Random planet generator

I had a blast cooking up that cargo generator, so I decided to take a shot at making a planet generator that produces realistic (er ... realistic for Star Wars) worlds, demographics, Knowledge DCs, and adventure hooks, plus you get to pick the era (which produces era-appropriate details, such as Rebels during the Rebellion era and Yuuzhan Vong during the New Jedi Order era).

Random planet generator

Have fun! And may you never run out of adventure hooks again!
GMSarli GamesGary M. Sarli freelance writer, editor, and cartographer Find us on Facebook! Follow GMSarli on twitter! Subscribe to the GMSarli Games RSS feed! Become a Patron of the e20 System! MAP-PRINTING SERVICE: Our print-on-demand custom map service is now taking orders, so get your homebrew maps ready! Game Utilities: Planet generator || Cargo generator
I like it, thanks. I've been using a planet generator from Decipher's Star Trek RPG for years. It's more detailed, but this'll be nice for speedily creating a random planet. Thanks.
"And the TL;DR award goes to Raul Torin!" - CorranHornIsAwesome Official SAGA Edition Errata Dawn of Defiance Other Articles Thanks to GreySword for compiling these
It is very cool. But I think it would be helpful for it to include wether a planet is republic,or separatist controlled etc depending on era. IE which side of the fence does a planet fall on.
Brilliant. I love it. The cargo generator was cool, but I didn't have a lot of use for it. This however I see myself using all the time. Thank you so much.
How incredibly useful. Thank you.
I was like why would I need something like that for?

Then it hit me...

I could be running a game, they have a been pulled from hyperspace by the Empire and the first thing they would ask me... what system are we in.

It also alleviates me from having to make up a name that might haunt me or my players.

Example...
The group needed parts for their busted ship. just so happens a chain of repair stations owned and operated by this amphibious alien named Sal Am Nander was close by. The company he ran was called Spacers Depot on the Fringe.

There was a lot of groaning from my players when I came up with the names but hey they asked, I had just gone through a string of them talking to random people getting information on a planet and they wanted names for everyone. This one shut them up.

But Spacers Depot on the Fringe has been in a lot of games since.

Thanks for making this.
Awesome!

2 Quick questions

1) Is it possible to download the generator as it would be handy to have on my laptop (which doesnt have an internet connection when I run my campaign)

2) Have you thought about expanding the random planet generator to a random star system generator ie have it generate something similar to what was in the old Star wars role playing books ie

Planets Type Moons
Revisse Molten rock 0
Platoril Barren rock 0
Vandor-1 Barren rock 0
Vandor-2 Barren rock 0
Vandor 3 Terrestial 0
Coruscant Terrestial 0
etc

*Taken from the Coruscant entry in Coruscant and the Core Worlds
Whoa!

This is the coolest thing Mr. Sarli!!! Thanks a lot! Keep them coming...

SAT
Is it based on the old WEG planet generator or RCR or both?

I will definitely be using this A LOT!!!!

This is amazing, I may even click that stratgically placed Donate button!

SAT
1) Is it possible to download the generator as it would be handy to have on my laptop (which doesnt have an internet connection when I run my campaign)

I'm sure it could be made into a downloadable form, but I'm not sure how I would even start to do so. The generator you see is actually drawing from 20+ different files to produce those results, so it would be a pain to integrate.

Besides, as I mentioned with the cargo generator, I'm not entirely sure I want to make something that could be called "Star Wars software" -- a web-based gaming aid is no different than what you might find here or anyone else's fan site, but something downloadable might get LucasArts's panties in a twist.

2) Have you thought about expanding the random planet generator to a random star system generator ie have it generate something similar to what was in the old Star wars role playing books ie

Planets Type Moons
Revisse Molten rock 0
Platoril Barren rock 0
Vandor-1 Barren rock 0
Vandor-2 Barren rock 0
Vandor 3 Terrestial 0
Coruscant Terrestial 0
etc

*Taken from the Coruscant entry in Coruscant and the Core Worlds

I thought about it, but I couldn't think of a good place to cram it into the Saga planet stat block. It's on my to-do list, though, so something like that will eventually show up.

Is it based on the old WEG planet generator or RCR or both?

Both, plus a lot of homebrewed details.

This is amazing, I may even click that stratgically placed Donate button!

