Magic 2014 "Sword of the Samurai" Decklist & Strategies

630 posts / 0 new
Last post

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

This deck is a really good counter-aggro deck, as Bushido is designed to force combat and cause your enemy to fight your creatures in unfavorable situations.  I like how all the expansion decks seem to be designed to play defensively trump the aggro metagame.  With that said this deck lacks the power of, say, Hall of Champions, to win in a timely manner.

By the way, the promos look really fun.

My apologies for the broken autocards. They'll be fixed in time.

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

Thanks to god we have only 1 of each sword and 1 Jite....

Oh hypocrisy! A World full of n00bs indeed!

The promos are underwhelming, aside from what we already knew...

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

N00BGamerIsN00b wrote:

Thanks to god we have only 1 of each sword and 1 Jite....

You're welcome. ^_^

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

Really good promos make the deck look awesome, but did he really screw up the link on the last promo?

Edit: Never mind, just saw he posted he would fix it.

2 + 2 = fish

Ahhh it's nothing :P

Oh hypocrisy! A World full of n00bs indeed!

So if I activate hidetsugu in 2hg that's an instant tie right?

Not quite, since it rounds down. You could stage it so that your life total is uneven while the opposing team has an even total you will net an interesting victory. Have fun with that little bit.

*Sigh* a lot of these newer decks revolve around small creatures that requires a lot of synergy or equipment to become effective. The new D&B has plenty of options that allow it wipe all these creatures away with one spell once they're all on the field. I believe many decks will become obsolete when faced against D&B. In 2HG we will probably see D&B and some other U deck, MM or MotD. Especially in ranked matches... I remember 2013's dreaded CW MS combo... 

Me approves!!!";)

GOD TIER...";(
"Dpad Fighter Forever"

The promos are interesting, especially the duo of spirits that can work together to make a devastating finisher if you were to get that far in the game and be able to play them both.

Crazy how the swords are teh first 2 promos and jitte the last one, which would have meant you get a sudden powerful power boost then need to wait for awhile for the biggest boost if the deck was around at teh start of the promos.

Heartless Hidetsugu seems interesting and I wonder if he will be worth it since he could be a neat finisher type creature, tapping to half the life then swarming in with your previously defensive Samurai yet he would be weaker the longer the game goes on and is also dangerous for you but pinging the face could still be useful.

Eye kneed teh speelchequer bach!

hidestsugu may make things a lot more interesting, but I still say jitte will be biggest game changer here

2 + 2 = fish

ender4449 wrote:

Not quite, since it rounds down. You could stage it so that your life total is uneven while the opposing team has an even total you will net an interesting victory. Have fun with that little bit.

are you sure it doens't activate for one player and then takes half the the end result when it activates for the other player, so they only have quarter of their starting life? I thought about that after I posted, I guess I'll have to see unless anyone knows off hand?

Heartless Hidetsugu only deals damage once. You can tell because it only says "deals damage" once.

To *each player* however. Each person and their partner are still separate players, despite sharing a team.

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

Yeah but it should be at the same time so it would have to be the same damage to both at the same time, slamming both player's at once and damaging down on the health in one go (which I assume would take you down to 2 from 30).

Basically it should act lke firewave in damage where all life goes down in one go if I am not mistaken, since the amount of damage it records that should be done should all be done in one go and as such both players in the team would be recorded with 30 life once.

At least this is the way I believe it should work.

WrightJustice wrote:

Yeah but it should be at the same time so it would have to be the same damage to both at the same time, slamming both player's at once and damaging down on the health in one go (which I assume would take you down to 2 from 30).

Yes. The life total of both members of the 2HG team is 30. Half of 30 is 15, there's no rounding. Each player takes 15 damage and the game ends.

That sucks if it works that way.

