Magic 2014 "Lords of Darkness" Decklist & Strategy

637 posts / 0 new
Last post

Githilyak_ wrote:

Not a fan of seeing another deck with Gravepact, did we honestly need that ridiculous card? I hate it so much in DW, and now Lords of Darkness has two copies.

Luckily for you, Gravepact is not as good in this deck as it was in Deadwalkers.

But significantly fewer ways to abuse it

Githilyak_ wrote:

Not a fan of seeing another deck with Gravepact, did we honestly need that ridiculous card? I hate it so much in DW, and now Lords of Darkness has two copies.

I will be not used very much here, so no big deal. Unless... you do an alternate build with imps (I did and I will probably try it).

Ranccor wrote:

Ah, Lord of the Pit brings back memories from Alpha/Beta. Too bad at the time all the best creatures had huge drawbacks (Force of Nature, Demonic Horde, etc.), while all the best spells were just ridiculous (Ancestral Recall, Black Lotus).

ehhh yep... now we have pretty much the opposite, cheat superefficent creatures with big ups and crappy spells T_T

Yeah I was wrong to include grave pact.  This deck kinda wants some source of tokens for lord of the pit and grave pact but has none.

Believer how do you expect triumph to cruelty to perform?  I think it might help vs the blue decks, which will be the hardest matchups for this deck.  BUT if they can bounce / kill your creature, it will have no utility - you have to wait till your next upkeep for it to resolve, giving your opponent a chance to deal with it.

I am not thrilled with the 8 drop demons but there are not many other cards I would want to draw in their place.  I may test harrowing journey and see how it works, but at 5 mana you should have that ability at instant speed.  It may be worth it to run one of each as tutor targets.   

Shadowborn demon is mainly there for anti-black utility, and anti-blue as well in case they copy/steal your demons.  You only have three targeted removal spells that can deal with black.  Also, it may be useful to have a way of eating your pacified etc. creatures.  It costs 2 more than hideous end and doesn't cost life loss, but having reliable removal is worth it.  It will, unfortunately, be completely useless in the mirror, but I think it is worth testing.

Interesting catch on no mercy / pestilence demon.  It shouldn't come up too frequently, but it might be good to run one or the other but not both.   

I saw more than 1 list with Demon of Death's Gate and that doesn't make sense to me, at least with other better Demons to include. Your other Demons are perfectly capable of winning the game on their own, without costing 9, and you're not going to pay the alternate cost in this deck. At least if you're not playing a suicide aggro build, which looks like it's going to be possible.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

First of all, heartless summoning does more evil things than grave pact in this deck.

Second, deck looks like stall and destroy crap (i.e. doom blade) till get demon.

Third, that is it.  No expansion for jack. It sucks.  Demon  deck looks bad, exalted deck looks bad, I don't like red blue as a whole (only good one in expansion), and 2 aggro decks be two aggro decks.  No more mtg until next june.   Blizzard wants my business more, and diablo 3 is calling my name.

2 + 2 = fish

$5 (assuming it is similarly priced as the DotP 2013 expansion) for 5 decks, additional challenges, portraits and campaign levels seems like a good deal to me at least. I will be getting my money's worth of gameplay hours. *Throws $5 bill at monitor*

felbatista wrote:

I saw more than 1 list with Demon of Death's Gate and that doesn't make sense to me, at least with other better Demons to include. Your other Demons are perfectly capable of winning the game on their own, without costing 9, and you're not going to pay the alternate cost in this deck. At least if you're not playing a suicide aggro build, which looks like it's going to be possible.

Problem is, there really isn't any better demon's to include. The closest to another good demon is probably Halo Hunter, but that's simply to fragile to be worth it in the deck imo. Demon of Death's Gate is expensive, but it's big size means it's still a big threat with two Heartless summoning down, which can't be said for all your demon's. I surpose you could be running Harrowing Journey instead and that might be worth it, but I'm kinda skeptical of taking out any of the few creatures, since they're pretty much your only wincon.

Dragon_puncher wrote:

felbatista wrote:

Problem is, there really isn't any better demon's to include. The closest to another good demon is probably Halo Hunter, but that's simply to fragile to be worth it in the deck imo. Demon of Death's Gate is expensive, but it's big size means it's still a big threat with two Heartless summoning down, which can't be said for all your demon's. I surpose you could be running Harrowing Journey instead and that might be worth it, but I'm kinda skeptical of taking out any of the few creatures, since they're pretty much your only wincon.

I would play Journey or Shadowborn Demon way before start thinking about DDG...

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

mjack33 wrote:

First of all, heartless summoning does more evil things than grave pact in this deck.