Don't fight the urge -- I need the money. :D
GMSarli GamesGary M. Sarli freelance writer, editor, and cartographer Find us on Facebook! Follow GMSarli on twitter! Subscribe to the GMSarli Games RSS feed! Become a Patron of the e20 System! MAP-PRINTING SERVICE: Our print-on-demand custom map service is now taking orders, so get your homebrew maps ready! Game Utilities: Planet generator || Cargo generator
Really nice. I like it. I've worn out the pages of my Galactic Campaign guide for the RCR. Maybe you can make a generator for cities?

quvmoh
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
I'm sure it could be made into a downloadable form, but I'm not sure how I would even start to do so. The generator you see is actually drawing from 20+ different files to produce those results, so it would be a pain to integrate.

Besides, as I mentioned with the cargo generator, I'm not entirely sure I want to make something that could be called "Star Wars software" -- a web-based gaming aid is no different than what you might find here or anyone else's fan site, but something downloadable might get LucasArts's panties in a twist.

Especially since, unlike Wizards, Lucas actually DOES have ninjas that will break into your house and confiscate your computers.... :D
Add to favorites (click)
Children believe what we tell them, they have complete faith in us. I ask of you a little of this childlike simplicity, and to bring us luck, let me speak four truly magic words: "A long time ago...." (Jean Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast) Winner of You Build the Character #12, YbtC #22, YbtC #24, YbtC #28 and YbtC #35 Winner of You Make the... Contest #8
Really awesome! Thank you!
The art of storytelling is reaching its end because the epic side of truth, wisdom, is dying out. Walter Benjamin My products: Healthtracker: keep track of your minions' hp/shield/conditions in SAGA edition (xls format) Carte dei poteri della Forza: Force Power Cards updated to RECG in italian DoD la traduzione della community: DoD italian translation project
Maybe you can make a generator for cities?

Already working on it.

I'm hoping to integrate it with the planet generator and a soon-to-come NPC generator (currently planning on just name, species, gender, and basic description, but i might add some basic stats). I want to make it where you create the planet, and then next to the city's name there will be a button that expands a complete description for the city, and in there you'll find NPCs with a similar button to expand their description.
Already working on it.

I'm hoping to integrate it with the planet generator and a soon-to-come NPC generator (currently planning on just name, species, gender, and basic description, but i might add some basic stats). I want to make it where you create the planet, and then next to the city's name there will be a button that expands a complete description for the city, and in there you'll find NPCs with a similar button to expand their description.

Awsome!
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
Ive just made up 80 odd planets with the generator and Ive got a few observations

Regardless of era the generator seems to be very reluctant to assign a known faction to the system (under Knowledge Buercracy) ie Mandalaorian/Republic/Sith/Trade Federation/Imperial/New Republic etc It looks like only 1 in 20 planets will get a faction mention

Now I dont know if youve got a thing for Vice Gary (or Scum and Villiany) :D but every planet Ive created with the Generator coughs up this line under Knowledge Galactic Lore "A pirate shadowport is located in a remote area here, far from government patrols."
Thanks for the feedback! I haven't changed it to make faction mentions more frequent, but I'll do that next. Also, the pirate thing shouldn't be coming up *quite* that often, so it's probably a case where I accidentally switched a sign or something. :D
Sweet I've been using Galaxy Guide 8:Scouts for my random planets.

Fear is the Mind Killer

A few more thoughts and suggestions

Expanding on factions particulalry during the conflict eras work the wars into the knowledge checks especially if your playing in that era

For example how has the war affected the planet have they picked a side
Using the clone war era as an example

*The planet has avoided taking sides and hasnot been invaded by either the Republic or CIS

*The planet is openly loyal to Republic/CIS but the opposition has yet to bring the war to the system

*The planet declared its support for the Republic/CIS which has resulted in CIS/Republic forces invading the planet declaring marshal law and crushing the planets military forces

*The planet has declared for Republic/CIS triggering an invasion from CIS/Republic, the planet is now an open battle ground with the Droid and clone armys fighting across the planet (You could use the generator to get a name for the oppossing armys generals kind of like what you get at the moment when a smugglers group is mentioned )

*The planet has successfully defended/or rebeled against the Republic/CIS however the Republic/CIS have established an orbital blockade of the system preventing ships from reaching or leaving the system. Like the armys in the previous example you could get the generator to create a naval commander in addition thanks to the Rebellion/Kotor/Clone wars books we now have an order of battle for most of the major factions you could get the generator to create the blockade force.

