Release Date Yet?

172 posts / 0 new
Last post
Any news on a release date yet?
May first's when the promo campaign starts, thats our only clue to a relaese date...
Ditto to what Raffe said.

But I'd add that once there's a sure date, you can guarantee someone will have posted it here. Glance around at some of the other threads for more information. I'm recommending we try not to flood the forum with "when will it be released" threads?
The game is slated for release in Spring 2009. "Spring" most likely refers to the fiscal year, the calendar used in the video game industry, among others.

Xbox Live releases Arcade games on Wednesdays. The fiscal Spring quarter ends on March 31st, making the latest "Spring 2009" release date March 25th.

This is more or less set-in-stone, as it is extremely unlikely that Xbox Live will change its release scheme within the next few months, and completely impossible that the Fiscal Calendar will be revised.

However, game developers push back release dates almost regularly. The industry has grown infamous for teasing release dates that end up months or even years ahead of the actual release.

Therefore: The most probable release date for Duels is March 25th. However, I would not even bat an eye if the date is pushed back.
Any updates on the release date?
The foil Garruk promotion now begins on May 1st, so that looks like the most likely release.

http://www.wizards.com/magic/digital/duelsoftheplaneswalkers.aspx?x=mtg/digital/dotp/terms
"Xbox Live releases Arcade games on wednesdays" so this could be 29.IV or 6.V.
http://majornelson.com/archive/2009/03/05/the-days-of-arcade-are-coming.aspx

I suspect it will come out April 29 at the earliest based on the Days of Arcade promotion Major Nelson is talking about in the above link. Seven games, six weeks starting March 18, and not listing Magic books all of those weeks' releases through to the 29th.

They could, I suppose, release Magic as well in this six week period, but that doesn't make a ton of sense to me. It looks like they'll be limiting these six weeks to those seven games.

The 29th makes a lot of sense to me, with the promotion beginning May 1.
April 29th seems reasonable, as does May 6th. Unfortunately, all I'm going off of with my earlier comment was Wizard's information on the Garruk campaign, which has already changed once, and could easily change again.
IGN is showing a Q3 release date now. Was June 30, 2009 until recently. Sure hope that is not true.
well im hoping sooner than later and is it gonna be gonna be here in time for the newset
Richard Baker and Andy Collins hosted a panel at Norwescon today on upcoming publications/products coming from Wizards today. They were both from the D&D design team, so they talked mostly about D&D.

I asked what they could share about DotP (not specifically addressing when it would come out) and they did mention that it was coming "very soon."
That's great news. Makes me think the 'around May 1st' theory is pretty accurate.
Yeah, it sure seems like it.
I hope so... But there is only 2 weeks left and we still don't know anything for sure...
I hope so... But there is only 2 weeks left and we still don't know anything for sure...

Well, 3 weeks really, but still, the point remains in that they haven't really given us much to play with in terms of a real date. Even the Garruk promo could be moved (I think it was mentioned that it was done at least once already).

Oh well. I'm salivating for some MtG fun.
Well, 3 weeks really, but still, the point remains in that they haven't really given us much to play with in terms of a real date. Even the Garruk promo could be moved (I think it was mentioned that it was done at least once already).

Oh well. I'm salivating for some MtG fun.

I saw a release date on IGN but my cousin told me not to trust IGN with release dates because they tend to make things up sometimes, so I don't know.
I saw a release date on IGN but my cousin told me not to trust IGN with release dates because they tend to make things up sometimes, so I don't know.

At this point, all anyone (even gaming news outlets) can do is speculate, because the Official Release date hasn't been announced or leaked.
It would seem to make sense that the release of this would coincide as much as possible with an actual set, ie the April 30th release of Alara Reborn (it's synergy and all that). People buying cards at that time are more likly to buy the game, and vise versa.
I don't think it's going to come out on April 29th now. Banjo-Tooie was recently confirmed for release on that date, and it's rare for more than 1 XBLA title to come out at a time. I think May 6th is more likely now.
I bet that there will totally be information about it in some Alara Reborn inserts.
I already found a promo for the game on a "tips" card in a 6-card Conflux booster at Wal-Mart...
I already found a promo for the game on a "tips" card in a 6-card Conflux booster at Wal-Mart...

