Don't call it a generator, but...

It's huge. It's kind of slow, but it works, mostly. May I present my character sheet [links below]

I want you to tell me every mistake I've made, and if you're a better programmer than me, why not try and tidy up that code. I stole a few ideas (and parts of images) from other character sheets around here. Thanks to everyone else who made this possible. Now, criticise!

Edit: SagaSheet 1.4

Hey, guys, let me give you the lowdown.

I've been working hard on the sheet over the past few weeks, trying to make it more user-friendly as well as updating it with the new material. I think that I've made big improvements in a lot of areas, but with the big changes are bound to come a whole Huttload of bugs.

Coincidentally, I have exams coming up in the next two weeks. It's strange to think that I started this sheet before starting uni, and these are my third year exams (and if they go well, I get to go to Harvard next year! Laughing). The downside of that is that I won't have time to work on the sheet, which also means that I haven't updated a lot of the little bugs that you guys have mentioned over the past few pages. The upside is that while I'm away, you can delve deeply into the sheet and tear it up, giving me lots of fun new work after I've finished my exams (and the subsequent celebrations).

There isn't import/export support at the moment. I'm considering moving in a whole new direction for that function - importing from the statblock format that the sheet produces. Ambitious, perhaps, but it would hopefully make the sheet a lot more cross-compatible with other products. I'd appreciate your thoughts on this sort of thing.

So, what I'm giving you is edition 1.4, and it is essentially beta. 1.41 (and probably 1.42) will hopefully be more stable (and probably slightly sleeker). I'll leave the link up for the older version.

I hope you guys understand my decision here. I'm doing this out of my own free time, and sometimes that free time just isn't there.

Thanks.

Version 1.31b

Ship Sheet 1.0 Beta

SagaSheet
Kenad, I wish I had your programming skills. I'm so lost, I can't even figure out how you make stuff appear in the statblock.

JOIN US AT THE NEW STAR WARS SAGA EDITION COMMUNITY: THE SAGA CONTINUES!

Compiled files of all Star Wars Saga Edition resource documents & reference tools - NPCs, character sheets, Dawn of Defiance, Force and lightsaber form power cards, Jedi Counseling articles, NPC statblocks, Saga Index to all feats, talents, species, weapons, etc, Star Wars articles and web enhancements

So... I was trying to find ways to make this not lock up my laptop when I run it, and I came across:

Sub MyMacro()
**Application.ScreenUpdating = False
**Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual
**' Your code here...
**Application.Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic
**Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Sadly, I'll need to add it to *every* macro to see if it works, but I figured I'd throw it out there. Basically, it makes it so your screen doesn't refresh until the macro is done running. (prevents screen flicker, which has been the main time it's locked up on me)
Hey, guys. I appreciate all the comments.

I reckon I've got to the point where it might just be best to wait until after TUR comes out to put out the next version of the sheet. I've got an operation coming up, so I should have some free time after that when I'm basically house-bound and I can get a lot of work done, hopefully

Caelik, I use the Application.ScreenUpdating thing sometimes, but it's a really annoying fake bug when something goes wrong in a routine, because it's stuck on the screen, so it looks like Excel has frozen up when it actually hasn't. If the sheet were perfect, I'd stick it in everywhere.

On the other hand, it wouldn't be too hard to add in the end of it, at least. Just Search/Replace "End Sub", eh?

Let me know how it goes. I hope the sheet works for you soon!
Well, I was hopeful for a little while that just running my laptop on High Performance mode would fix it, but no such luck. I honestly think at this point, I just need to add memory to my laptop.
I reckon I've got to the point where it might just be best to wait until after TUR comes out to put out the next version of the sheet.

Good idea.

I've got an operation coming up, so I should have some free time after that when I'm basically house-bound and I can get a lot of work done, hopefully

Good luck with that! Hope it goes well.
"The Curse of Knowledge: When you know something, it's difficult to imagine what it's like not to know it."

~ Steven Pinker

D&D 5e Session Recaps:

Welcome to Icewind Dale (Legacy of the Crystal Shard)

DMing for My Wife (and Our Friends) (Lost Mine of Phandelver)

I'm so glad you've got a health problem! Wink
SAT

Hey, guys. I appreciate all the comments.

