Magic 2014 "Lords of Darkness" Decklist & Strategy

637 posts / 0 new
Last post

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

Appears.. interesting.. if a bit meh. I'll reserve my opinions until I see it in action.

Thanks Sean, still hard to browes the deck on mobile but looks good on the surface

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

This doesn't look good but not bad either i don't like it much...

BTW where is Griselbrand

Oh hypocrisy! A World full of n00bs indeed!

Suicide Black or control builds look possible at first glance. Guardedly optimistic.

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

Lots of removal here. I wonder if it can be a decent control deck, sort of like an inferior version of last year's mono black.

Not my cup of tea but a big woop for more sweepers.

I got the Reaper from the Abyss that I wanted, so I'm happy. A bit miffed about Griselbrand's exclusion, but whatever, because we get multiple Bloodgift Demons. Also very excited for Heartless Summoning, though I'm not sure how impactful it'll be as a singleton. Probably too inconsistent, but I still love the card.
Wait, three copies of Heartless Summoning? Wow. Also of note is the extreme difficulty of using this forum via mobile. Ugh, I'm out.

Hello, new numbero 1. I for one welcome our new demonic overlords. Dat Massremoval, dem killspeals, dat synergy, dem sacrifes. Gone buy the expansion just for this deck. Also this and the zombie deck in 2vs2.

IMAGE(http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/8169/gims.jpg)

Absurdity, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.

Seems quite obvious how to run this one.  Run all the removal and all the quality big demons.  With little enchantment removal 3 Heartless Summoning will have a big impact acting as pseudo ramp ensuring all those high CMC demons are within grasp.  Sorted.

Looks interesting, lots of sacrifice effects, looks fun to build around. Looking forward to giving it a shot! Heartless Summoning will make this deck throw out insane beasts early, that will be extremely hard to overcome for some decks. The mirror or vs DW will be funny, especially if each player hits a Grave Pact.

it looks pretty nice

yay for Heartless Summoning

also lot of removals!!! i'm going to like this ))

ah and /envy for Sean's Ashiok avatar :P

Slodice you forgot

Most of the little creatures have 1 toughness and cannot be played after you cast heartless summoning.  Then again, if you also have grave pact out, all of your little creatures are edicts. 

Promise of power is awesome, its a shame there is no mana accelleration other than the heartless summonings.

Not quite what I was expecting but wow, sure does have a lot of sweepers.  It will be interesting to build this deck to the best of it's ability!

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

Steam Profile Name: Nebula

Seems very interesting and different from anything I have played before but I'm more excited about D&B.

Eye kneed teh speelchequer bach!

This deck builds itself.

This includes all of the demons except the crappy ones: Lord of the pit, hellcarver and halo hunter are out.  I also included all the removal minus one hideous end and all the utility except tribute to cruelty.

I might cut some pestilence demons based on playtesting, but even if you miss heartless summoning you have plenty of stall to hit your land drops.

Halo Hunter is a crappy demon? it has intimidate and it kill angels  for only 5 mana :S

Oh, it SAYS it can kill Angels... But it really can't - at least not the important ones. Baneslayer Angel has protection from Demons and Angelic Overseer almost always has hexproof and indestructible. Avacyn herself laughs at it as well, so in practice that ability is almost never relevant. He's always kind of been the butt of a joke there, came out in the same set as Baneslayer Angel and all that.

He's not bad with 6 power of Intimidate, but there's probably better options for this deck anyway.

Hi! I run a YouTube channel at YouTube.com/user/NemosChannel. I upload Duels of the Planeswalkers gameplay, deckbuilds, and even Tier List videos. It's the best place for strategy and silly humor. Drop by and see!

Forgot about that demon and dragon protection from Baneslayer

N00BGamerIsN00b wrote:

Halo Hunter is a crappy demon? it has intimidate and it kill angels  for only 5 mana :S

Doesn't play well with Heartless Summoning.

Atleast it's strictly better than Renegade Demon

Steam Name: Yertle{U}The{B}Turtle

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/YertleTheMFnTurtle

New Forum: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

@ HenWen

I don't think you put in 2 grave pacts if you only have 13 creatures..

Anyway, this deck seems, interesting.. but not what I was expecting. Hope it runs smoother then it looks. I really wish we would have got murders instead of the conditional kill spells.. grrrrrr.

So this is the black equivilent of CotMD. CotMD has consistent ramp but little creature control, LoD has consistent creature control but little ramp.

Splattercat wrote:

N00BGamerIsN00b wrote:

With Heartless Summoning its a 5/2 intimidate that you can drop on turn 3 for BBB. I'm probably not running it but still it does play well with Heartless Summoning

Steam Name: Yertle{U}The{B}Turtle

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/YertleTheMFnTurtle

New Forum: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

I... really like it. Looks very demonic indeed.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

YertleTheTurtle wrote:

Splattercat wrote:

N00BGamerIsN00b wrote:

With Heartless Summoning its a 5/2 intimidate that you can drop on turn 3 for BBB. I'm probably not running it but still it does play well with Heartless Summoning

Until you realize that you want more than one Heartless Summoning so you can get Pesilence Demon. At which point, not only are you paying 3 for a 4/1, but it dies the moment you use Pestilence Demon how it was intended.