Second, deck looks like stall and destroy crap (i.e. doom blade) till get demon.

Third, that is it.  No expansion for jack. It sucks.  Demon  deck looks bad, exalted deck looks bad, I don't like red blue as a whole (only good one in expansion), and 2 aggro decks be two aggro decks.  No more mtg until next june.   Blizzard wants my business more, and diablo 3 is calling my name.

There are deck packs coming... you ain't goin' nowhere.

Remember Grim and MM????  Huh???

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

Ummm... I'm ok with him leaving, if it means he stops posting... Lol

That said, I totally disagree with his assessment. 

I love to gamble with my own health while playing MTG. Makes the game more interesting when you manage to win while harming yourself in the process. I can see what i'm going to do with this deck! Suicide black all the way!

HenWen wrote:

Yeah I was wrong to include grave pact.  This deck kinda wants some source of tokens for lord of the pit and grave pact but has none.

Believer how do you expect triumph to cruelty to perform?  I think it might help vs the blue decks, which will be the hardest matchups for this deck.  BUT if they can bounce / kill your creature, it will have no utility - you have to wait till your next upkeep for it to resolve, giving your opponent a chance to deal with it.

I am not thrilled with the 8 drop demons but there are not many other cards I would want to draw in their place.  I may test harrowing journey and see how it works, but at 5 mana you should have that ability at instant speed.  It may be worth it to run one of each as tutor targets.

Shadowborn demon is mainly there for anti-black utility, and anti-blue as well in case they copy/steal your demons.  You only have three targeted removal spells that can deal with black.  Also, it may be useful to have a way of eating your pacified etc. creatures.  It costs 2 more than hideous end and doesn't cost life loss, but having reliable removal is worth it.  It will, unfortunately, be completely useless in the mirror, but I think it is worth testing.

Interesting catch on no mercy / pestilence demon.  It shouldn't come up too frequently, but it might be good to run one or the other but not both.

I think Triumph of Cruelty will perform at least well and the key for this to work is the hated Halo Hunter. Shadowborn Demon on the other hand will be only good in an imp build.

I think a can build a good removal deck with this. 

IMAGE(https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/eb11/anyarpxhyntrzn86g.jpg)

IMAGE(https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/eb11/anyarpxhyntrzn86g.jpg)

It does kill all the angels in GoL however(Seraph of the Sword, angel tokens, and anything enchanted with angelic destiny).  But like you said, not the really important ones.

21 Lands???

Oh hypocrisy! A World full of n00bs indeed!

N00BGamerIsN00b wrote:

21 Lands???

Ya, 21 lands will not cut it. I personally prefer the 25 lands that is listed.

I'm happy with this list. Good to see another control option; and a different style to the others to boot. Coupled with burn & burn, the meta will be well shaken up -- it's just a pity we had to spend so long under the oppressive rule of the Big 3. I'm excited to play 3 of the 5 expansion decks; exalted interests me the least.

WTF....3xHalo Hunters and no Giselbrand.....nobody smart even ran Halo Hunter in 2013 nor would they in this meta...this deck looks suicidal...high cost demons no ramp help whatsoever...the Kill-alls are comforting but in what world is Lord of the Pit beneficial with only 3 life gain options and little to none creature graveyard synergy...the first 3 decks look alright...these are gonna f**k it all up :/

against dodge and burn this deck is gonna get its **** countered and end up diggin itself in a hole just cuz of all the sacrifice first effects...i mean look at how good the ETD is...you just kill the dragon he sacrificed his defence for and boom...complete loss of board control..i might not buy this expansion..and if i do its purely out of boredom :/

felbatista wrote:

Dragon_puncher wrote:

felbatista wrote:

I would play Journey or Shadowborn Demon way before start thinking about DDG...

Shadowborn demon might be better, but 9/10 he's just going to be another kill spell rather than a creature that can win the game.

I usually nicknamed top tier decks. In 2013 I called Cross Winds Cheap Wins. Players would run straight to CW whenever they lost a match or two just so they could win a round. So I think i'm going to nickname Dodge and Burn Rage and Quit. As this is what many people will do when they play against that deck...  In a 2HG D&B+MM, or D&B+FW will be difficult to deal with... Well, partnered with the FW I made lol.  

"Another kill spell" is fine.  He costs as much as a murder with heartless out.  8/10 times my Shadowborn is just a kill spell in Dimir too - but he also provides a body for at least a turn.  Having a huge creature that can also chump block death touch / hexproof / etc. is quite handy. 

I mainly want a removal spell that is effective against black.  We do have access to a lot of edict effects but I do not consider them too reliable in this meta, and not with only three sweepers in this deck.  If you are short on mana you will have to mutilate grave titan to remove the tokens AND use an edict.  Your opponent can simply reanimate it next turn. 

