Magic 2014 "Sword of the Samurai" Decklist & Strategies

630 posts / 0 new
Last post

It seems like this deck is most powerful when equipped creatures are connecting with the enemy planeswalker, and bushido certainly helps achieve that end.

Can anyone tell me why the system auto-assigned my social security number to my account name?

This deck for using in 2HG will have a completely different build. It will be a real pain to change all those cards when swiching to 1vs1 and 2HG. Most of times my builds in 1vs1 and 2HG are only 2-5 cards different.

GodOfAtheism wrote:

Nope. I said it'd probably be alright in 2HG and so it was. Although I did sell short its 1 vs. 1 performance, I'm told.

If you recall, the first bunch of pages were about how the deck was complete garbage and "Why is Wand of the Elements there? It's useless in this deck!" which, miraculously, became a staple in many/most decks.

And actually, "everyone" wasn't what I was going for since obviously I didn't feel that way either (I didn't say itwould be good or bad, just that you couldn't tell for sure until you're playing it in DotP's current meta). I'mma edit that actually, It's rare that I accidentally use the word "everyone".

Splattercat wrote:

Gegliosch wrote:

We know every decklist, so why shouldn't me make judgements?

Well, being a history buff, because Mindstorms and how everyone* the vast majority thought they knew how it was going to work before playing it in the game turned out to be completely and utterly wrong. 

*Pointed out to/by me below, obviously I can't say everyone felt that way if I myself (and of course others) thought differently.

I guess not many pre-release suggestions are 100% how people end up playing the decks. Actually not even my current builds are 100% final. However, the general playstyle is usually pretty obvious and the ultimate difference between my first impressions build and the final version tends to be a handful of cards competing for a similar task and tweeking some numbers (lands, curve). The most important factor for unexpected changes used to be the auto-land-distribution and that doesn't even have anything to do with card evaluation.

Well, for sure. And I'm almost certain that we've kinda learned from then. I know a lot of decks that look bad don't go on for as many pages as they used to about how bad the deck is before it's released anymore (give or take 2013's Dimir deck...) .

Still, I feel it's an important precedent to remember. As bad (or good, re: Ancient Depths) as a deck may look on paper you never really know how it will do until it's being played in the game against DotP's existing meta.

I mean I'm not going to lie. I blew it on Firewave almost entirely. However for the most part, my pre-release deck speculations have been rather on the accurate side.

D&B is at the very least going to shake up the meta. Creature/no creature is going to depend on meta/platform. Best U/R deck they've offered yet. I would have done it a little differently, but definitely acceptable. Pairs well with any of the decks with a lot of 3+ toughness goons.

LoD looks like Suicide Black could be made to work. But that's more something you usually pull against control decks, so its value is questionable in this field. Possibly a more exciting/interesting build though. I think Heartless Summoning/control has more chops, though. The removal package is pretty good and there's a little lick of lifegain to survive that extra turn or two to draw one. Partners well with D&B since both can be run with few creatures and most of LoD's critters survive D&B's wipes.

HoC...eh. Let's just say I think of it as Hell of Chumpions. Three colours with meagre mana fixing might work well for other people, but I know if I were to play it it would screw me about 40% of the time. Even then I play ike 85% or more 2HG, so Exalted is a horrible theme for me. This just isn't for me, but I know especially going first in 1 vs. 1 it will be able to keep some decks on the back foot all game.

SM isn't going to be as explosive as traditional Elf decks, without the mana dorks. It's going to effectively be Elf midrange, although there's still a pressure to end the game earlyish. Turn six or seven is the longest you want things going, AND you want a mess of Elves on the board. One of the best things you have going for you is that you have so many "must kill" targets that most decks can't keep up with them all. With a good draw, you'll also have a giant life cushion against other aggro decks to make up for your own lacking removal. Will pair well with a number of decks; anything that can stop sweepers or keep bringing pinpoint removal will do.