I reckon I've got to the point where it might just be best to wait until after TUR comes out to put out the next version of the sheet. I've got an operation coming up, so I should have some free time after that when I'm basically house-bound and I can get a lot of work done, hopefully

Caelik, I use the Application.ScreenUpdating thing sometimes, but it's a really annoying fake bug when something goes wrong in a routine, because it's stuck on the screen, so it looks like Excel has frozen up when it actually hasn't. If the sheet were perfect, I'd stick it in everywhere.

On the other hand, it wouldn't be too hard to add in the end of it, at least. Just Search/Replace "End Sub", eh?

Let me know how it goes. I hope the sheet works for you soon!

This is an excellent resource, I shall definitely be recommending my SWP's take a look at this lil work of wonder. Excellent job!

Good luck with the operation. I hope it's nothing serious Kenad. One a side note, maybe you'll have some time to churn out a better vehicle generator? ^_~
Kenad,

I just joined this forum so this is my first post.  I joined specifically to say "thanks" for your work on your spreadsheet.

I've been out of RPGs for about 20 years.  However, my kids are just aging into RPGs and my nine-year-old son nearly passed out when he saw that "Star Wars" was available as an RPG.  Granted, we're coming in a bit late from what I've heard, but I got him the Saga rulebook.

Your sheet makes it almost completely painless to create characters for my kids and to create quick "thugs" for them to go up against.

Good luck with your operation, whatever it may be.

-Slygg
Is the most up to date version of this the one on the front page of the thread, or is there an alternate link tucked away somewhere in this gargantuan chain? 
Is the most up to date version of this the one on the front page of the thread, or is there an alternate link tucked away somewhere in this gargantuan chain? 

yes. 1.31b is the most recent version. I believe Kenad is waiting for the last book to come out before doing one more update.

"The Curse of Knowledge: When you know something, it's difficult to imagine what it's like not to know it."

~ Steven Pinker

D&D 5e Session Recaps:

So, is there a fixed arc of Saga books, or is he just going to finish it off, and then hand it off to someone else to maintain later? Your post has a sense of finality to it. 
So, is there a fixed arc of Saga books, or is he just going to finish it off, and then hand it off to someone else to maintain later? Your post has a sense of finality to it. 

Didn't you get the memo? ;)

Earlier this year Wizards announced that they would not be renewing the Star Wars license. We've got one more book, The Unknown Regions, due out later this month and then that's it - the Star Wars Saga Edition RPG is finished.

~ Steven Pinker

D&D 5e Session Recaps:

I read that when I was still playing minis-I guess I didn't port it over to Saga since I started playing that just in the last few months. 

*facepalm* DUH.

CAS 
Kenad: Your character sheet automatically calculates second wind amount in the statblock tab based on 1/4 of the character's max hit points, but the rule is actually 1/4 or Con score, whichever is higher. Is there any chance that the next time you do an update, you could amend the code so that it can pick between 1/4 and Con score? Or is that beyond excel's capability?

~ Steven Pinker

D&D 5e Session Recaps:

It's already done, pukunui. I got TUR literally ten minutes ago. Interesting reading...
It's already done, pukunui. I got TUR literally ten minutes ago. Interesting reading...

Nice. So we should expect an update soon? I was hoping to have my copy of the book last week, but it got held up by that dang volcano ...

~ Steven Pinker

D&D 5e Session Recaps:

Hi Kenad, welcome back!

Here's a list of some errors I found in 1.31b:
  • +3 damage from vibroknuckers doesn’t seem to be adding into the statblock

• The heavy assault blaster rifle is autofire-only. There should not be an entry for a non-autofire attack. There should only be 1 attack at -5 penalty. (However, you could include a braced autofire attack entry with a -2 penalty.)

• Weapons: When I select “Blaster rifle, sniping” it gives me the stats for the “SG-4 blaster rifle” instead

• Weapons: When I select “Sith sword” it gives me the stats for the “short sword” instead.

