this looks pretty good, the removal is good enough that it should have the advantage against most creature based aggro (DW probably wreaks it though), but it will without a doubt loss out to decks like FW and D&B that can just burn it out.

No, it doesn't have to be top tier at, every deck can't possibly be top tier.    I love mono black control though and since some deck has to be the best I can always hope MBC will be it.     It isn't this time, that's fine, as I said the deck isn't terrible but I think people are over rating it a bit against reasonably fast aggro, i.e. the big three, which will consistently beat this deck.    Hopefully I'm wrong, I'm looking forward to testing it out.

I am not really seeing the consistent beating. 3x Massremoval means that they can't overcommit and I dont see any deck winning consistently by turn 3 with all that other cheap removal. And as soon as you kill the draw options, they are running on topdeck mode.

Absurdity, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.

DJ0045 wrote:

ShidoshiWins wrote:

So far, with the decks revealed in the expansion, it seems MM and AG will take a fall, but DW will only get better in the meta.

PS: I wish clicking "Save" would save the forum from all this madness that the migration brought.

Right now, I suspect that DB will totally trump the original top 3.  If I'm right, it could really open the game up for a lot of decks to enter into the top tier.  As it stands, DW is not as dominant as AG and MM.  DB should, unless I'm grossly mistaken, have no problem beating AG and MM consistently - and maybe be a fairly even matchup with DW.  That means that all the decks that can consistently beat DB, but lose to the top 3, become suddenly much more viable.  If I'm right, this will create an almost rock, paper, scisors situation that will force people to adjust their decklists in order to adapt.  If that means that the aggro decks have to be a little less aggro, it will be a good thing, because then, they decks that couldn't beat full on aggro will have a better chance as well.  Anyway, this is all just conjecture at this point, because I really haven't had the time to model any of these decks yet.  But, I'm pretty sure I'm right.

Time will tell.

I think you're overestemating DaB here. It's definately a good deck, but people are way to much in love with removal and the creatureless, reactionary build and seem to be forgetting that countering spells and burning creatures doesn't actually win you the game. If the creatureless build is the best build, that deck isn't going to warp the format as it simply doesn't have enough "in your face" burn to win quickly and is way too susceptive to lifegain. If everybody starts playing it (which I could easily see happening), I guess it might mean people start taking removal out of some of their other decks though.

Edit: On DaB I personally think Mnemic Wall will be a must-include in most builds and Dranning Welk really doesn't seem bad either. It's a hard deck to judge right now though, looking forward to how the format will change after the expansion

Dragon_puncher wrote:

DJ0045 wrote:

ShidoshiWins wrote:

Time will tell.

I think you're overestemating DaB here. It's definately a good deck, but people are way to much in love with removal and the creatureless, reactionary build and seem to be forgetting that countering spells and burning creatures doesn't actually win you the game. If the creatureless build is the best build, that deck isn't going to warp the format as it simply doesn't have enough "in your face" burn to win quickly and is way too susceptive to lifegain. If everybody starts playing it (which I could easily see happening), I guess it might mean people start taking removal out of some of their other decks though.

Well, for one thing, I'm not necessarily advocating the creatureless build.  And, I'd think this many board wipes should have no problem stopping aggro in its tracks; even the 7 CMC creatures may turn out to be viable, considering how much this deck can stall.  I guess, I should say, I'm guardedly optmisitic about the effect this deck will have on the overall game.

DJ0045 wrote:

Dragon_puncher wrote:

DJ0045 wrote:

ShidoshiWins wrote:

Time will tell.

Well, for one thing, I'm not necessarily advocating the creatureless build.  And, I'd think this many board wipes should have no problem stopping aggro in its tracks; even the 7 CMC creatures may turn out to be viable, considering how much this deck can stall.  I guess, I should say, I'm guardedly optmisitic about the effect this deck will have on the overall game.

On that we can agree (see edit on former post). The deck might be great against AG, Elves and MM, but that doesn't exactly mean it's top-tier, just means it's a good anti-aggro deck.

