Problems unlocking Magic 2014 promos on Steam?

25 posts / 0 new
Last post

Keeping this stickied for a little while to help those Steam users who can't unlock their extra cards using the promo codes. This almost always stems from their Steam client failing to grab the files needed for the promos to become available in the first place. There are a couple ways to try and force steam to do this:

Try exiting the game, right-clicking the title in your Steam Library, and click Properties >>> the "Local Files" tab >>> Verify integrity of game cache to attempt to download the appropriate files.  

If that doesn't work, do the following steps: 

Determine whether or not you're downloading the proper files for the promo unlock:

• Right click on the app name in your Games Library.

• Choose Properties

• Click on the Local Files tab to open the app folder

• From the app folder, open “\WADCACHE\GAMEDATA\D14\SERVER\CONTENT\PROMOS\”

• You should see a folder named “1” and a folder named “2”. If you don’t then you aren’t downloading the files from the server and the problem lies outside the game (likely a network problem).

•  

Next step - Check for regional file availability:

• Paste this link into your web browser  http://media.wizards.com/gamedata/d14/server/Content/Promos/1/PCWAD/0.SHA

• If you receive a “file not found” error, then you are unable to download the content from the internet

• If you download 0.SHA, then you are able to contact the server. Confirm that Server Driven Content is enabled and restart the client. If the content does not appear on restart, restart the client yet again.

•  

If none of the above methods work for you, please contact Customer Service. Include as much detail in your e-mail as you can. Things like network settings & connection method (router, direct line or wireless), your world region, system specs, and which game DLC (if any) you've purchased. Also include whether you've had trouble unlocking just a single promo code, or all promo codes.

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

:/ i still need some help with this, i used all the codes i found and did all that but i still get 39/39 on all the new decks 

occam's razor...

Are you sure you put in all 10 codes and not maybe accidentily skipped one?

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

yes i'm sure, i entered all 10 again and got the already used message. Weirdly enough i have 40/40 of the old decks and 39/39 on the new ones, missing a card that is not even showing up as locked :<

Check your libraries for the cards. Bet they're there.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

I doubt that's the problem, as he's showing 39/39, not 39/40.

My only suggestion is restart the game till it works. I haven't touched expansion territory, so I don't know if maybe this is some larger problem, though.

Edit: How do I delete my comment?

You can't. Edit it to say ''This forum sucks''. :-p

That's what a few of us have been doing.

Show

I managed to resolve this. I had to delete the 3 last folders on the directory:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Magic 2014\WADCACHE\GAMEDATA\D14\SERVER\CONTENT\PROMOS

(i.e. the folders 8, 9 and 10 because i was missing the last 3 promo cards from every deck) then reestart steam run planeswalkers and reintroduce the 3 last codes again.

Regards 

Me and 2 of my friends are having problems entering these codes, anyone help? I tried everything above to no avail. 

Moritsuna wrote:

Me and 2 of my friends are having problems entering these codes, anyone help? I tried everything above to no avail. 

Platform?

I also have this problem.

At my workplace it works fine (altough progress from home PC is not saved even though steam cloud is ON and always allowing time for sync).

@Home, 30/30, not able to get unlocks. Got expansion decks unlocked.

@Work got 0/40,able to get unlocks. Don't got expansion unlocke dyet (no progress from hoem PC)

Please help. It's annoying to pay for something and be at disadvantage vs others just because of coding or something.

This was literally my last buy. There are always problems with DOTP. Always. I don't have time to fix things like that

Killyox wrote:

I also have this problem.

At my workplace it works fine (altough progress from home PC is not saved even though steam cloud is ON and always allowing time for sync).

@Home, 30/30, not able to get unlocks. Got expansion decks unlocked.

@Work got 0/40,able to get unlocks. Don't got expansion unlocke dyet (no progress from hoem PC)

Please help. It's annoying to pay for something and be at disadvantage vs others just because of coding or something.

This was literally my last buy. There are always problems with DOTP. Always. I don't have time to fix things like that

Have you tried clicking steam cloud off and back on? Sounds immensely cliche'd, I know, but that's what worked for me. For some reason it didn't decided to sync until it flicked from off to on, even though it had been set on "on" since I got the game.

Edit: forums now have a "delete" action. No more double posts!

I am currently raising funds to run for President in 2016. Too many administrations have overlooked the international menace, that is Carmen Sandiego. I shall devote any and all necessary military resources to bring her to justice.

I found a way to do it. Thing is it will cost you progress so you need to know that. In my cast it was a matter of deleting Steam Cloud saves for DOTP. If you follow the guide here on how to delete your cloud save for Magic 2014 you will have it all fresh and x/40 unlocks. Even if at start (given that you do it properly) it will show you x/30 just scroll through decks and when you go back to 1st deck it should show now x/40. Go back to Extras and enter Promo Codes.  Worked fine for me. I will see if it will save on my other PC if i change saves there and download newly uploaded saves from x/40.

Ok i have just bought Magic the gathering for pc on steam i have bought all the decks and the foiled versions thought id treat myself yet i saw that i had unlocked the locked cards from my foiled card purchase. But when i went to see the cards i could not find them at all i have treid restarting steam 20 times down the step from http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/3773611#534090591 this guy. also i have tried all the promo codes to see if that would help it keeps coming up invalid codes when i entre them in the promo section to i have servre content enabled. i dont understand i bought the foiled versions for each deck yet i cant get the cards i have unlocked can u help me please is there a link or a download thing i need to do or can u send me the cards by some mean thanks x My steam name is Dendi.Na'Vi and my account name is vanstratano

I can't unlock the codes. Tried everything. My wadache folder is empty, theres nothing in there.  I've clicked the link and it just gives me a line of symbols and codes. Can I manually add these in by creating or downloading something? How is it a "network" issue, like is it network as in my computer, or my actual ISP?