SotS (lol) is going to be very swingy, depending on what equips it gets. The non-Legendary Samurai are a serviceable if not very interesting lot, and there's a mess of equipment finders. I think this is going to be a mesh of Wielding Steel and Beknighted, except without all the colour protection (just some of it, in Sword form) all over the place. On one hand, the protection is transferrable, but on the other, it can be destroyed at the source. Unanswered Jitte is probably going to win every time it happens. Creatures are small enough that without an effect like Konda's Banner being active, it won't be hard to let them through to avoid trigging Bushido. If it keeps its removal largely for evasive critters, then a combination of Call to Glory and just flat out hanging back means the deck should be able to stall until it finds the equips it needs to dominate. Pairs well with anything that won't kill its dudes.

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

You never know what the meta will look like, but you can make a pretty good assessment of the individual matchups. Ancient Depths looked so awesome because we were used to horrible 09 decks and it was among the first 2 decks they revealed. However, knowing the competing decks you can say how well a deck will perform pretty accurately. When Rogue Gallery was released the decks were known and it was quite easy to see how bad it was equipped to deal with early aggression and lategame stuff - a combination that leaves very little room for success.

I remembered a card I created during kamigawa block for a make your card contest. It was more or less this way. The goal I set to myself was to emulate the character from the book "Musashi"; a unstoppable, ruthless and battle driven samurai.

Musashi, Battle Hardened Warrior

3/3

Legendary Human Samurai

Bushido , Provoke

Whenever a spell or ability target Musashi, change the target between all other possible targets.

Whenever Musashi dies, if other creature you control died this turn, return Musashi to the battlefield tapped.

[b][u]"Starter"[/u][/b]
A library for the [b]Samurai 2014[/b] deck ([i]Sword of the Samurai[/i])
[b]60[/b] Cards. [b]36[/b] nonlands (20 creatures, 16 spells). [b]24[/b] Lands (10 11; 3 other).

[b]Land[/b]
3x [c]Terramorphic Expanse[/c]
[b] cost [/b]
1x [c]Path to Exile[/c]
2x [c]Steelshaper's Gift[/c]
[b] cost [/b]
4x [c]Battle-Mad Ronin[/c]
1x [c]Hand of Honor[/c]
2x [c]Double Cleave[/c]
1x [c]Gift of Estates[/c]
4x [c]Lightning Helix[/c]
1x [c]Umezawa's Jitte[/c]
[b] cost [/b]
4x [c]Kitsune Blademaster[/c]
1x [c]Masako the Humorless[/c]
1x [c]Intimidation Bolt[/c]
1x [c]Oathkeeper, Takeno's Daisho[/c]
1x [c]Sword of Fire and Ice[/c]
1x [c]Sword of War and Peace[/c]
[b] cost [/b]
1x [c]Fumiko the Lowblood[/c]
2x [c]Indebted Samurai[/c]
1x [c]Nagao, Bound by Honor[/c]
[b] cost [/b]
1x [c]Balefire Liege[/c]
2x [c]Stonehewer Giant[/c]
1x [c]Zealous Conscripts[/c]
[b] cost [/b]
1x [c]Godo, Bandit Warlord[/c]
1x [c]Takeno, Samurai General[/c]
1x [c]Tatsumasa, the Dragon's Fang[/c]

i think ill start with something like this, sort of midrange, sadly not [c]call to glory[/c] that i really like, also not sure yet about what low cost samurai to chose, the bushido 2 looks ok as at worst they can trade with most 2-3 cmc drops but flying ones are also appealing. i can even cut the 6 cmc stuff (cept godo) and the conscrip and go more aggro oriented.
overall i like the deck, it should be quite resilent to aggro and overall i think is quite solid even if, due to its nature, it may suffer quite a bit from removals

9 Mountain

14 Plains

2 Terramorphic Expanse

--

1 Isamaru, Hound of Konda

3 Araba Mothrider (hopefully works better with the Swords)

1 Hand of Honor

4 Konda's Hatamoto

4 Kitsune Blademaster

1 Masako the Humorless

1 Fumiko the Lowblood

1 Nagao, Bound by Honor

1 Iizuka the Ruthless

2 Stonehewer Giant

1 Takeno, Samurai General

--

1 Path to Exile

2 Steelshaper's Gift

4 Lightning Helix

1 Umezawa's Jitte

1 Intimidation Bolt

1 Oathkeeper, Takeno's Daisho

1 Sword of Fire and Ice

1 Sword of War and Peace

3 Glory of Warfare

--

GodOfAtheism wrote:

I mean I'm not going to lie. I blew it on Firewave almost entirely. However for the most part, my pre-release deck speculations have been rather on the accurate side.