Yeah... I'm not at all sure it's top tier.  I just think it wrecks the old top tier decks, and maybe evens things out.  Some of the old mid-tier decks will look much better after this.  Basically, DB may be exactly what we needed.

i'm not that sure that D&B will roll over AG and MM too... AG is not just small critters, its 5 drops can actually be quite problematic for DB to deal with... vs MM i think it will be kinda as the DW matchup... if you can get your lord+clone online you win if not you lose and MM ofc have ways to defend with counterspells too.

Aggro decks are doomed...";)

GOD TIER...";(
"Dpad Fighter Forever"

Isidiel wrote:

i'm not that sure that D&B will roll over AG and MM too... AG is not just small critters, its 5 drops can actually be quite problematic for DB to deal with... vs MM i think it will be kinda as the DW matchup... if you can get your lord+clone online you win if not you lose and MM ofc have ways to defend with counterspells too.

AG's 5 drops will die to mass removal, and MM won't do any better... Indestructible, and Hexproof won't stop untargeted spells that kill all the humans (or illusions) that are currently in play.  5/3 Angel will die just fine, maybe even the turn it comes into play (thanks to instant speed).  As for MM's counters, it's an either/or thing for MM.  Either MM puts out a bunch of creatures, and puts DB on a serious clock (oppening itself up for a sweep), or it holds back to counter DB and then it's much slower.  It can't do both at the same time.  I think both matchups favor DB a lot.

DW on the other hand, may be able to recover from the sweepers.  Hard to say right now.

DB will annihilate AG and MM but will struggle with DW's 1-2 CMC creatures, LD will destroy AG, do slightly bad vs MM probably because of counterspells and once again struggle with DW's small creatures (Zombielords will eat removal and stay in the graveyard)

Would have loved more than one Rune-Scarred Demon.

Pretty solid collection of cards overall though.

Interesting, you think D&B will beat AG and MM, but not DW. I think it will do fine vs DW. D&B has so many low damage, low cost burn spells, and DW is low protection generally speaking; of course not once it's set up, but D&B is going to be FAST.

Dragon Puncher brought up an interesting point in that LoD is going to be good vs SM (Elves, remember?). I think being both mid-range decks, LoD is SM's kryptonite, with all of it's removal and whatnot. Not to say D&B won't be good vs SM as well, but since SM and SotS are going to change up the Meta as defined by AG, MM and DW; D&B and LoD are going to be much more effective than without those additions. The only deck that actually doesn't benefit by the other 4 expansion decks is, of course, the fifth, being HoC, which looks rather weak compared to the other options (yet still better than EtD if you ask me). Still going to play every deck, because I can win with every deck.

My guess (obviously different for 1vs1, 2HG and FFA - so its a guessed median between all modes and the individual card strength and synergy):
1. this deck

2. DW
3. DB

4. AG

5. MM/Aura
6. Elves

7. Chant/Dimir

8. Samurai

9. Exalted

10. Burn

11. Green

12. Dragon

13. Sliver

The top 7-8 aren't only good in 1vs1, but in every mode (some more, some less). What makes the top 3 so strong is that they really don't care what the other decks are playing (Angel dies to Sacrifice and so does the Eldrazi, every card can get countered etc.). They only counter each other to a certain extend.

Edit: This Forum is killing me, no wonder there are so many people discussing if they aren't better of leaving.

Absurdity, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.

gmccoy42 wrote:

Interesting, you think D&B will beat AG and MM, but not DW. I think it will do fine vs DW. D&B has so many low damage, low cost burn spells, and DW is low protection generally speaking; of course not once it's set up, but D&B is going to be FAST.

Dragon Puncher brought up an interesting point in that LoD is going to be good vs SM (Elves, remember?). I think being both mid-range decks, LoD is SM's kryptonite, with all of it's removal and whatnot. Not to say D&B won't be good vs SM as well, but since SM and SotS are going to change up the Meta as defined by AG, MM and DW; D&B and LoD are going to be much more effective than without those additions. The only deck that actually doesn't benefit by the other 4 expansion decks is, of course, the fifth, being HoC, which looks rather weak compared to the other options (yet still better than EtD if you ask me). Still going to play every deck, because I can win with every deck.

Well playing against SM will be all about keeping the massive number of elves in check, if the deck gets to amass a hoard you'll be dead fast. Therefore you'll want lots of removal, especially removal that can kill multiple creatures, which LoD is of course pretty good at. Generally I think FW, EtD, DW, SH, LoD and DaB, will be the best anti-elf decks, don't think all of these win outright, but they definately have a good chance.