You could also use this to give the planet a rich history for example a generator created planet for the late Legacy era could have historical infomation for the Old Republic era (did the planet side with the Sith/Mandalorians/old Republic/or remain neutral) Rise of the Empire (Did the planet support the Republic/CIS/Neutral) Dark times/Rebellion/New Republic era (Did the planet support the Empire or the Rebellion) New Jedi order era (Did the planet support the Republic/Empire or the Vong) Legacy era (did the planet support the Sith Empire/Fels Empire or the Republic)

Knowledge Galactic lore looks good each planets getting at least 3 entries however some of the others might need some padding as there typically getting 1 or 2

Earlier you mentioned you where working on a city generator you might want to include military units from the Rebellion/Kotor/Clone wars books so the generator can create garrisions for the city
Another excellent tool, thank you!

dak.
This, and the cargo generator, has got to be one of the most awesome things I've ever seen for SAGA (or for RPGs in general). I'm one of those people who doesn't like to interfere too much with established canon so I tend to avoid major locales like Tatooine or Corellia, but I'm never creative enough to build my own planets into believable worlds. But this gives out just enough information that I can take it and go crazy with it. Gary, you are amazing.

Any plans on creating an NPC generator using the same tables from the Galactic Campaign Guide (such as name, personality traits, appearance, mannerisms, etc)? That, as well, would be spectacular, and it looks like it would probably operate under the same principles. Obviously nothing as in-depth as a full-scale character stat generator, but just something to cook up background NPCs with.

Either way, these tools have got me itching to run another SAGA game. Once again, you are amazing.
Per dargoth2's earlier suggestion, I've integrated a simple "affiliation" entry underneath Government in the planet's table. (I also fixed that "omnipresent pirates" problem -- I accidentally used an OR when I needed an AND, so it was being triggered all the time. :P )

Expanding on factions particulalry during the conflict eras work the wars into the knowledge checks especially if your playing in that era

I didn't see this until I was done, but I like that idea. I can cook up a few different storylines to go with each affiliation and status, and then the generator can randomly pick one from the list and add it as an entry under Knowledge (tactics), at least during wartime eras.

You could also use this to give the planet a rich history for example a generator created planet for the late Legacy era could have historical infomation for the Old Republic era (did the planet side with the Sith/Mandalorians/old Republic/or remain neutral) Rise of the Empire (Did the planet support the Republic/CIS/Neutral) Dark times/Rebellion/New Republic era (Did the planet support the Empire or the Rebellion) New Jedi order era (Did the planet support the Republic/Empire or the Vong) Legacy era (did the planet support the Sith Empire/Fels Empire or the Republic)

I like the idea of adding a longer history, too. Not sure if I'd do it as a play-by-play for each war, but I'll definitely add something that gives a little background to the planet. I'll probably come back to this after I do the city and NPC generators, though.

Earlier you mentioned you where working on a city generator you might want to include military units from the Rebellion/Kotor/Clone wars books so the generator can create garrisions for the city

Good idea -- that would make each planet into a ready-to-use battlefield, and that would be really nice in a war-oriented campaign.

Gary, you are amazing.

Agreed, but it's mostly because I'm unemployed and I have a lot of time on my hands. :D

I figure that making little tools like this is (1) fun for all involved and (2) it's "sweat equity" that might actually help generate future income:
  • People who already know about my store will visit more often, so they might see stuff they want.
  • People who find the generator via Google will discover the store for the first time. ("Non-random miniatures packs? Sweet!")
  • Anyone using the generator might click on one of the ads ... it's maybe $0.15 to $0.25 each time someone does it, but it adds up. (If I had enough people visiting that 100 clicked on ads on any given day, that would pay my rent over the course of a month. Of course, hardly anyone clicks on ads anymore, so that would probably require tens of thousands of visitors every day. But, hey, I figure it has to start somewhere.)
  • Speaking of which, feel free to click on an ad every now and then. ;)

Any plans on creating an NPC generator using the same tables from the Galactic Campaign Guide (such as name, personality traits, appearance, mannerisms, etc)? That, as well, would be spectacular, and it looks like it would probably operate under the same principles. Obviously nothing as in-depth as a full-scale character stat generator, but just something to cook up background NPCs with.