If I remember correctly, you said Firewave would be terrible.  I'm pretty sure you nailed it.  I know there are people that defend the deck, but it's more along the lines of "it's ok in 2hg", "it's not quite as bad as a root canal", "it's underrated, especially against bad players", or "it can murder the top 3 decks if it has an opening hand with a lot of burn and your opponents draw nothing but land (and also, by 'top 3', you exclusively mean Mind Maze, and by 'murder', you mean 'occasionally win by the skin of your teeth".  

I play Firewave, and I actually have an ok record with it now, but I'm not going to kid myself - the deck is everything it was predicted to be and its existence is a prime reason behind the conclusion that 2014 is worse than 2013 (not that I'm complaining about 2014; I like the game despite that it was a bold step backwards).

edit: somehow a smiley face showed up in my post above so I removed a parenthesis.  What the hell...

If any deck gets a great opening hand while the opponent has a poor hand, and get mana flooded. Of course you'll win! That logic applies for any deck .. It's like the MTG principle lol. Also, winning by the skin of your teeth isn't bad as you won the match in the end.

It took forever to make my FW and HS work. I normally played 2HG, but for the past few nights I played some1v1 with my decks. They actually work just fine in both. My FW stinks in a FFA with 4 people... 2HG is bittersweet to me. I like it because you get to team up with friends, and you use teamwork. I dislike it people tend hide behind one another until they set up. Normally i'm the one who is pulling all the weight...  Doing most if not ALL the damage some times in random 2HG... 

2014s burn deck is hard to run with. I agree that 2014s burn deck is nothing compared to 2013s. 2014s burn deck requires a lot of card synergy, and suicide to win. While 2013 was straight burn .

I had a pretty decent cut of it when I used several of the promos. Satisfying to run and won decentl often, but then this was still the first few weeks the game was out and I was probably playing dunderheads often as not.

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

@tre, honestly I don't think burn is that good in 4ffa period, unless you are able to get the other 3 people to focus on each other.  You don't have the cards to do more than 30ish damage reliably quickly.

2 + 2 = fish

Am I right in thinking this is the SotS thread or did I take a wrong turn?

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

So, has anyone tested jitte out yet.  Is it still beyond broken in this meta?

2 + 2 = fish

Bearing in mind this was against the AI, but I switched to SotS as soon as it was unlocked and breezed through the rest of the campaign and the revenge campaign, largely on the back of the Jitte. In the hands of one of the first strike guys, it's absolutely brutal. I never lost if Jitte hit the field, which, odd for a one-of, was about 75% of the time.

Does anyone have recommendations for 2HG?

z06kicks wrote:
Bearing in mind this was against the AI, but I switched to SotS as soon as it was unlocked and breezed through the rest of the campaign and the revenge campaign, largely on the back of the Jitte. In the hands of one of the first strike guys, it's absolutely brutal. I never lost if Jitte hit the field, which, odd for a one-of, was about 75% of the time.

That is not that odd with 4 tutors.  Also that is normally what happens in paper.  Jitte wins the game in a deck with a bunch of small dudes, although normally a deck is more built around it.

Have you used it at all vs humans?

Edit: by humans I mean players, but now I am curious about AG too.

2 + 2 = fish

The deck is surprisingly good, the equipments really help but not in an insanely OP way. I kicked out all the 1drops except for Isamaru, they really feel like a waste of a slot and Konda's Hatamoto/Kitsune Blademaster is usually enough to keep your opponent at a distance.

I put in 3 Glory of Warfare to force a little more interaction because otherwise you will just hit for 1-2 dmg every turn after your opponent decides not to block.

I'm currently running 25 lands because this deck is not an aggro deck that can do most of their stuff at 2-3 mana, you usually need 4-5 mana to get your equipment shenanigans going.

