Magic 2014 "Hall of Champions" Decklist & Strategies

542 posts / 0 new
Last post

That is what I was thinking, but I keep seeing lists on here where people run it.

2 + 2 = fish

mjack33 wrote:

How is tolsimir wolfblood working for people?  It seems like it would give +2/+2 to almost everything, and +1/+1 to everything else.

I use him.  I use any of the Liege/Lord effects.  He's a little pricy for a "liege" but most of the creatures in this deck are very fragile and succeptable to small burn and board wipes.  He can put some (a lot) of your creatures outside of 2/3 damage board wipes. 

Draconarius wrote:

Too pricey, and not really what the deck wants. We don't want board-wide pumps; we want Exalted goodness. Why pay 6 for him when you can pay 5 for a Battlegrace Angel or Finest Hour, or 4 for Sublime Archangel?

Not all of the builds for this deck are primarly concerned about Exalted.  Don't get me wrong, obviously this is an "exalted" deck but I find it runs a lot smoother if you just focus on including "value" cards.  And there is a lot of value in this deck.  A 2/1 First Strike, Shroud for 2 cmc! A 3/4 Lifelink for 3 cmc.  A lord that gives most of your creatures +2/+2 and some of them +3/+3!!!  A "presistant pump" 3/3 flyer for 3 cmc!   A +2/+2 Trample Lifelink equipable for 3!  Even the board wipe that we have in this deck does something that you normally don't need in Exalted (it makes LOTS of tokens), unless you get Sublime Archangel out the turn after you wipe.

Now, obviously it's nice to attack with a massively pumped single creature, but that leaves you very succeptable to not doing anything due to targeted instant removal.  I find that somewhere between 30% to 40% of my attacks with this deck are with multiple creatures unless I have something like Finest Hour, Rafiq or an Angel in play.

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

How does it give something +3/+3?

2 + 2 = fish

mjack33 wrote:

He's talking about Knight of New Alara, not Tsolmir.

@Sixty: I know what you mean, but you can easily push the curve far too high with them, especially if you've also got the Angels and Finest Hour. I do agree that all the cheaper value cards are definite must-runs in any build. With a few Exalted triggers behind them, the Rhox War Monks and the Sledges gain you roughly 50 million life, the Duellists make combat a nightmare for your opponent, and Jenara becomes truly monstrous.

Draconarius wrote:

mjack33 wrote:

He's talking about Knight of New Alara, not Tsolmir.

@Sixty: I know what you mean, but you can easily push the curve far too high with them, especially if you've also got the Angels and Finest Hour. I do agree that all the cheaper value cards are definite must-runs in any build. With a few Exalted triggers behind them, the Rhox War Monks and the Sledges gain you roughly 50 million life, the Duellists make combat a nightmare for your opponent, and Jenara becomes truly monstrous.

True, I think that with the Angel, 2 Finest Hours, Tolsimir, Mirror-Sigil and the two Skyward Eyes, that's only 6 5/6 cmc cards.  I feel comfortable there.  The sublime angels are only 4.  I guess if you count Martial Coup as a 7cmc card (never played it before 7) then you have 8 cards of 5+ but you COULD use Martial Coup earlier than that so it really depends on how you feel about that.  I'd actually have to check to see if I'm even running Mirror-Sigil right now.  I have a feeling I pulled him to test the Prophets.

BTW - Looking at the first post; What is the 28th Unlock for this deck?  Wizards_Sean; You wanna update your post?  While you're at it, fix the deck list for D&B too since Hidetsugu isn't in that deck.

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

I'd play Martial Coup for four or less tokens if Knotvine Paladin or Battlegrace Angel are already out.

Eohwae wrote:
I'd play Martial Coup for four or less tokens if Knotvine Paladin or Battlegrace Angel are already out.

Even better with Sublime Archangel.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

Wrong angel, right idea.

I've topdecked Sublime Archangel the turn after playing Coup for X=5 before. Feels good, man.

In my deck, Tolsimir Wolfblood is more like a back up plan. My deck is more geared towards exalted, but I use some multicolored creatures that like him a lot. He has the bonus to work with monocolored creatures (most of my deck) unlike Knight of New Alara. He also has the bonus of having passable stats and creating a token if necessary.

I have a dream to use it after a Martial Coup, but that case didn't happen yet.

Tolsmir is a total waste to me- take the wurm instead. Wurm is SO underrated. If it resolves its game over usually.

I kind of get the argument on the dual colored two drops.....but the infiltrator is pretty amazing to me. Pretty easy to be swinging for 5 unblockable damage on turn 3 with it. 

"Buy the ticket. Take the ride."

