10/9 Wide Beta Article

18 posts / 0 new
Last post

This is a thread to discuss the article "Magic Online Wide Beta Update 10/9/13" discussing the latest Wide Beta client news. You can read the article here.

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

Looking forward to it and I hope it's good news for us!

PureMTGO.com
Cape Fear Games located in Wilmington, NC. Get 20% extra MTGO credit for your paper cards.

Article is up now!  Glad to hear they brought in external consultants to help with their underlying infrastructure performance issues.  Hopefully we eventually get a new binder view as well for browsing collections.  As for the the cool thing to help players move to the new beta, how about Pack War events like my dream the other day? :D This would definitely help eat up the inventory of older packs and drive up value long term.

Hopefully leagues actually come through with this version.  How many years has it been now without them?  Adding four booster sealed has definitely helped fill the gap for those of us who like sealed deck but don't have the time to commit to premier events, but they still don't give the same experience as leagues.

Not sure if it'd be possible but after playing Hearthstone a bit, some kind of league system similar to Arena would be pretty cool, play until you lose X times, prizes based on how many wins you got.

You wouldn't even need the league to have a start or end date, just a continuous ongoing event people join (and are eliminated from once they hit X losses). You could have the prizes scale up as far as you want, and put stuff like really sweet foil promos at really high win numbers to give people something to shoot for.

Got to say I'm shocked/impressed/happy they brought in external experts. I hope it all goes well and it is quite encouraging news.

Leagues: I will reiterate what I've said - a rolling daily event is not a league so I hope that is not what they are planning. As we apparently now have a time frame - shall we take bets now on if they meet it and or how long after that timeline we actually see them?

Myths of Theros: Part 1, Part 2, Born of the Gods Myths

Beta Client, "Shiny", V4.0 tutorial

Momir Basic Primer

YES! Yes yes yes yes! I'm so glad you finally admitted there was a problem you weren't able to address yourselves (no scorn intended!) and brought in some external people. If you stick to this policy of not accepting mediocricy I'm 100% sure /a lot/ of new players are gonna come running to MTGO. The potential player base is huge but most people aren't willing to put their money into something amateurish and unstable. I support this fully.

While I don't care about Leagues in the slightiest, isn't it pretty insulting to the people that actually do to post an article every 3 months that promieses leagues to them only to disappoint them when the date arrives?

It would actually be pretty nice to link the appropriate article, for those like me, who cant find it.

jossch wrote:

It would actually be pretty nice to link the appropriate article, for those like me, who cant find it.

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Digital/MagicOnline.aspx?x=mtg/digital/magiconline/newsandupdate

the topmost article

you should generally visit the linked site regulary if you play mtgo, it's one of the main news outputs. (the others are twitter and the development blog)

This article is probably the best news I've seen regarding MtGO in a loong time. Two things stand out for me: external experts, and no fixed retirement date for v3. These are, IMO, both giant steps in the right direction. Well done, whoever made those decisions.

Leagues next summer? It takes a lot of courage to post such a long-term prediction on so sensitive an issue, with the client still in development. Let's hope it will work out.

Go draft, young man, go draft!

I just hope that they figure out a way to increase the font size on all those little buttons and text boxes.  It's not easy on some of us old fogies.

I am cautiously optimistic.

It doesn't really say much though, does it? I am happy that they can speed up collection x4, however that will still be glacially slow on many systems and I assume it's still based on WPF, hence will always struggle for speed.

They also blame old client specs for poor performance, but fail to address the contribution of the greatly increased network activity compared to v3.

I will believe it when I see it as they say.

xger wrote:

Got to say I'm shocked/impressed/happy they brought in external experts. I hope it all goes well and it is quite encouraging news.

Leagues: I will reiterate what I've said - a rolling daily event is not a league so I hope that is not what they are planning.

I agree.  I hope leagues, when they finally return, are as close to the original versions as possible.

Gishra wrote:

I agree.  I hope leagues, when they finally return, are as close to the original versions as possible.

I don't. I hope they are something well designed from the ground up without being constrained by old ideas.

(Oh, and that the payouts don't suck.)

andoru wrote:

Gishra wrote:

I don't. I hope they are something well designed from the ground up without being constrained by old ideas.

Agreed, I think people are wearing rose tinted glasses when they remember how leagues were seeing its been so long.

This is good news.  Well done to those who made the decisions.

WBurgess wrote:

andoru wrote:
Gishra wrote:

Agreed, I think people are wearing rose tinted glasses when they remember how leagues were seeing its been so long.

I'm all for reasonable and good changes. I am not for the rolling daily events suggested by Matt Sperling (I think that's who it was). Those are fine alongside leagues but not as leagues. I want to be able to play as much as I want with the pool, to be able to overtime add packs to my pool, and to be able to change my build between matches. I am not attached to the tie-break system, the super flat pay-out, or the specifics of timing. I think there is plenty of room for improvement but without the 3 items I listed I wanted I do not really seem them as leagues.

Myths of Theros: Part 1, Part 2, Born of the Gods Myths

Beta Client, "Shiny", V4.0 tutorial

Momir Basic Primer