And generally I think DW will be considered the best deck after the expansion as it's the only deck without any real bad match-ups.

Edit: Just for funsies, a loose tier list (tiers aren't ordered in their individual ranks):

Top Tier

• Avacyn's Glory
  • Deadwalkers
  • Mind maze

High Tier

• Guardians of light
  • Firewave
  • Dodge and Burn
  • Sylvan Might

Mid tier

• Masks of the dimir
  • Chant of the Mul Daya
  • Lords of Darkness
  • Sword of the samurai

Low Tier

• Hunter's Strength
  • Enter the dracomancer
  • Sliverhive
  • Hall of the Champions.

I can't imagine that either this deck or DB will do much against AG's dominance.  DB's sweepers are nice, but Honor of the Pure and Baneslayers do quite a bit to put AG's creatures out of range; that, and realistically AG's Champions will be above 3/3 by turn 3, so without an early Searing Spear or Volcanic Fallout, many games could effectively be over very quickly - especially if AG goes first.  The one thing DB may do is cause more AG players to run Baneslayer though.

LoD doesn't seem fast enough to deal with AG.  The sweepers are great, but AG is quite good at recovering from sweepers.  So as long as the AG player doesn't overextend, it shouldn't have too much trouble.  That, and the sweepers (other than Mutilate) won't immediately remove the Angelic Overseers.  Heartless Summoning + some of the big nasty demon sweepers could make a big difference against AG I guess, but realistically a Pestilence Demon or Reiver Demon won't come until turn 6 and you're likely to be dead before that.  Plus, Baneslayers.

DB and LoD might do better than any current deck against AG - but that's because every current deck gets utterly stomped by AG and the margin of its dominance is overwhelming.  They might narrow the margin somewhat but AG's still going to win the majority of its games against them.  Because balance.

I think the Samurai deck has a much better shot at countering AG than either DB or LoD.

totally agree with dh50 even if i hope to be proven wrong as i prefer control decks, especially in blue and black ^^

Tre1000 wrote:

I usually nicknamed top tier decks. In 2013 I called Cross Winds Cheap Wins. Players would run straight to CW whenever they lost a match or two just so they could win a round. So I think i'm going to nickname Dodge and Burn Rage and Quit. As this is what many people will do when they play against that deck...  In a 2HG D&B+MM, or D&B+FW will be difficult to deal with... Well, partnered with the FW I made lol.  

How is the nickname for D&B not dick and balls?

Steam Name: Yertle{U}The{B}Turtle

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/YertleTheMFnTurtle

New Forum: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

AGs flaw is that it often plays its hand out in about 2-4 turns. This can be a gamble. If the opponent can wipe or slow AGs down by nullifying their big hitters, then AG begins playing by the draw. AG is pretty much done. This is if AG gets a lucky Honor of the Pure with multiple Gather the Townsfolk. Most times AG relies on Meek to help them draw as they play their cheap creatures. Most time when you kill Meek AG will fall apart. Especially if AG is constantly drawing mana, or big angels with no mana to cast them.

I'm pretty sure LoD is suppose to revolve more around using its sacrifice, and suicide effects to win. The enchantments can play a vital role when they hit the field, like FWs enchantments. LoD should be decent against AG if you keep the smaller creatures in like Mortican Beetle, Festering Goblin, Soulcage Fiend, and Soot Imp. There's plenty of removal that can support these smaller creatures and the removal will take down most non token creatures. LoD would have a tough time against creatures like Angelic Overseer though. This isn't that bad because there are so many ways to remove creatures in this deck.

I think the aggressiveness, and speed of AG will be in question. AG will have to start relying more on its large angels rather than its small humans after the DLC hits to avoid the mass removal of the 2 new decksLoD has Grave Pact, and Damnation on turn 4. D&B has Volcanic Fallout or Sulfurous Blast on turn 3-4. Not the metion both decks have multiple copies of these cards, increasing the odds of appearing. 

I'm testing this deck with cockatrice and it gets owned badly by Dodge & burn well D&B doesn't have any creatures so you know why :P

Oh hypocrisy! A World full of n00bs indeed!

