Can I use my physical cards online

14 posts / 0 new
Last post

I much prefer to collect real life cards so that I may play with my friends and family, playing together with real cards is a lot more fun. Will I be able to some how transfer my physical cards online to use with magic online?

Not directly. You can sell your physical cards and use the money to buy the equivalent online versions. You might have money left over as online cards are generally cheaper.

Lame, I hope one day they will add such feature.

Edenwolf wrote:

I much prefer to collect real life cards so that I may play with my friends and family, playing together with real cards is a lot more fun.

I dont know how you can get to the conclusion that MTG is more fun than MTGO without having played both? You can play your family and friends on mtgo and it is cheaper like it has already been said. But you can also play anyone else at all times. You can play 2hg with your friends against other players etc.

Playing online is a lot of fun.

Edenwolf wrote:

No it is actually not lame. Why & How had you imagined that you could get you paper cards online?

There is a link between paper and online cards but it goes the other way. Newer sets are redeemable ie. If you collect all cards in a set you can choose to redeem them at a fee. Then the cards will be taken off your online account and mailed to you as paper cards. It works well if you are in the US.

sikonawt                :Winner of the "I love MTGO" contest

Lawnmower_Elf   :Winner of the "Explain your name" contest

Cauchy wrote:

Edenwolf wrote:

I much prefer to collect real life cards so that I may play with my friends and family, playing together with real cards is a lot more fun.

I dont know how you can get to the conclusion that MTG is more fun than MTGO without having played both? You can play your family and friends on mtgo and it is cheaper like it has already been said. But you can also play anyone else at all times. You can play 2hg with your friends against other players etc.

Playing online is a lot of fun.

Edenwolf wrote:

No it is actually not lame. Why & How had you imagined that you could get you paper cards online?

There is a link between paper and online cards but it goes the other way. Newer sets are redeemable ie. If you collect all cards in a set you can choose to redeem them at a fee. Then the cards will be taken off your online account and mailed to you as paper cards. It works well if you are in the US.

No, it is lame for those who have built decks from the start, paying 100's if not thousands and having to start all over again.

Edenwolf wrote:

No, it is lame for those who have built decks from the start, paying 100's if not thousands and having to start all over again.

What do you expect? Are they going to let you scan in old cards? Anyone could just borrow cards and scan them in to get everything online and never pay a dime.

Besides that, servers and programmers don't pay for themselves. It costs money to create a digital version of the game, and if that's a valuable service to you, you can pay for it. If not, feel free not to. 

I stopped playing paper about 10 years ago. I'd like to get back into FNM and other things. Can I get paper copies of my old digital cards while you're getting digital copies of your paper cards? I've spent 100's of dollars on these digital cards over the years. I have lots of Modern Masters in digital form.

Wellll...

Along the lines of 101 uses for a dead cat...

Sure you can use your paper cardsto play MOL.

1. You can level your keyboard or monitor.

2. They make great coasters.

uhhh, help me out here folks.

Thank you, Erik.

Algona wrote:

Wellll...

Along the lines of 101 uses for a dead cat...

Sure you can use your paper cardsto play MOL.

uhhh, help me out here folks.

That's about it - although if you get crumbs stuck in your keyboard, and your can of air is empty...

PRJ

I write State of the Program, appearing every Friday on PureMTGO.com.

Edenwolf wrote:

Even online, it is a collectable card game.  People paid for their cards, or earned them in events.  Same as paper.

Moreover, Wizards cannot know who owns how many paper cards.  Peopl;e trade paper cards all the time, without notifying Wizards.    However, Wizards can, and and does, know who owned each and every digital card in existence.  The could easiy know who to send paper copies to.    So maybe wizards should send us paper copies of all of our digital cards.   It's not like adding tens of thousands of copies of cards like Taberrnacle of Pendrell Vale would have any impact on paper prices. 

New accounts come with some cards, and new player events are cheap.  Getting the cards to play formats like Legacy online, though, takes some effort and/or money.  Just like in paper.

I would like to drive a NASCAR car.  It would be nice if someone gave me one for free, but that is not how the world works.

PRJ

I write State of the Program, appearing every Friday on PureMTGO.com.

Algona wrote:

Sure you can use your paper cards to play MOL.

• If it get too hot when playing MTGO then spread out 7 of your paper cards and start fanning your face.
  • Build a (...small...) House of Cards while waiting for next round in a tournament.

sikonawt                :Winner of the "I love MTGO" contest

Lawnmower_Elf   :Winner of the "Explain your name" contest

You forgot the numbering, so I'll help out:

3 - Clean out keyboard - PRJ

4 - Fan yourself - cauchy

5 - Build a house of cards - cauchy

6 - Bizarre notes to your roomates - Algona

95 more to go until we finish 101 uses for dead trees.

Thank you, Erik.

Come on, no one's suggested using them for bookmarks yet?

Given we're in the 21st century, the technology exists to make paper and digital interoperable. If every paper card had a uniquely identifying chip in it (rfid/bluetooth or whatever), and if mtgo supported interfaces like google glass that can overlay cyberspace on your view of reality then you would have everything required to do it. Now that would be a market leading product...