Forum FAQ

Welcome.
This section is for threads by new players asking non-rule related questions. (essentially the “Hi, I’m new here threads”) It is also intended for regional threads, so if you are looking to find regional SWM tournaments, SWRPG groups in your area, or have questions about SW events at a local gaming store, this is the place to ask.

Due to a popular request, I am going to field some of the most frequently asked questions:

Star Wars Miniatures FAQ
Q. How do you store your minis?

A. I personally use a tool chest, because of all the drawers. I have heard of people keeping theirs in interlocking tupperware, drawers, or tackle boxes.

Q. What is the best way to protect your maps?

A. Keep them in a dry place, neatly folded. Folders also work, and if you feel like spending a little money, you can have them laminated at Kinkos, or similar stores.

Q. What is the best way to collect sets?

A. There are several ways. You can buy about 3 cases from online gaming stores (cheaper than buying individually), then trade for the few that you wouldn't have. Alternately, if you are only looking for particular pieces, you can buy them on Ebay, or trade for/buy them in the tradehouse section.
If you are looking for a complete set, you can likely find them on Ebay, but be prepared to pay between $150-220, depending on the set.

Q. How do you fix a bent lightsaber?

A. Take about a cup of water, heat it to near boiling, then dip the lightsaber (or other mangled body part) in for about 5-10 seconds to soften it. Bend it into the position you would like, then immerse it in cold water to solidify it. Repeat if necessary.

Q. I got the wrong card for my mini...what can I do about it?

A. Check out the tradehouse; Chances are that you will be able to find someone who has a card that would go with the mini you have, and possibly needs the extra card that you have.

Q. How do you set up and play SWM online using Vassal?

A. These links may help.
Getting Started
The Star Wars Miniatures Vassal section
If you have any particular questions, you can ask _NickName_.

Star Wars Role Playing Game FAQ
Q. What do I need to play?

A. You will need the SAGA edition Core Rulebook (which comes with a double-sided map), dice (a d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d20), pencils, paper, Character sheets (which can be printed from here.), a method of representing characters on the sheet (SAGA edition is designed to work with Star Wars Miniatures, another game by WotC. I personally use these, because I play both games.), and some friends who are interested in playing.
Additionally, if you were looking for ways to expand on the RPG, you could use any of the SAGA edition Expansion books, the Galaxy tiles, or the Game Master Screen. Graph paper can also be used to make your own maps.

Q. How exactly am I supposed to get all this stuff?

A. A variety of places:
For the RPG books, minis, GM Screen and Galaxy tiles, you can find them at a local gaming store, Borders, or you can purchase them from an online retailer. (I use Amazon.com, because you can often find them there for less, and you can get discounts on buying them in bundles, there is no sales tax, and most orders over $25 get free shipping.)
For the dice, you can find them at hobby shops, LGS, or online.
For graph paper, you could find it at a LGS/hobby shop, or at a craft store like Michael's.
For a gaming group, you can try asking your friends, looking at a LGS, or looking here.

Q. Now what?

A. Every gaming group is divided into the players and the GM. The GM creates the adventure, and plays the part of all the NPCs (Non-Player Characters), from the random passerby on the street, to the BBEG (Big Bad Evil Guy) who plans to take over the world.
The players design their own Player Characters (PCs), and interact with the world created by the GM, and follow the path of the adventure to its conclusion.

Q. What does it take to be a good GM? What about a good player?

A. A difficult question, but it really just takes practice to learn what works for you and your group. Try to start an adventure from a point of interest. How did the PCs meet? Was it a sudden calamity forcing random passerby to work together to survive? Were they all hired by the same mysterious individual? Have they been friends for a long time?
You should also give them plot hooks, something to grab their attention, and get them engaged in the story. Are they in a cantina when a brawl erupts between a rebel spy and a bounty hunter? Are they approached by an individual looking for help with a lucrative venture of questionable legality? Do they find themselves being confronted by imperial agents for the rebellious activities of an old friend or family member?
You should always keep a backup plan, and let your players' actions have an influence on the world around them. That way, if they manage to do something you didn't mean for them to do, like kill the BBEG before the campaign was supposed to end, or betray their allies and join the forces of evil, you still have something that can keep the campaign going, and generate interest among the players, rather than forcing them along the path you originally intended.
Try to create situations in which all the players can participate, that way everyone will be able to contribute. A raid on a crime lord's fortress might require someone to hack a computer to disable the security system, a bluff or bribe to get past a guard, and a good pilot for a fast getaway, rather than simply marching in and shooting everything that moves.

For players, the point of the game is to have fun, and tell an engaging story, rather than win. A good party has a mix of characters that all specialize in different things, and function as a cohesive unit. A Jedi, a scoundrel, a scout and a noble have a better chance of success, and interesting character interactions, than say 4 soldiers. I would recommend trying to make characters who have some point of interest to them, and who have realistic motivations for their actions. Your Duros pilot could be a smuggler for the rebellion because his homeworld has been invaded by the Empire, and he has lost hope in having a legitimate job because of the xenophobia of the Empire. Your Mon Calamari mechanic could be a saboteur for the Old Republic after bearing the brunt of Sith cruelty. The possibilities are only limited by your imagination.