Finally, you can also reanimate the demon via the 4 cmc enchantment whose name escapes me.  I am not saying that it has huge synergy, just that there is a gap in our removal options and he fills it nicely plus provides a great chump blocker for a turn.  This is a stall deck as much as anything and a temporary blocker can encourage your opponent to dump more creatures on the field for you to sweep.

As far as triumph of cruelty, I will certainly try it as I am unlocking the deck.  My aggro plan is heartless > bloodgift, my defensive plan is removal > sweeper.  Triumph is only effective if cast in the first 5 turns.  Certainly worth testing, but the problem is that you need to cast it early and it has no board impact.  You can cast it on turn 3 and a demon on turn 4 at the earliest, which means your opponent will not discard their first card until turn 5.     

Looks like a good suicide/control partner in 2HG. What I do know is that the worst of the 10 originals only get worse from here on out which is pretty maddening imo.

I think Shadowborn Demon is even worse here than it is in Dimir (I run it in Dimir). Dimir lacks good removal and you can sac some small rats or sprites to make him live another turn. In this deck you have tons of removal and only big dudes which you don't want to sacrifice.

Also, first deck with 10 useful promo codes

True_Believer_02 wrote:

I think Triumph of Cruelty will perform at least well and the key for this to work is the hated Halo Hunter. Shadowborn Demon on the other hand will be only good in an imp build.

Triumph of Cruelty have indeed some potential but the thing that kinda scares me is that is pretty slow and by turn 4 it leaves us with no board presence. With the aggro decks it can be veeeery bad as they have probably a small army that alredy dealt a good amount of dmg.

even if we wipe the board at turn 4 we will be unalbe to take advantage of the discard as it is going to hit (at best) by turn 6 where the opponent have probably alredy emptied his hand.

and even going with something like

t2 summon, t3 removal, t4 demon, t5 cruelty doesnt look that good as it is still going to hit turn 6 and probably there will be some better demon to play by turn 5

vs slower decks the card is going to be pretty nice, but considering the dominating decks are all the aggro ones and that they have tons of removal (making the card even slower) i doubt it will be that good

Shadowborn Demon on the other hand seem quite good, sure the deck probably is not going to take full advantage of it, but it is still a 5 mana removal that with summon becomes a Murder that leaves a good body for blocking for a turn... so not that bad at all, especially considering that most spot removals of this deck cant hit black.

As this deck has 2 copies each of Lord of the Pit and Grave pact I would've liked them to build around these cards with creatures like cadaver imp x4 or reassembling skeleton x4 - these guys would ensure you never run out of creatures to sacrifice.

I like Lord of the Pit but you need to build the deck around the card to make it work.

HenWen wrote:

"Another kill spell" is fine.  He costs as much as a murder with heartless out.  8/10 times my Shadowborn is just a kill spell in Dimir too - but he also provides a body for at least a turn.  Having a huge creature that can also chump block death touch / hexproof / etc. is quite handy. 

I mainly want a removal spell that is effective against black.  We do have access to a lot of edict effects but I do not consider them too reliable in this meta, and not with only three sweepers in this deck.  If you are short on mana you will have to mutilate grave titan to remove the tokens AND use an edict.  Your opponent can simply reanimate it next turn. 

Finally, you can also reanimate the demon via the 4 cmc enchantment whose name escapes me.  I am not saying that it has huge synergy, just that there is a gap in our removal options and he fills it nicely plus provides a great chump blocker for a turn.  This is a stall deck as much as anything and a temporary blocker can encourage your opponent to dump more creatures on the field for you to sweep.

As far as triumph of cruelty, I will certainly try it as I am unlocking the deck.  My aggro plan is heartless > bloodgift, my defensive plan is removal > sweeper.  Triumph is only effective if cast in the first 5 turns.  Certainly worth testing, but the problem is that you need to cast it early and it has no board impact.  You can cast it on turn 3 and a demon on turn 4 at the earliest, which means your opponent will not discard their first card until turn 5.     

It's another kill spell in a deck filled to the brink with them and with quote a few cards that can actually win you the game. The card is obviously much better in Dimir, but I aggre he might be good enough here, he does at least have some synergy with Reaper from the Abyss and Harvester of Souls. Just don't go taking out demons to make room for him.

Triumph will be good in making your opponent overcommit. The discard is really not essential. Mass removal simply loves that.

mmm i dont agree, if i'm playing aggro and by turn 3 i have lets say 6 power on the board and you just played Triumph i'm just going to await, swing in with my guys and catch wathever thing you are going to play...

i really dont need to overcommit as at turn 4 you are probably alredy on a 2 turn clock so i'm alredy in a position to play a removal and finish off the game while your only out is a wrath.

