Starship Position Sheets, WIP

Some of you may recall the Starship Position Sheets I made for the RCR. They basically laid out, by heroic position, all the various options for your turn.

I've started updating them to Saga (now that SotG is out).

You can find my work in progress here.

I welcome any constructive criticism y'all may have!

[15 January UPDATE! The file at the above link now contains the Starship Control, Gunner, Systems Operator, and Engineer sheets! Comments still welcome!]

[22 January UPDATE! The file at the above link now contains all sheets, including a "How to use these sheets" section. Comments are, of course, still welcome!]

[11 March UPDATE! The file at the above link now contains some rules corrections, an improved and expanded "How to Use These Sheets" section, and some better formatting. Comments still welcome!]

[15 July UPDATE! I've uploaded a new file at the link above. It includes a first pass on an 11x17 Snubjockey sheet, which includes all the basic information you'll need to run a single-player starfighter (w/ or w/o Astromech support) off of one sheet. I'll try and create a divided, 2-sheet 8.5x11 out of it, but initial comments are welcome!]

[15 July UPDATE 2!! I've updated the file to also include a first-pass version printable on 2 8.5x11 sheets and then taped together. Thoughts?]
Patryn of Elvenshae Want a character sheet for your starship? Download! Discuss!
Nice work, very helpful for during a game. Thanks very much.
just glanced over it, but I was definitely looking forward to this new incarnation. Only thing I've noticed so far, and tho I know many people know this already, I run for a group that is fairly new. (on to my suggestion) I think where you have the Defensive manuevers section, in addition to the attack modifier penalty, it might be nice to have the Ref Def bonus in that box too. Tha's about all I got at the moment, I'll look it over more in a bit.
Thanks for the critique!

The Defense bonus for Flying Defensively, etc., is listed on the Starship Control Sheet under the Reflex Defense section, since that's where all the defensive stats are listed. I could make them a little larger so they stand out better.
Patryn of Elvenshae Want a character sheet for your starship? Download! Discuss!
Maybe I did not quite get the idea of what this thread is about, but something I thought was nice is in the module escape from Orto by Neil Carr. He has a printout of the outline of the ship with circles to place minins to represent specific positions for the crew. He also has two pages listing everything that characters can do. It was pretty cool.

See ya,
Duncan
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/vadersson/faa74bff5e439e58a6ee9517c419c849.jpg?v=73986) Star Wars Saga Edition forever!
Maybe I did not quite get the idea of what this thread is about,

Basically, I've created a set of "character sheets" that correspond to each of the starship positions: [Co]Pilot, Gunner, Systems Operator, Engineer, Commander.

They list the various new options each player in each position has, as well as giving the information needed to determine which dice to roll.

I came up with the idea when, in a previous SWRPG campaign, everyone basically went slack-jawed and buggy-eyed whenever we got into a fight in space: what can I do? what dice do I roll? what total am I going for? etc.

So, let's say you're the ship's System Operator. You'll have a sheet which tells you which bonuses are important (the ship's condition track, the ship's Int mod, your Use Computer bonus, and your Mechanics bonus). It then tells you how you can use them, and what kind of action it takes. For instance, there's a section on Communications which lay out the actions to hail another ship, secure your communications, etc.
I've updated the file located at my initial link (and reposted here).

It now includes the Systems Operator and Engineer sheets.

Please, keep the comments coming! :D
You might add the DC 25 Use Computer check to detect a ship coming out of or entering hyperspace to the System Operator sheet if you can fit it in. That's an easy one to forget and it's only listed in one spot in SotG.
These are great character sheets, and I can even use them along with the starship character sheet I already have (I can't remember who made it). The best part about it is that you've given a name to the varoius actions, so instead of "Hey engineer do that thing that makes the ship good for now" you can just say "Here's your hydrospanner! Get to work!" A stat sheet that enhances roleplaying? That's impressive.
You might add the DC 25 Use Computer check to detect a ship coming out of or entering hyperspace to the System Operator sheet if you can fit it in. That's an easy one to forget and it's only listed in one spot in SotG.

Good call.

[EDIT: And done. It'll be in tonight's update.]
What an excellent idea... just hand them out to the players that work in those roles. Gives them all the info they need. Good job and thanks.
What an excellent idea... just hand them out to the players that work in those roles. Gives them all the info they need. Good job and thanks.