2 + 2 = fish

2HG: you are at 1 life, opps are at 80. use it, and you win

bentz wrote:

2HG: you are at 1 life, opps are at 80. use it, and you win

Doesn't matter how much life you have, as long as you're at an uneven life total and your opponents are at even life total, you'll win the game. Of course even if they're at an uneven total you could just Lightning Helix them afterwards for the win.

Edit: Lol or just helix them before to get they're life down to an even number I guess :p

Splattercat wrote:

WrightJustice wrote:

Yes. The life total of both members of the 2HG team is 30. Half of 30 is 15, there's no rounding. Each player takes 15 damage and the game ends.

Oh yeah that makes sense, for some reason I had it in my mind that it was saying it wouldn't let you do odd damage so it would round you down to an even number instead of rounding down decimal results.

Brain fart asside, that seems rather crazy if you can pull it off.

Doesn't look very promising to me. The creatures are weaker than most other decks', even when they trigger bushido. The only chance to survive are combat tricks and equipment cards and the latter are very susceptible to instant removal.

Not very impressed with promos for this deck, excluding the swords and glory of warfare.

3 creatures with cmc 8+ WTF

Steam Name: Yertle{U}The{B}Turtle

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/YertleTheMFnTurtle

New Forum: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Gegliosch wrote:

Doesn't look very promising to me. The creatures are weaker than most other decks', even when they trigger bushido. The only chance to survive are combat tricks and equipment cards and the latter are very susceptible to instant removal.

I think the best course of action with this deck is just to get swords/jitte down and then try to abuse the damage dealing effects with stuff like Double Cleave, Iizuka the ruthless or Godo, Bandit Warlord. Not a great plan, but it's the best (or at least the most unique) this deck has going for it. 

Dragon_puncher wrote:

Gegliosch wrote:

I think the best course of action with this deck is just to get swords/jitte down and then try to abuse the damage dealing effects with stuff like Double Cleave, Iizuka the ruthless or Godo, Bandit Warlord. Not a great plan, but it's the best (or at least the most unique) this deck has going for it.

I don't think that plan will work right. You will empty your hand very fast. I think it is better just to wait for an equipment, a tutor or a pump spell. Wait... I don't think I will have to wait too much because there are many options to convert your army of blockers into attackers. And different than creatures, artifacts and enchantments are very hard to remove in this version.

I say wait until next wednesday to make judgments.  This might actually make a good combo and/or aggro deck (look at all the awesome one and two drops), and you don't know what problems the other new ones will have. 

2 + 2 = fish

This deck gets it's equipment out and/or it gets a bunch of dudes out in an aggro variant, or it loses.  5 tutors for equipment (let us be honest you are grabbing something long and pointy of the sword or jitte variety) and at leasts 10 good one drops means this is reliable though.  I say the deck will do really well.

2 + 2 = fish

True_Believer_02 wrote:

Dragon_puncher wrote:

Gegliosch wrote:

I don't think that plan will work right. You will empty your hand very fast. I think it is better just to wait for an equipment, a tutor or a pump spell. Wait... I don't think I will have to wait too much because there are many options to convert your army of blockers into attackers. And different than creatures, artifacts and enchantments are very hard to remove in this version.

Not even sure what this means..

Anyways, here's my preliminary Samurai build. It doesn't look like a great deck, but if you get to roll with some of the equipment especially jitte it could be very strong. It also helps that there isn't a lot of 60 builds right now with artifact removal. Deck might need 24 lands, but testing out with 23 at first.

It means it is probably better to have more permanents. I see the value of double cleave, for example, it can win a game for you if it connect just one time, but Call to Glory certainly lost some value.

True_Believer_02 wrote:

It means it is probably better to have more permanents. I see the value of double cleave, for example, it can win a game for you if it connect just one time, but Call to Glory certainly lost some value.

Well, this has 10 nonpernament cards, half of which are removal, it's not exactly spells galore. Problem is that most of the creatures in the deck suck big time.. 