Way ahead of you -- I'm using the GCG stuff as a starting point, and I should have it in a presentable form by sometime next week.
Haven't had time to play with this one, but I did take the liberty of posting the link over on d20Radio.com in their SWSE forums.
Already working on it.

Hey Gary I don't know why, but I'm getting a 403 permission denied error so I can't see the generators.
A few more thoughts

The Sapient species seem to be limited to the races in the Core Rule book (i dont know whether this is a error with the Generator or if youve only put the core races in)

One other thing I just noticed

Sapient Species: 23% Cronfirian (native)

The generator is now able to create its own races!!!! :D

Will the generator be able to create Species traits?

*looks at Rodney*

*waves hand Jedi like*

You want to do a Galaxys of Discovery book (The Scout book) and you want to give Gary a Harry Potter size paycheck to write it! :D
Hey Gary I don't know why, but I'm getting a 403 permission denied error so I can't see the generators.

Try it again -- I think I fixed it.

The Sapient species seem to be limited to the races in the Core Rule book (i dont know whether this is a error with the Generator or if youve only put the core races in)

Yes -- my name generator currently only does the core rulebook species, but I'm working to expand that. (Next on the list: Hutts!!!!! Yay for Hutt name generators!)

One other thing I just noticed

Sapient Species: 23% Cronfirian (native)

The generator is now able to create its own races!!!! :D

Will the generator be able to create Species traits?

It will soon. I won't be able to vouch for them necessarily being 100% balanced, but it will make species traits.

*looks at Rodney*

*waves hand Jedi like*

You want to do a Galaxys of Discovery book (The Scout book) and you want to give Gary a Harry Potter size paycheck to write it! :D

Heh ... that would be pretty awesome. :D
I had a blast cooking up that cargo generator, so I decided to take a shot at making a planet generator that produces realistic (er ... realistic for Star Wars) worlds, demographics, Knowledge DCs, and adventure hooks, plus you get to pick the era (which produces era-appropriate details, such as Rebels during the Rebellion era and Yuuzhan Vong during the New Jedi Order era).

Random planet generator

Have fun! And may you never run out of adventure hooks again!

Looks nice indeed, especially to an old Traveller player like me. Thanks for sharing this Gary!
... It's ... It's full of planets ...
Patryn of Elvenshae Want a character sheet for your starship? Download! Discuss!
... It's ... It's full of planets ...

WIN

:D
Yeah, hopefully all you will be kind enough to thank GMSarli by clicking the ad banner everytime you use it. It doesn't take but a second.
Hey, Gary, quick question: the total cost of cargo - is that how much the freighter captain paid for the haul, or the value he hopes to sell it all for?

Oh, wait, another: is there a way to limit the selection amount (say, I only want the freighter to be hauling three types of goods)?
Hey, Gary, quick question: the total cost of cargo - is that how much the freighter captain paid for the haul, or the value he hopes to sell it all for?

It's the retail value, so the captain would have bought it for maybe half as much (possibly less, depending on the margin involved).

Oh, wait, another: is there a way to limit the selection amount (say, I only want the freighter to be hauling three types of goods)?

Hmmm ... that might be a little tricky since the generator makes each cargo one at a time rather than determining each cargo type and then allocating tonnage between them. I'll see what I can come up with, though.
It's the retail value, so the captain would have bought it for maybe half as much (possibly less, depending on the margin involved).

Ok, good to know. I think I'll go for 1/4 bought and sells it for 1/2 retail, though (those darn retailers like to mark up, after all!) :D

Thanks for your replies!
This and the cargo generator are some of the most useful tools I have ever seen for speeding up play at the table. Bravo sir.

This is the future of gaming as I see it. More interactive and on the fly. Leaner, quicker GMs. If only every place I game had wi-fi. =)

I totally intend to use this. The second my players decide to take my campaign in a new random direction, which will invariably happen EVERY time, I am busting this out.

It makes me wonder what other generators I could dream having (and I came up with a few, such as a random encounter generator by selecting an era, faction, and CL) but I don't want to turn this into extra labor on your part for my amusement.

Good show.

-Niltz