Magic 2014 "Hall of Champions" Decklist & Strategies

542 posts / 0 new
Last post

That's awesome.  So you decided to go with guardians? I didn't realize that, and I retract even my joking recommendation for additional sledges.  If you are running a more defensive build the sledge definitely loses some appeal.  In my build, every creature is a potential attacker, and as such hammers are much more valuable.  Btw, this deck is making me seriously rethink my slivers build.  I think I was doing it wrong, more on that later in the appropriate thread.

I'm not running Guardians or Court Archers, though I'm thinking about moving stuff around to fit them in.

I just wish this deck had 2 or 3 copies of Harrow.

DroneOn wrote:

I'm not running Guardians or Court Archers, though I'm thinking about moving stuff around to fit them in.

I just wish this deck had 2 or 3 copies of Harrow.

I'm surprised.  This deck feels aggressive to me, rather than needing defense.  Am I missing something here.  I'd have thought that most people would adopt an attack every turn, effectively never block approach, bolstered by life gain.  This is what I've done in any case.  Are people having trouble getting enough life gain back, or am I missing something important in the general META?

I tried the Archers, but I never wanted to attack with them so I chose the bigger butt on the Guardians. In a meta where fliers aren't so common, it's a great blocker overall. I also like that it's a white card and very easy to cast. My list is the first post on this page and I'm pretty sure I'm not going to change it unless Phantom Nishoba underperforms; I haven't drawn him enough yet to say for sure.
DJ, I tried to maximize the amount of Exalted triggers in my creature base for offensive purposes; it's not my fault they printed it on a defensive card! And he is an absolutely fantastic blocker in this meta.

Hakeem928 wrote:
DJ, I tried to maximize the amount of Exalted triggers in my creature base for offensive purposes; it's not my fault they printed it on a defensive card! And he is an absolutely fantastic blocker in this meta.

Yeah, I remember you saying that earlier in this thread. I really didn't go all in on the exalted concept, I'm worried that a few of the creatures you'd have to use are too weak for inclusion... Archers as a prime example are too expensive for what they do.

Guardians are decent-costed for what they are + Exalted, but I just can't bring myself to like them enough to run them. I think I have "enough" Exalted without the Guardians. I'll keep them in mind if I am not getting enough Exalted beefiness early, or am getting stymied on early defence.

I put in Phantom Nishoba to try him out and have yet to draw him once. That elusive kitty!

This is a bit OT, but I'd only pay 1W for that card in order for me to include it in a deck.  I don't think exalted warrants 2W from an otherwise vanilla 0/4 defender.  Obviously, I'm talking paper magic here, but still, that's how I evaluate cards in general, so I can't help myself.

I agree I think exalted isn't as good as drawing a card and Wall of Omens costs 1W. A vanilla 0/4 defender is a weak 1 drop usually a 1 drop 0/4 either doesn't have defender or has a relevant ability, or is colorless see every 1 drop 0/4 ever Perimeter Captain, Kraken Hatchling, Steel Wall, and Yoked Ox adding exalted isn't worth slightly more than 2 mana

Steam Name: Yertle{U}The{B}Turtle

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/YertleTheMFnTurtle

New Forum: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

He fits my curve, pings the opponent if I connect, and blocks well. I agree it's a subpar card, but it fits within the context of my build and the overall meta.

Well, if you get a great draw with 3 colors, rhox, and a bant charm the wall is not necessary.  I played a game with a player the other night who referred to the little disks floating around his head as "pancakes," so I have thought of Rhox as Mr. Pancakes ever since. 

BUT I can see a point in adding cards that are really easy to cast and can block, giving you a few more turns to get going.  I have not finished my build for this deck and am willing to give em a shot.

As far as behemoth sledge, I have a love-hate relationship.  It is always going to be an entire turn to cast it and an entire turn to equip it in this deck.  You already have a lot of creatures with lifelink, and have a number of evasive creature making trample less relevant.  But then I think of games where a warhammer on an aven squire was what won me the game, my more powerful creatures being removed.  Or where a hammer was sitting around after a martial coup, putting me two cards ahead of my opponent and turning a 5 point a turn life swing into 10 points.  I think 3 copies is certainly excessive if you run 4 Mr. Pancakes, but 2 copies is just right.

I evaluate all cards as though they lack Exalted.

We don't have any Noble Hierarchs, and we've only got one Rafiq and two each of the Archangels and Finest Hour, so in the vast majority of games Exalted is only going to shave one turn off your opponent's clock. And Rafiq, the Archangels, and Finest Hour are going to do at least that much, anyways.

I'd rather focus on cards that are actually good. This deck has a lot of midrange gold, and with the control decks slowing down the meta, midrange finally has a chance to shine.