SM doesn't need a nickname - just add an ampersand.

It will be interesting if this deck and D&B change the meta.  It really depends on how frequently they are played.  Right now, it seems like 30% of my games on steam are vs CoTMD and not vs the big 3. 

I think in a serious tournament etc. people would definitely take the new options into account, but your meta is defined more by what people actually play than by what they theoretically should play. 

N00BGamerIsN00b wrote:

I'm testing this deck with cockatrice and it gets owned badly by Dodge & burn well D&B doesn't have any creatures so you know why :P

LoD also hates burn, so it shouldn't come as a surprise! :P

N00BGamerIsN00b wrote:

try it vs AG, i'm quite curious ^^

(btw, just to have an idea, can you post an updated list of what are you testing?)

Isidiel wrote:

N00BGamerIsN00b wrote:

try it vs AG, i'm quite curious ^^

(btw, just to have an idea, can you post an updated list of what are you testing?)

Vs Avacyn's Glory is very similiar to Obedient Dead vs Goblins, you need a Mutilate or Damnation pretty soon coz you can get overrun very quickly, i will post my build soon...

thx

yep the deck seem a bit slow for AG that also have good removals for the big threats :/

This is my current build with control focus:

11 creatures:

Bloodgift Demon x3

Festering Goblin x2

Harvester of Souls x1

Pestilence Demon x1

Shadowborn Demon x1

Reaper from the Abyss x1

Reiver Demon x1

Rune-Scarred Demon x1

5 Enchantments:

Heartless Summoning x3

No Mercy x1

Diabolic Servitude x1

19 Spells:

Diabolic Edict x4

Doom Blade x2

Hideous End x2

Tendrils of Corruption x1

Corrupt x1

Damnation x2

Harrowing Journey x2

Infernal Tutor x1

Innocent Blood x1

Mutilate x1

Promise of Power x2

25 Lands

-------

My first build obvious is not perfect and i'm playing cockatrice with myself so is nowhere near perfect or anything like that, cockatrice is only usefull to give you an idea...

Yea D&B is pretty much the worst matchup LD could possibly ask for, doesn't make much sense to judge the deck from its performance against D&B

Bereas wrote:

My guess (obviously different for 1vs1, 2HG and FFA - so its a guessed median between all modes and the individual card strength and synergy):

12. Dragon

You should reexplore this deck after the promos.

It does take devour/chump, ramp/chump and very aggressive mulliganing to win, and like MM of last year, the balls to get into low life total to set yourself up.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

Prominence21 wrote:

I think Shadowborn Demon is even worse here than it is in Dimir (I run it in Dimir). Dimir lacks good removal and you can sac some small rats or sprites to make him live another turn. In this deck you have tons of removal and only big dudes which you don't want to sacrifice.

Also, first deck with 10 useful promo codes

Nope I disagree shadowborn is worse here. Look at these 3 cards

Grave Pact

Diabolic Servitude
 Heartless Summoning

If you summon shadowborn after grave pact, its always a 1 for 2 for their creatures.

Diabolic Servitude in your hand after you done the above (shadowborn in graveyard) is another 1 for 2 on demand and  Diabolic Servitude goes back to your hand again so you can cast it on other creatures again.

And in late game you draw it, with heartless x2, is a doom blade cost without that stupid non-black drawback.

I have play alot of zombies and match up against mirror, dimir and in rare instances "dragons"

I hate that doom blade in my hand and then I draw another one.

The deck looks really slow, but I am going to wait to see how it goes when you all test it.

Honestly, they aren't willing to put in things like dark ritual and lake of the dead, and they are too lazy to put in thngs like abyssal persecutor.  The only major change I would thus immediately think of is desecration demons instead of lord of the pits.