Exactly! :D

Thanks for the compliments - but did you have any changes you'd want to see made?
I'm not sure if it was just in the Outlaw tech Talent tree, but isn't there an option of when jury rigging a device that also allows you to gain back HP that doesn't take an hour? I thought I saw an update to the erratta or somthing that let you do that. Again, it may just be with the talents above, but you might put a caveat on the engineer sheet to show that.
I'm not sure if it was just in the Outlaw tech Talent tree, but isn't there an option of when jury rigging a device that also allows you to gain back HP that doesn't take an hour? I thought I saw an update to the erratta or somthing that let you do that. Again, it may just be with the talents above, but you might put a caveat on the engineer sheet to show that.

That's right, they errata'ed the jury rig action to provide 1d8 hit points. Otherwise, trying to jury rig a vehicle that's disabled because it's at 0 hit points is an exercise in futility.

p. 69 – Mechanics Skill
Under the Jury-Rig header, replace the 4th sentence with the following: "A jury-rigged device or vehicle gains +2 steps on the condition track and 1d8 hit points."

did you have any changes you'd want to see made?

Is says on the weapon page...

Capital weapons take a -20 penalty when used against targets of size Colossal or smaller.

I thought the penalty was for firing as ships smaller than Colossal. So Colossal ships don't have the -20

If a Colossal (space transport) ship has Combat Thrusters then is counts as a size smaller, but a ship without them doesn't have a -20 penalty to hit.
I'm not sure if it was just in the Outlaw tech Talent tree, but isn't there an option of when jury rigging a device that also allows you to gain back HP that doesn't take an hour?

Good catch - I'd forgotten that errata. I'll update that in the next version.

Is says on the weapon page...

If a Colossal (space transport) ship has Combat Thrusters then is counts as a size smaller, but a ship without them doesn't have a -20 penalty to hit.

Nope - you're right. I had it the other way, thought it looked wrong, and decided to check it later. Then I forgot to check it later. I'll fix that in the next version. :D

Thanks for the help and keep 'em coming, folks!
Elvenshae
Good job. Anything that save flicking thought the books and informs those who don't have a indepth knowledge of the rules is helpful
Cheers
Cynabar
So, that next update posted, or are we still waiting on a wonderful guy named Shae?
Waiting - I've been home sick for a couple days without time to work on the next update.
Just wondering where you went. Get yourself back together.
Just wondering where you went. Get yourself back together.

And on that note ...

There's an update at the link posted above (and reposted here).

Please, keep the comments coming! :D
So - any thoughts?
Excellent work Elven, keep it up.
Hey,
Are your RCR starship position sheets still available?
If so, can you tell me where they are found
thanks
Yep - you can find them here.
ack sorry, missed the new post until today, I'll look it over and see what I can see

Ok, looks great, can't see anything right off... just one question.

The boxes next to the ranges and mods in the weapon block itself on the gunners sheet with the headings of character and starship... what are those for exactly? the number of squares that weapon has for that range?
The boxes next to the ranges and mods in the weapon block itself on the gunners sheet with the headings of character and starship... what are those for exactly? the number of squares that weapon has for that range?

Yep - squares of range in both character and starship scale (since the two are nowhere near the same); they're different for just about every weapon, so I thought it would be helpful.

The diamond boxes are there so you can write in your attack bonus as modified at each range increment.

Characters, operating at character scale, will be at Point Blank and Short range most of the time, so the ranges aren't as important. In starship combat, at starship scale especially, you'll be bouncing around between range categories quite abit.

I'll add some comments about that to the "How to Use These Sheets" page.
Just wondering why you went with landscape instead of portrait?
... Good question.

The primary reason is that I put them together in PowerPoint, which defaults to a landscape look.

The other is that, as I went through the layout, the wider-but-shorter frame fit the information better than the narrower-but-taller fram.
I cant download it, It says the zip file is corrupted. WOuld it be to much trouble for you to email them to me in a non zip format if I pmed you my email address? If you dont want to, I understand but your creation just looks too amazing to not try for myself
Ah got it. Just wondering as it goes away from the layout of the character sheet. Love the sheets! Thank you for the work.
I cant download it, It says the zip file is corrupted. WOuld it be to much trouble for you to email them to me in a non zip format if I pmed you my email address? If you dont want to, I understand but your creation just looks too amazing to not try for myself

Sure - shoot me a PM.
Very cool sheet.

I'm gonna use it in both of my games.