Went pretty much balls out exalted with this one although I gave it enough good creatures that I could use all instead of one if needed.

11 Plains
7 Forests
5 Islands

3x Terramorphic Expanse
3x Akrasan Squire
2x Deft Duelist
   Knotvine Paladin
3x Qasali Pridemage
2x Aven Squire
2x Martial Coup
   Jenara, Asura of War
   Giltspire Avenger
3x Rhox War Monk Uncle Jamima
4x Bant Charm
   Rafiq of the Many
2x Sublime Archangel
   Restoration Angel
3x Rhox Charger
   Battlegrace Angel
2x Finest Hour
   Mirror-Sigil Sergeant
   Phantom Nishoba

Yah, I know, a little expensive but worth it. Played this cut 5-1 so far and had 2 Finest Hour's out in two of those games and one was with Rhox War Monk attacking alone leaving 3 smaller creatures back for exalted and blocking.

Resolved Mirror-Sigil Sergeant in two games... I think one of them was against Crysus last night.

3 Rhox Charger's!!!???   I like Rhox.

Meow. Haven't seen it yet but I'm holding out hope.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

thedevilwuster wrote:

Went pretty much balls out exalted with this one although I gave it enough good creatures that I could use all instead of one if needed.

11 Plains
7 Island
5 Forest

3x Terramorphic Expanse
3x Akrasan Squire
2x Deft Duelist
   Knotvine Paladin
3x Qasali Pridemage
2x Aven Squire
2x Marshal Coup
   Jenara, Asura of War
   Giltspire Avenger
3x Rhox War Monk Uncle Jamima
4x Bant Charm
   Rafiq of the Many
2x Sublime Archangel
   Restoration Angel
3x Rhox Charger
   Battlegrace Angel
2x Finest Hour
   Mirror-Sigil Sergeant
   Phantom Nishoba

Yah, I know, a little expensive but worth it. Played this cut 5-1 so far and had 2 Finest Hour's out in two of those games and one was with Rhox War Monk attacking alone leaving 3 smaller creatures back for exalted and blocking.

Resolved Mirror-Sigil Sergeant in two games... I think one of them was against Crysus last night.

3 Rhox Charger's!!!???   I like Rhox.

Meow. Haven't seen it yet but I'm holding out hope.

Supposed to be 11 plains, 7 forests, 5 Islands right? Build looks good otherwise. It seems like this deck includes certain auto-includes, and then the rest is just playstyle preference, or whatever you have had the best experience with. I'm looking at Jhessian Infiltrator and Deft Dualist, and the hammers too.

Thanks for catching that. I edited the post AND spelled Martial correctly this time.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Every time I resolved Mirror-Sigil Sergeant, I found he was a win-more. I also don't think he's great at turning around a losing game since he's too slow and comes out pretty late. Fun card though.

This deck is the sleeper hit of the expansion. Different build styles, interesting cards, and fun to play. Mana woes are the only thing that brings it down a little, but I haven't run into those all that much even.

thedevilwuster wrote:

Thanks for catching that. I edited the post AND spelled Martial correctly this time.

Although Marital Coup could be an interesting card in the right storyline.

Wizards: We're huge fans of George Orwell.

Quick! Call the Church Police!

Show

thedevilwuster wrote:

Quick! Call the Church Police!

No one expects the Marital Inquisition!

BTW.

I had a sneaking feeling Cow was Khron for the longest time. Good call.

Wait, these clothes feel weird.

Ahhh. That feels better.

Show

thedevilwuster wrote:

Ahhh. That feels better.

Message for you, sir!

Same for you (thinks there has to be a better way of PM notification).

Edit: That gives me an idea.

Show

@henwen I have always know the war monk and pancake flipper, lol I had just picked up paper magic after alara and he was really popular. @unstoppable lol that was my text tone for the longest time....maybe it will be again soon

Some sweet games vs Daisho and me. With me using Hall of Champions and the Samurai deck and him going with a creature heavy dogde and burn.

Spoiler, we gonna see a lot of gleam of resistance...

Got a huge landflood in the first game, but all 3 games were very fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ifxwk1uKVc

2 Deck Builds, 3 Gameplays

Dude that Daisho is so full of himself....   nice games though, good play from both.

Lu-tze wrote:

Dude that Daisho is so full of himself....   nice games though, good play from both.

Is he? He trashed me a bit for me being openly annoyed with all the landdraw, after which I drew 4 more lands, but I did not notice him boosting about his elite magic playing skills or something?

Thx for the praise though, maybe I should have cycled one gleam sooner as I had two in hand. Would have stopped the landflood.