• Nonheroics should not have a second-wind entry in the statblock

Just a suggestion: Include a Background entry in the statblock

Compiled files of all Star Wars Saga Edition resource documents & reference tools - NPCs, character sheets, Dawn of Defiance, Force and lightsaber form power cards, Jedi Counseling articles, NPC statblocks, Saga Index to all feats, talents, species, weapons, etc, Star Wars articles and web enhancements

Didn't you get the memo? Earlier this year Wizards announced that they would not be renewing the Star Wars license. We've got one more book, The Unknown Regions, due out later this month and then that's it - the Star Wars Saga Edition RPG is finished.

True but Kenan can still coordinate with Nar's Fandomcomics.com. I'm sure they'll be producing stuff for awhile longer. Viva la fandom! ^_^

Kenad! Dude! How ya been? How did the operation go? Think we might see an improved version of the vehicle generator anytime soon? ^_~

True but Kenan can still coordinate with Nar's Fandomcomics.com. I'm sure they'll be producing stuff for awhile longer. Viva la fandom! ^_^

He's repeatedly said he won't incorporate the fandomcomics PDFs. Let's not keep bugging him about that stuff.

You da man, Kenad!

I'll be quiet now.

Edit: Hey, is there any easy way to get the program to work on OpenOffice?
I'm not the smartest guy in the world and I often say things without looking at all angles. In other words, I'm gonna be sticking my foot in my mouth a lot, so please try to see my stupidity in the best light possible. You've been warned.
I know this is late to the party, but Great Character Generator!

I was just running through it again and I noticed a couple of things:

1) The Equipment Weight did not calculate for EquipEquip2 and higher due to a formula error when entering more than one item.

2) The Driod tab is for a droid chacter instead of a driod as gear (i.e. the price was not added in the equipment section.  Inteasd, driods (as equipment) need to be manually added to the Other table of the Equipment section.

3) Basic is not one of the choices for additional languages.  Normally this is a no-brainer, unless the character race does not normally have Basic as a starting language (such as for a Chiss character).  Maybe you can add it to the list?  Also, Basic did not populate on the character sheet, but it does under the Stat Block.

Great job on the program!

- Chris
3) Basic is not one of the choices for additional languages.  Normally this is a no-brainer, unless the character race does not normally have Basic as a starting language (such as for a Chiss character).  Maybe you can add it to the list?  Also, Basic did not populate on the character sheet, but it does under the Stat Block.

I'm not having that problem with my copy of the spreadsheet (1.31b). One of the PCs in my campaign is a Jawa. I had no trouble adding Basic as an Extra Language and it even appears on the PC's statblock. It's between Baragwin and Batorese, if that helps. Or you can just type "Basic" and it should accept it. Have you got the macros enabled?

~ Steven Pinker

D&D 5e Session Recaps:

Excellent Utility!

Very excited waiting for the final update. Thanks for all your work!
Hey, guys, let me give you the lowdown.

I've been working hard on the sheet over the past few weeks, trying to make it more user-friendly as well as updating it with the new material. I think that I've made big improvements in a lot of areas, but with the big changes are bound to come a whole Huttload of bugs.

Coincidentally, I have exams coming up in the next two weeks. It's strange to think that I started this sheet before starting uni, and these are my third year exams (and if they go well, I get to go to Harvard next year! Laughing). The downside of that is that I won't have time to work on the sheet, which also means that I haven't updated a lot of the little bugs that you guys have mentioned over the past few pages. The upside is that while I'm away, you can delve deeply into the sheet and tear it up, giving me lots of fun new work after I've finished my exams (and the subsequent celebrations).

There isn't import/export support at the moment. I'm considering moving in a whole new direction for that function - importing from the statblock format that the sheet produces. Ambitious, perhaps, but it would hopefully make the sheet a lot more cross-compatible with other products. I'd appreciate your thoughts on this sort of thing.

So, what I'm giving you is edition 1.4, and it is essentially beta. 1.41 (and probably 1.42) will hopefully be more stable (and probably slightly sleeker). I'll leave the link up for the older version.

I hope you guys understand my decision here. I'm doing this out of my own free time, and sometimes that free time just isn't there.

Thanks.

SagaSheet 1.4

We totally understand, KB. You're under no obligation to provide us with anything, but we're all very much appreciative of what you have done, bugs and all!

Good luck with your exams!

EDIT: I like how you've hidden everything outside of the areas of input. Looks a lot sleeker.