By the way, there are 4 Glory of Warfare in the actual deck, I don't know which card got kicked out or if Sean's list only contains 99 cards.

You are still going to run steelshaper's gift right?

Edit: Actually if it isn't too much trouble, can you list what you are using?  I am now very curious.

2 + 2 = fish

I updated my list on page 2, it's post #91

by 1drops I just meant the 1/1 Bushido guys

Prominence21 wrote:

9 Mountain

14 Plains

2 Terramorphic Expanse

--

1 Isamaru, Hound of Konda

3 Araba Mothrider (hopefully works better with the Swords)

1 Hand of Honor

4 Konda's Hatamoto

4 Kitsune Blademaster

1 Masako the Humorless

1 Fumiko the Lowblood

1 Nagao, Bound by Honor

1 Iizuka the Ruthless

2 Stonehewer Giant

1 Takeno, Samurai General

--

1 Path to Exile

2 Steelshaper's Gift

4 Lightning Helix

1 Umezawa's Jitte

1 Intimidation Bolt

1 Oathkeeper, Takeno's Daisho

1 Sword of Fire and Ice

1 Sword of War and Peace

3 Glory of Warfare

--

Looks good.  Have you tried out heartless hidetsugu or double cleave

2 + 2 = fish

This deck is working better than I expected - the creature base does not allow an early offense, but once you get your equipment they do fine. 

Bushido is a rather underwhelming mechanic, but it is effective on the defense while you spend time to tutor / play / equip your equipment.

Okay I just saw it Hidetsugu is not in the deck. Instead I have the 4th Glory of Warfare. Somebody confirm plz

So I've been grinding this deck out most of tonight and would like to add some observations I have made (afterwhich I will sleep because tired);

1. Battle-Mad Ronin is proving surprisingly effective at his job. I was considering cutting them as I unlocked more cards but the threat of a 3/3 each turn all but guarantees a little trickle of damage which can grow quite suddenly if he gets his hands on some equipment, such as...
  2. No-Dachi is easily holding its own against the likes of Sword of Fire and Ice and Sword of War and Peace. The +2 and First Strike is basically turning any Samurai who gets his hands on it its a very real problem for my opponent; do I take the 3+ damage to the face each turn or start losing creatures (and not even trading thanks to first strike). One and possibly both copies are looking to make my final cut.
  3. Call to Glory is awesome. I recall someway saying they were looking to cut them. For the love of everything don't do that. I have lost count of the number of times a carefully planned strike by my enemy has gone up in flames because that +1/+1 turned up at the right moment. The untap is just icing on the cake.
  4. Let's have a hand for Fumiko the Lowblood! Regardless of the elevation of her vitae that girl gets things done and gets them done fast! Also I only now saw that her Bushido X also counts attacking enemies. That was a nice surprise but I'm sure only to me.
  5. Glory of Warfare makes this deck. I don't care how many copies you are running, run more! Seriously it turns your guys into ubermensch. I am currently running three to ensure one turns up (preferably on turn 4).
  6. The Jitte is... well its the Jitte. Turns up, kills everything, wins games. Enough said.

Overall I'm having a blast with this thing! Now if only Opal-Eye and Sensei had turned up for the party

Welcome! I'm Garren and I'll be your designated villain for the evening.

I, Garren, will knock you all down!

I agree with everything there except for maybe call of glory.

2 + 2 = fish

Prominence21 wrote:

Okay I just saw it Hidetsugu is not in the deck. Instead I have the 4th Glory of Warfare. Somebody confirm plz

I have 4 Glories as well.

mjack33 wrote:

That is not that odd with 4 tutors.  Also that is normally what happens in paper.  Jitte wins the game in a deck with a bunch of small dudes, although normally a deck is more built around it.

Have you used it at all vs humans?

Edit: by humans I mean players, but now I am curious about AG too.

I unlock my cards the hard way so I only had a single Giant unlocked as far as tutors and only for a couple of the matches.

In retrospect, it probably showed up a bunch because I wouldn't mulligan an opening hand with the jitte in it, even if the lands were off.

Most of the time I play I'm taking care of my kids so I have to be able to pause frequently and for extended periods of time so very little/no PvP for me.