It was the tone he was using commenting on your play + deck choice + cards in the first game that put me off. Only when he started noticing that you weren't yet another herpaderp did that tone subside. which makes his  berating your open landflood complaint look rather hypocritical. I guess in order to youtube such games with commentary you need a certain amount of ego.... and his videos generally show high quality play from his side so I'm glad they exist, I'm sure they help  tons of people. If I had so many viewers I'd be a bit more neutral about my opponents ^^.

PS: Ive played you before and you DO complain often when you lose :p which is fine in my book, this game can be frustrating ^^. 

Lu-tze wrote:

It was the tone he was using commenting on your play + deck choice + cards in the first game that put me off. Only when he started noticing that you weren't yet another herpaderp did that tone subside. which makes his  berating your open landflood complaint look rather hypocritical. I guess in order to youtube such games with commentary you need a certain amount of ego.... and his videos generally show high quality play from his side so I'm glad they exist, I'm sure they help  tons of people. If I had so many viewers I'd be a bit more neutral about my opponents ^^.

PS: Ive played you before and you DO complain often when you lose :p which is fine in my book, this game can be frustrating ^^. 

Yeah, he thought at the start of both games they would be fast and easy. Was fun to stretch them out even if I was lucky to draw that 3/3 in the first game. But commenting on plays is what I like about him. He thinks out loud.

@ P.S: I do? Hmm, when I lose I try to oversee the situation and conclude if it was a fault of mine or with the game just not giving me anything usefull. Or when a teammate just does not communicate strategies in 2HG I tend to make that known as well.  But yeah, I can see that coming off as complaining. All I'm searching for is some kind of recognition for my bad luck or tip from my opponent what could have saved the situation. I should word it differenlty maybe, as I try to make it sound light of tone by using words like darn and emoticons. But no one likes a whiner. Thanx for the headsup!

A quick thought: 2 or 3 sledges = infiltrator, 1 or less sledges = either infiltrator or duelist, and IMO duelist is better.

you're welcome. :-)

Daisho ditches Xbox for Steam and the land of no Ranked lobbies and infinite rematches (opponent willing). Then he submits a list with 61 cards. This guy is some sort of Duels master because why again? He's certainly not a scrub, but certainly no better than your average dude you'd find at your local card shop. 

Also, Infiltrator > Duelist all day. Velocity is the word of the day regarding this deck. 

I also don't know how to autocard in this forum any longer...

I agree about Velocity being key, but in a three-color DotP deck it's not consistently achieveable; Infiltrator is theoretically better, but Duelist does more work in this meta. JMHO.

mobiuschickenstrips wrote:

Daisho ditches Xbox for Steam and the land of no Ranked lobbies and infinite rematches (opponent willing). Then he submits a list with 61 cards. This guy is some sort of Duels master because why again? He's certainly not a scrub, but certainly no better than your average dude you'd find at your local card shop. 

Also, Infiltrator > Duelist all day. Velocity is the word of the day regarding this deck. 

I also don't know how to autocard in this forum any longer...

Same c tags as before

Show

@Hakeem: When I see an Exalted deck, I see a deck that wants to push damage through and not theoretically throw their opponent into The Abyss every turn. Sure you can never cast an Infiltrator on turn 2 if you go turn 1 Squire, but I find that to be an acceptible price to pay for true evasion. The Shroud is nice, but that just means the removal is going to his cheerleaders. At least when an Infiltrator goes down, you're (usually) left with a squad of Exalted dudes to pick up the slack. 

Also: Restoration Angel.......no thanks. 

Good point. I see the idea of basically baiting them with unblockable... because there are much more nasty stuff you would rather not get removed.

Give me a couple more games to see if I agree with you there. Hakeem and I are running pretty similar builds.

Show

When I started writing this post, I agreed with Moebius about Resto angel, but after thinking about it a bit more I think she is worth a try.  Right now my mana curve is cluttered with 3 drops that are incredibly color intensive.  Replacing one of these with a four drop would not significantly effect the deck's speed due to her quite manageable 3W cost. 

She certainly is not used to her full effect in this deck which lacks good/any 187 creatures, but is usually a 2 for 1 with a well-priced body. 

mobius, I don't think Duelist vs. Infiltrator makes or breaks the deck, and I can certainly see the argument for each. I just happen to like that Duelist plays good defense and lets me swing into removal-heavy decks without a threat of serious tempo loss.
About Restoration Angel, the card is insane; a 3/4 flash flier for four mana is already ridiculous, so the potential EtB applications are just gravy. Seriously, I would never cut this card.

Man, I'm almost ready to give up on this deck, lol! I borderline hate this one.

I'm surprised, I find it fun; go all-in on Exalted and run Bant Charm and see how you like that.....

Sign In to post comments