1037 posts / 0 new
Last post

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

At first glance....thank you!

Ipad - neosilk76 
Steam - neosilk 

Tired of the new forum format, and all it's problems?  Try a new forum!

http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Huh, this looks interesting.

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

Steam Profile Name: Nebula

Holy crap holy crap holy crap holy crap holy crap thanks Sean holy crap holy crap

It's about time we got a new control deck.  And this one doesn't even look that bad.

P.S. WHERE IS Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind?!?!

Holy batman, that's gonna make some people cry. Creatureless build GO!

Multiple copies of  Volcanic FalloutChar, and Remand, all in the same deck? It's gonna be tough for this deck not to make an impact.

GrovyleXShinyCelebi wrote:

It's about time we got a new control deck.  And this one doesn't even look that bad.

P.S. WHERE IS Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind?!?!

Not sure! It seems like he'd be a good fit, but including him would've made the deck closer to Magic 2013's "Mindstorms" deck and I could see wanting to differentiate the two decks from each other. That's just a guess on my part, of course.

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

This deck looks awesome and very anti-agro, more than 10 counters and like 8 board sweepers i think this deck will  obliterate AG, DW and MM but it will have a hard time vs dragons or CoMD is a creature gets on board....

Oh hypocrisy! A World full of n00bs indeed!

Well, hm. It looks like an improvement and they increased the draw and consistently of UR like we kept asking, although there's also a bunch of stuff we keep saying "stop using" like Invoke the Firemind, and no Overload spells for some bizarre reason. It looks good though, even if some of the choices are still questionable.

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

What is with the char?

2 + 2 = fish

This deck will be a real pain in the ass to cut down to 60 i really can't wait for WingspanTT videos for this deck, he loves UR decks so he must be really happy...

Oh hypocrisy! A World full of n00bs indeed!

Looks like someone finally learned how to build a U/R deck.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

I thnk it is a good card actually

Alright, so. Initial excitement is still peaked due to this deck looking AWESOME, but I'll contain it while I do my predictions.

Predictions

• Access to 19x draw spells will allow for constant access to answers to threats, some of said spells being answers in and of themselves but with a cantrip. However, a more realistic number would be 17x or 15x due to people not running Invoke the Firemind and/or Peek.
  • 13x mass-damage sweepers available for near-constant board control. However, many of these hurt players as well so they may end up being rather dangerous. Paired together with the consistent draw power, the deck is more than prepared to stall for a long time.
  •  15x direct burn spells, 5 of which are X-cost for potential late-game finishers to the face or to take down big targets. These should also allow for health advantage for less danger from many of the sweepers, allowing the deck to easily keep ahead in the damage race. Not to mention the deck's ability to remove blockers for Kiln and Dragonauts to get through.
  • 3x Pongify. A one-cost blue insta-kill that creates a creature that's easily within burn range. Auto-include.
  • 13x counterspells, only three of which are situational. Mamy are quite cheap and not color heavy.
  • All of this stuff together appears to make a serious powerhouse. Top 5 if not top 3 material from first looks in my opinion.
  • Main problem I can see is the deck not getting its second Mountain drop. Getting a second mountain will be absolutely necessary for sweepers to stay alive.
  • The deck looks like it will play more like a Chandra deck that subbed in some Blue for draw: burn to the face for the win generally.

char may be an okay card, but it clearly loses when compared to so many other red spells

lightning bolt, searing spear, and flame slash for starters

2 + 2 = fish

When you first look at it, it's like "Oh look!  A deck that does burn better than the burn deck!"  Then you realize it only has 8 creatures main deck, 2 of which don't come out till late game.  The unlocks have 2 more Dragonauts, A couple of walls, a 7cmc Djinn, and 2 Whelks between unlocks and promos.

With 9 Sweepers plus 3 Breaking Points, this might work though.  Unfortunately the majority of the sweepers only do 2 or 3 damage.  You're basically resigned to either burning out wins quickly or stumbling upon 2 or 3 sweepers to keep you alive long enough to pull out a Devil or Djinn.  Late game doesn't look very promising with this deck, so I probably won't even run the Djinn and I'm sceptical of the Devils too.