Walmart sells Magic? I thought they didnt sell it because it would encourage the youth to practice the occult? ;)
I've seen it there before. Target too.
my only question is why in god's name did you buy one of those 6 card packs?
I am Blue/Black
I like the six card packs. For Conflux, anyway. Get less of the same 12 commons floating around my apartment. And, since I work for Target, it makes tweaking out intro packs with coworkers over lunch much more enjoyable. And for less investment.

What (or where, for anti-derailment purposes) are the arguments against the six card packs?
You don't necessarily get a rare.

Good enough for me.
May 6th is Zombie Wranglers, according to Joystiq.

http://xbox.joystiq.com/

Filth flarn filth flarn filth!
I wouldn't worry about that too much. It will probably be much rarer from now on to only have one XBLA game released each week. I could easily see them releasing 100+ Arcade games per year, which of course would mean roughly 2 per week. I think you'll start seeing that it's more common to have 2 new games per week than 1... If that makes sense. Fingers crossed.
Yeah, but there's also WotC_MattT promising more information as we get closer to the release date, and there's an echoing cricket chirp of an information vaccuum going on right now. May 6th is less than 2 weeks away, which in my book counts as "close."
Can't argue with that logic.

I PMed WotC_MattT about what the the May 1st Garruk promo date and the lack of new information out now meant for an early May release, and he said "for legal reasons a starting date was needed, so we made sure it was one that was before the game was for sale." He also said, "I don't have any updates yet for a release date, but as soon as Wizards and Microsoft determine one, we'll announce it as quickly as possible." He's not holding out on anything that he's legally allowed to do - they just haven't planned a release date yet. So we should stop holding our breath.

Still, cool of him to respond so quickly.
Why do they torture us so! Release it!

Or, if you're a bargaining man, just release it to ME! I can make it worth your while.
Well "not having any updates" doesn't mean that they don't have a release date planned, it just means they're not ready to disclose it yet.

That being said, I don't imagine it will be out within a few weeks. It doesn't make sense for them to not tease the release date substantially before launch, it gets more people worked up about it and more likely to buy it if they can see it coming from far away. I'm afraid we may be looking at a Summer '09 release at this point...
My hope is for may 6th... But who knows anymore.
My hope is for inserts in Alara Reborn pimping the game, followed by a release date of May 13th or 20th. Don't get me wrong - a month ago would have been good for me, but from a marketing perspective I understand there are certain principles to follow.
I know IGN had June 30th as the release date. Have a sneaky feeling that we are in for a summer release which is odd since the game sounds finished.
Well, both the Pro-Tour Berlin video and the Duels of the Planeswalkers FAQ have Spring 2009 as the release date, and Spring ends June 20th. Technically they have 2 more months before they qualify as pushing the date back (although I don't know anyone who really considers June to be part of Spring - maybe it's different in Olde England, in New England Spring is April-May).

There's also a few grammar/formatting mistakes on the FAQ page, which make it seem less than totally reliable as far as ironclad primary source material goes. So be it. I'm still hopeful for a May release.
Microsoft is usually tight-lipped about release dates of arcade games, unlike full games which must be manufactured and shipped out. I doubt we will hear anything till a few weeks from release. Also, MS is very thorough in testing new games and sometimes this will hold up a game forever. Since a large draw of this game is the online feature, they will spend a great deal of time making sure it works right. They used to release two games a week but for some reason its only one now.
good lord i hope it doesn't go into june.
I am Blue/Black
i played the full game at comic con 09 in nyc, and it will be well worth the wait. also, i think it will be released in mid may.