IF it resolves. Honest opinion is anything costing 6 or more is way over curve for this deck.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

I like him, Tolsimir Wolfblood. I have to concede that I played it very few times, but it allowed me to win at least 4 matches otherwise lost. One of them were an epic victory against DW and another one almost as good against LD.

It already won my deepest affection because of that, so he cannot be removed and he is the only card with mana cost 6 or above in my deck. Certainly not a waste to me.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying it's not worth it. I ran Mirror-Sigil for a while and it was worth it but in the long run I found the deck runs more efficiently as a low curve, exalted, low to mid range deck.

I've been topping out at 5 mana for some time now and only have 3 cards in that spot. Battlegrace and the two Finest.

Show

I am currently trying to find a way to lessen the burden that the decks' colors put on you.  If you were only splashing blue, which cards would you guys still run?  Right now I am only convinced completely on finest hour, with bants, a couple monks, and rafiq all being close seconds which I am trying to find a good combination of.

2 + 2 = fish

I can't think of any other cards besides the ones you listed, considering the context. I would say that Rafiq is not optional to me, thats an auto-include, even when trying to limit blue. The card is just a total monster.

"Buy the ticket. Take the ride."

You have it right there.

Rafiq is an auto include.

With a few early exalted cards, a Charger and Rafiq is quite deadly.

Show

so I ve been playing this deck all day long today and its better than I expected it to be

the deck has actually some of the best overall creatures from all the decks imo and 8 removal spells ( 4 of them destroy artifacts & counter too ) and 3 creatures that can kill enchantments

with the right build it can keep up with any deck

its 1 of the fastest decks which can apply pressure from turn 2

and the 4 lifegain creature on turn 3 are hella strong

Glad to see more people are coming into this deck Liang. It's been my favorite of the expansion since the get go. I survived two games last night 6 or 7 turns in without my third color (once green and once blue) and still pulled massive wins out when I finally hit the third for the closers.

I have found it's perfectly reasonable to expect to win with only white and green if the draw is right.

Show

I think trying to make this deck fast and aggressive is too hard since you 'll normally spend the first 2 turns struggling with your mana ( turn 1 terramorphic turn 2 landcycle). So I made a slow build with 26 lands, took out the 1 and 2 drops since they are bad blockers (keeping 2 shroud guys and 2 pridemages) and kept all the defensive stuff , including the nishoba and the empyrial archangel. Usually I stabilize from a slow start whith massively pumped lifelinkers, pariah or martial coup . And I still cant believe how strong this deck is. Izzet matchup is the only one that worries me at the moment , I'm even running freaking ivory mask. :D

This deck is not made to block in it's best build. Shroud is ok but unblockable is best. I've been running balls out exalted that can win with white only if needed.

This deck can regularly swing for 3 on turn two with W/G. Three damage on turn two puts your opponent on their heels from the get go and gives you the tempo and control over the game.

Don't worry about the fatties as they are not needed. I'm bloated with Battlegrace and Finest Hour at the top and no more.

Show

Attacking for 3 on turn 2 is not *that* impressive, and if you are attacking for millions on turn 5 does it matter ? But really I tried running the fast version of the deck for a while and I find it much much weaker mostly for mana consistency ( much easier to have all your colours on turn 3 if there are 26 lands and 2 landcyclers in the deck ). 

Attacking for millions on turn five is awesome.

Show

I recently cut the Duelists, forgoing all of the blue two-drops, and added back Gleam of Resistance. I'm pleased with the change overall.

After getting mana screwed 3 times in a row last night, I'm strongly feeling a pull to the Gleam side. I hate them so much, but the mana-base is this deck's biggest enemy. It's no fun to play games in which you can't even participate.

I actually won a game because the EoT cycle guaranteed my seventh land for Martial Coup. It's also decent to cycle for a second blue so you can drop a War Monk and still keep up Bant Charm mana (for example).

mjack33 wrote:

I am currently trying to find a way to lessen the burden that the decks' colors put on you.  If you were only splashing blue, which cards would you guys still run?  Right now I am only convinced completely on finest hour, with bants, a couple monks, and rafiq all being close seconds which I am trying to find a good combination of.

And that is exactly the opposite you told me to do when I said I used too much blue permanents. Hard to understand you. Sorry, but it is. 

hackeem928 wrote:

I recently cut the Duelists, forgoing all of the blue two-drops, and added back Gleam of Resistance. I'm pleased with the change overall.

I told this would be the ideal 2 months ago. Even before playing the deck.

Gleam does have a lot of flexibility, and while you can win without 3 colors, it is not something I would bank on.