Looks like it'll be a lot of fun though.  It should own the current top 3 unless it just gets a bad hand.

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

This deck looks like a ton of fun, definitely want to keep this as a low creature count build. This is where Reins of Power would be more useful, since this deck won't expect to have many, or any, creatures on the battlefield, though I'm still not sure it will be all that and a bucket of wings.

Looks fun. I'll be happy to play it.

I love it. This was exactly what I was hoping: a low amount of creatures, instead having to focus mostly on your non-creature cards to win it.

I hope Mr. P updates his deckbuilder soon. I want to fiddle with this deck so bad.

Hoooollly crap!  I cannot believe they created a deck with this many board sweepers.  If the top 3 aggro decks are rock, then this is paper. 

Sweepers:

Felbatista and I tallied up the sweepers, and the 13 sweepers here are approximately equal to all the sweepers in all the decks in the original game.

A creatureless build is very, very exciting.  It may fail hard to CotMD. 

Another thing I noticed is this has sufficient X burn spells to act as finishers for a creatureless build.

[deck]

2 banefire

2 earthquake

2 invoke the firemind

1 volcanic geyser

[/deck]

I will say that invoke is perfect for a creatureless burn build.  I tried a semi-creatureless build of the 2013 deck, and it was very valuable.  If you play conservatively the game will frequently stall and you can make it to 10 mana.

With respect to peek, it is an auto include.  In the early game it will be a huge advantage - knowing when to use a sweeper or leave mana open for remand / etc. is key. 

The creatureless control build was obviously the first thing I noticed.  But I think you might be able to build a kiln fiend aggro deck too - I think an aggro version of this deck would be bonkers.  Think FW but with BETTER burn to the face, fewer double-edged swords, and several options to deal with threats your burn cannot handle, including remand and pongify.

One other thing really struck me about this decklist, at least compared to the original game decks.  It has very few unplayable cards, the only ones that strike me as week are thoughtbind and sulfurous blast.  I think there will be a wide variety of ways to build this deck. 

Solid Izzet pile. Will wipe the floor with current A and S-Tier decks (according to the official tier lists). Will struggle vs some B-Tier decks and do generally well against C-Tier.

WiNGSPANTT is the 4th best commentator on YouTube and editor in chief of Top Tier Tactics.

I wouldn't call breaking point a sweeper. I see it more like a Lava Axe on crack, having the drawback of giving your opponent the choice. Since Lava Axe+1 is the effect your opponent will take 9/10 times (unless you play this when your opponent only controls a Black Cat or something, but that's a whole different story).

I only consider earthquake and starstorm to be true sweepers.  For me, 2 or 3 damage is not a sweeper past turn 6, and breaking point is not reliable enough.

2 + 2 = fish

Looks solid against the Aggro-decks and bad against hight T creatures. Could really have gone without some of the spells we get every duels.

Absurdity, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.

I think this pretty much tackles the B3 without a hideously bad draw, but in turn gets stomped by CMD (too much lifegain/too many big creatures) and GL (pretty much everything that gets enchanted is a horrible monstrous threat, barring Reins of Power or Pongify.)

Also, a lot of the spells are self-burn, with no lifegain or ways to prevent it. Hence why the two above lifegaining decks are set to smash it. Still better than previous attempts though.

EDIT: Weird, this showed as edited the moment I posted it. Another error of the new forum. Sigh.

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

So

1. tons of self burn

2. no enough creatures

3. bunch of sweepers that also damage you

Anyone up for suicidal burn to the face?

2 + 2 = fish

I'm really excited about this deck.  Looks really interesting to me.

Wonder how this and Dimir will do in 2hg or this and the new black deck.

Absurdity, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.

For me, the whole expansion purchase will be based on whether or not I like the demonic deck.  The ones so far all look cool, but they also look like things I wouldn't want to actually use (minus the jitte).

2 + 2 = fish

So the big 3 will still run over this deck due to the amount of creatures they can board. The only chance this deck has in the first 4 turns is to have a board sweeper in starting hand or draw one with the right mana base to play it. 

I can see this being a fast kiln fiend rush deck. Burning away early blockers to get in fast damage. 

