March 24th Article Discussion

15 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is to discuss the new MTGO article. The full article can be read here.

Alison L.
Associate Community Manager
Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

Please. Stop. Using. Alara. Booster. Block. Packs.

The block is so bad when all the cards are combined. The block is as bad as Masques set. It takes no skill to draft it. Block sets are bad. Dont ever do it again. Revert it back to ACR. Literally no reason to keep it at its current state. Such a bad joke its ridiculous. Or will this be another "due to legal reasons" excuse?

Also, I hope this upcoming flashback month wont be the last for another 6 months due to having 4 in a row. Should be an oldschool format once a month after April. That would at least keep players who dont like the new sets playing.

Thank You.

EDIT: Also what Calavera said. Need more MED. PLEASE!

EDIT 2: Nvm. Disregard my rant about Shards block packs drafting

They still need to do med drafts prior to Vintage Masters

Calavera on MTGO I collect Zendikar Foil Basic lands. Trade me yours! Things that I want to see changed on MTGO: 1: 64 man drafts added to rotation of Events. 2: Visual/Audible Notification of disconnect, deckbuild/afk time expiring and round starts. 3: Prize Payouts as close to draft sets as possible. 4: Rotate Classic draft queues monthly! 5: MOCS level events for Classic/Pauper 6: Power 9! 7: Award Promo Cards for Constructed PEs (esp for Legacy/Classic) 8: Program Split option back in! 9: Set Favorite version in deck editor (i.e. always use x swamp) 10: Better sorting of gold cards in deck editor. 11: Bring leagues Back!

mokja1 wrote:

Please. Stop. Using. Alara. Booster. Block. Packs.

It is just an entry option. Actual drafting for the event will use Shards of Alara/Conflux/Alara Reborn booster packs. The article makes it clear in the event details.

Mike Turian wrote:

PRODUCT

1 Shards of Alara booster pack

1 Conflux booster pack

1 Alara Reborn booster pack

*NOTE: Though Entry Option 3 allows special Magic Online-only booster packs, actual drafting for this event will use Shards of Alara/Conflux/Alara Reborn booster packs.

OMG!!!!!!!! I need to read better. Thank. You. So. Very. Much.

Im happy now.

Yay, a whole month's announced in advance!!! Gold star for communication in this one! And, the payouts appear to be pretty much perfect!

Calavera777 wrote:

What about 4 booster sealed like they did a while ago (the 64 player drafts were a bit hit and miss though)

I fear that there might be some key MED cards in Vintage Masters. This makes it unlikely they will do any MED events before then.

WBurgess wrote:

Calavera777 wrote:

What about 4 booster sealed like they did a while ago (the 64 player drafts were a bit hit and miss though)

not a horrible idea. I think the 64 mans were not a guy because they did al four together and people voted for the FoW lottery over other formats. 

Pcjr: I see no reason why having key cards in VM woukd make them hold off on med drafts.... One last money grab!

i have soooo many med packs  I need to get rid of!

Calavera on MTGO I collect Zendikar Foil Basic lands. Trade me yours! Things that I want to see changed on MTGO: 1: 64 man drafts added to rotation of Events. 2: Visual/Audible Notification of disconnect, deckbuild/afk time expiring and round starts. 3: Prize Payouts as close to draft sets as possible. 4: Rotate Classic draft queues monthly! 5: MOCS level events for Classic/Pauper 6: Power 9! 7: Award Promo Cards for Constructed PEs (esp for Legacy/Classic) 8: Program Split option back in! 9: Set Favorite version in deck editor (i.e. always use x swamp) 10: Better sorting of gold cards in deck editor. 11: Bring leagues Back!

I have several MED packs as well.  I really liked the 4 together (though that is probably because I had an agro deck that won it for me) and then the me4 drafts.

Thank you very much for so much warning on what is coming.  So many old draft formats I want to do coming up.  Scars, Lorwyn, and Shadowmoor.  I also look forward to trying out some Timespiral and some Alura.  Will have to look into Odyssey to see what its about and how I feel about it.

Those old draft formats are probably going to suck me back into the MTGO client again. 

Can you join with foil alara block booster packs?

smolensk wrote:

Can you join with foil alara block booster packs?

No, only Shards/Conflux/Alara or the regular combined boosters.

Alison L.
Associate Community Manager
Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

Calavera777 wrote:
Pcjr: I see no reason why having key cards in VM woukd make them hold off on med drafts.... One last money grab!

But, such a "money grab" could have an impact the VM "money grab"! What would generate more revenue, you using your existing MED packs to enter MED events, or you buying VM packs to enter VM events? I suppose if you have the funds you will just do both.

I'm not saying that I'm against more MED events, I really like them.

On the other hand, they might have MED events the month before VM is released to help drum up more attention for VM? No, that can't be it. I can't imaging how VM would need any more attention once people recognize that it contains power.

Looking at the calendar for when they could hold MED events prior to the VM release, I think the only available weeks for Flashback MED events are May 28-May 4 and May 4-May 11. If these do happen, I can't imagine they will be announced before late April.

I am absolutely ecstatic that the Alara drafts will use 1 Shards, 1 Conflux, 1 Reborn instead of awful collated boosters.

Drafts with 3 collated boosters feel nothing like the original format -  they feel more like cube, and we already get cube all the time.  

Sign In to post comments