Duel Wield, Part 1 [11/18/13 Article]

8 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is to discuss today's Magic Online article, written by Jon Loucks of R&D, on Duel Scene hotkeys, tips, & tricks for the Wide Beta client.

You can read the article here!

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

That article could very well be a part of the client, as some tips / faq / help section in the client itself.

Good article but....

Everytime he said "this could be done in client in the future" (the paragraph right above "stack abilities" I cringed a little as it shows the kind of thought that was missing from v4 design. But I guess this makes me happy for the future as mr loucks apparently does get it!

Calavera on MTGO I collect Zendikar Foil Basic lands. Trade me yours! Things that I want to see changed on MTGO: 1: 64 man drafts added to rotation of Events. 2: Visual/Audible Notification of disconnect, deckbuild/afk time expiring and round starts. 3: Prize Payouts as close to draft sets as possible. 4: Rotate Classic draft queues monthly! 5: MOCS level events for Classic/Pauper 6: Power 9! 7: Award Promo Cards for Constructed PEs (esp for Legacy/Classic) 8: Program Split option back in! 9: Set Favorite version in deck editor (i.e. always use x swamp) 10: Better sorting of gold cards in deck editor. 11: Bring leagues Back!

I don't really understand this article.

All those features are there for at least a year, so why hightlight them just now in an article on the mtgo front page?

Why not just, you know write this thing called a user manual, or even tutorials, like every other PROFESSIONAL software company ever does for their products?

The M key can really speed up Constructed play when you've got a lot of dual lands in your deck. When casting a spell, I typically pay for the colored costs first by using the context menus of my dual lands, then hold M and tap lands for the colorless costs. Just be careful with your lands like Cavern of Souls, when you care about exactly which mana ability is used.

In the future, we could make this more integrated into the normal mana-payment flow. For example, it could be that Magic Online treats it like you're always in the holding-M state while paying for colorless costs. Similarly, maybe this feature finds the "best fit" mana to use if the land can add the color of mana to your pool that matches the color of mana you need. This gets a little tricky with lands like Abandoned Outpost, as you might accidentally end up sacrificing them, but it's worth going down that design path to see what we find. As usual, this isn't a promise of things to come, just a look into the design space we're exploring.

This would make me so happy if this finally gets implemented.

I still think that its really bad design to use regular keys as modifier keys, but the average user won't give a ****, and the average modo developer probably doesn't care enough about such things as design practices.

@calavera: some things are a natural progression. First you make a thing, then you improve it. At some level, you need to stop thinking about improvements, and make the first working version. Or you never get anything done.

@steBtwo: I'm curious what your solution would be. The problem I see about using, let's say, shift instead of M as the modifier, is that those buttons should be reserved for more important functions; like control is now reserved for holding priority. But then, what interface shortcut is important is often a personal preference.

Go draft, young man, go draft!

Some good points made in the article. The recognition that 'tribal knowledge' should be accessible in the client. The need for better readouts of what auto-yields are in force. Being able to remap functions (the M key for instance has a nice mnemonic but is slow to locate unless you look away from the screen and fiddly when your trackpad is below a qwerty keyboard). Zoom has been erratic in the beta so far, sometimes entirely broken, at other times laggy or interrmittently working. I like being able to lock zoom mode with the ctrl key and then being able to fly the cursor over my card pool - this also isn't reliable, an sometimes you end up unable to unzoom! The auto yields are great, but don't fully support common magic playstyles, e.g. in draw/go decks you want what F4 does, but to also stop in opponents end step.

The disappointing thing about the article is how a lot of the nice ideas are still presented as future enhancements. I really think after 10 years and v4 of the client we ought to be further ahead.

Zlehtnoba wrote:

@calavera: some things are a natural progression. First you make a thing, then you improve it. At some level, you need to stop thinking about improvements, and make the first working version. Or you never get anything done.

@steBtwo: I'm curious what your solution would be. The problem I see about using, let's say, shift instead of M as the modifier, is that those buttons should be reserved for more important functions; like control is now reserved for holding priority. But then, what interface shortcut is important is often a personal preference.

the two functions wouldn't clash.

Casting and cost paying happen during a different time during the casting of a spell.

Also their are 7 possibly configurations to press the modifier keys (assuming you don't use "alt gr")

Zlehtnoba wrote:

v3 worked. The new client is not much of an improvement. In fact the only thing I like better is build while you draft. It seems like all the other changes were minor. And it was debatable if they are actually improvements. I wonder what it would have looked like had Loucks been the designer?

Calavera on MTGO I collect Zendikar Foil Basic lands. Trade me yours! Things that I want to see changed on MTGO: 1: 64 man drafts added to rotation of Events. 2: Visual/Audible Notification of disconnect, deckbuild/afk time expiring and round starts. 3: Prize Payouts as close to draft sets as possible. 4: Rotate Classic draft queues monthly! 5: MOCS level events for Classic/Pauper 6: Power 9! 7: Award Promo Cards for Constructed PEs (esp for Legacy/Classic) 8: Program Split option back in! 9: Set Favorite version in deck editor (i.e. always use x swamp) 10: Better sorting of gold cards in deck editor. 11: Bring leagues Back!
Sign In to post comments