March 25th Article Discussion

26 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion on the new MTGO article. The article is available here.

 

  • April Phools - Eight 8-booster Phantom Sealed formats
Alison L.
Associate Community Manager
Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

I confess that I killed 8 Pestermites.

pcjr wrote:

I confess that I killed 8 Pestermites.

 

You monster!

Alison L.
Associate Community Manager
Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

Wizards_Alison wrote:

 

pcjr wrote:

I confess that I killed 8 Pestermites.

 

 

You monster!

In his defense, they had it coming.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.


Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert

I only killed 7 pestermites, and made a guess about what the core set sealed pool would comprise of.

Not a single Pestermite survived that day. 

 

As an aside, is anyone in there concerned that they're leaning a bit heavily on Phantom for fun stuff? There's quite a few audience segments which that doesn't usually involve.

I tend to avoid phantom events, but I think they make sense in cases like this (as well as cube).

I have almost zero interest in phantom events. I just like the thrill of opening something cool. It is a big part of the reason I like limited formats.  

Calavera on MTGO I collect Zendikar Foil Basic lands. Trade me yours! Things that I want to see changed on MTGO: 1: 64 man drafts added to rotation of Events. 2: Visual/Audible Notification of disconnect, deckbuild/afk time expiring and round starts. 3: Prize Payouts as close to draft sets as possible. 4: Rotate Classic draft queues monthly! 5: MOCS level events for Classic/Pauper 6: Power 9! 7: Award Promo Cards for Constructed PEs (esp for Legacy/Classic) 8: Program Split option back in! 9: Set Favorite version in deck editor (i.e. always use x swamp) 10: Better sorting of gold cards in deck editor. 11: Bring leagues Back!

Cool events!  One problem with the Sliver one though.... you're missing Legions, which has Slivers (in fact, 15 of them), but you put in Exodus, which DOESN'T have slivers!  May I recommend subbing out Exodus for Legions to make this a true Sliver set event?

Gishra wrote:

Cool events!  One problem with the Sliver one though.... you're missing Legions, which has Slivers (in fact, 15 of them), but you put in Exodus, which DOESN'T have slivers!  May I recommend subbing out Exodus for Legions to make this a true Sliver set event?

 

Very good idea.

Gishra wrote:

Cool events!  One problem with the Sliver one though.... you're missing Legions, which has Slivers (in fact, 15 of them), but you put in Exodus, which DOESN'T have slivers!  May I recommend subbing out Exodus for Legions to make this a true Sliver set event?

 

Great catch! We've made that change. Legions replaces Exodus in Sliver Farm.

 

Thanks!

WotC_ClaytonKroh wrote:

 

Gishra wrote:

Cool events!  One problem with the Sliver one though.... you're missing Legions, which has Slivers (in fact, 15 of them), but you put in Exodus, which DOESN'T have slivers!  May I recommend subbing out Exodus for Legions to make this a true Sliver set event?

 

 

Great catch! We've made that change. Legions replaces Exodus in Sliver Farm.

 

Thanks!

 

Impressively fast response! :D

 

Any chance of putting Tribal Wars back in whilst you're at it? ;)

pcjr wrote:

I tend to avoid phantom events, but I think they make sense in cases like this (as well as cube).

 

I disagree. They have already demonstrated that they are willing to "reprint" sets by doing flashback drafts, so why not also do it for very short-term, limited "fun" events like these? Quite often when I play these kind of events, I see a few people who drop early because they just don't know how to build a good deck with the cards and are losing, badly. Since part of the the reason they may have joined was to play with old cards, it would likely make them much happier (and more likely to play the events in the future), if they at least kept the cards after dropping.

 

Of course, this would have the side effect that maybe you shouldn't allow someone to join with Phantom tickets.

windigo wrote:

 

pcjr wrote:

I tend to avoid phantom events, but I think they make sense in cases like this (as well as cube).

 

 

I disagree. They have already demonstrated that they are willing to "reprint" sets by doing flashback drafts, so why not also do it for very short-term, limited "fun" events like these? Quite often when I play these kind of events, I see a few people who drop early because they just don't know how to build a good deck with the cards and are losing, badly. Since part of the the reason they may have joined was to play with old cards, it would likely make them much happier (and more likely to play the events in the future), if they at least kept the cards after dropping.

 

Of course, this would have the side effect that maybe you shouldn't allow someone to join with Phantom tickets.

 

Also, the event would be costed to reflect the 32 tickets worth of product being opened. As fun as they would be, nobody is going to pay 32 tickets for an event with "fun" as the primary drawcard.

andoru wrote:

 

 

Also, the event would be costed to reflect the 32 tickets worth of product being opened. As fun as they would be, nobody is going to pay 32 tickets for an event with "fun" as the primary drawcard.

 

This. I may even take time out of a busy day to play one at 10 tix. I'd never do it at 32.

Go draft, young man, go draft!

This is much much better than the previous phantom sealed event they ran for St Patrick's Day as we actually get prizes this time besides phantom points.  Getting 9 packs (and 16 phantom pts) for 10 tickets is great value if you can win especially since you get to enter another for free.  I will definitely be playing in a lot these.  Thank you Wizards for actually making a fun and rewarding phantom event!

 

 

Mojo wrote:

This is much much better than the previous phantom sealed event they ran for St Patrick's Day as we actually get prizes this time besides phantom points.  Getting 9 packs for 10 tickets is great value if you can win.  I will definitely be playing in a lot these.  Thank you Wizards for actually making a fun and rewarding phantom event!