~ Steven Pinker

D&D 5e Session Recaps:

Good luck with exams, KB. Thanks for the newest version. Looking forward to trying it out!
Final Reflex Defense on the armor page is messed up. It always calculates to armor reflex defense over heroic level, even if you have no armor on.
Ugh, sorry about that. Redownload, I've fixed that (hopefully!).
Humans seem to only get 1 feat at first level.
Ack!

There's two ways of fixing that:

Open the Data sheet

Either:-
  1. Change cell AU93 to the value "Bonus Feat" (rather than "Bonus Feat ", with the space)

or:-

2. Change cell DF2 to "=IF(AND(CharLvl<>0,OR(L1Class<8,L1Class>10)),1+ROUNDDOWN(CharLvl/3,0)+IF(COUNTIF(RacialAbilities,"Bonus Feat*")>0,1,0),0)" (the difference being the asterisk after "Bonus Feat". I only just discovered this functionality - it would have saved me a lot of work!)

(or indeed both, just to be safe!)

Hopefully that should sort it out until I get the next version out.
Ack!

Open the Data sheet

1. Change cell AU93 to the value "Bonus Feat" (rather than "Bonus Feat ", with the space)

2. Change cell DF2 to "=IF(AND(CharLvl<>0,OR(L1Class<8,L1Class>10)),1+ROUNDDOWN(CharLvl/3,0)+IF(COUNTIF(RacialAbilities,"Bonus Feat*")>0,1,0),0)" (the difference being the asterisk after "Bonus Feat". I only just discovered this functionality - it would have saved me a lot of work!)

I entered both changes and the Human bonus feat works now.

BTW, thanks for all your hard work. You rock! I use your sheet in making all my NPC's. I share my NPC's with the community. Check it out in my sig (statblock 4e style).

Good luck on getting into Harvard!  Thats more important than this sheet.
Good luck on getting into Harvard!  Thats more important than this sheet.

What do you mean?  It's probably working on this sheet that has given him the skills that will get him into Harvard.  Tongue out
WINNER OF YOU BUILD THE CHARACTER #6 - Qui-Gon Jinn "For 300 years we prepared, we grew stronger. While you rested in your cradle of power." -Lord Malgus, The Old Republic Trailer "Am I the only one that saw the film and thought Obi-Wan was expressing an opinion of moral superiority/ideological victory with his statement? Y'know, instead of stating to the highly experienced combatant in front of him the obvious fact that he stood a few meters below him on the vertical axis?" -d20 Radio regarding Obi-Wan's comment to Anakin "It's over Anakin. I have the high ground."
Ack!

Open the Data sheet

Could someone help me with this? I'm not sure what/where to change.

Edit: is anyone else having problems with the talents page? When I click the talents tab, it temporarily opens a new excel page, but then it won't let me actually select any talents.
Could someone help me with this? I'm not sure what/where to change.

I couldn't figure it out at first either, but here's how: on the Intro tab, you need to tick "show data sheet", which should show up over by the character sheet tab. Then navigate to the correct cell and make the corrections. I found I only need to make the first correction to fix the problem.

Edit: is anyone else having problems with the talents page? When I click the talents tab, it temporarily opens a new excel page, but then it won't let me actually select any talents.

Nope, the talents tab works fine for me.

~ Steven Pinker

D&D 5e Session Recaps:

Thanks Puk, I figured out the bonus feat thing.

But for some reason, the talents tab is completely unusable for me. I've tried redownloading it, to no avail. I don't understand...

Edit: I'm using Excel 2007. I've never had any compatibility or problems of any sort running the program. But with this new version, the talents tab is not working. If anyone can help me out, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks Puk, I figured out the bonus feat thing.

But for some reason, the talents tab is completely unusable for me. I've tried redownloading it, to no avail. I don't understand...

Edit: I'm using Excel 2007. I've never had any compatibility or problems of any sort running the program. But with this new version, the talents tab is not working. If anyone can help me out, I'd appreciate it.

I'm using Excel 2003. I've noticed that when I click on the Talents tab, it does open another window and the program jams for about 10-15 seconds. But after that it's ok. Have you tried just waiting?

Sign In to post comments