Problem solved everyone.  I spent literally what I think 2.5 -3 hours yesterday trouble shooting this following and doing all directions on various forums, this post and other etc to try and unlock the cards.  Today I finally solved it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully someone stickies this.

This is for people who DONT have files in their WADACHE, CANT connect to the regional file availability link etc to get the Promo Cards.

Follow these Easy steps.

1. Go to your Magic 2014 Destop shortcut

2. Right click and go to Properties

3. Go to Security Tab

4. Go down to "Advanced" click it

5. Go to the 4th Tab "Effective Permissions

6. Select "Full control" and hit OK at the bottom

7. Reload ur Magic 2014 and go to Unlock Promos

8. Profit!

Hope this gets stickied/noticed by Staff

After trying every method here I was about to give up and contatct customer service, but I finally found a fix that worked for me.

Step 1: Open your "Steam\steamapps\common" directory. The path will be different based on where you have steam installed.

Step 2: Go to your Magic 2014 folder, right click and select properties

Step 3: Uncheck "Read-Only" and apply.

Sep 4: A box will pop up. Select "apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files" and click ok.

Step 5: Launch game, and enter codes while having "Server Driven Content" enabled.

Hope this helps someone else.

I am having a similar issue as Jello, no files located in the WADCACHE folder, however I can download the 0.SHA file. I have tried the above and have tried activating and deactivating and restarting probably 50+ times. Any help would be appreciated.

Wizards_Sean wrote:
Keeping this stickied for a little while to help those Steam users who can't unlock their extra cards using the promo codes. This almost always stems from their Steam client failing to grab the files needed for the promos to become available in the first place. There are a couple ways to try and force steam to do this:

Try exiting the game, right-clicking the title in your Steam Library, and click Properties >>> the "Local Files" tab >>> Verify integrity of game cache to attempt to download the appropriate files.  

If that doesn't work, do the following steps: 

Determine whether or not you're downloading the proper files for the promo unlock:

• Right click on the app name in your Games Library.

• Choose Properties

• Click on the Local Files tab to open the app folder

• From the app folder, open “\WADCACHE\GAMEDATA\D14\SERVER\CONTENT\PROMOS\”

• You should see a folder named “1” and a folder named “2”. If you don’t then you aren’t downloading the files from the server and the problem lies outside the game (likely a network problem).

•  

Next step - Check for regional file availability:

• Paste this link into your web browser  http://media.wizards.com/gamedata/d14/server/Content/Promos/1/PCWAD/0.SHA

• If you receive a “file not found” error, then you are unable to download the content from the internet

• If you download 0.SHA, then you are able to contact the server. Confirm that Server Driven Content is enabled and restart the client. If the content does not appear on restart, restart the client yet again.

•  

If none of the above methods work for you, please contact Customer Service. Include as much detail in your e-mail as you can. Things like network settings & connection method (router, direct line or wireless), your world region, system specs, and which game DLC (if any) you've purchased. Also include whether you've had trouble unlocking just a single promo code, or all promo codes.

I don't know if theres even a point in trying here since it seems like this prob has been given up on. My /WADACHE is empty, I get a line of garbled nonsense when I follow that url, I'm in Brooklyn, NY

\dX1±'Éd¢4:6Ë:ÓZEF]@«uþˆ•¦Ø?

I have tried many different variations on restarting w/ and w/out server content, as well as restarting steam both dosens of times and also doing a full game reinstall and still no joy. I was able to enter  a single code (dwnndr) while at a friends house, but the others also did not work there. I also do not see the additional panels to the right. When I enter promo unlocks screen I see an arrow for a moment but it quickly disappears.

When i was going to input the code PXPRMD it said that this code was invalid and i made sure i had the setting right because i'm a steam user and then i restarted the game.
When i restarted the game i went to deck manager i saw that i no longer had 40 cards to unlock but 37/37 cards unlocked instead of 37/40 unlocked.

I didn't skipped any code and i did the procedure above and i did find the files 1 to 10.

Help i don't know what to do.

Sutareteiru wrote:

I am having a similar issue as Jello, no files located in the WADCACHE folder, however I can download the 0.SHA file. I have tried the above and have tried activating and deactivating and restarting probably 50+ times. Any help would be appreciated.

I reported this 4 months ago with no help, can anyone help with this? The arrows always disappear when i click on the extra promotions screen. I have been trying this on and off for 4 months.

very good article, it would be helpful for the people who do not have much experience.

Sutareteiru wrote:

Sutareteiru wrote:

I reported this 4 months ago with no help, can anyone help with this? The arrows always disappear when i click on the extra promotions screen. I have been trying this on and off for 4 months.

Is there anyone out there that can assist with the issue? I have tried the steps mentioned above and have given my results with each fix attempt, it would be nice if someone from Wizards would respond.

Thanks,

-Sut

I like your information. I have downloaded it so many times and have failed and I have followed your way and I was successful. than'k post.!

G9G / Kizi / Friv / Huz