You should add the hound of kondo to your deck.  The thing is absurd for when it comes out if you go first and use it.  When combined with your early equipemnt/searchers, the thing is a beast.

2 + 2 = fish

mjack33 wrote:

You should add the hound of kondo to your deck.  The thing is absurd for when it comes out if you go first and use it.  When combined with your early equipemnt/searchers, the thing is a beast.

It's just a 2/2 for one. A great card if you're playing aggro for sure, but this deck isn't really good enough to try and play aggro with the big boys + Devoted Retainer has more synergy in the deck and will therefore be a better topdeck most of the time.

It is a decent one drop in a deck that wants to put an equipment on something turn 3 or 4.  The other decent one drops are two tutors, 4 1/1 bushido 1, and some removal.  It is worth running on this basis alone.  The card loses synergy with only 2 of your non creatures, and 5 of your creatures.  3 of those creatures, I don't even consider that good anyway.  I don't see that being a reason not to run it.

2 + 2 = fish

I agree with jack here.  I am giong with the hound as well.  A 2/2 for 1 is good for this deck when it wants to equip something nice and go at it.  A 2/2 gives you more advantage than 1/1 with bushido 1 imo.  I'm not worried about the couple synergistic cards being a reason as to not use him.

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

Steam Profile Name: Nebula

We know every decklist, so why shouldn't me make judgements? The deck has plenty of 1-2-Drops, but they're really not that impressive. You need equipment and combat tricks to even use their bushido, because nobody even cares about a bunch of 1 power creatures swinging in.

The deck looks super weak to removal and I don't really see a major strong point to compensate. Equipment seems to be the main win condition and either you succeed in getting an equipped creature through or you're doomed. Double strike may have good synergies with that strategy, but I prefer a good number of other combat tricks and removal instead. It only helps when you're already hitting them with equipment, in which case you're probably in a good position anyway. It does very little when things go wrong.

The deck's not terrible, but I don't see it compete with the top 10.

How does this deck look weak to removal?

It's centered around taking a crappy creature (anyone will do), attaching an op equipment then bashing in. If they remove your creature just play another one. The deck certaintly has it's weaknesses (it's slow, has a lot of ackward draws that don't have access to any equipment, only has 1 path to exile) but being weak to removal  is not one of them.

Jitte doesn't even need to connect with a player to be powerful.

Steam Name: Yertle{U}The{B}Turtle

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/YertleTheMFnTurtle

New Forum: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Because everyone runs 3 torch fiend (not really).  The deck has too many artifacts to be weak to removal.  The best artifact removal in the game right now is oblivion ring.

2 + 2 = fish

Gegliosch wrote:

We know every decklist, so why shouldn't me make judgements? The deck has plenty of 1-2-Drops, but they're really not that impressive. You need equipment and combat tricks to even use their bushido, because nobody even cares about a bunch of 1 power creatures swinging in.

The deck looks super weak to removal and I don't really see a major strong point to compensate. Equipment seems to be the main win condition and either you succeed in getting an equipped creature through or you're doomed. Double strike may have good synergies with that strategy, but I prefer a good number of other combat tricks and removal instead. It only helps when you're already hitting them with equipment, in which case you're probably in a good position anyway. It does very little when things go wrong.

The deck's not terrible, but I don't see it compete with the top 10.

I don't think a single hit with any of the swords or the Jitte is enough to put you in a good position, the equipment is powerfull no doubt, but won't take over the game on their own. When you start adding double strike though, a single hit can really change the game in your favor.

I do agree that the deck is very weak to removal though. Since you're going to be telegraffing heavily with your equipment most of the time (like using a turn 1 Steelshaper's gift), most decks will be killing your creatures in respons to you trying to equip something to them. 

For this reason, I also started contemplating using more creatures in the build. Like going +1 Isamaru, Hound of Konda and +1 Balefire liege, -2 Glory of Warfare, in my build posted above. I don't paticulary love any of them here, but they could be important just to keep the creature count up.