Star Wars Trading Card Game FAQ
Where can I buy this game?

A. The game is no longer being made, so if you are still looking to purchase some cards I would suggest looking on Ebay, where you can buy them in bulk for cheap, or if you are looking for a particular card, you could try the Tradehouse section.
Alternately, you could always visit this site, where additional SW:TCG sets are being developed by the Independent Development Committee. (note that this is fan based, and not an official project, but it is still fun if you want to expand on the game.)

Q. Is this the same thing as the Sony online Star Wars Trading Card Game?

A. No, this is an entirely different game, made by Wizards of the Coast, and is played with physical cards, rather than being a virtual TCG.

If anyone has any questions for the FAQ that they would like me to answer, feel free to send me a PM with your question, and I will answer it to the best of my ability.

Thank you, and enjoy.
Good Trades: 18 Bad Trades: 1
Well it's name is fitting to be a newb forum.

Mos, not Moss guys.
They decided to split up the General boards, despite the confusion and issues that it will likely cause and the moving of threads that will be required.

Wonder why...
Well it's name is fitting to be a newb forum.

Mos, not Moss guys.

I was only responsible for getting CM to make the forum, not for the name.
Nice job :D
Thank you.

I hope this will make newcomers feel less intimidated, and have the "hello" threads not immediately sent to the Rec Room.
I think this sub-forum is a very good idea. Perhaps some stickies would be in order for the common questions such as these:

How do you store your minis?

What is the best way to protect your maps?

What is the best way to collect sets?

How do you fix a bent lightsaber?

I got the wrong card for my mini...what can I do about it?

How do you set up and play SWM online using Vassal? (is that one legal?)
;)

...etc, etc.

Stuff like that. We definitely want this thing to be really helpful and welcoming to all the new players who come by.
I think this sub-forum is a very good idea. Perhaps some stickies would be in order for the common questions such as these:

How do you store your minis?

What is the best way to protect your maps?

What is the best way to collect sets?

How do you fix a bent lightsaber?

I got the wrong card for my mini...what can I do about it?

How do you set up and play SWM online using Vassal? (is that one legal?)
;)

...etc, etc.

Stuff like that. We definitely want this thing to be really helpful and welcoming to all the new players who come by.

great post. I agree it would be nice to have this type of stuff stickied.
I will have super Wotc_Michelle correct the spelling.
Hi. I'm new here.

Do many of the SWRPG writers post here? Do any of them have Q&A threads at all? If so, can someone point me in the right direction?

~ Eyrezer
Updated, with some of the most frequently asked questions.

@ Eyrezer:
Yes, you can likely find them in the SWRPG area, in The Senate, The Temple, The Praxeum, or The Mess Hall.
You can reach them here.
Updated with questions for the RPG area. If anyone has suggestions for TCG questions, let me know.
Updated with questions for the RPG area. If anyone has suggestions for TCG questions, let me know.

Perhaps suggestions on where to buy cards would be good.

Also, and I'm not sure if this one is a good idea or not, but it might be good to ensure potential players understand the difference between WotC's card game and Sony Online's card game.
Perhaps suggestions on where to buy cards would be good.

Also, and I'm not sure if this one is a good idea or not, but it might be good to ensure potential players understand the difference between WotC's card game and Sony Online's card game.

There is a Sony online Star Wars Trading Card Game?
There is a Sony online Star Wars Trading Card Game?

here ya go

ThorvaldHafgrimsson wrote:
Life is full of choices. Sometimes you make the good ones, and sometimes you have to kill all the witnesses.
NastasiaLorn; wrote:
But then you have to pay the liability insurance.
A note about character and world creation
Show
Character and world creation are a form of expression. The point is that some people don't have much to say...
57949688 wrote:
Why doesnt anyone ever sig my qoutes!?
On the subject of who post in the Off-Topic Tavern:
57131438 wrote:
most of them are bored, immature adults.
Offical troller of the House of Trolls
Updated.

Thanks for the Scribe Tag!
Updated.

Thanks for the Scribe Tag!

lol,i forgot about looking into it for you:embarrass so, someone else must have gotten it for you

Life is full of choices. Sometimes you make the good ones, and sometimes you have to kill all the witnesses.
NastasiaLorn; wrote:
Show
Character and world creation are a form of expression. The point is that some people don't have much to say...
57949688 wrote:
57131438 wrote:
what does it mean
what does it mean

the scribe tag is for those who've put together the FAQs and things like that...now that the holiday break is over,i need to get a couple others their scribe tags

NastasiaLorn; wrote:
Show
57949688 wrote:
57131438 wrote:
Additional SW:TCG sets have been developed by the IDC

http://www.skywlkr.net/idc/expansions/expansions.asp

IMAGE(http://www.skywlkr.net/idc/includes/images/banner_ion.jpg)

The latest set, Invasion of Naboo is forthcoming very soon....
Photobucket
Updated.
Awsome! I'm Lord Darth Maul and boy do I RP! Iv been Gming for 3 years and love the d20 ssys. My freind coommodore and i are workng on an really cool website that combines SW and ST in storyform. Were gonna have some cool pics coming up soon so stay tooned!

http://sites.google.com/site/trekwarssite/