This deck (like as in HS) is good if you make it as a 50 cards deck.

I ended up with the same build as Dragon_pouncher independently.

but I would have gladly go

-4 swamps

-1 heartless summoning (getting 2 is an issue, not to mention 3, or getting it late game with your monster draws)

-1 infernal tutor (I think that being empty in hand will be quite a rare occusion, and I don't see many cards that I want to have double of, and even the cards that I want double of, I don't want to expose).

-1 demon of the 9'th gate (too expensive).

-1 reiver demon, pestilence demon (both situational, and rune sacred can bring them also).

-1 no mercy (I'm convinced I'm running it, but I mentioned why I'm not crazy for it).

I don't like the other options.

Decklist is a let down for me.    I was hoping for a strong mono black control but this isn't it.    It isn't terrible certainly, it has a very nice removal package, but it is frequently going to get run over by quick aggro decks before it can stablize.    I see an awful lot of life loss effects and very little ways to get it back.     The cheap creatures don't look anywhere near good enough to run an aggro version.     The control version should be more viable but mid tier at best.    This is just at a glance, have to play with it and see to be sure but it doesn't look like it is going to be one of the stronger decks which sucks since MBC is my favourite deck type.    

OD was one of the most powerful deck in dotp 2013 IMHO.

and speaking of which, it had many crappy cards also, but the brilliant cards were just enough to get to a wonderful 60/61 cards deck.

@Isidiel

Your scenario would be true if not by Heartless Summoning and the other removal options. They will wreck aggro decks at least enough for your bombs to show up and then Triumph of Cruelty will guarantee that he must overcommit every turn.

Combine this with the potencial card draw this deck have and this is probably the closest you can get of a true control deck.

Drogo10 wrote:

Decklist is a let down for me.    I was hoping for a strong mono black control but this isn't it.    It isn't terrible certainly, it has a very nice removal package, but it is frequently going to get run over by quick aggro decks before it can stablize.    I see an awful lot of life loss effects and very little ways to get it back.     The cheap creatures don't look anywhere near good enough to run an aggro version.     The control version should be more viable but mid tier at best.    This is just at a glance, have to play with it and see to be sure but it doesn't look like it is going to be one of the stronger decks which sucks since MBC is my favourite deck type.    

Does every deck need to be top-tier? I think this looks pretty good, the removal is good enough that it should have the advantage against most creature based aggro (DW probably wreaks it though), but it will without a doubt loss out to decks like FW and D&B that can just burn it out.

This looks like a decent midrange deck.  I'm not really understanding the hate.  I think it will do fine.  DW will wreck it though.  That said, 3 sweepers is nothing to scoff at.  I just wish the deck had some more graveyard interactivity.

Dragon_puncher wrote:

Does every deck need to be top-tier? I think this looks pretty good, the removal is good enough that it should have the advantage against most creature based aggro (DW probably wreaks it though), but it will without a doubt loss out to decks like FW and D&B that can just burn it out.

No, it doesn't have to be top tier at, every deck can't possibly be top tier.    I love mono black control though and since some deck has to be the best I can always hope MBC will be it.     It isn't this time, that's fine, as I said the deck isn't terrible but I think people are over rating it a bit against reasonably fast aggro, i.e. the big three, which will consistently beat this deck.    Hopefully I'm wrong, I'm looking forward to testing it out.

So far, with the decks revealed in the expansion, it seems MM and AG will take a fall, but DW will only get better in the meta.

PS: I wish clicking "Save" would save the forum from all this madness that the migration brought.

Drogo10 wrote:

Dragon_puncher wrote:

No, it doesn't have to be top tier at, every deck can't possibly be top tier.    I love mono black control though and since some deck has to be the best I can always hope MBC will be it.     It isn't this time, that's fine, as I said the deck isn't terrible but I think people are over rating it a bit against reasonably fast aggro, i.e. the big three, which will consistently beat this deck.    Hopefully I'm wrong, I'm looking forward to testing it out.

I'm not sure AG consistantly beats demon's, all your removal should keep the early rush in check and sweeps wreaks the deck as well. + While only having a few actual bombs that win you the game can be a problem vs some decks, vs AG it should be fine since the deck simply doesn't have enough removal to take out all your demon's especially because of all the card draw.

You're definately right vs MM and DW though. Just looking over the lists LoD should at least have the advantage against HS, GoW, CotMD, EtD, SH, HoC and SotS. AG and elves are kinda up in the air IMO, if you get a Damnation or Mutilate turn 4 you probably win, otherwise you probably lose.