If I want a turn 3 Demon, I would probably want a Bloodgift Demon (or maybe a Shadowborn Demon, depending on how the game is going).

EDIT: Also though.... Why 2x Lord of the Pit? That's like putting 2x Force of Nature in a deck with Terra Stomper.
Definite diminishing returns there with Heartless Summoning. I don't want to sacrifice a creature or take 7 damage to keep a 5/5, even if it does Fly and Trample.

You can run Festering Goblin with Heartless Summoning. The creature has to enter the battlefield for it to die first, the ability still goes off. It's basically paying one black for a creature to get -1/-1 which isn't that bad.

Actually, on second thought, with no way to get rid of Enchantments you probably don't want more than one Heartless Summoning in play...

The meta will be very changed after the expansion. There will be 2 decks packed with heavy mass removal and other removal options.

About this deck, I liked it, but it kind looks like my new slow DW build. One of them will have to be changed.  

Yeah, that's kind of the point. Even the Heartless Summoning deck I submitted only ran three largely because you didn't want doubles. I'd find the list for you, but the search function is absolutely useless currently. Maybe I'll come post it when I can find my own bloody thread.

EDIT: Well, checking my own activity history won't dig up the 2014 thread because I didn't start it, but I did start the 2015 thread, so I could find it.

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/3700051

Note that when we did the modded deck, there are dual lands to offset the three colour craziness, because we have realistic expectations on how three colour mana bases work:

http://www.mtgdeckbuilder.net/Decks/ViewDeck/658133

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

HenWen wrote:

This deck builds itself.

This includes all of the demons except the crappy ones: Lord of the pit, hellcarver and halo hunter are out.  I also included all the removal minus one hideous end and all the utility except tribute to cruelty.

I might cut some pestilence demons based on playtesting, but even if you miss heartless summoning you have plenty of stall to hit your land drops.

Pretty much. Don't think Grave Pact or Shadowborn demon make the final cut though. You simply have too few creature for Grave Pact (and lots of other removal) and you don't wan't to be sacrificing big demons to Shadowborn, especially since all your other demons are pretty much better once they're in play.

I think my final cut will look something like:

1 x Innocent Blood

2 x Doom Blade

4 x Diabolic Edict

1 x Infernal Tutor

3 x Heartless Summoning

2 x Hideous End

2 x Tendrils of Corruption

2 x Damnation

1 x Mutilate

1 x No Mercy

2 x Promise of Power

1 x Diabolic Servitude

3 x Bloodgift Demon

1 x Harvester of Souls

1 x Reaper from the Abyss

1 x Corrupt

1 x Lord of the Void

1 x Rune-Scarred Demon

2 x Reiver Demon

2 x Pestilence Demon

1 x Demon of Death's Gate

25 x Swamps

Ah, Lord of the Pit brings back memories from Alpha/Beta. Too bad at the time all the best creatures had huge drawbacks (Force of Nature, Demonic Horde, etc.), while all the best spells were just ridiculous (Ancestral Recall, Black Lotus).

lol...bingo (to dragon puncher). although, i think about removing no mercy for one swamp. I need to test it, but I have a feeling with this deck, that I will strugle with life, and that I couldn't efford any creature touching me late game anyway.

bentz wrote:

lol...bingo (to dragon puncher). although, i think about removing no mercy for one swamp. I need to test it, but I have a feeling with this deck, that I will strugle with life, and that I couldn't efford any creature touching me late game anyway.

With all the selfhurting effects and only 2 x Tendrils of corruption and 1 x Corrupt to keep your life up, I think you're right that you'll definately not be swimming in life when playing this deck. I don't think that makes No Mercy a lot worse though, having No Mercy on the field will either keep your opponent from attacking to save his creatures (meaning less life loss for you) or make sure he only gets one attack through with the creatures you don't have removal for. No Mercy isn't the greatest card in the deck, but I don't see a lot of alternatives, the only card that seems interesting, but isn't in the deck is Harrowing Journey.

26 swamps definately seems like overkill to me. And Infernal tutor kinda works like a pretty good way get an extra swamp if you need it.

Okay, the new forum is officially awesome. I can post FROM THE FUTURE!

a moment from now (new)

Dodge and Burn and Lord of Darkness together in 2HG would house so many removals.

BTW, thanks Sean.

25 Swamp

--

3 Bloodgift Demon

1 Harvester of Souls

1 Reaper from the Abyss

1 Lord of the Void

1 Rune-Scarred Demon

1 Pestilence Demon

2 Reiver Demon

--

1 Innocent Blood

4 Diabolic Edict

2 Doom Blade

3 Heartless Summoning

1 Infernal Tutor

3 Screams from Within

2 Damnation

1 Diabolic Servitude

1 Mutilate

1 No Mercy

2 Tendrils of Corruption

1 Harrowing Journey

2 Promise of Power

1 Corrupt

--

Seems pretty insane and a lot of fun. Don't think you ever want to have 2 Heartless Summonings on the field and the deck shouldn't 100% rely on them (this means not playing every single 8/9-drop). No Mercy + Pestilence Demon is also kind of stupid anti-combo.

Not a fan of seeing another deck with Gravepact, did we honestly need that ridiculous card? I hate it so much in DW, and now Lords of Darkness has two copies.

Sign In to post comments