I did play a couple rounds vs. Revenge AG and did fairly well. First game I got the jitte on a Kitsune Blademaster and was able to constantly wipe everything they tried to play. Second game I was getting steamrolled and down to 3 life but managed to get in for 18 and win when they didn't care about blocking my little 1/1 with No-Dachi and Oathkeeper, Takeno's Daisho without realizing he was backed up by a Brute Force and a Double Cleave.

I was asked if I was willing to drop my preliminary deck list here. Figure why not. Anyone got any questions I'll field them in a few hours when I get back from sleeping.

x10 Mountain
x12 Plains
x2 Terramorphic Expanse

x1 Isamaru, Hound of Konda
x2 Steelshaper's Gift
x3 Araba Mothrider
x3 Battle-Mad Ronin
x1 Hand of Honor
x3 Konda's Hatamoto
x2 Call to Glory
x4 Lightning Helix
x2 No-Dachi
x1 Umezawa's Jitte
x4 Kitsune Blademaster
x1 Masako the Humorless
x1 Sword of Fire and Ice
x1 Sword of War and Peace
x1 Fumiko the Lowblood
x1 Nagao, Bound by Honor
x3 Glory of Warfare
x1 Iizuka the Ruthless
x1 Takeno, Samurai General

Why the 3 konda's hatamoto?

Edtt: Never mind, I see 4 leg. samurais. How are they performing for you though?

2 + 2 = fish

At worst he's a 2/3 blocker for 2 (which isn't bad by any stretch). At best he's a 2/4 with Vigilance (running 3/5 when blocked). He's a little more reliable than Battle-Mad Ronin (if I have to play defence) and a lot beefier than Devoted Retainer. Whats not to like?

Are you playing this as more control or more aggro?

2 + 2 = fish

Control in the conventional sense isn't really an option. I'd say for the most part I'm running the defence until such a point (either through equipment or Glory of War) that I can start bringing the hurt to the enemy. Its the reason I'm running both No-Dachi and all four Kitsune Blademaster - Bushido + First Strike is a winning combination. Perfect senario I get a defensive line of bodies down while an Araba Mothrider armed with a weapon harasses the enemy. Bonus points if that weapon is the Jitte.

I'll confirm that Hidetsugu is not in the deck, but he is in one of the challenge decks.

Also, having played vs this deck and with it.. it's fun, but the swords and Jitte don't make this deck unstoppable.. not by any means, especially not in 2hg. I do love the Jitte though, very fun to play with, but not nearly as scary as some folks made it out to be (in this deck).

About as good as a Samurai deck, except that it really should have had at least 2 copies of Samurai of the Pale Curtain.

So far I agree with Mastergear that No-Dachi is starting to look better and better the more I have it out on the field.  As he mentions, First Strike + Bushido make a great combo (not to mention the +2 +0).  I also really like the 3x Glory of Warfare, still not 100% sure if 4 is too much or not.

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

Steam Profile Name: Nebula

DroneOn wrote:

About as good as a Samurai deck, except that it really should have had at least 2 copies of Samurai of the Pale Curtain.

That would be cool and I would definetly run it if wizards had put it in but It's to much of a nonbo with too many of the cards in the deck for wotc to ever include it (Oathkeeper, Takeno's Daisho, Indebted Samurai, Tatsumasa, the Dragon's Fang, Yosei, The Morning Star, and Ryusei, The Falling Star)

Steam Name: Yertle{U}The{B}Turtle

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/YertleTheMFnTurtle

New Forum: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

YertleTheTurtle wrote:

DroneOn wrote:

That would be cool and I would definetly run it if wizards had put it in but It's to much of a nonbo with too many of the cards in the deck for wotc to ever include it (Oathkeeper, Takeno's Daisho, Indebted Samurai, Tatsumasa, the Dragon's Fang, Yosei, The Morning Star, and Ryusei, The Falling Star)

Those cards aren't auto-includes for every build, and Samurai of the Pale Curtain would level the playing field against Deadwalkers.

Remind me since I don't have the Expansion yet... Does the Samurai deck need the playing field leveled against Deadwalkers?

Sign In to post comments