Predicted problems

• No second mountain will deny the deck its sweepers. While the deck has a lot of draw to circumvent this, every turn counts in this metagame.
  • Not a single bounce card means that burn is the only option, which in turn means that high toughness creatures are a huge brick wall. An out of control Champion of the Parish as well as CotMD in general come to mind
  • Direct burn to the face or bust appears to be the only option here. Kiln Fiend is too fragile to the decks own sweepers. Wee Dragonauts may be worth it, but I'm unsure if the drop in tempo will be worth it.
  • If the deck begins topdecking (though I doubt this will happen much with all of its draw), I don't think it will last long.

^^ Plus 1.

2 + 2 = fish

mjack33 wrote:

I only consider earthquake and starstorm to be true sweepers.  For me, 2 or 3 damage is not a sweeper past turn 6, and breaking point is not reliable enough.

2 and 3 damage is enough to take out most armies built up by Zombies, Illusions, and Humans.  Will also wipe out most sliver groups in the early game, even with 1 or 2 of the +1/+1 slivers in play.  Also takes care of all those smaller creatures in Dragons so Devour becomes pointless.  This deck will still have problems with Dragons though, unless it just burns the opponent down fast enough, which, with all the card draw is possible.

Breaking point gets better the longer the game goes when the opponent is at 10 or less life. 

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

Is it just me, or this deck going to be the first deck weak against Hunter's Strength?

2 + 2 = fish

looks real good. Thankfully an answer to the aggro decks running rampant for the past 3 months. Wish this was part of the original 10!

also I'm missing prophetic bolt already

Crap, I just realized that this completely screws over the exalted deck in 2HG.

2 + 2 = fish

mjack33 wrote:

Is it just me, or this deck going to be the first deck weak against Hunter's Strength?

HS vs. DB will be a battle of exchanged blows to the face. While I wouldn't say it will be weak against HS, I will say it'll be a generally even matchup with maybe a small advantage for HS.

mjack33 wrote:

Crap, I just realized that this completely screws over the exalted deck in 2HG.

What deck won't screw over HoC?

mjack33 wrote:

char may be an okay card, but it clearly loses when compared to so many other red spells

lightning bolt, searing spear, and flame slash for starters

You're overlooking one important point here. Very, very few 4 dmg burn spells can target either creatures or players unconditionally and cost below 4 cmc (Psionic Blast, Flame Javelin, and of course, [c]Char.) It's no coincidence that all these spells saw heavy constructed play at one time or another.

So for those of you who did not originally play with Remand, let me explain to you why this is one of the best cards in the deck.

1. You can establish tempo with it; if you delay a ramp spell, you've slowed down their deck by a whole turn or more.
  2. You can make spells useful only during certain times worthless. Let's say you're playing 2HG and your partner has a 5/5 Flier, and the opponents have a 2/2 Flying blocker and Searing Spear. You can delay the Spear, and know better than to attack into the 2/2 Flier unless you have another answer for it or Spear.
  3. You can counter your own or a partner's spell that targeted some of MM's Illusions; they were still targeted and die, but the original caster gets to keep their spell, and you draw a card.
  4. Winning a counter war decisively; if an opponent counters a spell of yours, Remand your own spell. It goes back to your hand, their counter is wasted, and you draw a card.
  5. Aim it at anything just to draw a card - sometimes you're only one card away from victory.
  6. Remand your own spell just to trigger Kiln Fiend, Wee Dragonauts, or Charmbreaker Devils again.
  7. Do silly, silly things with Djinn Illuminatus, a.k.a. "I Win Djinn."
  8. Counter a spell that's a copy of another spell. Since the copy can't go back to a hand, it's permanently countered.
  9. Counter a spell which is being played via Flashback; exiling it will be part of the cost, and it won't be able to go back to their hand. Again, permanently countered.

There's probably even more uses, especially with certain 2HG combos. Being fair, there's also some situations it's not cut out for; using it against Path to Exile when the opponent still has three untapped Plains is probably not going to help much unless they really need that three mana elsewhere at the moment. But you have other counters for that. Remand is just so unique in its applications that I felt it had to be better explained though. The card is versatile enough that you should always be running all four copies - it can't stop everything, but it's incredible for its cost.

Sign In to post comments