2 + 2 = fish

Wizards_Sean wrote:

Featured in the Magic 2014 Expansion:

Lords of Darkness

• 4 x Foul Imp - okay, but the 2 life sucks in 1v1
  • 4 x Onyx Mage - okay, nothign to really combo with here like it had in last year's rakdos
  • 2 x Festering Goblin - only really worth it in aggroish or sacrifice build
  • 2 x Soot Imp - this can get really nasty if it lives a long time
  • 4 x Soulcage Fiend - good, but I feel like this deck pays too much life for too many things
  • 2 x Bloodgift Demon - really good, but it can also force you in a bad situation to make your opponent pay cards
  • 3 x Renegade Demon - I don't like it, because it is a vanilla 5/3
  • 1 x Mortician Beetle - not good enough, because you have to build around it too much
  • 1 x Lord of the Void - really good once you get rid of all their fliers
  • 2 x Doom Blade - must run here
  • 1 x Lord of the Pit - unless you are doing a dedicated sacrifice build, this really sucks because you have no recursion
  • 3 x Diabolic Edict - really freaking good if htey only have one monster, because this is an aggro meta it really loses power
  • 2 x Triumph of Cruelty - too slow
  • 2 x Harrowing Journey - I personally don't like this card.  It is basically 1.5 sign in blood for 2.5 times the mana.  However, it might be must run due to this deck's slowness.
  • 2 x Tendrils of Corruption - tendrils of corruptions is must run here
  • 25 x Swamp

Unlocks

1. Reiver Demon - this is a guaranteed field wipe versus 13 of the decks, but I don't like paying 8 mana; however, a lot of peole are going to run 7 mana cards, so might be worth consideration
  2. Promise of Power - really freaking good, but can also be a dead draw later on
  3. Grave Pact - really freaking good, but nowhere near as good as in deadwalkers
  4. Screams from Within - you will eventually end up putting this on your own creature, and it only kills 1/1's; however, I say run it because it can kills a bunch of humans and/or weaken a threat for a long time
  5. Lord of the Pit
  6. Hideous End - 3 mana to kill something; also, it is one of the first cards that does not do damage to you!
  7. Mortician Beetle
  8. Exhume -......... again, dedicated sacrifice build; also, your opponent will probably end up getting something too at this deck's speed, so I say don't run it.
  9. Halo Hunter - unblockable 6 power dude versus 13 of the decks; is worth running at least one because of that alone in 1v1
  10. Pestilence Demon - more added to the suicide theme; however this is one of the best demons out there, and I say run it if you are running the higher level dudes
  11. Triumph of Cruelty
  12. Harvester of Souls - sacrifice build
  13. Innocent Blood - sacrifice build?; really freaking good anyways, so should run
  14. Reaper from the Abyss - good in any build, best in a sacrifice build
  15. Hideous End
  16. Halo Hunter
  17. Heartless Summoning - this card offers you acceleration, at the cost of being very meh later on and permanently weakening all your dudes, as you personally won't be able to get rid of it; basically a card I would say should be run if you are going for a really fast build and should not run in a control version
  18. Hellcarver Demon - this card is an all or nothing triumph, you win or lose based on this one card;  in paper, it is used to cheat emrakul, the aeons torn into play; here... I say it is not worth it
  19. Demon of Death's Gate - too expensive, and you are already paying too much life for other things
  20. Shadowborn Demon - great, and in this deck I can actually see you getting to the point where it stays frequently
  21. No Mercy - really freaking good, way too good; will most likely have form of the dragon syndrome
  22. Screams from Within
  23. Heartless Summoning
  24. Diabolic Servitude - a reusable form of reanimation, if you can get a lot of cards in grave; I say only run if you are sacrificing a lot of things
  25. Diabolic Edict
  26. Grave Pact
  27. Infernal Tutor - great for restocking your hand, or if you want that second damnation
  28. Triumph of Cruelty
  29. Screams from Within
  30. Damnation - really freaking good field wipe

Promos

1. Damnation 
  2. Mutilate - really good field wipe
  3. Reiver Demon
  4. Promise of Power
  5. Rune-Scarred Demon - demonic tutor on a 7/7 body; yay
  6. Pestilence Demon
  7. Bloodgift Demon
  8. Corrupt - deadwalker's people's prayers be answered
  9. Halo Hunter
  10. Heartless Summoning

Due to recent events, I now have had to explain my position on this deck.  Above are listed individually what I think of each card.  As a whole, I think that there are way too many cards that ask you to pay your own life, and that this could be a problem.  There are also a lot of cards that seem want something else to be sacrificed, while you don't really have the creatures for that, and you also only have 3 cards I would consider reliable for self sacrifice (2 are at 7 mana man).  Thus I only like mortician beetle out of those, and only in a dedicated build.  I think the deck looks too slow to really compete with AG, and I don't like that half of your early creatures lose you life at some point.  Thus I think running it in an aggro meta is risky.  If I had to suggest a strategy, I would suggest stalling with little dudes and destruction just enough that you can start to get out the big demons.  The 3 heartless summoning would always be run if I made this deck.