What would totally kick butt would be a forms based PDF, but that is sort of a pipe dream
Hey Shae, just a quick thought that I had while working up one of my ships on your sheets. Put one or two weapon bars on the pilot sheet so that they know what weapons they have access to. Easy to write it in on the margin I know, but also probably a nice thing to have.
Very cool sheets!
"I'll be watching your career with great intrest!"
I came up with the idea when, in a previous SWRPG campaign, everyone basically went slack-jawed and buggy-eyed whenever we got into a fight in space: what can I do? what dice do I roll? what total am I going for? etc.

So, let's say you're the ship's System Operator. You'll have a sheet which tells you which bonuses are important (the ship's condition track, the ship's Int mod, your Use Computer bonus, and your Mechanics bonus). It then tells you how you can use them, and what kind of action it takes. For instance, there's a section on Communications which lay out the actions to hail another ship, secure your communications, etc.

Wow! Great work! That's the kind of game aids I like very much. When I began my campaign, the PCs stayed on planet just to avoid too much new rules (and Sotg wasn't out yet). Now I'm planing to get them out and those sheets will be very usefull for everyone, even myself as the DM. So everyone will know what they could or couldn't do on spot.
"Gods? They should be banned!" -Eiderdrake
I'm sorry to nitpick (these sheets are great!), but I notice that all three weapon entries on the Gunner sheet are listed "Weapon 01".

Other than that, it looks great. I also will be using these in my game.

This makes starship combat oh-so-much easier. I've been grappling with how to get all of my players to understand the pros and cons of different positions, and trying to figure out a way for everyone to become involved in Space combat.
Holy cow, this is marvellous.

I was going to do this on separte index cards to give to each player, but this is a zillion times better.
FAN-MADE SAGA ED. ADVENTURES Scores of free, fan-made Star Wars adventures for Saga Ed. ●DATHOMIR FIELD GUIDE A Saga Ed. sourcebook for adventures set on Dathomir ●LIVE ACTION FILM CHARACTERS SOURCEBOOK Saga stats for hundreds of characters from the live action films ●"ALL-PURPOSE" SAGA EDITION SOURCEBOOK Saga stats for NPCs, droids, ships/vehicles, weapons/gear, etc. ●SAGA EDITION SPECIES SOURCEBOOK Official & fan-made Saga stats for your favorite species ●THE CENTRALITY: A SAGA EDITION GUIDE AND GAZETTEER As featured in The Lando Calrissian Adventures ●THE CORPORATE SECTOR SOURCEBOOK As featured in Brian Daley's Han Solo novels and original edition of the Star Wars RPG ●SAGA EDITION CRIB SHEETS Various fan-made Saga Ed. Crib Sheets for players & GMs
Very handy -- I yoink with glee!

My one suggestion would be to add page numbers for reference for things like "Jury Rig" etc., possibly with a superscript E to indicate changes for errata. But that's only 'cause I'm very nerdy. ;)

Thanks much!

-The Gneech
I love these sheets and definitely will be using them on Thursday for my starship combat.

I do have a question, though:

On the Starship Control Sheet, the ship's DEX modifier is not included in the equasion for determining Initiative.

Shouldn't it be?

Also, while we're tweaking that part of the sheet, I might suggest fitting the grayscale words "Pilot or" above the grayscale word "Initiative" in the box to the right of the plus sign, since a character can use the higher of either his Pilot or Initiative score for this calculation.
FAN-MADE SAGA ED. ADVENTURES Scores of free, fan-made Star Wars adventures for Saga Ed. ●DATHOMIR FIELD GUIDE A Saga Ed. sourcebook for adventures set on Dathomir ●LIVE ACTION FILM CHARACTERS SOURCEBOOK Saga stats for hundreds of characters from the live action films ●"ALL-PURPOSE" SAGA EDITION SOURCEBOOK Saga stats for NPCs, droids, ships/vehicles, weapons/gear, etc. ●SAGA EDITION SPECIES SOURCEBOOK Official & fan-made Saga stats for your favorite species ●THE CENTRALITY: A SAGA EDITION GUIDE AND GAZETTEER As featured in The Lando Calrissian Adventures ●THE CORPORATE SECTOR SOURCEBOOK As featured in Brian Daley's Han Solo novels and original edition of the Star Wars RPG ●SAGA EDITION CRIB SHEETS Various fan-made Saga Ed. Crib Sheets for players & GMs
Oh! One more thing...

Assuming that 1/2 your heroic level is added to starship damage (before the weapon's damage multiplier is applied), maybe, on the Gunner's sheet, there could be a notation to that effect.
Sign In to post comments