 

Agreed. if they insist on charging 10 tickets, at least they have prizes this time.

Too bad these events fire in a random format. From what I understand you can't know when joining which format it will be, so you might be stuck with Core Set Sealed or some sets you don't even know any cards of. Would be better if at least an hour before launch you would know which one it is and decide upon joining based on that.

I would prefer phantom events with lower cost and prizes. They should feel like less of a commitment. I would like two ticket entry with reduced booster pack prizes such as only booster packs for X-0. I think that the phantom point entry and prizes are good though. I like that you can go X-0 or X-1 and get enough phantom points to play again.

PirateAmmo wrote:

I would prefer phantom events with lower cost and prizes. They should feel like less of a commitment. I would like two ticket entry with reduced booster pack prizes such as only booster packs for X-0. I think that the phantom point entry and prizes are good though. I like that you can go X-0 or X-1 and get enough phantom points to play again.

I would also prefer lower costs and therefore also lower prizes. I am much more willing to gamble with for example a 2 tix entry fee than the 10 tix entry fee.

 

The events seem fun but I doubt that I would be good in these formats so it is almost a certain loss for me to participate.

sikonawt                :Winner of the "I love MTGO" contest

Lawnmower_Elf    :Winner of the "Explain your name" contest
[censored by wotc] :Winner of the "Roasting the communications policy" contest

 

WotC_ClaytonKroh wrote:

 

Gishra wrote:

Cool events!  One problem with the Sliver one though.... you're missing Legions, which has Slivers (in fact, 15 of them), but you put in Exodus, which DOESN'T have slivers!  May I recommend subbing out Exodus for Legions to make this a true Sliver set event?

 

 

Great catch! We've made that change. Legions replaces Exodus in Sliver Farm.

 

Thanks!

 

Great, thanks for listening!

Personally I don't tend to play many phantom events if the prizes are mostly also phantom.

 

For example I played a phantom THS sealed for 6 tix* (to get practice of the format) without noticing that prizes were only phantom* and felt quite disappointed.  Adding 2 or 4 tix to that entry (ie 8 or 10 tix) and having a prize pool of half or one booster per player (respectively) seems much more enticing to me.

 

Therefore given the mix of phantom and real prizes, the pricing and prizes for these events seem about right to me, and I'll probably play more of these as a result. :-)

 

 *For those suggesting only 2 tix, just wondered why you think they should be pricing these popular novelty events lower than their regular offering? Or do you think they should reduce their regular offering price to 2 tix as well?

IkomaAze wrote:

Personally I don't tend to play many phantom events if the prizes are mostly also phantom.

 

For example I played a phantom THS sealed for 6 tix* (to get practice of the format) without noticing that prizes were only phantom* and felt quite disappointed.  Adding 2 or 4 tix to that entry (ie 8 or 10 tix) and having a prize pool of half or one booster per player (respectively) seems much more enticing to me.

 

Therefore given the mix of phantom and real prizes, the pricing and prizes for these events seem about right to me, and I'll probably play more of these as a result. :-)

 

 *For those suggesting only 2 tix, just wondered why you think they should be pricing these popular novelty events lower than their regular offering? Or do you think they should reduce their regular offering price to 2 tix as well?

 

Regular offering has two things going for it: it can be used as training for the sealed GPs, and it can be used to amass phantom points for the Cube drafts.  Novelty events are meant to be there just for fun, and should therefore offer lower entry barriers, and consequently lower prizes.

 

That said, I'm happy that they decided to raise the payout for the April phools events, and I hope this is a test for a more competitive phantom sealed current format queue.

Go draft, young man, go draft!

IkomaAze wrote:
*For those suggesting only 2 tix, just wondered why you think they should be pricing these popular novelty events lower than their regular offering? Or do you think they should reduce their regular offering price to 2 tix as well?

 

Not so much a thing for April Fools as it's not *really* a holiday that is celebrated, but it always kind of irks me when they do phantom events to celebrate a holiday and then charge you to the hilt for the privilege of playing in some ridiculous format. Meanwhile, other online games give me stuff for free for participating in holiday themed events.

WBurgess wrote:

 

IkomaAze wrote:
*For those suggesting only 2 tix, just wondered why you think they should be pricing these popular novelty events lower than their regular offering? Or do you think they should reduce their regular offering price to 2 tix as well?

 

 

Not so much a thing for April Fools as it's not *really* a holiday that is celebrated, but it always kind of irks me when they do phantom events to celebrate a holiday and then charge you to the hilt for the privilege of playing in some ridiculous format. Meanwhile, other online games give me stuff for free for participating in holiday themed events.

 

this. April Fool's? Nothing to do with selling stuff, so who's the fool?

 

 

Edit profile would mean email change for sure

 

IkomaAze wrote:

For those suggesting only 2 tix, just wondered why you think they should be pricing these popular novelty events lower than their regular offering? Or do you think they should reduce their regular offering price to 2 tix as well?

 

April Phool's events were a limited time offer, and they were scheduled rather than on demand, so I think it would be fine for them to have a better price than the queues. I think players would expect that, because there is a similar situation with constructed events. Constructed Daily events have the same entry as constructed elimination queues, but Daily events have better prizes.

Sign In to post comments