2 + 2 = fish

Honestly this deck seems like the most braindead deck to ever appear in Duels. Just removal and big creatures, pretty much no strategy whatsoever.

I think Screams from Within is a very legitimate card if the deck proves to be too slow against aggro decks, especially if you get 2 or so of these on the field. Also makes the Diabolic Edicts better.

I'm probably not running Hideous End because I don't want to end up with too many dead draws against DW, Dimir and the mirror match.

Screams from Within doesn't work really well with sweepers or if you manage to kill all of your opponent's creatures.

Lol have you ever played any Duels game???

Screams from within goes back to your hand if it is sent to the GY, so in that sense it does work well with creatures.

It is not powerful enough to outright kill most creatures.  It will be useful vs the elf deck (Wellwisher etc.) and a small handful of humans, but most creatures are > 2 toughness.  It may also be helpful vs samurai.  Vs. illusions it is another one-use kill spell. 

So ideally vs the decks I listed above it is an expensive kill spell that will provide card advantage. 

However the vast majority of decks run creatures with greater power or toughness.  The purpose of this card is then to either slightly reduce the amount of damage you take, or put creatures within range of tendrils / mutilate / corrupt.

Overall I am not too impressed.  It does not mix well with edict effects.  I will give it a try when unlocking none the less.

HenWen wrote:

Screams from within goes back to your hand if it is sent to the GY, so in that sense it does work well with creatures.

It is not powerful enough to outright kill most creatures.  It will be useful vs the elf deck (Wellwisher etc.) and a small handful of humans, but most creatures are > 2 toughness.  It may also be helpful vs samurai.  Vs. illusions it is another one-use kill spell. 

So ideally vs the decks I listed above it is an expensive kill spell that will provide card advantage. 

However the vast majority of decks run creatures with greater power or toughness.  The purpose of this card is then to either slightly reduce the amount of damage you take, or put creatures within range of tendrils / mutilate / corrupt.

Overall I am not too impressed.  It does not mix well with edict effects.  I will give it a try when unlocking none the less.

It doesn't return to your hand, it returns to play. Meaning if there are no creatures on the battlefield it stays in the graveyard.

The card hurts humans, elves, some zombies, and any deck with a bunch of 1/1s.

2 + 2 = fish

...whatever

Screams from Within doesn't target when it comes back from the Graveyard afaik, so you can enchant hexproof/shroud guys and also illusions like the flying 2/1 without losing your enchantment. IMO the card is actually what this deck needs, it buys time. Imagine playing this against Elves or AG

How is telling someone to go kill themself at all a useful post?  What is it supposed to accomplish?

Here is a more analytical view of the card for those who care.

It can kill over half of the 3 cmc or lower monsters in the game. It does this reusably.  It is thus good against aggro.

IN ADDITION, it weakens your opponent's things permanently, and it makes most of the mid range monsters in the game a joke compared to your demons.  bloodgift and the 5/3 don't have to worry as much about your opponent's dudes

Against the card, it is bad against field wipes.  This has already been stated, but I would like to add that nothing in the game except some enchantments can be considered "good" versus field wipes.

The card might also eventually end up on one of your own dudes, but at that point they are creatureless, and arguing that it is bad when they are creatureless is moot.

Edit: thank you for changing your post.

2 + 2 = fish

I

N00BGamerIsN00b wrote:

Lol have you ever played any Duels game???

Are you referring to my post above? I remember decks like dark heavens or mana mastery (i.e. slow decks with lots of mass removal, like this one) used to have some interesting mechanics (sacrifice combos in the first, figuring out which colors to fetch or what to tutor for in the second).

I honestly don't remember a control deck as simple in concept as this one. Sorry if my other post sounded trollish.

Sign In to post comments