I have also had two games where hardcasting gleam (not landcycling it) led to a blowout.  Is it a powerful or cost-efficient effect?  No.  But it is completely unexpected, and that very unexpectedness is what can lead to a blowout.  Just like the pump effects in SotS are completely unexpected since so few people run them.  The difference is that this is a pump effect that you can also cycle.  I would rather run a different fetch/ramp card than gleam, but it is in the deck and fulfills its purpose.. 

I like the idea of Gleam but literally cannot find a place for it in my deck. I've played this cut so much now it's like second nature.

Show

thedevilwuster wrote:

Attacking for millions on turn five is awesome.

That guy doesn't do millions and you know it. Rafiq, finest hour and sublime do, and three of those cost 3 colours. That 's why I think the "I can win with only white and maybe abit of green " build is inferior . 

The problem with exalted is that the damage output seems high early on (attack for 3 on turn 2 , right?) but anything you play after that (aside from the 5 cards mentioned above) only adds 1, maaaybe 2 points of damage. It's like you are playing nothing but storm crows! 

Meanwhile other decks, which can also attack for 3 on turn 2 , are adding 5 or more power just by dropping a 2 mana lord or anthem, and if your attacker  is not a life linker you'll lose the race. Bottom line, the best build is the one that consistently drops the war monk on turn 3 and finest hour on 5 , not the one that drops squires on turn 1 and 2. 

Hope I motivated my opinion reasonably  enough .

Turn one: Plain, Akrasan Squire

Turn two: Plain, Aven Squire

Turn three: Forest, Qasali Pridemage

Turn four: Island, Rhox Charger

Turn five: Whatever, Sublime Archangel

Charger can swing with 13 Trample damage. Assuming you have delt damage in the turns before, that might come in handy.

As I can regularly pull this off if I want to I see no reason to change from the "inferior" build....

BRUH

Show

What I'm trying to say is, there's only 2 archangels, so you can't really do that "regularly".

True_Believer_02 wrote:

mjack33 wrote:

And that is exactly the opposite you told me to do when I said I used too much blue permanents. Hard to understand you. Sorry, but it is. 

A) I did not say that.  I said if you were going to run a crapload, then you might as well run one or two more.  Wasn't the phrase similar to "Might as well shoot myself in the other foot too"?

B) I am currently reevaluating the amount of blue permanents for this deck.

2 + 2 = fish

Seems the exactly same (or opposite in this case) to me. Not in words, but at least in idea.

Here is a better attempt at explaining my currnet thoughts.

There are two builds possible.  One only splashes a little bit of blue.  AT most, seven of your cards before 7 cmc should contain the color.  The 3 mana blue creatures aren't really justifiable in this build, because the charms do better than them.

The second build is where you decided to run almost all of the 3 mana blue creatures.  At this point you have already screwed your mana base so badly that you might as well run that one creature you aren't already running.

2 + 2 = fish

Or there is a third possible build (more possibly) and you use blue permanents in a mathematically specific way to match your mana requirements. This is my build by the way.

The problem is the more blue you add, the more your deck will look like the second build you mentioned (because of the low number of mana fixers). So considering these thoughts, you sustain the advice you made?

My advice was concerning you taking one blue card out of your deck when you were running like 10 with the exact same mana cost right?  If it is as I remember I will sustain that the effect of that one card is worth it compared to the fact that you are putting a single blue in a deck oversaturated with it.  Once you go past 6 blue permanents, you have to worry a little about each you include.  Once you go past 10.......... you have already jumped off the cliff and one more won't do any harm.  Especially when it is a giltspire avenger or the 3/3 pumpable flying lady, which were the cards you were trying to decide between when leaving one out.

2 + 2 = fish

Shall I post my build again so everyone will know how to do it? 

Show

Trying the Gleams in place of the Infiltrators. Deck is now:

Contemplating cutting both Guardians for the last Squire and the last War Monk, kind of iffy on that. Perhaps the better move is to cut a Rhox Charger for the last Squire. Squire is the T1 play.

Now I understood! You thought it was oversaturated when the deck was only saturated, and when you add anything in a saturated state, it can become unstable and lose its saturated state. So in other words your premise is based on a false statement, hence the conclusion must be false too.

Thanks for clarifying that.

Arctic... you brought up the perfect spot.

With aggressive mulligans I have rarely been mana screwed, but it happens.

I'm going to swap a one for one I think.

That is a hard slot to swap for me though as I can't tell you how many times the unblockable along with exalted has won me many games.

And when I say  "many" or "regularly" with this deck, I'm serious. I've played this deck with the cut I have in at least 50 games.

Show